HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Bertuzzi Brings Avs/Wings Rivalry Back?...

Old
03-04-2007, 10:56 AM
cmccallum

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi Brings Avs/Wings Rivalry Back?...

Just a thought here... the Wings/Avs rivalry i think has died down in past years. Pretty much safe to say that nashville has become a rival more so than the avs recently. With the Steve Moore incident and Bertuzzi being a Wing... Do you think that rekindles the Wings/Avs rivalry Per Say?..

In My opinion i think it will indeed.... but the Preds definitley have top spot as far as that one team that gives us real grudge match nowadays i'd like to think.

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
arin1

Since Bertuzzi isnt playing, who knows? I'd rather not have Bert play against the Avs anyways. Who knows what will happen.. Mentally and physically..

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Boomhower

I predict a tame one today, just like most Wings games. The Avs don't have many grinder type players either, it will be interesting to see how many games Parker will actually play in from here on out.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Fugu

vCash:
We need to stop resurrecting the references to something that happened THREE years ago. It's not even the worst on ice incident in NHL history. And no, the Wings and Aves HAD a rivalry based on the blood spilled between them. Also past tense.

Old
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Shoalzie

I think the games in Denver would be interesting...the fans still hate the Wings and they hate Bert...it'll be easy for them to boo him every time he touches the puck.

I still contend the old Wings-Avs rivalry died when Roy retired. No Roy, Foote, Forsberg, Lemieux, McCarty, and Shanahan...there aren't those personal rivalries anymore. I honestly don't get the same feeling when these two teams play. These are just two conference rivals...nothing more.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
We need to stop resurrecting the references to something that happened THREE years ago. It's not even the worst on ice incident in NHL history. And no, the Wings and Aves HAD a rivalry based on the blood spilled between them. Also past tense.
While I agree with Shoalzie that the rivalry has pretty much died as players such as Lemieux, Roy, McCarty have moved, the addition of Bert could re-ignite the rivalry.

Fugu, 3/26/97 fed our rivalry with the Avs for several years afterward and is what everyone remembered when the teams played (in addition to relative standings). Just because you feel people bring up the Bertuzzi-Moore incident too much, doesn't mean that Avs fans have forgotten it.

Plus, how many people thought the addition of Forsberg would contribute to our rivalry with the Preds?

Bad blood between teams can be transferred with the acquisition of certain players.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
cmccallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin1 View Post
Since Bertuzzi isnt playing, who knows? I'd rather not have Bert play against the Avs anyways. Who knows what will happen.. Mentally and physically..
yeah i know bertuzzi was hurt just sayign if he re signs for the next year if you thought it would step up with his history there.

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
While I agree with Shoalzie that the rivalry has pretty much died as players such as Lemieux, Roy, McCarty have moved, the addition of Bert could re-ignite the rivalry.

Fugu, 3/26/97 fed our rivalry with the Avs for several years afterward and is what everyone remembered when the teams played (in addition to relative standings). Just because you feel people bring up the Bertuzzi-Moore incident too much, doesn't mean that Avs fans have forgotten it.

Plus, how many people thought the addition of Forsberg would contribute to our rivalry with the Preds?

Bad blood between teams can be transferred with the acquisition of certain players.
I never expected that Forsberg's addition to the Preds would flame the Preds - Wings rivalry. This started a bit a couple of playoffs ago when Vokoun was mouthing off in the media. Some of Hartnell's and Tootoo's antics helped that along. Forsberg was considered one of the best players in the league who was respected for the way he could hurt you-- by scoring. What helps the intensity is having very good players up against each other. Rivalries, I think, build on the repeated challenges these teams give each other, along with the blood that gets spilled. The Wings-Aves rivalry was epic because the feeling always was that one of the two teams was going to win the Cup and what stood in their ways was the other team.

I guess with Bert, I do get tired of having the guy's entire career boiled down to one incident. Nothing that happened before seems relevant, and three years later it seems to be all some people talk about (in general, not anyone here). It's going to take care of itself. Some courts have already issued rulings, the NHL did their part, and eventually there's going to be an award or a settlement. I personally want to get back to the hockey and leave that other stuff in the hands of the courts and law where it belongs. [Sorry if this sounds like a rant, MM, it's not aimed at you.]

Old
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
I never expected that Forsberg's addition to the Preds would flame the Preds - Wings rivalry. This started a bit a couple of playoffs ago when Vokoun was mouthing off in the media. Some of Hartnell's and Tootoo's antics helped that along. Forsberg was considered one of the best players in the league who was respected for the way he could hurt you-- by scoring. What helps the intensity is having very good players up against each other. Rivalries, I think, build on the repeated challenges these teams give each other, along with the blood that gets spilled. The Wings-Aves rivalry was epic because the feeling always was that one of the two teams was going to win the Cup and what stood in their ways was the other team.
I didn't know if you had said anything about Forsberg and the rivalry with the Preds or not, but a lot of people have, and I can see it adding to the rivalry, at least among the fans.

And I agree that having very good players/teams is what really builds rivalries, but so does the all the other hoopla, such as the comments you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
I guess with Bert, I do get tired of having the guy's entire career boiled down to one incident. Nothing that happened before seems relevant, and three years later it seems to be all some people talk about (in general, not anyone here). It's going to take care of itself. Some courts have already issued rulings, the NHL did their part, and eventually there's going to be an award or a settlement. I personally want to get back to the hockey and leave that other stuff in the hands of the courts and law where it belongs. [Sorry if this sounds like a rant, MM, it's not aimed at you.]
I didn't take it personally, but I'm also of the opinion that the Moore hit is what will always stick in people's mind about Bertuzzi unless he does something really big before he retires.

Think about Bill Clinton. With all that happened during his presidency, particularly as people realize the build up of Al Quaeda during the 90's, you still know that his name will forever be linked with "Lewinski".

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Ultimate*

Quote:
This started a bit a couple of playoffs ago when Vokoun was mouthing off in the media.
Again, what did he say exactly? I asked this in a different thread awhile back and received no response.

Oh by the way, the dead horse that is the Bertuzzi/Moore incident has disintegrated into fine dust by now. I didn't care for it then and I sure as hell don't now. I mean, it's not really Todd's fault that Steve Moore has brittle bones...*can of worms explode*

Ultimate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Yeah, you're right, MM. I think of something Bert said too, lots of people live in glass houses. You just know the guys who come down the hardest on Bert would be the first ones whining if they ever needed a second chance. "I didn't mean to do it." "I just didn't stop to think." "Everyone screws up once in a while." Woe is me!

Hey, the Lifetime Channel and Hollywood would both go out of business if life wasn't about people screwing things up. It's the holier than though crap that gets me mad.

Old
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
Again, what did he say exactly? I asked this in a different thread awhile back and received no response.

Basically he called them a bunch of whiners because they didn't like it that the Preds were taking liberties. In that playoff round, the Preds didn't have the talent level yet to go head-to-head with the Wings. They had Vokoun and then they gooned it up, and knew their only chance was to get physical.