HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alot of things change in 5 years or so...

Old
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Alot of things change in 5 years or so...

I did this once before, some people thought it was neat, just thought I'd do it again..here was the last thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=304463

-------------------------------

This time, I took out the March 1st, 2002 issue of The Hockey News.

- The cover is of Mario Lemieux and it says Captain Canada. This was in reference to the upcoming Olympics in Salt Lake City.

- This issue was also the 14th annual Future Watch special. The top 10 prospects were Tuomo Ruutu, Ryan Miller, Stanislav Chistov, Vaclav Nederost, Jeff Jillson, Mikko Koivu, Rick DiPietro, Jason Spezza, Alexander Svitov, Jordan Leopold.

- This issue was also the Goalie Special. THN decided to build the perfect goaltender..Best Skater - Curtis Joseph, Best Puckhandler - Martin Brodeur, Best Blocker - Tommy Salo, Best Rebound Control - Jose Theodore, Best Glove - Mike Richter, Best Brain - Dom Hasek, The X-Factor - Manny Legace.

- Also as part of the goalie special they ranked their top 5 goalies. They were..Patrick Roy, Nikolai Khabibulin, Jose Theodore, Roman Cechmanek, Dominik Hasek.

From the team notes sections (some teams)....

- Atlanta GM Don Waddell looks to start contract talks with defenseman Jiri Slegr during the all-star break.

- Boston enters the break as the only team in the NHL with 5 current 20 goal scorers..the players were: Glen Murray, Brian Rolston, Sergei Samsonov, Bill Guerin, and Joe Thornton.

- The Buffalo Sabres are furious that Devils defenseman Colin White got off suspension-free after he hit Vaclav Varada from behind. Varada suffered a sore back and neck.

- Carolina right winger Craig Adams is suspended 10 games for leaving the bench during an altercation against San Jose.

- Chicago goaltender Jocelyn Thibault enters the olympic break with 29 wins, second most in the NHL.

- Colorado brings back veteran Mike Keane from St.Louis for Shjon Podein.
Rumors floating around that Chris Drury could be dealt to Boston for Bill Guerin.

- Edmonton wingers Anson Carter and Jochen Hecht feel pressured to produce offensively in Edmonton. Hecht has only 2 goals in his last 16 games while Carter has only 1 in his last 18.

- Florida winger Kristian Huselius struggles under coach Mike Keenans's system, struggles after winning rookie of the month back in October.

- Minnesota goaltender Dwayne Roloson has played in 34 games, 5 shy of his career record of 39 with Calgary back in 97/98.
Sergei Zholtok is furious over Risebrough's decision to not allow him to play for Latvia at the olympics...he goes on to score 6 goals in 3 games.

- Montreal Canadiens captain Saku Koivu inspires many as he takes part in his first full practice with the team since being diagnosed with cancer.

- Nashville goaltender Mike Dunham has surrendered more than 4 goals only once this season.

- the New York Islanders are getting good results from their newly formed 3rd line of Kip Miller, Dave Scatchard, and Mats Lindgren.

- Rangers center Mark Messier planned to spend time during the olympic break in Toronto, undergoing Sonorex treatment, a form of shockwave treatment not yet available in the US, for his ailing left shoulder.

- Flyers winger Rick Tocchet, sidelined for the entire season because of a torn tendon in his left knee, looks to play after the olympic break.

- One year after GM Bobby Smith placed him on waivers, Coyotes center Daniel Briere currently leads the team in scoring with 38 points in 55 games.

- Penguins center Mario Lemieux almost gets into a rare fight during a game against Ottawa, connecting with a punch to defenseman Karel Rachunek.

- Tampa Bay GM Rick Dudley resigns from the job after a series of dissagreements with president Ron Campbell.

- Toronto defenseman Dmitry Yushkevich participates in a morning skate only 4 days after being diagnosed with a blood clot in his right leg.

- Canucks winger Todd Bertuzzi ties Petr Nedved's 10 year old record for points in consecutive games at 15. He had 20 points during the streak.

- THN's 3 stars of the week were: Coyotes center Daymond Lankow, Oilers defeseman Janne Niinimaa, and Sharks goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

- This weeks seperated at birth features John Tortorella and Henry Winkler.

----------------------------------

Every now and then I just like reading old editions of THN. What can I say, I love hockey.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 03-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I did this once before, some people thought it was neat, just thought I'd do it again..here was the last thread

- The cover is of Mario Lemieux and it says Captain Canada. This was in reference to the upcoming Olympics in Salt Lake City.

