HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we all agree on this....

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Laches

vCash: 500
Can we all agree on this....

...if the Rangers fail to make the playoffs for the seventh straight year this year, then it's time to blow this thing to smithereens and start from scratch. That means, first and foremost, that Sather is shown the door, and holding a fire sale.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:49 AM
JR#9*

I think most of us agree that we want Slats gone NOW, but it doesn't matter b/c Lil Jimmy loves him and is clueless about sports so Slats will be here for the duration of his contract. :mad:

As far as fire sale I don't think you'd even need to conduct one as a ton of guys are up after the year and the ones who aren't like Kaspar and deVries probrably won't be able to be moved due to contracts.

That being said I still think this team makes the playoffs despite them still struggling for consistency.They've had a ton of ups and downs but their still at .500 and I think this team will have their nice streak like the Leafs just put togther where you rip off 5-6 games in a row.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:55 AM
NYR469

well first off it SHOULD have been blown to smithereens and rebuilt 6 years ago and each of the last 6 years at any point...so it isn't like we just hit this point now

but if sather is fired (which i'll believe when i see it) then this would definitely be the perfect time to do this...and this is something that should have been done in 2000 when sather took over. by doing this to start a new gms reign you can buy the guy some leeway by blaming problems on the previous regime...

of course we all know that there is ZERO chance of this happening and dolan wouldn't bring in a gm to rebuild and the new gm will be someone looking to get big name players just like smith & sather

Old
12-12-2003, 09:58 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
As far as fire sale I don't think you'd even need to conduct one as a ton of guys are up after the year and the ones who aren't like Kaspar and deVries probrably won't be able to be moved due to contracts.
but why just let those contracts expire if you can get something for them...playoff bound teams might be highly interested in adding a quality player at the deadline for the playoffs especially one that won't hurt them under the new cba...

so rather than letting guys walk, if we could turn them into picks and/or prospects that puts us ahead of the game

Old
12-12-2003, 10:11 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
playoff bound teams might be highly interested in adding a quality player at the deadline for the playoffs especially one that won't hurt them under the new cba...
Rangers have very few player that will not hurt teams under the new CBA.
And I agree with JR. All of us (except Glenjar) want Jackass gone NOW. However, w/ Lil' Jimmy at the helm, it is very diffucult to forsee a scenario where he cans Sather. For whatever the reason, he LOVES Sather. And since Sather has become very proficient at passing the buck (remember last year was the fans fault for booing too loudly), and Dolan believes everything Sather says, it will ALWAYS be someone else's fault besided Sathers.
Oh, and JR? When was the last time you recall a 5 or 6 game winning streak?

Old
12-12-2003, 10:13 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
but why just let those contracts expire if you can get something for them...playoff bound teams might be highly interested in adding a quality player at the deadline for the playoffs especially one that won't hurt them under the new cba...

so rather than letting guys walk, if we could turn them into picks and/or prospects that puts us ahead of the game
Because even if they didn't make the playoffs it would be by a very slim margin and they will aleast be in the hunt right up until the last few games so you WON'T see Slats shipping off guys like Lindros or Simon or even Vlad come the deadline as there will still be 12-14 games left to play.Not happening.

BTW---how did you like the seats for the game 2 weeks ago???

Old
12-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Davisian

If they miss yet again, I think we need to ask ourselves one thing..

What would Jaret do?

I think Jaret would have himself a foot long BMT on wheat, with a coke and chips, then he would;

send Glen Sather packing..

Hire Don Maloney as the new GM, and Peter Laviolette as his coach, but keep Renney and O'Reilly as assistants..

Let most contracts expire, but keep the good soldiers..

Not completely blown up, but moreso than any other Ranger team in history.. Sign as many young free agents as possible, and deal for youth where he can, and/or acquire picks where he can..

Make next years camp a major competition for jobs, and force all prospects and 'Pack players to bring themselves to camp in great shape, with a legit shot for a full time NHL position..

I'm not sure which contracts are due to expire, so once they're listed, we can pick and choose which one's deserve to comeback..

Old
12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
well first off it SHOULD have been blown to smithereens and rebuilt 6 years ago and each of the last 6 years at any point...so it isn't like we just hit this point now
Now THAT I agree with.

12-12-2003, 11:09 AM
Laches

Quote:

but if sather is fired (which i'll believe when i see it) then this would definitely be the perfect time to do this...and this is something that should have been done in 2000 when sather took over. by doing this to start a new gms reign you can buy the guy some leeway by blaming problems on the previous regime...

of course we all know that there is ZERO chance of this happening and dolan wouldn't bring in a gm to rebuild and the new gm will be someone looking to get big name players just like smith & sather
---Well, it actually has been blown to smithereens a couple of times over the past 6 years, we've seen a couple of major overhauls of the roster. However, it has never been rebuilt properly, but replaced with a roster more expensive and less effective than the one before it.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Fletch

Blow to smithereens?

how? Most of this team is untradeable. I don't want to see a bunch of AHL vets who can't even stay in a game. At season's end, if there's no playoffs, the Rangers likely lose Malakhov, Mironov and Lindros. Perhaps Mess retires. There's your start (although there likely ain't many on the farm to take their places currently).

Old
12-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
If they miss yet again, I think we need to ask ourselves one thing..

What would Jaret do?

I think Jaret would have himself a foot long BMT on wheat, with a coke and chips, then he would;

send Glen Sather packing..

Hire Don Maloney as the new GM, and Peter Laviolette as his coach, but keep Renney and O'Reilly as assistants..

Let most contracts expire, but keep the good soldiers..

Not completely blown up, but moreso than any other Ranger team in history.. Sign as many young free agents as possible, and deal for youth where he can, and/or acquire picks where he can..

Make next years camp a major competition for jobs, and force all prospects and 'Pack players to bring themselves to camp in great shape, with a legit shot for a full time NHL position..

I'm not sure which contracts are due to expire, so once they're listed, we can pick and choose which one's deserve to comeback..
---The problem is, I don't see many good soldiers on this team. Other than Leetch, Ortmeyer, Lundmark and the goalies, I don't see a lot there I'm terribly interested in hanging onto.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
how? Most of this team is untradeable. I don't want to see a bunch of AHL vets who can't even stay in a game. At season's end, if there's no playoffs, the Rangers likely lose Malakhov, Mironov and Lindros. Perhaps Mess retires. There's your start (although there likely ain't many on the farm to take their places currently).
---I understand not wanting to see that, but I'd much, much rather see a Ranger team that finishes 14th in the conference, but is building towards something, than a team full of underachieving millionaires half-assing their way towards that 10th spot every year. This is why we need a quality GM. Not one who goes the tired old route of signing UFAs and trading for Edmonton rejects.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:22 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

how many rangers contracts are up after this season?

Old
12-12-2003, 11:24 AM
BLACKBURN

I agree with you man, lets do a Florida. Can we burn Sather in the process?

Old
12-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Edge

why even bother, they'll go 1/2 way and then the process will start all over again. so long as cablevision is in charge, nothing will ever change.

thats why this team doesnt have a highly successful history, because it's been corporate in one form or the other for too long and they dont see it as a team.

a team with the resources this team has, should be far more successful then it's been throughout history.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Fletch

I agree Laches...

my point is there aren't many players in this organization that are ready to compete at the NHL level. Coming in dead last but with promise is one thing. Coming in dead last and not seeing any progress is another.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:32 AM
sickboy35

i can agree.....

we suck!!!! us for following them! them for....well you know? i agree with true blue on that lil' jimmy will never fire sather! it's how i used to say, for those who were on the rivals board!, sather got pics of jimmy doing the nasty with some male prostitute!! so he won't get fired! i mean what else could it be? "spend as much of my dads money you want, as long as you don't go public!" aahh! it's freakin nightmare 7years long!!!

Old
12-12-2003, 11:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
how many rangers contracts are up after this season?
Everyone except:

Leetch
Holik
Kasparaitis
deVries
Poti
Dunham

Old
12-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
---The problem is, I don't see many good soldiers on this team. Other than Leetch, Ortmeyer, Lundmark and the goalies, I don't see a lot there I'm terribly interested in hanging onto.
I dunno.. I guess I'd consider (along with your list) Simon, Barnaby, Bouchard, Purinton, DeVries, Holik, Kovalev, LaCouture and Scott good soldiers, and there's some good toughness to protect any yutes..

All else can sink or swim IMO...

I think the above, coupled with whatever is brought back in trades, some free agent signings (mostly of the young free agent/college kids variety) would give them a chance to compete, but also make the rebuild truly in action..

Old
12-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Fletch

Having a guy like Kovalev around...

would be great if you were to actually bring in youth. Heck, last season Lundmark benefitted from playing with Messier. Shame he didn't get a chance to build on that this season (and as I said to start the season, I was hoping Lindros would center Kovalev to the right and Lundmark to the left). Oh well.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Everyone except:

Leetch
Holik
Kasparaitis
deVries
Poti
Dunham
How many of the expired kind are RFA's?

Old
12-12-2003, 12:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
How many of the expired kind are RFA's?
I don't know. Of course the whole term RFA might have a different meaning with or without a new CBA.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
...if the Rangers fail to make the playoffs for the seventh straight year this year, then it's time to blow this thing to smithereens and start from scratch. That means, first and foremost, that Sather is shown the door, and holding a fire sale.
I think we would have agreed on that 4 years ago

We should be at least Tampa Bay caliber by now.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
why even bother, they'll go 1/2 way and then the process will start all over again. so long as cablevision is in charge, nothing will ever change.

thats why this team doesnt have a highly successful history, because it's been corporate in one form or the other for too long and they dont see it as a team.
So, the real question is not whether we want to see a clean slate, we all do, but what is the likelihood of it happening?

I have to believe that the Dolan's and Cablevision have their limits, despite what appears to be unquestioned faith in Sather. Even the cold, hard face of a corporation has to be able to look at the situation rationally and objectively.

Player retention will depend a lot on the new front office. I'm sure candidates will throw a lot of different ideas out there as to the best way to "fix" the Rangers. Will Dolan select the guy who plans a total overhaul? Place your bets.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:10 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Rangers have very few player that will not hurt teams under the new CBA.
almost everyone is a free agent at the end of the year, so that is why they won't hurt the team under the new cba...a team could 'rent' a player like kovalev for the playoffs and then either let him go or hope a cap always them to sign him for less...for a team that thinks that are 1 player away they would be interested

Closed Thread