HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs To Target: Kimo Timonen.

Old
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
imkinger

vCash: 500
UFAs To Target: Kimo Timonen.

I think Kimo Timonen would be an excellent free agent for Kevin Lowe to go after this offseason. In his post defending Smyth's value, Rivers commented that he has "a sneaking suspicion that if the Oilers do get a UFA, they'll make a major mistake on someone obviously not elite like Timonen." This got me thinking, is Timonen an elite player? From what I can tell, if Smyth is considered elite then so should Timonen. Frankly, I think that 5.5/5 would be spent wisely if we went after Timonen this offseason.

Let's shoot high here, and compare Timonen's and Lidstrom's 2006-2007 campaigns:

On ice GF/GA:

Lidstrom: GF: 3.76 GA: 1.59 Ratio: +2.18
Timonen: GF: 3.90 GA: 2.50 Ratio: +1.40

Both players' numbers are very impressive. However, it's clear that Lidstrom holds a significant advantage.

Quality of Competition:

Lidstrom: 0.0818
Timonen: 0.0793

This is pretty much a wash, both players are playing tough minutes and outscoring their opposition.

Powerplay +/- over 60 minutes:

Lidstrom: +6.05 | Teammates: +5.04 | Ratio: +1.01
Timonen: +7.20 | Teammates: +5.40 | Ratio: +1.80

A clear advantage for Timonen. Moreover, his superiority is still evident when you take into account the fact that Timonen is playing with better players.

Shorthanded +/- over 60 minutes:

Lidstrom: -4.50
Timonen: -3.86

Another clear advantage for Timonen.

All and all it appears that Kimo Timonen is an elite player. He significantly outscores his competition while playing the tough minutes and excels on both the PP and the PK. Moreover, when compared to a future HHOF like Lidstrom, Timonen not only holds his own at ES, but looks like the better player on special teams.

Last edited by imkinger: 03-04-2007 at 06:48 PM.
imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
TheGreatone94

Timonen will be resigned by the Preds. He was named their captain and they will move contracts to fit him in.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Boozers

He's going to get overpayed. Were not going to get him, and Im sure other people feel the same way. I see them signing a cheaper defencemen and then maybe trading for a number 1/2 defencemen at the draft or in the summer

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
Timonen will be resigned by the Preds. He was named their captain and they will move contracts to fit him in.
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Old
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
He's going to get overpayed. Were not going to get him, and Im sure other people feel the same way. I see them signing a cheaper defencemen and then maybe trading for a number 1/2 defencemen at the draft or in the summer
What would you consider an overpay for a guy like Timonen?

Old
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
IBleedOil247

UFA's to go after by the Oilers:

NONE!!!!

If we go after UFA's they will be ridiculously overpriced for 2 reasons: i) Thats just what happens ii) We would have to pay them more than everyone else just to come to Edmonton.

The best way Kevin Lowe is going to be able to make this team better is through trades. We have so many young assets and draft pics we could easly trade for markee players because of other teams cap troubles.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
What would you consider an overpay for a guy like Timonen?
Reality check....Eric Brewer just got 4.5 Mill. Timonen will probably get about 6, not worth 6 IMO.

Old
03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Oilerdiehard

I would absolutely love that! I have a feeling he may not make it to UFA status though. If he is there go hard after him. The only thing is I think Lowe may have learned not to wait around hoping you get something and will trade for what we need before then. Timonen would be just what the doctor ordered on our blue line though IMO.

I could see us trading for a D and then going hard after Hartnell (who in a radio interview before this season said he would love to play in Edmonton and play with his buddy Jarret Stoll) up front.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
Reality check....Eric Brewer just got 4.5 Mill. Timonen will probably get about 6, not worth 6 IMO.
Take a look at the those numbers, if Lidstrom is worth 7.6m, why is Timonen not worth 6?

Old
03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I would absolutely love that! I have a feeling he may not make it to UFA status though. If he is there go hard after him. The only thing is I think Lowe may have learned not to wait around hoping you get something and will trade for what we need before then. Timonen would be just what the doctor ordered on our blue line though IMO.
That's fair, let's hope he does though. I absolutely think we should go hard after him as well.

Old
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Take a look at the those numbers, if Lidstrom is worth 7.6m, why is Timonen not worth 6?
You can do whatever you want with the numbers. The fact of the matter is that someone else will overpay him way more than the Oilers can afford. Secondly, he is Nashvilles CAPTAIN! He obvioulsy means alot to there organization and with Foresburg not returning next year (pretty confident on that one) they will have alot of money to throw Timonens way.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see him here but the UFA battle, especially for markee DMen, is way out of the Oilers league. Dmen in the NHL are at an absolute premium right now and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Old
03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
imkinger

Quote:
You can do whatever you want with the numbers. The fact of the matter is that someone else will overpay him way more than the Oilers can afford. Secondly, he is Nashvilles CAPTAIN! He obvioulsy means alot to there organization and with Foresburg not returning next year (pretty confident on that one) they will have alot of money to throw Timonens way.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see him here but the UFA battle, especially for markee DMen, is way out of the Oilers league. Dmen in the NHL are at an absolute premium right now and there is nothing we can do to change that.
Yo do realize we offered Chara 7 million dollars last year? There is no reason to think (unless of course he signs an extension with the Preds) that the Oilers can't be in running for Timonen's services.

Sure, we may not win the sweepstakes, but that is no reason not to go after him.

Old
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
The Rage

Quote:
UFA's to go after by the Oilers:

NONE!!!!

If we go after UFA's they will be ridiculously overpriced for 2 reasons: i) Thats just what happens ii) We would have to pay them more than everyone else just to come to Edmonton.

The best way Kevin Lowe is going to be able to make this team better is through trades. We have so many young assets and draft pics we could easly trade for markee players because of other teams cap troubles.
How many teams will have cap trouble if the cap goes to 48 million?

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
ChrisB

Timonen would be a great pick up. I'm not sure if Nashville will let him go through. Timmonen, Markov and Phillips are probably the top tier of possible UFA defensemen..whether they hit the open market or not is debatable.

I'm hoping the management shows a commitment to winning and signs a long term contract with a top pairing defenseman and picks up a decent winger like Hartnell.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
OntOilFan

I've heard Philly is going to make a strong push for Timonen.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
JDubs

Wait a minute....you're not a Canucks fan? This is pretty OT but I'm also pretty confused.

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I've heard Philly is going to make a strong push for Timonen.
Makes sense, Clarke was pretty cheesed about losing Johnsson last year.

Old
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubs View Post
Wait a minute....you're not a Canucks fan? This is pretty OT but I'm also pretty confused.
Can't a man be obsessed with Brendan Morrison and still be an Oilers fan?

Morrison is playing GREAT right now...

Old
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
JDubs

Quote:
Can't a man be obsessed with Brendan Morrison and still be an Oilers fan?

Morrison is playing GREAT right now...
Well yeah, the whole "Playoff Push" thing threw me off though

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

There's no way Timonen is going to get offered or will demand 6 mil. He knows his value and it's not that high. 4 mil would be the highest. Well, unless Flyers decide to offer him ridiculous amounts. As for Preds wanting to re-sign him, they ahve a lot of prospects coming up on defense, and it's rumoured they're going to make an offer to another Finnish d-man Janne Niskala (whom they drafted a while ago) who set the Swedish league record for most points by a d-man this season.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Lessy

If he hits the market (which I doubt he will because I think he'll be resigning in Nashville) I can see him getting around 5.5.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
PunjabiOil*

I'd target Hannan too. Very, very underrated.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:19 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
I don't like Timonen as a UFA signing for two reasons: 1) he is having a career year and is going to be in line for a big raise. He should get over 6M. 2) He is already 32 and my guess is he would be looking for a longer term deal.

Id rather have Rafalski if he is available. Or spend the money on two guess: Hannan and A. Markov.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
How many teams will have cap trouble if the cap goes to 48 million?
If if does, then we have even more cap space to compete providing the EIG does not want to go so close to the limit.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
theoil

Quote:
Makes sense, Clarke was pretty cheesed about losing Johnsson last year.
A little RFA offer sheet on Pitkanen should take care of their cap space, don't you think?

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote