HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury, UFA.. thoughts?

Old
03-03-2007, 08:05 PM
dank

vCash: 500
Drury, UFA.. thoughts?

i am watching the Buffalo vs Maple Leafs game on MSG and caught the 2nd half of an interview they had with Chris Drury. Below is a paraphrase of what he said in response to the UFA question:

I love Buffalo. It's great place to live, the team is in first place so its a great feeling coming to work every morning. There's not much to complain about.. I hope i'll be here, but the focus is on the remaining games.. I would be cheating fans if i did not do that, then its the playoffs, etc.

The commentators had the following to say in response:

It is going to cost an awful lot, who knows, but you'd love to see him here..

He is a great player with heart, when you get a guy like that you keep him. How much is it going to cost? Whatever it takes..

Then they bring up Daniel Briere and acknowledge that the GM will have his hands full..

Questions:
Do you think he'll leave? (w/ or w/o Cup?)
Do you want him here?
What kind of a contract would you be willing for him to get?
Who do you think the Sabres focus on if they can only keep one of Briere and Drury?
Lines with Drury?

Sidenote:
I searched the forum before i posted this to see if there was previous discussion and i found this:

Fair to say Helminen can be a C.Drury / J.Madden type player ?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=Drury

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:26 PM
JamesG1221

Do you think he'll leave? (w/ or w/o Cup?)
Do you want him here?
What kind of a contract would you be willing for him to get?
Who do you think the Sabres focus on if they can only keep one of Briere and Drury?
Lines with Drury?

I for one don't see the Rangers resigning Nylander and getting a center the same caliber as Drury. Therefore if he were signed I would think it would be as a number one center...Sather may frown upon breaking up the Jagr line...Teams like Philly and St. Louis are going to have cap space to offer him a 3-4 year deal ranging from 5-6 million a season and to me they have a little advantage with former Sabres such as Biron and McKee doing some recruiting for them...

Aside from that, Hockey is a business and most players will say the same things as the comments you listed from him and as far as wanting him here I think that's a no brainer..30 teams and their fans wouldn't mind having Drury in their jersey...

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
xander

given the choice, I'd rather persue Briere, who is just entering his prime, rather than drury, who is probably in the second half of his.

You have to be careful with both players. I like them, but I feel that they're talents are eccentuated on a team like buffallo. On another team both are probably legit first line centers, but neither are franchise players, and I wouldn't be interested in giving either of them franchise player money.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Zil

I'm getting very wary of them signing even marquee players. It seems like somehow they always manage to fill spots with veterans that should really be going to the kids. I think they should open up about a half dozen spots and let the kids play for them.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Meh, hes good but theres a couple other UFAs I'd rather get instead.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:48 AM
bleedblue94

someone is going to give him top dollar when he is a very good but not great player. dont read into that, but hes just not a number 1 center. but someone is going to give him #1 center money. also after the concussion he got id be very vary of dishing out huge money to him.

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:01 AM
GarretJoseph*

so many which ufa free agent should we sign threads... lets let the season end first.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Briere

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:21 AM
The Thomas J.*

I always like Dury from way back when, going back to his days on the AVS. The Rangers never eally seem to take an intrest in him from what I can remember

I cant see any team offering Nylander a 3 or 4 year contract as another poster alluded to earlier, All the teams & Nylander know almost 50% of his offense is a product of playing with Jagr and to some extent Straka.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Richter35

my question is, if savard got $5mill coming off a 97 point season, what is drury worth? if its less than that, plus the bump in cap space, i dont see how buffalo can't keep the two of them.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

I wouldnt mind the guy depending the price tag ofcourse, but it also depends if NYR resigns guys like Nylander,Shanny,Avery and what other guys there are. NYR dont need to keep adding guys in there 30's they really need to get some kids up here, thats what should be done.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Drury is a very good player and a great leader. However, having watched him since the beginning of his career, I would NOT give him top dollar. As I said, Drury is a very good player, but Briere and Gomez are better. If we could have our choice of who to get, I would take Briere. However, if Drury is left, I'd definately take him, but I wouldn't take him over some other options.
I think either Drury or Briere are going to leave because Buffalo is close to the cap, and unless they pull a Kariya/Selanne they won't be able to keep them both.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote