HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev story hit newspapers

Old
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
So true. This is another proof that the Mtl media take waaaaay too much place. It rightfully scares most players that COULD come play here, which doesn't make BG life that much easier. No problem talking about sport in the media, but here they are borderline paparazzi.

The Mtl media is a very serious nuisance to the sport.
While on one hand, this is a story, Gagnon's take on Team990 was interesting. The contenet and timing of the interview is one issue, though the issue Gagnon seemed most upset about was the fcat that Kovalev denied giving the interview. It seems that lying to the media takes precedent over the actually story. So, yes, the media does have an inflated view of themselves.

That being said, this story will have legs and it'll be pretty interesting watching this one develop.

We're going to hear a lot of opinions, but it comes down to the old chicken and egg arguement. When the team was winning, it's a family. When they're losing, they're dysfunctional and there's rifts over ethnic lines. So, does the team lose because of the rift, or is there a rift because the team's losing ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:40 AM
BORAT

Gagnon brought up something with Ribeiro ??? WDF was that all about ?

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
So, yes, the media does have an inflated view of themselves.
You think?

Don't forget this, too: "Gainey won't talk to us! He's an incompetent, look at all these awful moves he's made, and the worst thing, the most horrible thing, he won't talk to us! THE GALL! What more proof do you need that he's a horrible person?"

I've added a few tons to the amount of salt I take media analysis with these days. They've always had an over-inflated opinion of themselves but these days it almost seems like they want things to revolve around themselves...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Strangely I have a new respect for Kovy after that interview because everything he said appears true to me, except for hoping to stay on a line with Samsonov.

- The "system" they play sucks...can't argue with that.
- French Canadien players get the benefit of the doubt by Carbo, again nothing to argue here, Kostytsin was more NHL ready than Lats yet was sent down.
- A divide in the locker room between different groups, while i don't know this it would not surprise me.

That's pretty much all he said. Carbo is not a good coach at this point and he appears to me at least to have an ego problem behind the bench. Hence, his constant benching of veteran players and clearly apparent lack of communication with them when he does bench them. It gets tired real quick. His "system" sucks **** and doesn't work, you'd think at some point he'd consider adjusting it to help the team rather than just blaming players for losses (while i'm not defending them completely, change is good and a motivator)

And he clearly has no clue how to motivate his team.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Kovalev is a real cancer in the team. He always complain and do not give a **** to play like he's able to... pathetic...

I agree with Gagnon that Kovalev is such an idiot to denied all what he said....Be a man an stand tall with your opinions

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
Kovalev is a real cancer in the team. He always complain and do not give a **** to play like he's able to... pathetic...

I agree with Gagnon that Kovalev is such an idiot to denied all what he said....Be a man an stand tall with your opinions
He gets paid...that's seems to be the only thing he cares about these days.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Strangely I have a new respect for Kovy after that interview because everything he said appears true to me, except for hoping to stay on a line with Samsonov.

- French Canadien players get the benefit of the doubt by Carbo, again nothing to argue here, Kostytsin was more NHL ready than Lats yet was sent down.
- A divide in the locker room between different groups, while i don't know this it would not surprise me.

That's pretty much all he said. Carbo is not a good coach at this point and he appears to me at least to have an ego problem behind the bench. Hence, his constant benching of veteran players and clearly apparent lack of communication with them when he does bench them. It gets tired real quick. His "system" sucks **** and doesn't work, you'd think at some point he'd consider adjusting it to help the team rather than just blaming players for losses (while i'm not defending them completely, change is good and a motivator)

+10

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You think?

Don't forget this, too: "Gainey won't talk to us! He's an incompetent, look at all these awful moves he's made, and the worst thing, the most horrible thing, he won't talk to us! THE GALL! What more proof do you need that he's a horrible person?"

I've added a few tons to the amount of salt I take media analysis with these days. They've always had an over-inflated opinion of themselves but these days it almost seems like they want things to revolve around themselves...
But then, not only did Kevin Lowe held a press conference after that really "popular" move of getting rid of Smyth but he was also at the "After Hours" show after his game against Calgary Saturday. I do believe that the people that permit you to do your kind of living, have a right to be talked to. And it's not like he's been asked to talk to every single day like the coach. But trade deadline is definately one spot where he should have.

And I believe that not being talked to has nothing to do with the fact that it's against the medias and they're frustrated about it 'cause don't you think they're selling more paper now with their negative articles than they would reporting what Gainey would have said? One way or the other, journalists will always find something to say. Don't worry, team is not doing well, and they have way more fun professionnaly that way.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post

Again, if what Kovalev says it's true or not, is irrelevant. We crucified Carbo for blaming his goalies openly, for blaming the refs openly and so on, but Kovalev has a right to do so? Should have stayed in the room, Kovalev should have went even to Bob if he wanted to and speak against the coach.

But in this whole article, after he blames everybody, where is the part where he blames himself?

Carbonneau is a rookie coach, makes rookie mistakes, would great veterans be there to support him instead of stabbing him in the back? Besides that 3rd period, where Kovy saw more bench than ice, was he persecuted by Carbo? Didn't Carbo stayed with him even when he wasn't playing good?

Seems that Carbo not so long ago pissed Mr. Kovalev off 'cause he asked him to serve a bench penalty not so long ago. Kovalev supposedly said " Isn't there some other $%$%?%% in this team that you could send instead of me? Seemed the relation went downhill from that point.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-05-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again, if what Kovalev says it's true or not, is irrelevant. We crucified Carbo for blaming his goalies openly, for blaming the refs openly and so on, but Kovalev has a right to do so? Should have stayed in the room, Kovalev should have went even to Bob if he wanted to and speak against the coach.

But in this whole article, after he blames everybody, where is the part where he blames himself?
Good post.

This is the type of stuff that should never see the light of day. But Kovalev, at this point of his career, is a cancer. His skills are not what they used to be and all he does on the ice is float around. He is paid like a star but doesn't act like it on or off the ice. How is Carbo suppose to contain his ego?

Old
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

furax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
IcemanTBI

Well, I read the article. And I can't say I disagree with what Kovy says. Funny thing is, didn't we have this problem once before, with cliques and finger pointing? This reminds me of the Theo-Ribs-Dagenais crap from a couple years ago.

But he is right about Kosty and how the french players are treated better. Can't say that Lats is better than Kosty, no way. Lats should be in the AHL and it should be Kosty that should have a spot on this team.

Anyway, if there are cliques and divisions in the dressing room, then the blame has to be put squarely on Koivu, as this crap happened before. I've always thought that Koivu, while he is a good player, is not captain material, not in Montreal at least. They should give it to someone like Begin who can fire this team up and unite the team with one simple goal. Winning.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
They should give it to someone like Begin who can fire this team up and unite the team with one simple goal. Winning.
And his 9 min of ice time...

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
brownman*

Take note of the picture La Presse provided, makes it look like Kovy is laughing all the way to the bank on purpose....damn selective journalism

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
BORAT

YES Kovy is a hypocrit
YES Kovy is right

but once again this proves that this locker room is out of control and THAT will be a VIBRANT mark of the Koivu captainship years ...

Koivu never managed to control this locker ...

Old
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
I also believed Kovy, but apparently, the team at La Presse got a clip (not the full interview) of the interview given by Kovalev. It went on the air on a Russian radio station.
And they apparently know what Kovalev sounds like when talking in Russian?

And it's not difficult to imitate someone on the radio?

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Couldn't all of this have happened, say, last week? Doh!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
YES Kovy is a hypocrit
YES Kovy is right

but once again this proves that this locker room is out of control and THAT will be a VIBRANT mark of the Koivu captainship years ...

It's not Koivu's job to control the locker room. It's Carbonneau and the coaching staff's job. The only job that Koivu has, as a captain, is to speak in the name of the players. He's just the players' spokesperson, that is all. The media puts way too much importance on the title of captain.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
anyway..that just confirmed what i tought of this team and the coaching staff: complete mess
How does a (probably) faked up interview confirm anything? Maybe it your mind and in a few other's imaginations.

I saw this ***storm coming when we saw that ***tty translation of the 'interview' popped up here.

Maybe some you need to spend more time learning how to separate BS from reality; stop taking every little bit of internet crap as gospel.

I feel like Mr. Leahy today.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
YES Kovy is a hypocrit
YES Kovy is right

So when did this team become full of 10 year olds? I'm ****ing tired of these pampered athletes who only care about collecting a paycheck...do they have any pride? I agree about Koivu maybe not being the best captain (vocally) but does he really need to hold all these guys hands so they can feel all good inside. They are grown men for **** sakes.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:37 AM
TheGoalJudge

Well for all you guys bashing Kovalev, if I'm not mistaken, in the article he says that he tries to talk to the young guys but they disregard him. He says they're "impossible to talk to" or something.

And you guys seemed to also miss the part where he says he'd rather accept the challenge of montreal than float around and when a cup on a powerhouse team.

And I hate when people say he doesn't give a damn. Obviously he cares or he wouldn't have said all this. Remember, he chose to re-sign here.

You think if he magically decided to try he'd start scoring? People rag on him all the time expecting 100 points a year just because of the glimpses of talent he shows with the puck. So if he doesn't score he's not trying?

The only time he really passes the puck is when he's on the PP and he's playing with Koivu, what a coincidence, another great player. He's starting to trust Plekanec more however but his days in Montreal are likely finished.

Boy, I sound like a Kovalev apologist which I'm really not. I would welcome a trade for him at any time, but I think he gets a bad wrap.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:39 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Couldn't all of this have happened, say, last week? Doh!
Wouldn't it be great if this never happened. Why does Montreal always have to be the most dramatic off-ice team in the league? I'll admit to not following other teams as closely, but I don't think there is anywhere near as many off-ice issues elsewhere in the league. Is it the team? Is it the players? Is it the media?

Is it all that surprising that it is hard to get free agents to sign in Montreal? Who would want to put up with this crap? Some of the long term players here must be saints for sticking around as long as they have.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Well for all you guys bashing Kovalev, if I'm not mistaken, in the article he says that he tries to talk to the young guys but they disregard him. He says they're "impossible to talk to" or something.

And you guys seemed to also miss the part where he says he'd rather accept the challenge of montreal than float around and when a cup on a powerhouse team.

And I hate when people say he doesn't give a damn. Obviously he cares or he wouldn't have said all this. Remember, he chose to re-sign here.

You think if he magically decided to try he'd start scoring? People rag on him all the time expecting 100 points a year just because of the glimpses of talent he shows with the puck. So if he doesn't score he's not trying?

The only time he really passes the puck is when he's on the PP and he's playing with Koivu, what a coincidence, another great player. He's starting to trust Plekanec more however but his days in Montreal are likely finished.

Boy, I sound like a Kovalev apologist which I'm really not. I would welcome a trade for him at any time, but I think he gets a bad wrap.
Kovalev has as much personality as a ash tray. He doesnt talk to 3rd/4th liners. He's never invited to a dinner or whatsoever. He doesnt care about the team, he only wants to go back to russia with money.. stanley cup desire? very low

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
knuckles3030

I don’t care if you like Kovalev or not. I don’t care about Kovalev at all. Why attack him for saying the TRUTH? Look at all these people attacking Kovalev and not admitting that the rift was created by favouritism. This team WAS UNITED at the beginning of the season. Carbo did the opposite of what he was supposed to do and created this ethnicity rift favouring the Quebecois. On top of that, he’s given the Russians a rough treatment. No wonder you start seeing cliques. Do you think that hockey players are stupid? They see right away when there’s discrimination from the coach. There’s nothing better than favouritism to lose respect.

And stop blaming Koivu for losing the locker room. He’s not god. He can’t control everyone’s thoughts and opinions. What about Souray? If he’s such a great leader, why couldn’t he do anything about it? What about Begin? Do you need a “C” on your jersey to speak up? Blaming Koivu for this is a bunch of crap! He’s not the best captain, nor the most vocal. You think that Joe Sakic or Mats Sundin would be better at controlling this locker room? Give me a break! Need I remind you that Yzerman was deemed a bad captain and a loser for many years until Detroit finally won the cup?

Let’s not talk about some of the French media. There are a few who have a political agenda. The media has so much power over people’s opinions (especially the ignorant and mass). You can “paint” any picture you want through selective journalism to get your opinion across and people will believe you.

Really, attacking Kovalev and Koivu is pathetic! Look at the problems outlined in what Kovalev said instead of attacking the person to defend your opinion and mindset.

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
So when did this team become full of 10 year olds? I'm ****ing tired of these pampered athletes who only care about collecting a paycheck...do they have any pride? I agree about Koivu maybe not being the best captain (vocally) but does he really need to hold all these guys hands so they can feel all good inside. They are grown men for **** sakes.
I look at Stanley cup winning captains :

Canadiens 76,77,78,79 - Yvan Cournoyer
Islanders 80- Clark Gillies
Islanders 81,82,83- Denis Potvin
Oilers 84 & 85- Gretzky
Canadiens 86- Bob Gainey
Oilers 87 & 88- Wayne Gretzky
Flames in 89- L. MacDonald
Oilers 90- Mark Messier
Penguins 91& 92 - Mario Lemieux
Canadiens 93- Guy Carbonneau
Rangers 94- Mark Messier
Devils 95- Scott Stevens
Avalanche 96- Joe Sakic
Red Wings 97&98 - Steve Yzerman
Stars 99- Derrian Hatcher
Devils 00- Scott Stevens
Avalanche 01- Joe Sakic
Redwings 02- Steve Yzerman
Devils 03- Stevens
Tampa Bay 04- Andreychuk
Hurricanes 06- Rob Brind'amour

what do they offer to their team that Saks doesn't ?

I think Saku needs to play the cards a captain should, to say that it'S Carbo's job to unify the locker ???

I STRONGLY disagree , Carbo should be the one preparing them for games, thats what coaches do, they prepare their team.

Captains make sure their team stays united, that the team stay a team ... isn'T the definition of captain :

n team sports, a captain is an honorary title given to the member of the team primarily responsible for unity and teamwork while the game is in progress on the field. ( off a dictionary )