- This issue was also the 14th annual Future Watch special. The top 10 prospects were Tuomo Ruutu, Ryan Miller, Stanislav Chistov, Vaclav Nederost, Jeff Jillson, Mikko Koivu, Rick DiPietro, Jason Spezza, Alexander Svitov, Jordan Leopold.

- This issue was also the Goalie Special. THN decided to build the perfect goaltender..Best Skater - Curtis Joseph, Best Puckhandler - Martin Brodeur, Best Blocker - Tommy Salo, Best Rebound Control - Jose Theodore, Best Glove - Mike Richter, Best Brain - Dom Hasek, The X-Factor - Manny Legace.

- Also as part of the goalie special they ranked their top 5 goalies. They were..Patrick Roy, Nikolai Khabibulin, Jose Theodore, Roman Cechmanek, Dominik Hasek.

- Atlanta GM Don Waddell looks to start contract talks with defenseman Jiri Slegr during the all-star break.

- Boston enters the break as the only team in the NHL with 5 current 20 goal scorers..the players were: Glen Murray, Brian Rolston, Sergei Samsonov, Bill Guerin, and Joe Thornton.

- The Buffalo Sabres are furious that Devils defenseman Colin White got off suspension-free after he hit Vaclav Varada from behind. Varada suffered a sore back and neck.

- Carolina right winger Craig Adams is suspended 10 games for leaving the bench during an altercation against San Jose.

- Chicago goaltender Jocelyn Thibault enters the olympic break with 29 wins, second most in the NHL.

- Colorado brings back veterna Mike Keane from St.Louis for Shjon Podein.
Rumors floating around that Chris Drury could be dealt to Boston for Bill Guerin.

- Edmonton wingers Anson Carter and Jochen Hecht feel pressured to produce offensively in Edmonton. Hecht has only 2 goals in his last 16 games while Carter has only 1 in his last 18.

- Florida winger Kristian Huselius struggles under coach Mike Keenans's system, struggles after winning rookie of the month back in October.

- Minnesota goaltender Dwayne Roloson has played in 34 games, 5 shy of his career record of 39 with Calgary back in 97/98.
Sergei Zholtok is furious over Risebrough's decision to not allow him to play for Latvia at the olympics...he goes on to score 6 goals in 3 games.

- Montreal Canadiens captain Saku Koivu inspires many as he takes part in his first full practice with the team since being diagnosed with cancer.

- Nashville goaltender Mike Dunham has surrendered more than 4 goals only once this season.

- the New York Islanders are getting good results from their newly formed 3rd line of Kip Miller, Dave Scatchard, and Mats Lindgren.

- Rangers center Mark Messier planned to spend time during the olympic break in Toronto, undergoing Sonorex treatment, a form of shockwave treatment not yet available in the US, for his ailing left shoulder.

- Flyers winger Rick Tocchet, sidelined for the entire season because of a torn tendon in his left knee, looks to play after the olympic break.

- One year after GM Bobby Smith placed him on waivers, Coyotes center Daniel Briere currently leads the team in scoring with 38 points in 55 games.

- Penguins center Mario Lemieux almost gets into a rare fight during a game against Ottawa, connecting with a punch to defenseman Karel Rachunek.

- Tampa Bay GM Rick Dudley resigns from the job after a series of dissagreements with president Ron Campbell.

- Toronto defenseman Dmitry Yushkevich participates in a morning skate only 4 days after being diagnosed with a blood clot in his right leg.

- Canucks winger Todd Bertuzzi ties Petr Nedved's 10 year old record for points in consecutive games at 15. He had 20 points during the streak.

- THN's 3 stars of the week were: Coyotes center Daymond Lankow, Oilers defeseman Janne Niinimaa, and Sharks goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

Every now and then I just like reading old editions of THN. What can I say, I love hockey.

Could he be like that as a Habs ?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
- Colorado brings back veterna Mike Keane from St.Louis for Shjon Podein.
I'm glad that didn't happen.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:27 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
And if you said "Ovechkin" or "Crosby", many hockey fans would have responded "who?"

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:38 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
This issue was also the 14th annual Future Watch special. The top 10 prospects were Tuomo Ruutu, Ryan Miller, Stanislav Chistov, Vaclav Nederost, Jeff Jillson, Mikko Koivu, Rick DiPietro, Jason Spezza, Alexander Svitov, Jordan Leopold
Sorta, yes, sorta, no, no, no, yes, YES, who? yes.

Habsfan18 ... keep doing this. Good stuff.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Sorta, yes, sorta, no, no, no, yes, YES, who? yes.

Habsfan18 ... keep doing this. Good stuff.
I will

But why no to Mikko Koivu? He seems to be developing very well.

Old
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:

- Colorado brings back veteran Mike Keane from St.Louis for Shjon Podein.

R.I.P

poor guy

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
thenextone

I believe at that point Lemieux and Canada already won the Gold medal.

I remember Bertuzzi's point streak too. It was crazy. The Canucks had played at an insane clip after Christmas to sneak into the 8th spot.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
I believe at that point Lemieux and Canada already won the Gold medal.

I remember Bertuzzi's point streak too. It was crazy. The Canucks had played at an insane clip after Christmas to sneak into the 8th spot.
you have to remember that the cover date of THN is actually like a week after the actual date.

Old
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Could he be like that as a Habs ?
You know...nobody really knows what happened with Janne..he just started to suck..

Old
03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
fastb

Quote:
Man, what happened?

fastb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
LyleOdelein

Very cool read. Neat to look back.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Tony_S*

Nice post... Interesting stuff...

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:51 PM
jaems

Quote:

Four goaltenders I forgot were actually good at some point.

Also, never knew that Hecht played in Edmonton.

Thanks for posting that.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
louieleftwing

Whoa dude this is kinda creepy. I remember this issue well because i remember the future watch with Ruutu #1. I can remember exactly where i was when reading it between lunch and my 1:30 philosophy class sophomore year of college...the dates match up. This was post-jagr trade so i bet i was real interested to see where future Pens stars Beech, Sivek and Lupaschuk were ranked.

Then again 5 years doesn't seem a long time at all anymore.

louieleftwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Habsfan18

this stuff really makes ya realize that so much changes in the NHL in 5 years. Especially for goaltenders...I mean, like 10 or more number 1 goaltenders in the league right now might not even be in the NHL anymore come 5 years down the road.

Old
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteow View Post
Four goaltenders I forgot were actually good at some point.
Darcy Wakaluk, Allan Bester, Roman Turek, Corey Hirsch, Kay Whitmore, Mikhail Shtalenkov, Jimmy Waite, Tim Cheveldae, Bob Essensa, Craig Billington, Kirk McLean, Corey Schwab, Felix Potvin, Wade Flaherty, Glenn Healy, Steve Passmore, Darren Puppa, Rick Tabaracci, Stephane Beauregard, Trevor Kidd, Bill Ranford, Andrei Trefilov, Ken Wreggett, Tom Barrasso, Norm Maracle and Guy Herbert.

Just a list of goaltenders who were actually good at some point. How many do we remember?

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:17 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Darcy Wakaluk, Allan Bester, Roman Turek, Corey Hirsch, Kay Whitmore, Mikhail Shtalenkov, Jimmy Waite, Tim Cheveldae, Bob Essensa, Craig Billington, Kirk McLean, Corey Schwab, Felix Potvin, Wade Flaherty, Glenn Healy, Steve Passmore, Darren Puppa, Rick Tabaracci, Stephane Beauregard, Trevor Kidd, Bill Ranford, Andrei Trefilov, Ken Wreggett, Tom Barrasso, Norm Maracle and Guy Herbert.

Just a list of goaltenders who were actually good at some point. How many do we remember?

One of these is not like the others ....

Tom Barasso is a borderline Hall of Famer.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
To think he could have been had for free once, just like Steve Sullivan.....

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
To think he could have been had for free once, just like Steve Sullivan.....
yup, and not sure if he was on waivers..but the same could be said for Marty St.Louis.

Old
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
CapsChemist

Dmitry Yushkevich...what happened?

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:15 PM
sabresfan65
Vegas Wants Hockey!!

Quote:

Looks more like a list of goaltenders that were alive at one time. Most of them were never good.

sabresfan65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:

the only names I don't know are Andrei Trefilov & Norm Maracle.

I still have a call of Pens announcer Mike Lange saying "Jagr beat Cheveldae like a rented mule"

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Awesome stuff. Thanks

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
the only names I don't know are Andrei Trefiloc & Norm Maracle.
I think Maracle was balding...that was the extent of his talents. ATL fans back me up here?

SteelCitySaviour is offline   Reply With Quote