HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "It's All Over, Folks" Thread

Old
03-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
We're Done - Plekanec and Halak vs. the league

That's essentially what it has become.

Wow, what a fall from grace. Fire the coach.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Don't forget Souray...he's the only one scoring!

Owen Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Hab-a-maniac

The "It's All Over, Folks" Thread

Yes, we can all post our thoughts and ideas on why this team sucks so much now and is destined to miss the playoffs for the first time since.... 2003 (wow, when it seems like yesterday you know your team is a doormat franchise). I bet the next home game will be a sellout, but don't be surprised if the boos reign down on the team once things go wrong. It'd be a messge that needs to be heard from the home fans. We have now officially wiped out the 4 wins in 5 games surge that had us thinking we were going to make it.

All you calling for the trade of Souray, you just get the feeling that even if we dealt him we'd get a total **** return as usual. Our winning ways were just a span that only prolonged the inevitable. At the current pace we've been on this whole season, we're only gonna finish with 87 pts. (40-35-7). It's gonna take a few more wins than that to get in. Oh man, there's gonna be some changes on the way thanks to this disgraceful finish to what could've been a breakthrough season for this team. The locker room problems need to be eradicated before we can land big free agents. I want Souray back but I think we can afford let go of some other guys to make room.

It'll be difficult to get rid of the contracts of Kovalev, Boullion and Dandeneault but definitely find a way for the non-Kovy guys. Re-sign all the RFA's but also let Bonk, Ninnimaa, Downey (replace him with Laracque or something) and Abby (isn't he a UFA?) go. Try trading up in the draft too if you can, as we have 2 1st rounders at the moment. I hope next season we can look like this. If this doesn't work financially, we can trade off in this prefered order: 1. Ryder, 2. Johnson.

Higgins-UFA (Briere?)-Ryder
Latendresse-Koivu-Kostitsyn
Johnson-Lapierre-Begin/UFA
goon/Perezhogin-Chipchura/Grabovsky-Murray/Milroy

Souray-Markov
Komisarek-UFA
Gorges-Streit
7th: Cote, Benoit

Huet
Halak
Danis
Price (wild card)

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Pleks, Halak, and Kostisyn stood out tonight. Kovalev played horrible, and Samsonov, Higgins, and Ryder slept all night. Dandenault, Streit, and Gorges were impressive. Souray was his usual offensively productive, defensively destructive self, and Komisarek, besides a bonehead giveaway that resulted in a 2 on 1 goal, played well.

The highlight of this game to me was Halak's goaltending. With a supporting cast, this guy will be as good as Roy.

I don't expect much from the team now, but I think the future looks very, very bright for the Habs.

I think Kovy, Abby, Sammy, Souray, Murray, Downey, and Bouillon need to go at the end of the season. They do not fit this team IMO.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Shabutie

Halak has 2 games over .900% and people are ready to king him?

He's playing good but it's not like he's the greatest. I think Kost has done better in his latest call up than Halak

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:25 PM
IcemanTBI

Well, this version of the Habs really sucks. I don't know how we did so well early on in the season. This was a year that I thought would be the breakout year for this team. After such a promising start, we get a disgraceful finish. Will we make the playoffs? I doubt it. Tonight was the last nail in the coffin I think.

Why did we do so bad? Simple. Because we can't score even strength. Early in the season, we relied too much on the powerplay, which was going to catch up to us sooner or later. Bad penalties at bad moments of the game are another. That, coupled with the brutal PK we have at the moment, cost us many, many games since Dec. 23.

Kovalev sucks. Souray has a good shot, but he is a very overated Defencman. That turnover tonight was brutal, but it's not the first time he made a brutal play in his own end. Samsonov's gotten better, but it seems to me he gets rewarded by being benched. I could go on and on, so many floaters on this team. Lats is not ready for the NHL yet, same with Lapierre. Kosty is definitely NHL ready, he should have been playing earlier in the season, heck should have gotten the spot during training camp instead of Tender.

This is just a bad team that relied on the PP early on the year, and that clearly caught up to them. There needs to be massive changes in personel during the offseason.

The big positive of course is our prospects. And, hopefully, within a couple years when they are mature enough to make an impact, we may be competitve.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

He's playing good but it's not like he's the greatest. I think Kost has done better in his latest call up than Halak
The SVP and GAA really don't matter when the team is playing like ****.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Halak is performing almost like Theodore performed in 1997, when he got called up. He was very sound, but given his relative age, we can't really expect much else from him.

Tomas Plekanec was our best player easily tonight. His hustle and his fearlessness (against a defenseman who is almost a foot taller than him) is what impressed me most. Plekanec is the type of guy who seems unafraid of anything, and that play in the third period where he went to the net after beating Chara one on one was indicative of that. It's a shame that other players on this team don't have the same hustle that Plekanec has, because it would certainly make a difference. I think the Sabres are successful because it seems like everyone of their players know how to work.

I also agree about Kostitsyn looking good. He played very well, especially in the third, playing off of Plekanec's energy. It was clear that tonight was Tim Thomas's night despite those two guys' effort.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
That's essentially what it has become.

Wow, what a fall from grace. Fire the coach.
Seems like Plekanec is the only one out there putting all the effort out and it shows in his play...can't say the same about the others except for the odd good play here and there. If they all played like him and showed that much heart every single game and still lost it wouldn't hurt as much, but when it looks like they've all given up.....

I think Carbo made a big mistake when they were losing due to the flu and he decided to change everything up. Before all that happened the lines had finally gelled. Either way....the players can take it upon themselves to play with all their effort and heart regardless....they're all big boys.....

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
momotan

Assuming they don't make the playoffs, It's probably time to clean up. I don't see Carbo putting up with another season of 50% effort players. So assuming you won't get any big UFA to come here (mandatory french schooling for their kids, press, taxes, agents discouraging it) and assuming you can unload the part time effort guys your roster will look something like this.

Samsonov, Kovalev, Perrozhogin, Bouillon, Dandenault would need to be bought out/traded. I don't see Bonk, Johnson, or Surray coming back.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
??-Plecanic-??
??-??-??
Lattendresse-Lapierre-Begin

Markov-Komisarek
??-??
Gorges-Streit

Huet
Halak
Price

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
kernkraft

I agree with OP, but I think we can still enjoy the rest of the season. It's called "lowered expectations": I go into every game expecting my beloved habs to lose badly, that way I don't feel bad when they lose. When they win, it's a bonus!

A terrible season that had a good beginning...

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:43 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Fire Carbo, please.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
Assuming they don't make the playoffs, It's probably time to clean up. I don't see Carbo putting up with another season of 50% effort players. So assuming you won't get any big UFA to come here (mandatory french schooling for their kids, press, taxes, agents discouraging it) and assuming you can unload the part time effort guys your roster will look something like this.

Samsonov, Kovalev, Perrozhogin, Bouillon, Dandenault would need to be bought out/traded. I don't see Bonk, Johnson, or Surray coming back.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
??-Plecanic-??
??-??-??

Markov-Komisarek
??-??
Gorges-Streit

Huet
Halak
Price
Like your defense. Offensively, Kostisyn and Perezhogin should be there. Not so sure about Lats.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
optimus2861

Without Plekanec, and Souray's PP goals, I don't think we'd have won a single game since Christmas.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If anyone says Tim Thomas played well, I'm gonna scream. We shot it in his chest every chance we got (which provided was a rare occasion).

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Tusk

No way they buy out Bouillon or Dandenault, stuck with them until the end of their contracts. Bouillons contract is what will hamper the defence for 3 more years, the reason Souray will be gone and the reason that if Souray was to stay, there would be no room for a young defenseman or wild-card type of trade, unless there's a Bouillon sucker GM out there, maybe Pittsburgh with Savard there? I doubt it. I would keep Dandy still, even if he was the 7th D, but having Bouillons contract makes playing with the D as uncreative as the coaching staff.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:54 PM
kernkraft

...and it's the end of the world as we know it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
goon/Perezhogin-Chipchura/Grabovsky-Murray/Milroy
Come on bud, we can't put Grabovski on the fourth line. We need him with Kosty.

Anyways, it is definitely time to rebuild from scratch. Trade away the "untouchables" that are holding us back and get this organization on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
No way they buy out Bouillon or Dandenault, stuck with them until the end of their contracts.
I remember that the Carolina Hurricanes were very interested in Bouillon, Pierre Houde mentioned it during the habs' last game against Carolina.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Pleks, Halak, and Kostisyn stood out tonight. Kovalev played horrible, and Samsonov, Higgins, and Ryder slept all night. Dandenault, Streit, and Gorges were impressive. Souray was his usual offensively productive, defensively destructive self, and Komisarek, besides a bonehead giveaway that resulted in a 2 on 1 goal, played well.

The highlight of this game to me was Halak's goaltending. With a supporting cast, this guy will be as good as Roy.

I don't expect much from the team now, but I think the future looks very, very bright for the Habs.

I think Kovy, Abby, Sammy, Souray, Murray, Downey, and Bouillon need to go at the end of the season. They do not fit this team IMO.
I missed the game, but Dandenault? Come on... You must be kidding.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
CHice

Send a message via MSN to CHice
Quote:

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
??-Plecanic-??
??-??-??

Markov-Komisarek
??-??
Gorges-Streit

Huet
Halak
Price
after 4 playoff games it would still be time to rip apart house and ge t the dead weight out. (kovalev,samsonov,johnson and so on

CHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

I tend myself to overrate Halak cause Aebischer just look so unbelievably bad lately... When Halak makes a couple of nice solid saves, without sprawling around like a dog chasing his tail at the slightest head fake, like Abby does, Halak suddenly looks like a brick wall

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
CHice

Send a message via MSN to CHice
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
No way they buy out Bouillon or Dandenault, stuck with them until the end of their contracts. Bouillons contract is what will hamper the defence for 3 more years, the reason Souray will be gone and the reason that if Souray was to stay, there would be no room for a young defenseman or wild-card type of trade, unless there's a Bouillon sucker GM out there, maybe Pittsburgh with Savard there? I doubt it. I would keep Dandy still, even if he was the 7th D, but having Bouillons contract makes playing with the D as uncreative as the coaching staff.
souray is worth 6 million eh? thats a 6 million $ turnover tonight

CHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
[I]I remember that the Carolina Hurricanes were very interested in Bouillon, Pierre Houde mentioned it during the habs' last game against Carolina.
Of course....Rutherford! Gainey should offer to hand-wash his car if he takes Frankie B, that GM loves heart over skill everyday of the week, why didn't I think of Rutherford, good call kernkraft!

Old
03-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHice View Post
souray is worth 6 million eh? thats a 6 million $ turnover tonight
In the context of Bouillons contract he's worth 15 mil

Bouillon wouldn't be a concern of mine or most Habs fans if he was making minimum or no more than 600K.

Old
03-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
??-Plecanic-??
??-??-??

Markov-Komisarek
??-??
Gorges-Streit

Huet
Halak
Price
Once the season is done, signing Markov has to be our first priority above all else. Without a solid puck moving defenseman, this team isn't going anywhere, and Markov is the type of defenseman that flourishes in this new NHL (look at the emergence of guys like Timmonen, Johnsson, Zidlicky, etc...).

I would really like to see Bonk and Johnson both back. If you look at what they've done all year statistically, it is quite impressive. Gabe Desjardins, who is a brilliant statistician, has compiled the quality of opponent players line up against, all season. According to his latest rankings, Bonk and Johnson are 2 and 3 in terms of toughest opposition faced (http://www.behindthenet.ca/qual_comp.html). Considering how well these two guys have performed defensively for us, Gainey needs to recognize that they are important pieces.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I dont know.. if we lose most of our games now we could get a top 10 draft pick.

Rise from the Ashes is online now   Reply With Quote