HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts from the Other Side

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2003, 08:40 AM
  #1
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Thoughts from the Other Side

I don't know if this has been covered but I'll ask anyways.

There is a story on TSN stating that Comrie called Murray and asked for a couple days grace before killing the deal so that he can negotiate with Lowe.

Even if a negotiation results in Lowe saying he will take say 1 mil from Comrie so he can get out of town what does the NHLPA do?

It appears that they can't slap Lowes hand because no rules appear to have been broken but they could forbid Comrie from paying up couldn't they?

I have to think that the absolute last precedent they want to see set is a player paying out of pocket to facilitate a trade. Do they kill the deal for Comrie?

copperandblue is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:53 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I don't know if this has been covered but I'll ask anyways.

There is a story on TSN stating that Comrie called Murray and asked for a couple days grace before killing the deal so that he can negotiate with Lowe.

Even if a negotiation results in Lowe saying he will take say 1 mil from Comrie so he can get out of town what does the NHLPA do?

It appears that they can't slap Lowes hand because no rules appear to have been broken but they could forbid Comrie from paying up couldn't they?

I have to think that the absolute last precedent they want to see set is a player paying out of pocket to facilitate a trade. Do they kill the deal for Comrie?
The NHLPA can't forbid Comrie from doing anything like that. They are a union, not an employer.

The NHLPA can strongly suggest that Comrie not do it, or talk him out of it... but going out-right and forbidding it? I don' think they have the power.

They may take it to court much like the Van Ryn incident, but just like in the Van Ryn incident, there is nothing saying "you can't".

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
  #3
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The NHLPA can't forbid Comrie from doing anything like that. They are a union, not an employer.
I didn't mean it in a legal sense.

If the NHLPA "recommends" to a player that they should or shouldn't do something won't that play take that "recommendation" under serious advisement?

I guess what I was getting at is if this deal ever went through it would set a very damaging precedent for the players union. I can't imagine the NHLPA allowing it to happen and I can't imagine Comrie going against the same union that found the 8 million dollar loop hole he took advantage of.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:10 AM
  #4
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I didn't mean it in a legal sense.

If the NHLPA "recommends" to a player that they should or shouldn't do something won't that play take that "recommendation" under serious advisement?

I guess what I was getting at is if this deal ever went through it would set a very damaging precedent for the players union. I can't imagine the NHLPA allowing it to happen and I can't imagine Comrie going against the same union that found the 8 million dollar loop hole he took advantage of.
In all honesty though, they can't punish him in any way what so ever, so there is no threat.

In reality the union is all about what is best for players, and if Comrie thinks this is best for him, the union shouldn't have a complaint. They should be more worried about the guy making $150 k per year who won't have any income for a while next year, before they worry about a guy who is already set for life.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:28 AM
  #5
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
But really, this was all supposed to be kept secret, so there'd be no real precedent, since it wouldn't be made known that Comrie coughed up the dough. Everybody wins... But then Winter (allegedly, but believably) leaks the news and the stuff hits the fan. <sigh>

So the NHLPA could have feigned ignorance on the issue, but now that it's public, the spotlight's turned on them a bit, too...

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:46 AM
  #6
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
But really, this was all supposed to be kept secret, so there'd be no real precedent, since it wouldn't be made known that Comrie coughed up the dough. Everybody wins... But then Winter (allegedly, but believably) leaks the news and the stuff hits the fan. <sigh>

So the NHLPA could have feigned ignorance on the issue, but now that it's public, the spotlight's turned on them a bit, too...

Bart
Winter leaked it? Hmm...That's weird. I thought he was good at keeping things confidential and honoring confidentiality agreements?

You're crazy Barto.

Yanner39 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.