HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev story hit newspapers

Old
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Astaroth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I look at Stanley cup winning captains :

Canadiens 76,77,78,79 - Yvan Cournoyer
Islanders 80- Clark Gillies
Islanders 81,82,83- Denis Potvin
Oilers 84 & 85- Gretzky
Canadiens 86- Bob Gainey
Oilers 87 & 88- Wayne Gretzky
Flames in 89- L. MacDonald
Oilers 90- Mark Messier
Penguins 91& 92 - Mario Lemieux
Canadiens 93- Guy Carbonneau
Rangers 94- Mark Messier
Devils 95- Scott Stevens
Avalanche 96- Joe Sakic
Red Wings 97&98 - Steve Yzerman
Stars 99- Derrian Hatcher
Devils 00- Scott Stevens
Avalanche 01- Joe Sakic
Redwings 02- Steve Yzerman
Devils 03- Stevens
Tampa Bay 04- Andreychuk
Hurricanes 06- Rob Brind'amour

what do they offer to their team that Saks doesn't ?

I think Saku needs to play the cards a captain should, to say that it'S Carbo's job to unify the locker ???

I STRONGLY disagree , Carbo should be the one preparing them for games, thats what coaches do, they prepare their team.

Captains make sure their team stays united, that the team stay a team ... isn'T the definition of captain :

n team sports, a captain is an honorary title given to the member of the team primarily responsible for unity and teamwork while the game is in progress on the field. ( off a dictionary )
Definitions in theory are rarely the same in practice, especially with such a subjective notion as leadership and captain.I'm pretty sure most of us here has played competitive sports in our lives and some in higher levels than others. And I think we can all agree than the respective captains that we've had were not what the media portrays them to be.

At best, they can give good speeches, is well-liked by everyone and keeps the atmosphere as cordial and light as possible. At worst, it's the team's best player who is a bit moody and doesn't communicate that well but is respected by everyone because of his skill. In my decade of pretty competitive sports career (soccer division 2, hockey midget AAA, DragonBoating top 10 team in Quebec and 20-30th in Canada), I've met some amazing athletes and leaders but guess what; they can't hold you by the hand and they sure as hell can't tell their teammates how to think and play. I mean the ego in a lockerroom is pretty crazy, imagine one where everyone is a millionaire and the adulation of thousands of fans at stake.

Koivu is gonna take some of the blame, which is fine. He is the main leader but management and coaching are gonna have to bear the brunt of the responsibility. The captain is the player's representative, the coach has to control his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Maybe if Kovalev back checked once in a while, then people might want to listen to what he has to say. Don't you think it would be a little strange as a player watching your teammate dog it on the ice and then try and tell you something. I played a lot of sports and I'll tell you one thing, if a lazy teammate tries and tell me **** I'm gonna tell him to **** off.
That is true though, no matter how good a player, if he's lazy you'll give him the finger though it might egg you on to prove him wrong.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
The interview is not a hoax. Football-Hockey is a very credible mag, the journalist is also very credible.

What I don't understand is all the fuss about it. What did he say about francos?? basically nothing exept that they hang out together.

What did he say about the system? basically nothing exept that he doesn't like it because he's an offensive player.

He said that he thought the coach didn't like russians... PJ Stock said pretty much the same on 110%, that Carbo lost the Russian players because he was unfair to them. I've been claiming this for months (not only about russians) but that Carbo isin't a fair coach, a lot of people on these boards said the same.

He said that the coaches status of being former Habs players has very little weight in the eyes of the players. How many times have I read here that Carbo is a superstar coach without any experience..

He said the locker room is divided, didn't we know that before the interview?

Now the big media machine will go all over the story... expect Marc Bureau to shine, meh.

Malakhov style bullsheet...

He did scorch the coach. He blamed the kids for playing superstars. That's where I differ from the media version. They see Latendresse and Lapierre being the kids. I see Higgins and Komisarek (plus Latendresse) in there. You see how perception is?

What bugs me is that he denied it.

The problem lies in the intention. He sounded irrate in the interview and he looks bad by denying it.

Add that to the war of words with Souray and you have a sad mix in the locker room. This could have 2 effects:
1- Carbo brushes it under the carpet (which would be sad).
2- He decides to meet with all the Russians of the team to find out what they REALLY think of him. And they clear the air. That, as a very astute manager of human ressources, would be the thing to do.

But I doubt it will happen like number 2.

I do believe Montreal will have 4.5 M $ less on its payroll come summer time.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
He did scorch the coach. He blamed the kids for playing superstars. That's where I differ from the media version. They see Latendresse and Lapierre being the kids. I see Higgins and Komisarek (plus Latendresse) in there. You see how perception is?

What bugs me is that he denied it.

The problem lies in the intention. He sounded irrate in the interview and he looks bad by denying it.

Add that to the war of words with Souray and you have a sad mix in the locker room. This could have 2 effects:
1- Carbo brushes it under the carpet (which would be sad).
2- He decides to meet with all the Russians of the team to find out what they REALLY think of him. And they clear the air. That, as a very astute manager of human ressources, would be the thing to do.

But I doubt it will happen like number 2.

I do believe Montreal will have 4.5 M $ less on its payroll come summer time.
I also believe Higgins is one of the players Kovy had in mind.... because Higgins was one of those to speak out after the dressing room episode.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Stradale

lol, i predict Michel Bergeron and Marc Bureau will be on 110% tonight.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Could this be a blessing in disguise?

Maybe this will fire the team up...because after all things can't get much worse.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Hopefully François Gagnon from La Presse and Marc de Foy from Le Journal de Montréal will both be there. Maybe we will know wether this whole thing is true or not.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Could this be a blessing in disguise?
Kovy might have to be traded, maybe we can fill his spot with a Quebec superstar lol

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
While that's true, the situation in Montreal is a little bit different. You have the intrusive media combined with the language issue (and it is an issue. If a guy speak no french, chances are, his family won't really want to come to Montreal) as well as the taxes (which I don't think is that big a factor). But, all of these things combined aren't good for attracting high profile UFAs.
But then, if your an anglo, you won't have that press on your back every single day. I don't hear Johnson, Markov, Bonk and every other anglo (except the Captain and sometimes Kovalev) being questioned day in day out like all our francos are.

Anyway, I've said it all along for every reason you can find and that you named already, we won't have any UFA except if we overpay them big time (see Samsonov) or the ones, probably at the end of their career, who still always dream playing for the Habs, and those people, there's less and less of them 'cause there's less and less something to be proud of by playing here.

So all that talk about how we're going to reload with the UFA period is bull. Draft and trades are the only way.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Kafka

Regina Sevostianova is a thruth human being, Matthias Brunet called her journal in russia to make all verifications: this radio interview really happened.

Therefore guys, you will have to stop to do your wishfull thinking and face the facts: your idol isn't a team player and sadly made sure he will leave Montreal Canadiens with financial troubles and not so much for Kovalev services. I hope Colombus will agree to take him because he won't start the 07-08 season in Montreal.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
AlexeiKovalev27

ok so the journalist on LCN, dany just met him and he still denies the interview. Saying that it was built from words whispered here and there....and made up as a big scandal. He admits he never played for an organization as classy than the habs and blablabla....

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:08 AM
AlexeiKovalev27

Quote:
I predict to see Michel villeneuve cry from 4 pm to 11h30 about russians and how much kovalev is stupid, also will do michel bergeron...clowns...

Old
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Regina Sevostianova is a thruth human being, Matthias Brunet called her journal in russia to make all verifications: this radio interview really happened.
And later she called and said the tape could not be sent and was very different from the transcript.

Does it seem fishy? Sure, but then the whole thing does. Brunet speculates there was pressure. Quite possible -- but it's speculation.

Bottom line: there's more investigation to be done. Someone somewhere will have the interview recorded, I'm sure.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Therefore guys, you will have to stop to do your wishfull thinking and face the facts: your idol isn't a team player...
I seriously doubt they signed Kovy for his team spirit lol

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Slick Nick

Kovy denies, the russian journalist denies.. hehehe. Russia is a special country.

Source: SRC, noon news.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Kovy denies, the russian journalist denies.. hehehe. Russia is a special country.

Source: SRC, noon news.
Kovalev probably paid off some FSB agents to drop by her office lol.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
hehehe.. nah probably just told her this interview was for Radio-Mayak, not for Football-Hockey.. you ****ed up my image, better say it's not the real thing. And Radio-Mayak strangely lost the tape..

Russia's so corrupted.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
The fact that he doesn't like the system or that Latendresse and Lapierre act like stars isn't really important. But when a player says his coach his not fair, and that fairness or lack of fairness is based on origins, I think it's a big deal. If the interview is real, Kovalev accuses Carbonneau of favoritism towards players from Québec. A coach is supposed to be fair with his players and try to win, not play favorites. If Kovalev really thinks that, he should talk about it in private with Gainey and Carbonneau, not with the media.
Kovalev did say that it may not be the fact that they're Russians, but that the coach doesn't like their style of play, which I think is the case.

I don't think Carbo is a racist, but he doesn't certain types of players (which happen to be most of our Russians) and he has given the hometown boys favourable treatment. That's enough to divide the troops.

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
AlexeiKovalev27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
she'll dissapear shortly like 20ish russian journalists

Old
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
The interview is not a hoax. Football-Hockey is a very credible mag, the journalist is also very credible.

What I don't understand is all the fuss about it. What did he say about francos?? basically nothing exept that they hang out together.

What did he say about the system? basically nothing exept that he doesn't like it because he's an offensive player.

He said that he thought the coach didn't like russians... PJ Stock said pretty much the same on 110%, that Carbo lost the Russian players because he was unfair to them. I've been claiming this for months (not only about russians) but that Carbo isin't a fair coach, a lot of people on these boards said the same.

He said that the coaches status of being former Habs players has very little weight in the eyes of the players. How many times have I read here that Carbo is a superstar coach without any experience..

He said the locker room is divided, didn't we know that before the interview?

Now the big media machine will go all over the story... expect Marc Bureau to shine, meh.

Malakhov style bullsheet...
Well said!

Old
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
roy munson

HOCKEY!!!! For ****'s sakes!!

Is it possible in Montreal, just for one season of hockey, to only have HOCKEY to talk about?!?

Geez... It seems everytime we seem to have a strong start, something else happens... D problems, O problems, whinning players, so/so coaching, injuries, media "scandals" bs, ...

And make no mistake about it, the media DO rule in Montreal. If one day a reporter decides that player X is a problem for whatever reason, he definitly has the tools to work on that project...

Just sad... I'm a real hockey/Habs fan and it seems I'm often stuck in the middle of a Mirror/LadyDi scandal...

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
In french we says : "Tempête dans un verre d'eau"

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexeiKovalev27 View Post
she'll dissapear shortly like 20ish russian journalists
Polonium in her coffee... Russian secret services and president Putin personnally involved.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles3030 View Post
Kovalev did say that it may not be the fact that they're Russians, but that the coach doesn't like their style of play, which I think is the case.

I don't think Carbo is a racist, but he doesn't certain types of players (which happen to be most of our Russians) and he has given the hometown boys favourable treatment. That's enough to divide the troops.
Exactly. I think it's ridiculous to say that Carbonneau hates Russians; there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that the man is a racist.

I do think that some of our Russian players have been treated extremely unfairly (namely Perezhogin and Kostitsyn), but I don't think Carbo likes the way our Russian forwards play. I completely disagree with him on that and truly believe that they could shine in a different system, but I have no doubt that Carbo's decisions are made from a hockey standpoint, not an ethnic one.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:

Therefore guys, you will have to stop to do your wishfull thinking and face the facts: your idol isn't a team player and sadly made sure he will leave Montreal Canadiens with financial troubles and not so much for Kovalev services. I hope Colombus will agree to take him because he won't start the 07-08 season in Montreal.
He isn't a team player because he's saying the truth? How 'bout your idolized coach not being fair? Stop attacking Kovalev to ignore and create a diversion from what was said.

Old
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Ginoro

Quote:
Michel Villeneuve, Michel Bergeron, François Gagnon and Marc De Foy... I'm surprised as well that Marc Bureau isn't there lol

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote