HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

3/4/07.. GDT Colorado Vs. Detroit

Old
03-05-2007, 04:55 AM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31 View Post
I don't want to say alot about the game, but......

Osgood: 4 goals on 27
Budja: 3 goals on 34

Osgood never "steals" a game for his team! The 2nd and 3rd goal were “stoppable”
Hasek makes those saves!

Chris.....
Except when he doesn't. Dom has his fair share of questionable goals allowed.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:22 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
When Hasek has a game like that it's one of those 7-1 atrocities where he gives up 4 terrible goals right in a row, sprinkled in with a bunch of 1 and 2 total GA efforts over the rest of the month. For the past two years Osgood's been giving up 1 or 2 bad goals a game well over half the time, it seems. When he's even healthy.

It's not that big of a deal... I mean, Osgood's an NHL backup at this stage in his career and most backups play as badly as he is right now. It'd sure be nice to be able to have at least a little confidence that he could hold the team in every once in a while.

Perhaps that game might encourage Babcock to change things up and give Howard a look on Tuesday against the Preds.

I highly, highly doubt it, but you never know at this time of year.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Meanwhile Joey MacDonald notches up his first career start and win as a Bruin. The B's take out the Devils, 4-1. Bummer we didn't get anything for the kid.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-05-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: GuloGulo
Old
03-05-2007, 06:39 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
When Hasek has a game like that it's one of those 7-1 atrocities where he gives up 4 terrible goals right in a row, sprinkled in with a bunch of 1 and 2 total GA efforts over the rest of the month. For the past two years Osgood's been giving up 1 or 2 bad goals a game well over half the time, it seems. When he's even healthy.

It's not that big of a deal... I mean, Osgood's an NHL backup at this stage in his career and most backups play as badly as he is right now. It'd sure be nice to be able to have at least a little confidence that he could hold the team in every once in a while.

Perhaps that game might encourage Babcock to change things up and give Howard a look on Tuesday against the Preds.

I highly, highly doubt it, but you never know at this time of year.
Dom's been giving up one or two bad goals a game for a while now himself.

As for Sunday's game... Osgood played better than most of the rest of the team so it's not as if this was a game that he threw away. He kept us in it early, and gave us a shot to win, but there were too many mistakes made (he made one or two himself) and a bit too much sleepwalking.

That OT goal was 3 or 4 defensive errors piled up into one grotesque play...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Meanwhile Joey MacDonald notches up his first career start and win. The B's take out the Devils, 4-1. Bummer we didn't get anything for the kid.
Joey MacD won the Calgary game, so it wasn't his first career start-win. His first as a Bruin though.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Hank19*

I know I'm really late to the party but I wanted to get some thoughts out from the game. Being at the game is so much better than watching on TV. (And I got Bud Lynch's autograph. Sweet).

Anyway, here goes:

- I'm really liking Hudler more and more. I never disliked him before but for a while there I wasn't sure if he was NHL material. But this guy has some very good skills and he works very hard. And I like that he has a shooters mentality. He'll fire the puck when he has an opportunity whereas a lot of the Wings forwards will pass too often.
- Osgood sucks. I cringe at the thought of Hasek going down for the season with an injury. We'll get swept.
- Datsyuk played a very good game but he still shies away from the danger zones too often. Every now and then I'd like to see him try to force his way through.
- Calder should have had at least 2 goals. But I like how he isn't afraid of contact and will go into hard areas of the ice. I chalk up his missed opportunities to the fact that he probably wasn't used to getting so many golden chances while with Philly so he's still adjusting to getting them in Detroit.
- Lang can dominate when he wants to. He's so big and strong a lot of the times dmen have a hard time containing him. And before people slap on the 'lazy' label I don't think that's it. I think things just look so easy to him at times he appears to be lackadaisical. I think the fact that he's a passer far more than a shooter hurts his game. He has an excellent shot. If he would only shoot more, he would be close to unstoppable.
- When did the Wings get 'cheerleaders'? Those dancing people in Wings jerseys? What a joke. If you're going to do this at least get ice girls or get hot chicks to show some skin.
- Man do I hate the guy that plays the music. I've said this 1000 times before but it needs to be mentioned again; I'm sick and tired of hearing "I'm an innocent man", "What's going on?" or "Open up your eyes" whenever the wings get a penalty. Or any of the other tired music we've been forced to listen to in certain situations.

All in all it was a fun game to watch. The Wings definately looked off but it was still a good time.
But it made me think of when was the last time the Wings played a meaningfull game in March. I think the last one was in 1990. We've been a lock to make the playoffs ever since then.
It'll be interesting to see how different the fans react if the playoffs are on the line this late in the season.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Dom's been giving up one or two bad goals a game for a while now himself.
Bah.

Quote:
As for Sunday's game... Osgood played better than most of the rest of the team so it's not as if this was a game that he threw away. He kept us in it early, and gave us a shot to win, but there were too many mistakes made (he made one or two himself) and a bit too much sleepwalking.
Games where the team in front of him is out to lunch are opportunities for a goaltender to win them. Osgood didn't. I don't think it's entirely fair for us to expect he will... it'd just be nice to have him at least look like he's capable of doing so now and then.

As far as the game itself goes people can either choose to be discouraged or encouraged by it. Encouraged, because it's obvious that when the team goes out there with a will to win they can dominate, as the 3rd showed us. Discouraged, because they don't seem to always go out there with a will to win, as the first two periods showed us.

That inconsistent effort and missing 4 of the top 9 forwards makes things touchy right now.

Old
03-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Bah.

Games where the team in front of him is out to lunch are opportunities for a goaltender to win them. Osgood didn't. I don't think it's entirely fair for us to expect he will... it'd just be nice to have him at least look like he's capable of doing so now and then.

As far as the game itself goes people can either choose to be discouraged or encouraged by it. Encouraged, because it's obvious that when the team goes out there with a will to win they can dominate, as the 3rd showed us. Discouraged, because they don't seem to always go out there with a will to win, as the first two periods showed us.

That inconsistent effort and missing 4 of the top 9 forwards makes things touchy right now.

My biggest issue with the Wings in the last few years is that they tend to sit back and are too patient at the beginning of games. It's like when two good boxers get in the ring and they feel each other out for the first 3 rounds.
I'd like to see more urgency with the Wings early on. Maybe we should start the game with our 4th line to get some energy pumped into them. Too many times they seem to sleepwalk through the 1st period and only crank it up when they think they need to. It'd be nice to put some pressure on a team at the drop of the puck and let them know they're in for a dog fight.

Old
03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
HD already said it, but it seems that Osgood allows every game one or two bad goals

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Higgy4

Good god. Please tell me we are not going to have another Hasek vs. Osgood discussion?

Hasek is, and always has been, the MUCH better goaltender of the 2. There is really no argument that can be made in favor of Chris Osgood. I love having Ozzie as a backup, as I think he is probably one of the best in the league in that role. But this team has a 110% better chance of winning a game, especially the BIG game, when Dom is the net.

It really, truly is that simple.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Good god. Please tell me we are not going to have another Hasek vs. Osgood discussion?

Hasek is, and always has been, the MUCH better goaltender of the 2. There is really no argument that can be made in favor of Chris Osgood. I love having Ozzie as a backup, as I think he is probably one of the best in the league in that role. But this team has a 110% better chance of winning a game, especially the BIG game, when Dom is the net.

I don't think anyone is disputing that (or at least they shouldn't) but some people think that Osgood is a better backup than others think.
I'm of the opinion that he's good at what he is; a very cheap backup that should only be used 15-20 times a year. But in those games he usually does give up, at the very minimum, 1 bad goal.
Some here seem to think that's bunk but I think it's a fair assesment. Not all teams are lucky enough to have tandems like the Ducks, Sharks or Preds. But it would be nice to see Osgood steal a game or two for us. Sadly, I don't think he has that in his game anymore.
But I will say this, with Ozzie in net, each shot against is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Almost everyone in our section would breath out a small sigh of relief everytime the Avs fired a long shot or buzzed around our net without the puck going in.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:02 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:

Don't worry we are not going down that road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
I don't think anyone is disputing that (or at least they shouldn't) but some people think that Osgood is a better backup than others think.
I'm of the opinion that he's good at what he is; a very cheap backup that should only be used 15-20 times a year. But in those games he usually does give up, at the very minimum, 1 bad goal.
Some here seem to think that's bunk but I think it's a fair assesment. Not all teams are lucky enough to have tandems like the Ducks, Sharks or Preds. But it would be nice to see Osgood steal a game or two for us. Sadly, I don't think he has that in his game anymore.
But I will say this, with Ozzie in net, each shot against is a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Almost everyone in our section would breath out a small sigh of relief everytime the Avs fired a long shot or buzzed around our net without the puck going in.
Exactly. Let's hope Hasek will be ready soon!

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Alright, fine. Be that way.

Would this team be better going with a Hasek/Osgood tandem or a Hasek/Legace tandem?

Old
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Does anyone else find it humorous that Higgy says let's not have another Hasek v Osgood debate, and then launches the first salvo?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Does anyone else find it humorous that Higgy says let's not have another Hasek v Osgood debate, and then launches the first salvo?
LOL...just a pre-emptive strike. Just using my Jedi instincts.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
14ari13

Osgood, Hasek, Legace, Joseph ... it does not matter to me. I think the Wings play the style which is really hard for goalies. They do not face many shots, but the ones they do are very good scoring chances. Like last game and the 1st shot in the 3rd period and it was in the net. The goal was "weak" but I am not sure Hasek, Joseph, Legace .... would be concentrated enough to stop it.
This was the big problem for Joseph, this is a problem for Hasek, I see some very unHasek-like gaols he allows, this was the problem for Legace vs Roloson/Oilers.
But I noticed this for the 1st time when the Wings played the Avs in the playoffs '99 and '00. Roy was the better goalie, but the Avs allowed fewer quality chances than did the Wings. The shots which Roy had to stop were easier than the ones which Osgood (Wings' goalie) had to stop.
I think that the Wings' puck possession style makes it difficult for the Wings' goalies, the Wings create many chances, but sometimes they allow many more quality chances than they create and the goalies often do not see much action and then they have to stop a good shot/chance.
That's what I think.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
aar000n

all i know is P. Budaj was playing so bad I had to cut him from my fantacy team and then he plays like this so I apologize for cutting him. and he made great saves its not like the past were the winsg would get 100 blue line shots in goal

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
i disagree. i think his skating is what messes him up a little bit. his skating looks unorthadox and choppy way too much, but maybe its just a rookie thing (getting his feet wet) and still growing into his body... either way, the kid will be good as long as he works hard
I've always thought that his skating was strong/very good.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote