HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mukler tried to trade Gerber and Corvo at the deadline

Old
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
A-Train in Motion

vCash: 500
Mukler tried to trade Gerber and Corvo at the deadline

...according to TFP.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott070304.html

Whats your reaction. I think those would have bee good moves.

A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Egil

I think its obvious that we are going to try to move Gerber in the summer. Corvo isn't nearly as bad a contract as many would have you believe, so I see him staying.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Tony_S*

I really hope he manages to move both of them, thats if he is still our GM then...

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

What did I tell you? It made no sense that Chiarelli offered and Mucks rejected. He can't be that crazy.
Like I said, some players have to go eventually. I think it would've been a great deal!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
SoulPatch

Regardless, I prefer Gerber over Thomas, and Corvo has stepped up since Christmas.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:05 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
Regardless, I prefer Gerber over Thomas, and Corvo has stepped up since Christmas.
How does it make any sense to have a backup goaltender counting nearly $4 million against the salary cap?

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

The Senators have to trade either Gerber or Corvo before next season...otherwise, the fans will be pretty surprised and disappointed as to the other players who leave town.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:07 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
How does it make any sense to have a backup goaltender counting nearly $4 million against the salary cap?
He is not hurting the team and is good insurance if Emery gets hurt or falters. We can move Gerber in the off season, most of his salary has been paid for this year, might as well keep him for the rest of the year.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
It doesn't next season, but the boat has sailed for this year. Keeping Gerber was the best option.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Human Megaphone

If Emery only goes for 2.5 I will be very happy.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Reggie Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
He is not hurting the team and is good insurance if Emery gets hurt or falters. We can move Gerber in the off season, most of his salary has been paid for this year, might as well keep him for the rest of the year.
Thomas would have been just as good an insurance come playoff time. Both are just as inconsistent as one another. Only difference is one has the salary of a backup goalie. However, if dumping Gerber's salary comes at the price of losing Schubert, then I am happy this trade didn't go down.

They should hypnotize Gerber into thinking he's playing Team Canada everytime he starts for us.

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
he has no choice, 2.5 mill is fair at his rfa status with no arbitration rights.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissing on aisle 9 View Post
he has no choice, 2.5 mill is fair at his rfa status with no arbitration rights.
I'd doubt if he gets that much on a one year deal.

He might get 2.5 if he signs for 3 or 4 years. But if you look at lots of starting goalies not named Luongo or Brodeur, they make 2-3 million and the guys the have UFA contracts like Turco, Fernandez etc make like 5 million.

If you look at Kiprusoff's contract he got 10 million over 3 years, but he also had more years of experience, and had a ridiculously good season and Vezina nomination to go with it. Plus he's also older and closer to UFA status.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Masterplan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
Hopefully a many year deal at 2.5 mil....

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Lonnie Loach

Quote:

Absolutely. Every effort will be made to move Gerber in the offseason, but for the rest of this year I would rather have Gerber than Tim Thomas.

Trade Gerber for a draft pick at the entry draft; sign Cujo to split time with Razor next year.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
He is not hurting the team ...
Might want to talk to Chris Phillips about that one.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by saderules View Post
What did I tell you? It made no sense that Chiarelli offered and Mucks rejected. He can't be that crazy.
Like I said, some players have to go eventually. I think it would've been a great deal!
What or who is The Fourth Period? Another rumour site?

I realize this isn't your thread, but it would be nice to know if this site is even half as unreliable as HockeyBuzz.

Regardless, sometimes player trades have nothing to do with being an even player for player/dollar for dollar move. For example, Mara was traded later the same day, and this is his 3rd organization in less than a year. Maybe there's something to that - but maybe not.

All I'm saying is that trades aren't always just a straight hockey decision.

HF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Herdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Might want to talk to Chris Phillips about that one.
Melnyk should write a letter to the league about protecting our star players from vicious slashes from teammates! 5 game suspension for that dirty cheapshot Gerber! You know Ottawa is a dirty team when they start to cheapshot their own guys.

Herdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Buckleys

That's a shocker

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdin View Post
Melnyk should write a letter to the league about protecting our star players from vicious slashes from teammates! 5 game suspension for that dirty cheapshot Gerber! You know Ottawa is a dirty team when they start to cheapshot their own guys.
I think the league should ban him from the league or let us rip up his contract in the summer. That was a dirty slash after all.

Old
03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
sensens

Personally, I doubt Gerber could be moved easily at the draft - I think his contract makes it more likely to be a trade closer to traning camp when all of the UFA deals have been made and someone is left without a chair. The same could be true of Corvo, though someone might be willing to take a chance on him, not wanting to wait to see what the UFA market is for puck-moving defencemen. Either way, I think Muckler should adopt a sign-first policy with all of Phillips, Emery, Volchenkov, Preissing, and Schubert. While it's kind of a bad business tactic, if push comes to shove they can always send one of Gerber or Corvo to the AHL if it really gets to be a crunch with some of the more critical elements of the team. The choice between the reputation hit for doing such a thing, and trying to replace one of your two most effective defencemen, your starting goaltender, your primary return on a major trade, and a very cost-effective rising young player is no choice at all.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
Personally, I doubt Gerber could be moved easily at the draft - I think his contract makes it more likely to be a trade closer to traning camp when all of the UFA deals have been made and someone is left without a chair. The same could be true of Corvo, though someone might be willing to take a chance on him, not wanting to wait to see what the UFA market is for puck-moving defencemen. Either way, I think Muckler should adopt a sign-first policy with all of Phillips, Emery, Volchenkov, Preissing, and Schubert. While it's kind of a bad business tactic, if push comes to shove they can always send one of Gerber or Corvo to the AHL if it really gets to be a crunch with some of the more critical elements of the team. The choice between the reputation hit for doing such a thing, and trying to replace one of your two most effective defencemen, your starting goaltender, your primary return on a major trade, and a very cost-effective rising young player is no choice at all.
I agree that he shouldn't wait to sign people while he figures things out. Lamoriello showed that no matter what your cap problems, if you're creative you can find a way out of it. I think the team has also been screwed by taking the wait and see approach with guys like Spezza, Redden, Chara.

Chara and Redden likely would have signed contracts in the 5 million range at the end of the lockout before the value of d-men had skyrocketed and if they had been signed to long term deals even before the lockout even in the 6 or 7 million dollar range, with the rollback that would have equated to far less than they get now.

But anyways and with Spezza Muckler had the chance to sign him long term in '05 but chose to give him a one year deal and 'show his worth' which then turned out to really high. Same thing with Hossa, he wasn't signed to a long term deal before the lockout and then his value is set at 6 million.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Lexicon Devil

Spezza probably wanted a one-year deal in '05. I don't see why he would have signed long-term.

The team was trying to lock up all of Redden, Chara and Hossa right after the lockout, throughout the entire year for the two defencemen. They didn't go for it - and wouldn't have signed "in the 5 million range".

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 03-04-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
OttawaGM

Forget trading Corvo he's actually good bang for the buck. If any D should be moving it should be Redden.

Old
03-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I wouldn't be suprise if Gerber gets treaded. If you look at the numbers, he isn't having that bad of a season anymore. Teams like Florida, L-A, Phoenix and Colombus didn't have good goaltending this year and may want to take a chance on him. If nobody is interested in the summer, maybe we'll have to keep him until a team has an injury or even as late as trade deadline.

On the other hand, Corvo has been playing a lot better lately. He was the team's worst +/- player in early january. He's back at 0 with today's game. His value has gone up a bit since then. But I like Preissing's game better, we should try to keep him along with Phillips and Volchenkov.

All that beeing said. Why did Muckler sign two guys to long wealthy contract when they didn't have any history with Ottawa? But we can't sign a franchise player like Spezza to more than a 2 year contract...

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote