HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Playoff Avatars... What to do!?

Old
03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
DG

vCash: 500
Playoff Avatars... What to do!?

By now, many people have probably seen the discussion in the avatar thread about playoff avatars. The gist of the conversation is that first there was a debate about whether or not we should have nifty playoff avatars (to which people responded favourably to). Then, we were discussing ideas for a theme we could use.

So far, we came up with the slogan of "flying under the radar" to use on the avatars since for once we aren't favourites and can maybe slip through with lowered expectations. moz made a couple prototypes of avatars we could use with this theme. Here's an example.

Also, the idea of a "pirate" theme was proposed (although, who knows if people were serious). Obviously, the idea came from Arob's request for a Schaefer pirate avatar which was fulfilled by Brembo. Here it is.

We could also go with moz's latest line of avatars...

(This one is brilliant and reserved for billpo, I imagine)

Finally, a semi-proposal was suggested by RTWAP and nomorekids in the Senapreds thread about making Sens/Preds combonation avatars... but I don't know where the Nashville board is on their avatars and I know a lot of members didn't want to support the Preds.

Now, we need to figure out if we all want to have playoff avatars or if we don't care. We need to decide when to start using them. We need to decide if everyone has their own and no one uses duplicates.

But mostly,we need to choose a theme and stick with it so we can get our slave... err... moz on creating prototypes (or anyone else who wants to submit prototypes - not me, I have no grpahic editing talent).

As you can see, there are a lot of unanswered questions going in to the playoffs... it was such a pressing issue that the avatar thread wasn't getting it done, so I created this. We're the best team board here so we can't be shown up by other team boards, many of which who have already started planning! We're crazy and creative here, so let's get a move on and discuss!

Last edited by DG: 03-05-2007 at 12:27 AM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:27 AM
SoulPatch

If someone can manage to put one of these gems into a Sen playoff theme I will be eternaly greatful .

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:40 AM
senility

Maybe it's just me, but I think having an "under the radar" theme would only invite further ridicule from fans of other teams. The best way to actually fly under the radar is not to say 'Hey everybody look at us, we're flying under the radar this year.'

That pirate one of Schaefer is pretty good, but I think that theme could get awfully tired by the time you make 20 of them. I mean, how many different pirate looks are there. Parrots, hooks, bandanas and eye patches will only carry you so far.

Sorry to not offer anything more constructive, but that's my two cents.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:41 AM
moz
Gute Post

Whatever we do brembo's got to be making them!

If you guys have any theme suggestions I can try getting some prototypes together but I'm still really new to photoshop and the whole designing thing.

I like the under the radar theme or any other kind of dark horse thing. Or "every game" since that's the Sens' theme this season?

Pirates is funny but I'm not really seeing a playoff theme there.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:42 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think having an "under the radar" theme would only invite further ridicule from fans of other teams. The best way to actually fly under the radar is not to say 'Hey everybody look at us, we're flying under the radar this year.'
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that a little while ago.

I was wondering if maybe just the radar theme without the slogan might work?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:53 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that a little while ago.

I was wondering if maybe just the radar theme without the slogan might work?
That is pretty good. How about "Senators in Stealth(mode)" or something to that effect. It conveys the idea of flying under the radar, without saying.

I do like the "under the radar theme."

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
moz
Gute Post

You want the text to say Senators in Stealth or no text at all?

edit: oh and fyi I tried animation a few days ago but it's way over the limit and that's only 4 frames

Old
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

I like the text "Under the Radar"

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 12:58 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Our concept should be awesomeness cause the Sens are awesome.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:04 AM
moz
Gute Post

Old
03-05-2007, 01:06 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
You want the text to say Senators in Stealth or no text at all?

edit: oh and fyi I tried animation a few days ago but it's way over the limit and that's only 4 frames
I'm just throwing out suggestions. I like both.

Thanks for trying...did it look half decent though

I am jut concerned that "Senators in Stealth" doesn't make sense? I'm not sure. Do you like it?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:07 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
now that is awesome

Old
03-05-2007, 01:08 AM
moz
Gute Post

Personally I like everything that's been suggested so far. Serious ones, jokes ones, cocky ones... they all work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome
now that is awesome
literally.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Gr8full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
That is pretty good. How about "Senators in Stealth(mode)" or something to that effect. It conveys the idea of flying under the radar, without saying.

I do like the "under the radar theme."
Stealth mode or under the radar we are not and certainly won't be in the playoffs. That implies invisibility and since Xmas we have been anything but,what with our record and the Buffalo/Montreal incidents. Now you can still use the radar avatars if you use a slogan that at least sounds like it is connected somehow.

Now when I saw the radar screen avatars I thought of things like the movie "Hunt for Red October" and that sort of thing. How about instead of having the players under the radar screen we have the cup under it (just slightly out of focus) and the players on top (they wouldn't be so dark then either). Then for a slogan we have something like "Search for the Cup '07" or "Hunt for the Cup '07"?

Anyway, just a couple thoughts.

Last edited by Gr8full: 03-05-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:10 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Personally I like everything that's been suggested so far. Serious ones, jokes ones, cocky ones... they all work for me.

literally.
we will probably have to come up with some formal vote to figure it out

Old
03-05-2007, 01:12 AM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8full View Post
Stealth mode or under the radar we are not and certainly won't be in the playoffs. That implies invisibility and since Xmas we have been anything but,what with our record and the Buffalo/Montreal incidents. Now you can still use the radar avatars if you use a slogan that at least sounds like it is connected somehow.

Now when I saw the radar screen avatars I thought of things like the movie "Hunt for Red October" and that sort of thing. How about instead of having the players under the radar screen we have the cup under it and the players on top (they wouldn't be so dark then either). Then for a slogan we have something like "Search for the Cup '07" or "Hunt for the Cup '07"?

I like that idea but I thought we weren't supposed to mention the cup?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Why not, if we can't talk cup then we don't deserve it. Need the swagger from the top of the organization right down to the fans. I want to win the cup. I talk about the awesomeness of the Sens winning it every day with my friends. The quest for the Sens cup begins in April.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Gr8full

Quote:
The slogan can definitely be altered to take the word cup out. Any suggestions anybody?

Old
03-05-2007, 01:17 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8full View Post

Now when I saw the radar screen avatars I thought of things like the movie "Hunt for Red October" and that sort of thing. How about instead of having the players under the radar screen we have the cup under it and the players on top (they wouldn't be so dark then either). Then for a slogan we have something like "Search for the Cup '07" or "Hunt for the Cup '07"?

Ya but the vast majority of non Senator fan posters on HF do not take our team seriously. Sens are chokers. Or watch out for Buffalo, NJ, Pittsburgh.

The media has taken a turn agasint the team for not acquiring Roberts. We didn't apperently add that player who will get us over the top.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:18 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Why not, if we can't talk cup then we don't deserve it. Need the swagger from the top of the organization right down to the fans. I want to win the cup. I talk about the awesomeness of the Sens winning it every day with my friends. The quest for the Sens cup begins in April.
Muckler has gained some humillity from those words and I think we should learn the same lesson.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Gr8full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
Ya but the vast majority of non Senator fan posters on HF do not take our team seriously. Sens are chokers. Or watch out for Buffalo, NJ, Pittsburgh.

The media has taken a turn agasint the team for not acquiring Roberts. We didn't apperently add that player who will get us over the top.
We're not being cocky and saying it's ours, just that we are in the hunt just like they are.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:04 AM
moz
Gute Post

I can't find the right font but here's a hunt for red october themed one.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:19 AM
DEATHtrap

Quote:

I actually like this one the best. It is simple and yet there is some stuff going on. I like the partial cup in the background. It goes along with attempts to stay modest.

It also has a senators feel with the black and Red scheme

Old
03-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Gr8full

Quote:

Nice job moz, the color is great and it looks so much cleaner without the radar screen. We'd need an actual slogan though rather than just "The hunt". Maybe add an '07 or something. Heck, if it doesn't get approved I might just get you to do up a nice Phillips one for me if you would.

Old
03-05-2007, 02:24 AM
moz
Gute Post

We can work on the slogan. The tough part will be finding awesome tough guy shots for all the players. I think that Redden one is the only one I have.

I really need to fix the font though. I'm not sure why it's looking like something done in paint.