HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moose as GM or Coach?

Old
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
kwanjie

vCash: 500
Moose as GM or Coach?

How do you think Messier will fair if he was our GM or Coach?

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
kwanjie

oh yeah I'd love to see him as our coach haha

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
OntOilFan

NO!!!!!!!

No more Oilers running this team!

PLEASE!

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Chuba

vCash: 130
Right...and no more Lowe's friend on this team...

Chuba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I wouldn't mind him with the organisation, just not anything REALLY prominant, maybe like Head Scout or something, but GM or Coach, thats too much love for my liking...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
nanook

He has already come out and said that he would like to be the Rangers GM when Slats leaves.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
If we were ever going to go with the "jobs for the boys" mentality Mess should have been the very first one hired.
The guy is a proven winner & almost undoubtedly the greatest leader in the history of pro-sports.
His hands-on affiliation with this hockey club in any regard would only benefit this team & this organization in general.
He knows exactly what it takes to win.....he knows exactly how to get the best out of the guys around him.
His sheer presence would garner massive amounts of respect - respect we've not seen since Sather was at the helm in the glory days.
The closer Mess was to the players, the better.
I don't know if I'd be comfortable with him jumping into a head coaching role obviously, but as an assistant coach/motivator #11 would be killer.

And at a time when this organization is reeling his injection into the fold would lift this franchise immesurably almost instantly in my opinion.

There's not another Oiler alumni I'd consider bringing in before Messier, Gretz included.
The guy just has something special within him that a precious few people have & certainly that this organization has not seen since October 1991.

Personally I'd welcome him with open arms.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Sayuri

I think Messier would make a better coach than a GM just because of his leadership skills.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:27 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I would welcome him in a co-coach capacity. I want MacT's analytical mind but I want Mess's locker-room and on ice presence.

It would work like this. Mess and MacT come to an agreement on a general playing style. Then MacT draws up the plays, works the team defense and PK. Huddy still has the actual defense. Mess teaches the team offense, PP(with Simmer) and gives the speeches.

I think that is a dynamite coaching staff, each playing to their strengths. Football teams have a million coaches doing different things, why can't we? Mess would be a great help with the team..

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:29 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
i'm 110% in agreement with OntOilFan. the last thing this organization needs is MORE nepotism.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:58 AM
HotToddy

The "great" leader also went 7 straight seasons without a playoff appearance.

I will say this, he amazed me by how intelligent he sounded between periods with Hrudey breaking down film.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:00 AM
feff

Send a message via Yahoo to feff
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
i'm 110% in agreement with OntOilFan. the last thing this organization needs is MORE nepotism.
As a Flames fan, I say "do it".

feff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Blatherblah

Umm.. How about giving Simpson another job and making Messier run the Oilers' offense and power play???

I think this is a sound business decision even if it is another ex-Oiler. Simpson can't even really complain because hell, can he honestly say he could run a PP better than the Moose??

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
I vote a big YES. If you follow the Eskimo model you always promote from within, that way the winning ways of the organization are passed on from one generation to the next.

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Ofuzz

As great a player as Messier was, it's no secret that he had an ego the size to match his talent. I feel those two things combined would be casting way too big of a shadow over this young team for them to ever be able to relax and just play hockey. Young players might be looking to move on rather than stick it out here.

Ofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
I was debating whether or not I'd post on this thread, so here I am anyways.

I think the Moose could/would do three things, coach, become the GM, and excel. You know how much influence this man possesses? People can criticize all they want about having another ex-Oiler run the team, but I don't think at the moment their'd be a better man for this Oiler organization other than the Moose himself. The only problem with that would be Lowe stepping down from the throne, because.. you know.. I cannot see the moose offing Lowe or even being desperate enough to be the Oilers GM.. or coach for that matter.

~Moose traits~

Influence: The Moose would beable to lure whatever type player he so desired to this organization.

Leadership: Look at his history.

Knowledge: His knowledge of the game is un-questionable.

Backbone: He's got a huge sack of marbles!

Determination: Name another whom can be compared.. Well, I know a few that can, but like I said, a few.

He's got the look, that stare that can see your inner organs. This man can certainly run the show.. you just have to wear a thin layer of lead.. ya never know.

Last edited by Vagabond: 03-04-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofuzz View Post
As great a player as Messier was, it's no secret that he had an ego the size to match his talent. I feel those two things combined would be casting way too big of a shadow over this young team for them to ever be able to relax and just play hockey. Young players might be looking to move on rather than stick it out here.
Do they look relaxed and able to "just play hockey" at the moment to you right now, or all season?

Old
03-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Captain Pilsner

well we could use a new PP coach...

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:45 PM
The Human Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
I vote a big YES. If you follow the Eskimo model you always promote from within, that way the winning ways of the organization are passed on from one generation to the next.
right, because the eskimos are a model franchise to base your strategy on right now? have you watched ANY football for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

Old
03-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
right, because the eskimos are a model franchise to base your strategy on right now? have you watched ANY football for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

Have you? Prior to last season, the Esks have done quite well for themselves in the last 4-5 seasons.

Old
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Soundwave

I know he wants to be GM in New York, but I think Slats still has plans to be there for a few more years, and Mess needs some experience before just becoming a GM I think.

If he wanted to work here as an assitant coach (dump Simpson), that'd be just fine.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:14 PM
The Human Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Have you? Prior to last season, the Esks have done quite well for themselves in the last 4-5 seasons.
the esks have been on a steady decline for about the last half-decade. prior to about the late 1990's they were THE model franchise of the CFL. however, their botched handling of ron lancaster and then don matthews, the ill-advised promotion of tom higgins and then danny maciocia to head coach, and a few years of VERY questionable trading/hiring/recruitment practices have left a huge black smear on the organization.

right, until last year they had still done OK on the field, but if you can ask an insider (which I have) they'll likely tell you that the head office has been a huge s**tshow for years now.

Old
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Jamie

I think Moose would do great in either role personally. The guy commands respect and is the ultimate leader. First and foremost he's a winner, and winners know what it takes to win. He'll need a little bit of grooming, so I say we make him Coach of our AHL team starting next season, and then once MacT's contract expires (unless MacT has the team running like a well oiled machine at that point), promote the Moose to Head Coach. Personally I like stability within a team, it helps in all respects to me. So keep the Lowe/Moose duo going until Lowe himself is done being a GM, and then once again promote Moose. It'd be unfortanate if we let a wonderful asset like Messier go to the NYR because we were afraid of 'hiring from within' again. To me, hiring from within in has everyone involved 'within' put out their best effort towards the 'team'.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I bet Messier's desire to move back to Edmonton is about nil.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
I absolutely adored the guy as an Oiler, and he's always going to be special in my heart, but to be honest, I think his ego matches the size of the city he calls home. I wouldn't be keen on him in the OIl organization, but it's probably a moot point anyway, he's big city.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote