HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some decisions that will come back to haunt this team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
  #26
Duguay2
Registered User
 
Duguay2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
So from that fourthperiod (read: joke) article you have extrapolated that he is unhappy with ownership?
To chime in a little; I have heard that the Boyes family were unimpressed, and even mocking of Bruin management. Based on the source, I know this as true heresay. Now, if that filtered down to his best pal? Well, one would have to assume, but it's not a huge stretch.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
  #27
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
Everyone is so down on how Lewis used Primeau and yet in the Calgary games I've seen since the trade Primeau has had essentially the same role. Interesting.
That sort of bothers me about Primeau. When he first came, I liked the guy but, played out of his mind effort wise. But little by little, and especially this year, it just tailed off. New team... plays much better.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:08 PM
  #28
Duguay2
Registered User
 
Duguay2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonFan View Post
Do's you's speek english longer?
Hey, Latrappe is a Bruins fan dude! French or not, this guy is trying -- besides he's on your team. You'd get smacked in the dressing room for that one.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
  #29
ron jeremy jacobs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Looking at this season, I think there were some decisions that will come back to haunt this team.
We all know the Thorton deal and Sammy deal will go down in history has bad deals that MOC made, but what about this years issues:

1. Lewis not keeping the BBS line together from the beginning. He was hell bent on trying to make Axe a first line player that he missed the boat on this one. The end result is that Boyes loses his confidence and gets traded for next to nothing. This trade for Wideman might come back in a few years and haunt the Bruins.
The end result is that Sturm plays like crap for most of the year exception 10 games before signing and Chia over pays for him. 3.5 million for Sturm for 4 years is too much. On top of it all Bergeron has not been the force he was last year. He has seemed a bit lost this year and now loses his best buddy Brad Boyes. You can see why he is a little pissed and mad at the ownership.

2. Back to Axelson: He does not belong on the top two lines and after a year of trying I think it's obvious he doesn't belong there. Another reason why we are in our present situation. Putting players in spots they don't belong.

3. Lewis depending on Primeau all year as his "go to guy" in big games. (Just sad) And now he has replaced Prems with Mowers. (Even sadder)

4. Not addressing the issue of Jason York on defense. Lewis was the problem again. The mishandling of Jurcina. Do I need to say more. Giving up Stuart and Mara for Wideman and Ward. Defense is still an issue. Missing a #2 AND #3 Pairing

5. Not moving Murray at the deadline. His value is probably at an all-time high. I know he can score but the rest of his game sucks. Let's hope he continues to play well.

6. Mishandling the Stuart situation. Chia did not get enough for him. Plain and simple. If Rivet gets a first rounder and Josh Gorges- enough said. Bad trade.

7.Chia has not been overly impressive as a first year G.M. He signs Lewis to a 4 year deal which I will be surprised Lewis will or can fulfill. His best moves include Bochenski for Versteeg and maybe Chistov for a third.

His poor moves include: A. Jurcina for a 4th which he gave away to Calgary ( depends on re-signing of Stuart- I doubt happens)

B. Stuart/Primeau/4th rounder for Ferrance/Kobesew- not great but a wait and see trade.
C. Mara for Ward- can't say it's a great move as Ward is 34 years old and gives us one more year of service. He's probably a 4th defenseman on most teams.

D. Boyes for Wideman- Not even close. Blues win this hands down.

E. Resigning Sturm at 3.5 million is questionable.

Finally, I think Chia has shown he is not scared to make tough decisions, but he needs to learn to make smart decisions. Sell high and buy low. Chistov and Bochenski are cases of buying low. He never sold high on any of our players. Stuart, Primeau, Jurcina, Boyes, Mara- did not bring back much in return. You might argue that they are not that good, but on the flip side part of being a good G.M. is getting maximum return for players you trade. Chia failed to do this.
Good post... Lets have a look at Kobasew, Ference is better than I thought. I really feel like they needed to get a draft pick in that deal though.

Lewis screwed the pooch breaking up the lone good line, but chemistry doesn't always carry over year to year... remember the "Legion of Doom" line? Still, that rates as a blunder.

The Jurcina deal was truly awful. Managing to turn Nick Boynton into Aaron Ward was/is awful.

The jury is out on Versteeg/Bochenski and Boyes/Wideman.

Murray had an ill-timed injury (and still looks to be dragging). He should have been traded, but I can understand why he wasn't, if teams thought his injury looked to be of the nagging sort

Just my assessments.

ron jeremy jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
  #30
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
To chime in a little; I have heard that the Boyes family were unimpressed, and even mocking of Bruin management. Based on the source, I know this as true heresay. Now, if that filtered down to his best pal? Well, one would have to assume, but it's not a huge stretch.
Com'on what do you expect his family to say, "The Bruins did the right thing, our son just wasn't producing, good lesson for him!".

Of course they're going to put it on the Bruins. Was it management's fault Bergeron would beat two guys, give it to Brad with an open net so he could freeze? They gave this kid more chances than any player I can think of in recent years... well aside Mowers.

Bergeron's getting to a point, and I hate to admit it, he has to start worrying about his own play or overcoming his injuries. Don't want your pals traded... well then win.

I got pummeled in this forum last year for questioning the Thornton trade. I'll be damned if I'm going to sweat the loss of Brad Boyes.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:20 PM
  #31
chippa13*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron jeremy jacobs View Post
Good post... Lets have a look at Kobasew, Ference is better than I thought. I really feel like they needed to get a draft pick in that deal though.

Lewis screwed the pooch breaking up the lone good line, but chemistry doesn't always carry over year to year... remember the "Legion of Doom" line? Still, that rates as a blunder.

The Jurcina deal was truly awful. Managing to turn Nick Boynton into Aaron Ward was/is awful.

The jury is out on Versteeg/Bochenski and Boyes/Wideman.

Murray had an ill-timed injury (and still looks to be dragging). He should have been traded, but I can understand why he wasn't, if teams thought his injury looked to be of the nagging sort

Just my assessments.
Not sure how the jury is out on Versteeg for Bochenski. Bochenski has had an immediate impact on the scoresheet for the B's and Versteeg hasn't had a sniff of time in Chicago.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
  #32
Duguay2
Registered User
 
Duguay2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Com'on what do you expect his family to say, "The Bruins did the right thing, our son just wasn't producing, good lesson for him!".

Of course they're going to put it on the Bruins. Was it management's fault Bergeron would beat two guys, give it to Brad with an open net so he could freeze? They gave this kid more chances than any player I can think of in recent years... well aside Mowers.

Bergeron's getting to a point, and I hate to admit it, he has to start worrying about his own play or overcoming his injuries. Don't want your pals traded... well then win.

I got pummeled in this forum last year for questioning the Thornton trade. I'll be damned if I'm going to sweat the loss of Brad Boyes.
Sorry Tony, I should have specified, those comments were 'pre-trade.'

Otherwise; you did not get pummeled for questioning the Thornton trade.
God man, you held your own, and argued strong well thought points of debate. And besides who can justify that trade? Really. An unjust trade, whether it's Thornton or Boyes, is still worth mention or debate on a forum such as this. Period. One debate should never spill into the other. A bad trade, is a bad trade, is a bad trade.
We cannot afford to flip off our assets like drunkin sailors on a shore leave.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:53 PM
  #33
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Looking at this season, I think there were some decisions that will come back to haunt this team.
We all know the Thorton deal and Sammy deal will go down in history has bad deals that MOC made, but what about this years issues:

1. Lewis not keeping the BBS line together from the beginning. He was hell bent on trying to make Axe a first line player that he missed the boat on this one. The end result is that Boyes loses his confidence and gets traded for next to nothing. This trade for Wideman might come back in a few years and haunt the Bruins.
The end result is that Sturm plays like crap for most of the year exception 10 games before signing and Chia over pays for him. 3.5 million for Sturm for 4 years is too much. On top of it all Bergeron has not been the force he was last year. He has seemed a bit lost this year and now loses his best buddy Brad Boyes. You can see why he is a little pissed and mad at the ownership.

2. Back to Axelson: He does not belong on the top two lines and after a year of trying I think it's obvious he doesn't belong there. Another reason why we are in our present situation. Putting players in spots they don't belong.

3. Lewis depending on Primeau all year as his "go to guy" in big games. (Just sad) And now he has replaced Prems with Mowers. (Even sadder)

4. Not addressing the issue of Jason York on defense. Lewis was the problem again. The mishandling of Jurcina. Do I need to say more. Giving up Stuart and Mara for Wideman and Ward. Defense is still an issue. Missing a #2 AND #3 Pairing

5. Not moving Murray at the deadline. His value is probably at an all-time high. I know he can score but the rest of his game sucks. Let's hope he continues to play well.

6. Mishandling the Stuart situation. Chia did not get enough for him. Plain and simple. If Rivet gets a first rounder and Josh Gorges- enough said. Bad trade.

7.Chia has not been overly impressive as a first year G.M. He signs Lewis to a 4 year deal which I will be surprised Lewis will or can fulfill. His best moves include Bochenski for Versteeg and maybe Chistov for a third.

His poor moves include: A. Jurcina for a 4th which he gave away to Calgary ( depends on re-signing of Stuart- I doubt happens)

B. Stuart/Primeau/4th rounder for Ferrance/Kobesew- not great but a wait and see trade.
C. Mara for Ward- can't say it's a great move as Ward is 34 years old and gives us one more year of service. He's probably a 4th defenseman on most teams.

D. Boyes for Wideman- Not even close. Blues win this hands down.

E. Resigning Sturm at 3.5 million is questionable.

Finally, I think Chia has shown he is not scared to make tough decisions, but he needs to learn to make smart decisions. Sell high and buy low. Chistov and Bochenski are cases of buying low. He never sold high on any of our players. Stuart, Primeau, Jurcina, Boyes, Mara- did not bring back much in return. You might argue that they are not that good, but on the flip side part of being a good G.M. is getting maximum return for players you trade. Chia failed to do this.

why would we care if Ward was 34 and signed for only 1 more year... so was Mara.
age is irrelevent if the contract runs out before the guy does. 34/35/36 isnt old for a vet dman who is supposed to be stabalizing your team. guys who have gone to the finals 3 times as key dman on the team have good value if you want to win.

I wanted to love Mara here... I liked Boynton... i was happy to see Mara come, but reality is Mara has never won anything and looks shaky when partnered with a kid. he had no special chemistry with Chara and for better-or-worst we werent using him to captain our PP. he was a 3 million dollar contract contributing around a million value to the team coming up on UFA in a year's time. Signing him to a new contract in the real marketplace would have required a raise for him too.

Back to Ward... at age 35/36/37, teams are going to be very wary of giving this guy huge money on his next deal. Its about bang for the buck. Ferrence and Ward were picked up and will cost about 4 million for the two of them to be very solid 3/4/5 depth guys for us for the next couple three years if we wanted to resign Ward.

BStuart by himself would be a 4-5 million dollar guy.

You just cant find quality UFA like Ferrence and Ward who will come in and play for such affordable cap hit. Guys signed to good longterm contracts are as rare as can be in this new NHL. You have to really deal for them to get them into town or get damn lucky with development or reclamation projects.

I see where Chia is going with his plan. The teams that succeed dont have sexy names on them. We all thought Buffalo sucked a couple years ago. They did. Now that they win, guys we thought sucked are suddenly winners.

Sometimes winning makes winners though.

Carolina made the finals... then missed the playoffs... then won a cup...
guess which years we thought their players were good and which years we thought their players sucked?

Right now, we are thinking there is a lot of problems with the team... but give it goaltending that will cover up a few mistakes instead of exposing them and the guys get a tiny bit more confidence. once the guys get a bit more confidence, they try to make things happen rather than play tight to try to prevent accidents from happening.

once guys are trying to make things happen, positive results build on themselves and everyone gets elevated to a new level.

It is about filling the picture with the right pieces of the puzzle though.

Boyes... might easily be nearly a ppg player the rest of his career. He might play 15 years and have 1000 points. He is decent. We didnt see anything that made him special though. He is just a good second line center who will be making 4/5 million dollars after his next 70 point season. We have a couple 'special' centers in Kessel and Bergeron and Savard who will all need that 4/5 million to make themselves happy. We cant have too many small/offensively gifted centers all making 4/5 million on this team or we are going to have a chemistry problem.

As it is... one of these three keepers will likely have to be played out of position as a soft winger anyhow. If Boyes were kept he would be used out of position too as a soft winger. We have other guys like Bochenski and Kobasew and Chistov who are on the smaller side and need to play wing and are younger or cheaper or more versitile than Boyes.

Boyes was incredibly expendable for us...

which only leads to question, if we got the best return for him. He wasnt horribly expensive, so we could have sat on him. I am guessing the team scouted Wideman enough to like him for the overall plans. Again, cost is going to be a big factor. Wideman will be making under a million per year likely on his next deal to be a huge upgrade in the 6/7 spot over the choices we had for that role the last few years.

Id like to see Lashoff/MStuart on the team next year, but maybe management felt one or both werent going to be ready? If they arent... then a guy like Wideman will be alot more valuable at the affordable price than Boyes would have been with his ticket playing out of position and getting in the way of icetime for guys better suited to fill the roster out.

I think Boyes was offered around the league... im sure Chia looked at the proposals and took one he felt would benefit the overall plan for the team. In the end, results are the only thing that will speak. If we win, its good... if not, then criticism is warranted.

I do see where its headed... lets hope it goes enough of the distance posts like this wont be necessary in the future and we can all be celebrating a long overdue cup win

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:59 PM
  #34
Czerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Bruwinz37;8361750]Short memories. Axe was very good on that line before his injury and balanced out the need for D on that line. It wouldnt matter much if the second line gave us some offense.QUOTE]

Axe was never good on that line. NEVER! I think you were still on Bruins pills then!

So you want the second line to score instead of the first? Wouldn't that make them the first line?



Last edited by Czerk: 03-04-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
  #35
canuckulous
 
canuckulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Can you get any softer players than Sturm, Savard and Murray for the money ?

canuckulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
  #36
Czerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrWhat View Post
Can you get any softer players than Sturm, Savard and Murray for the money ?
Savard soft? He is a lot tougher than most players putting up over a PPG

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
  #37
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Sorry Tony, I should have specified, those comments were 'pre-trade.'

Otherwise; you did not get pummeled for questioning the Thornton trade.
God man, you held your own, and argued strong well thought points of debate. And besides who can justify that trade? Really. An unjust trade, whether it's Thornton or Boyes, is still worth mention or debate on a forum such as this. Period. One debate should never spill into the other. A bad trade, is a bad trade, is a bad trade.
We cannot afford to flip off our assets like drunkin sailors on a shore leave.
Can you elaborate on what the beef was pre-trade? Very curious.

Thanks for the kind words, same to you. Like I said, they didn't give up on Boyes all year, quite the opposite. He was given every chance to show some signs of life . We're all stocked up on centers, and he put himself on the bottom of the totem pole. He had proven last year he had talent, and could overcome his shortcomings, but this year he did (or didn't do) everything he could to decrease his own value. In an organization like anahiem, I'd bet he'd of played in the minors after 20 games this year.

My point in bringing up Thornton is, he wasn't shopped at all, this was a 100 pt. center. I think Boyes was shopped, and many here overrate his worth. From the outside looking in, he had an outstanding rookie year playing on a top line, then a complete reversal. Right there, as a GM you have a 50/50 shot. Clear gamble, from the B's perspective as well. Had they hung onto him they may have gotten even less than Wideman. Some things about Boyes will never change, he will never be fast and must be used as a center for him to succeed at all. Won't suprise me if we hear his name, but probably no more than Joe Stumpel.

Had they dealt Boyes in the summer of 06, I bet you get back at least a #1 pick and a body. People here would have gone freakin ape****!

Jurcina? No explanation. When a coach opts for Jason York as opposed to a 24 year old, 6'4" defenseman, something is terribly wrong. Either the coach is retarded or, Jurcina sucked. Not sure what the answer is in regard to Milan. But again, Chia isn't in a position to not shop a prospect and just blow him out the door MOC style. What was scouting's take on Milan? If he isn't played how do they evaluate him? Like I said, no explanation on that one.

Versteeg? Again you have to evaluate that trade in the correct context. Versteeg was also a natural center? The single stongsuit on the B's right now. Aside Murray's ghost, Bochenski is the only true wing capable of breaking down the wing taking a quality shot, and scoring.

Axelson? What do you get in return for a defensive forward, that's going to offset his value to the Bruins should they turn this around?

Muzz? After the deadline, Bruin for life. Could have returned some assets, but not Chia's fault the guy stepped on a puck right as the price was going up.

Chia's real problem is, he can't afford to deal what other teams would really pay through the nose to get. Savard, Chara, Bergeron, Kessel. What is there after that, that's going to return something substancial?

People wanna whine about asset mismanagement? Forsberg and Tkachuk returned more as rentals than MOC got for JT who had just signed a contract. It all goes right back there for me, and I can hardly blame Chia for it. Watching the moves at the trade deadline I felt like a homeless person reading the Wallstreet Journal. Chia has had one season to correct a decade of stupidity. I gotta give him more time.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
  #38
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
To chime in a little; I have heard that the Boyes family were unimpressed, and even mocking of Bruin management. Based on the source, I know this as true heresay. Now, if that filtered down to his best pal? Well, one would have to assume, but it's not a huge stretch.
Well I am not sure why they would. Not for nothing but Brad Boyes received a 100% raise from last year and basically crapped the bed for 9/10's of the season. His family can mock all they want, but it would be in poor taste and sounds more like sour grapes than anything else. I highly doubt Patrice Bergeron with his new 4.75m per year deal has anything but respect for the way this team has taken care of him upon his arrival in Boston.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:04 PM
  #39
Duguay2
Registered User
 
Duguay2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Can you elaborate on what the beef was pre-trade? Very curious.

Like I said, they didn't give up on Boyes all year, quite the opposite. He was given every chance to show some signs of life . We're all stocked up on centers, and he put himself on the bottom of the totem pole. He had proven last year he had talent, and could overcome his shortcomings, but this year he did (or didn't do) everything he could to decrease his own value. In an organization like anahiem, I'd bet he'd of played in the minors after 20 games this year.

My point in bringing up Thornton is, he wasn't shopped at all, this was a 100 pt. center. I think Boyes was shopped, and many here overrate his worth. From the outside looking in, he had an outstanding rookie year playing on a top line, then a complete reversal. Right there, as a GM you have a 50/50 shot. Clear gamble, from the B's perspective as well. Had they hung onto him they may have gotten even less than Wideman. Some things about Boyes will never change, he will never be fast and must be used as a center for him to succeed at all. Won't suprise me if we hear his name, but probably no more than Joe Stumpel. Chia has had one season to correct a decade of stupidity. I gotta give him more time.

Put it this way, I believe the Boyes family had their reservations about Boston. For whatever reason -- could be simply the stigma, or could be the way the new contract was handled, I'm not sure. I heard it through the grapevine, so take it for what it's worth.

As for trading Boyes in his second year; it's not that I'm against trading anyone, it's just I don't see the long-range value in flipping a 2nd year player who fits inside of a salary cap system very nicely as it is. He's not just any player. He's a first round draft pick, who came 3rd in rookie scoring behind only Crosby and Ovechkin.

Besides those two superstars, Boyes scored the most points of any other rookie since Scott Gomez 12 seasons ago. And he did it on a crappy team. Gomez was on a great team. No, this is not just any player we're talking about here.

Quitting on young men is easy. Pulling the good ones through is not, but it should be much easier on a team that is rebuilding. What are we costing Tenkrat, Mowers, Donovan and the Hoggan/Primeau-types playing time?

I remind you of a young player that the Rangers gave up on after two seasons. They were convinced that he didn't have the stuff. The fans were bummed, cos they liked this guy. The players name was Marc Savard.

Speaking of sophomore slumps, you didn't see the Rangers trying to trade Henrik Lundqvist. The Devils didn't flip Gomez after his 2nd or 3rd season slump.

I have a feeling that by the time Brad Boyes scores his next 100 points in a Blues uni, Wideman won't even be a Bruin. Just a gut feeling.

Yes, on the last point. To not give Chia more time and space would not be fair; and yes he's got to try and unravel the mess that was left behind. Doesn't hush the running commentary as the days (and hopefully years) go by though.


Last edited by Duguay2: 03-04-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
  #40
Harbinger04
Registered User
 
Harbinger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: boston
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
guess what, we could have traded murray but he was on IR so we would not have gotten a great return

also ide rather keep him now if we werent going to get a good return and trade him in the offseason for a much better return

Harbinger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
  #41
NewBostonFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen View Post
I can virtually guarantee his English is better than your French. There aren't enough red pens in the world to correct the grammar/spelling on these boards so don't get too caught up in it.

My bad. Didn't realize he was in France. Sorry about that.

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
  #42
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonFan View Post
My bad. Didn't realize he was in France. Sorry about that.
Or Quebec...

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
  #43
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Hey, Latrappe is a Bruins fan dude! French or not, this guy is trying -- besides he's on your team. You'd get smacked in the dressing room for that one.
hard to tell with the amount of times he bashes our goalie.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
  #44
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Looking at this season, I think there were some decisions that will come back to haunt this team.
We all know the Thorton deal and Sammy deal will go down in history has bad deals that MOC made, but what about this years issues:Can't agree with this statement as it relates to Sammy. What has he done since he left the B's?

At least we got what looks like an outstanding prospect in return.

1. Lewis not keeping the BBS line together from the beginning. He was hell bent on trying to make Axe a first line player that he missed the boat on this one. The end result is that Boyes loses his confidence and gets traded for next to nothing. This trade for Wideman might come back in a few years and haunt the Bruins.
The end result is that Sturm plays like crap for most of the year exception 10 games before signing and Chia over pays for him. 3.5 million for Sturm for 4 years is too much. On top of it all Bergeron has not been the force he was last year. He has seemed a bit lost this year and now loses his best buddy Brad Boyes. You can see why he is a little pissed and mad at the ownership.

2. Back to Axelson: He does not belong on the top two lines and after a year of trying I think it's obvious he doesn't belong there. Another reason why we are in our present situation. Putting players in spots they don't belong.

3. Lewis depending on Primeau all year as his "go to guy" in big games. (Just sad) And now he has replaced Prems with Mowers. (Even sadder)

4. Not addressing the issue of Jason York on defense. Lewis was the problem again. The mishandling of Jurcina. Do I need to say more. Giving up Stuart and Mara for Wideman and Ward. Defense is still an issue. Missing a #2 AND #3 Pairing

5. Not moving Murray at the deadline. His value is probably at an all-time high. I know he can score but the rest of his game sucks. Let's hope he continues to play well.

6. Mishandling the Stuart situation. Chia did not get enough for him. Plain and simple. If Rivet gets a first rounder and Josh Gorges- enough said. Bad trade.

7.Chia has not been overly impressive as a first year G.M. He signs Lewis to a 4 year deal which I will be surprised Lewis will or can fulfill. His best moves include Bochenski for Versteeg and maybe Chistov for a third.

His poor moves include: A. Jurcina for a 4th which he gave away to Calgary ( depends on re-signing of Stuart- I doubt happens)

B. Stuart/Primeau/4th rounder for Ferrance/Kobesew- not great but a wait and see trade.
C. Mara for Ward- can't say it's a great move as Ward is 34 years old and gives us one more year of service. He's probably a 4th defenseman on most teams.

D. Boyes for Wideman- Not even close. Blues win this hands down.

E. Resigning Sturm at 3.5 million is questionable.

Finally, I think Chia has shown he is not scared to make tough decisions, but he needs to learn to make smart decisions. Sell high and buy low. Chistov and Bochenski are cases of buying low. He never sold high on any of our players. Stuart, Primeau, Jurcina, Boyes, Mara- did not bring back much in return. You might argue that they are not that good, but on the flip side part of being a good G.M. is getting maximum return for players you trade. Chia failed to do this.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
  #45
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Looking at this season, I think there were some decisions that will come back to haunt this team.
We all know the Thorton deal and Sammy deal will go down in history has bad deals that MOC made, but what about this years issues:

1. Lewis not keeping the BBS line together from the beginning. He was hell bent on trying to make Axe a first line player that he missed the boat on this one. The end result is that Boyes loses his confidence and gets traded for next to nothing. This trade for Wideman might come back in a few years and haunt the Bruins.
The end result is that Sturm plays like crap for most of the year exception 10 games before signing and Chia over pays for him. 3.5 million for Sturm for 4 years is too much. On top of it all Bergeron has not been the force he was last year. He has seemed a bit lost this year and now loses his best buddy Brad Boyes. You can see why he is a little pissed and mad at the ownership.

2. Back to Axelson: He does not belong on the top two lines and after a year of trying I think it's obvious he doesn't belong there. Another reason why we are in our present situation. Putting players in spots they don't belong.

3. Lewis depending on Primeau all year as his "go to guy" in big games. (Just sad) And now he has replaced Prems with Mowers. (Even sadder)

4. Not addressing the issue of Jason York on defense. Lewis was the problem again. The mishandling of Jurcina. Do I need to say more. Giving up Stuart and Mara for Wideman and Ward. Defense is still an issue. Missing a #2 AND #3 Pairing

5. Not moving Murray at the deadline. His value is probably at an all-time high. I know he can score but the rest of his game sucks. Let's hope he continues to play well.

6. Mishandling the Stuart situation. Chia did not get enough for him. Plain and simple. If Rivet gets a first rounder and Josh Gorges- enough said. Bad trade.

7.Chia has not been overly impressive as a first year G.M. He signs Lewis to a 4 year deal which I will be surprised Lewis will or can fulfill. His best moves include Bochenski for Versteeg and maybe Chistov for a third.

His poor moves include: A. Jurcina for a 4th which he gave away to Calgary ( depends on re-signing of Stuart- I doubt happens)

B. Stuart/Primeau/4th rounder for Ferrance/Kobesew- not great but a wait and see trade.
C. Mara for Ward- can't say it's a great move as Ward is 34 years old and gives us one more year of service. He's probably a 4th defenseman on most teams.

D. Boyes for Wideman- Not even close. Blues win this hands down.

E. Resigning Sturm at 3.5 million is questionable.

Finally, I think Chia has shown he is not scared to make tough decisions, but he needs to learn to make smart decisions. Sell high and buy low. Chistov and Bochenski are cases of buying low. He never sold high on any of our players. Stuart, Primeau, Jurcina, Boyes, Mara- did not bring back much in return. You might argue that they are not that good, but on the flip side part of being a good G.M. is getting maximum return for players you trade. Chia failed to do this.
Thank you for that fine summation Mike O'connell. Outside of 2 and 3, couldn't disagree more. Especially the Boyes trade. Now, Boston may very well regret the trade but way to soon to tell, but how can you say "for nothing" when I"ll lay odds you never saw Wideman play 1 minute before this trade.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
  #46
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 18,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Besides those two superstars, Boyes scored the most points of any other rookie since Scott Gomez 12 seasons ago. And he did it on a crappy team. Gomez was on a great team. No, this is not just any player we're talking about here.
Agree crappy team, but he played on a line with Thornton, then w/ Bergeron and Sturm who were also on fire last year. He got a ton of PP time, not many rookies get the opportunities he had here. He was set up for success, and that includes this year.

It's hard to beleive how bad he was at times. Maybe I'm biased because I had such high hopes for him, but watching him this year, I just wanted to strangle him and go to Home Depot for lime and a shovel.

I get the comparisons to Savard in NY and Gomez in NJ. Again, major difference w/ both guys, speed. But, I could see Boyes become successful with two laser beams on his wings. Time will tell, but there's no doubt Chia had to do something with the D, as well as ability to move the puck out of the zone tactfully.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
  #47
NewBostonFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Or Quebec...
Well, I meant it if he's from Quebec

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.