HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 NHL Entry Draft - Selections, Prospects, and Rankings

Old
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
The Rangers should have Valley be the backup for Lundqvist. Are there any ufa college or junior goalies available now or later in the summer? Maybe the Rangers will sign one or 2, then deal Montoya and maybe draft a goalie in the draft hopefully not in the first round.
I don't see us taking a goalie in the first round. Actually I don't think any goalies are even rated as 1st rounders this year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
he's saying something more along the lines of, if we trade Montoya we have no depth.. that is true.. overall we have solid goalie situation, but if we give up Montoya we have a bad situation + no depth.. heck we don't even have a backup goalie right now.

i say we don't trade him until we have a safety net in place or next year.
Yeah...what he said

Seriously, thanks for watching my flank.....dank Had a long drive ahead of me this afternoon, and did not have time to order my thoughts or post properly. You summed it up nicely.

i think back to our situation a few years ago with blackburn, what happened to him, how freaky that was, and how one day he was just...gone. Never want to see us get caught short like that again.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Draft Guru

I don't know if Montoya gets us the 3rd overall pick straight up. I think something like Montoya + a 2nd for Leneveu + 3rd overall is more of a possibility. I would love for this team to move up as the one thing we severely lack is a bonafide top line forward prospect. I'm not a fan of moving Montoya, but he's probably our most valuable chip at the moment that we can afford to move. You have to give up something to get something. Phoenix could use a young stud, and it's no secret how much Maloney loves Montoya.

I love JVR, and I think he would be the guy the Rangers would take at 3 assuming he's there. I have Kane, JVR and Turris as my top 3. I'm not too high on Voracek. He'll probably go in the top 6 but I would pass on him depending on who's left. I also really like Gagner and see him going 7th or 8th. I would not oppose us moving up from 17 into the top 10 to grab Gagner if he's on the board.

There's a chance Esposito may still be there at 17 and if he is I would definitely take the gamble. His stock has dropped a lot this year (he was the #1 pick coming before the season) and there's whispers that he may be a candidate for a Schremp-like free-fall.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

after doing a bit of research, reading up on these players, and watch what little video i could find out there. id have to agree w/ draft guru in that i would definitely trade up to grab JVR, hes the kind of player the rangers have been consistently drafting these past few years. and the fact that hes already a huge Ranger fan will only feed that thought process. honestly, i think id take him with the #1 pick if the rangers had the #1.

as far as 17, Espo would be my target as well.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 06:55 AM
True Blue

Trading Montoya for a pick seems silly to me. Trading one of our only elite-level prospects for someone that you hope can become such, seems short-sighted. If Montoya is to be traded, and there should be no hurry to do that, IMO, it should be in the package for an already established young stud.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
eco's bones

I agree with TB wholeheartedly on moving up in the first round this year using Montoya as trade bait. Not a smart move.

A little off topic maybe--it concerns next years draft but apparently Los Angeles was unable to reach an agreement with Jan Marek and now we owe them a 2008 3rd rounder.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Good to see Redline tout one of my draft faves, Tanguay. I've liked him from go.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Good to see Redline tout one of my draft faves, Tanguay. I've liked him from go.
is he related to the former Av now Flame??? if so, I suspect Sather to grab him, he seems to love bloodlines the past few years, Staal, Sauer, Pyatt

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:27 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
is he related to the former Av now Flame??? if so, I suspect Sather to grab him, he seems to love bloodlines the past few years, Staal, Sauer, Pyatt
He's his younger brother. I'm interested in him as well and I wouldn't mind snagging him in the 2nd round.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:34 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
He's his younger brother. I'm interested in him as well and I wouldn't mind snagging him in the 2nd round.
I can see Sather taking him for sure and hes a centre.

Old
06-02-2007, 03:33 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Hossa, Federov can be added unfortunately.

I'd rather wait with Montoya. I'll echo some others and say that it is much more prudent to move him in a package for an established forwards. Why gamble for an unproven asset with a guy that is proven in the AHL. I know the A isn't the NHL but we have already rolled the dice with our Montoya pick, I'd rather not roll the dice again.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 06:09 PM
eco's bones

Back at the Blueshirt Bulletin site--we see that for now the Rangers have retained rights to Eric Hunter. He has an offer he can accept or not and a new deadline to do it in--something to do with him being an overage.

Old
06-02-2007, 08:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Back at the Blueshirt Bulletin site--we see that for now the Rangers have retained rights to Eric Hunter. He has an offer he can accept or not and a new deadline to do it in--something to do with him being an overage.
he will be most likely be in the AHL I would think.

Old
06-02-2007, 10:46 PM
NYR469

Quote:
he will be most likely be in the AHL I would think.
more likely charlotte

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
more likely charlotte
Agreed. I'm actually pretty surprised the Rangers even offered him a contract and even MORE surprised that Hunter is considering whether he could get more somewhere else.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 05:44 AM
eco's bones

Don't know how it true or how his game will eventually project--but I've heard he plays an antagonizing Averyish type of game--and that may be why they made an offer. Hunter I think held out for more with Chicago who originally drafted him--and that's why he went back in the draft. If he doesn't sign with us I don't know what his options will be--I don't think there are going to be too many others busting down his door though. He might be better off taking what he can get for now--and yes he might be Charlotte bound.

Old
06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Cretin-Derham Hall's 6-foot-2, 200-pound Ryan McDonagh, who will be a first-round NHL draft pick in three weeks, interviewed with 20 NHL teams at the scouting combine in Toronto the past few days and will interview with the Wild on Wednesday in St. Paul.
http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci...nclick_check=1

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
gaels22

would jvr be the first nhl player to play new jersey high school hockey besides jimmy dowd?

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 12:07 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I don't know if Montoya gets us the 3rd overall pick straight up. I think something like Montoya + a 2nd for Leneveu + 3rd overall is more of a possibility. I would love for this team to move up as the one thing we severely lack is a bonafide top line forward prospect. I'm not a fan of moving Montoya, but he's probably our most valuable chip at the moment that we can afford to move. You have to give up something to get something. Phoenix could use a young stud, and it's no secret how much Maloney loves Montoya.

I love JVR, and I think he would be the guy the Rangers would take at 3 assuming he's there. I have Kane, JVR and Turris as my top 3. I'm not too high on Voracek. He'll probably go in the top 6 but I would pass on him depending on who's left. I also really like Gagner and see him going 7th or 8th. I would not oppose us moving up from 17 into the top 10 to grab Gagner if he's on the board.

There's a chance Esposito may still be there at 17 and if he is I would definitely take the gamble. His stock has dropped a lot this year (he was the #1 pick coming before the season) and there's whispers that he may be a candidate for a Schremp-like free-fall.
i was just looking through some things on JvR and i was JUST about to ask the same/similar Q..

maybe as a show of hands, how comfortable would you all be with moving Montoya (+ 2nd or even our 1st) for the #3 (maybe add Leneveu) (on draft day) if it were to be JvR left on the board?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Captain11

Quote:
i was just looking through some things on JvR and i was JUST about to ask the same/similar Q..

maybe as a show of hands, how comfortable would you all be with moving Montoya (+ 2nd or even our 1st) for the #3 (maybe add Leneveu) (on draft day) if it were to be JvR left on the board?
Not at all. JvR is a project, and we don't need another jessiman blowing up in our faces. Like many have said before, this isnt a very deep draft. I would hold monty and pray that Esposito falls far enough that we could make an offer for him. I know he has alot of doubters, but the kids got alot of skills. And im not mistaking him for Brendl the 2nd, this kid is going to be atleast 2nd line material.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 10:38 AM
dank

i say go for Espo! if not based on anything but his hair..

Old
06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Trading Montoya for a pick seems silly to me. Trading one of our only elite-level prospects for someone that you hope can become such, seems short-sighted. If Montoya is to be traded, and there should be no hurry to do that, IMO, it should be in the package for an already established young stud.
I'm suprised that I haven't seen this sentiment echo'ed more often on these boards. Last year I was a proponent for trading Montoya for the Pick that could possibly get Staal. However, there where a large number of posters who disagreed with me and cited the risk involved in an, at the time, unknown in Staal. Now, in a draft year with a "worse" top end, I seldom see this opinion expressed by anyone. Is this because Montoya's stock has dropped in our eyes or is it for other reasons?

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 12:02 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
I'm suprised that I haven't seen this sentiment echo'ed more often on these boards. Last year I was a proponent for trading Montoya for the Pick that could possibly get Staal. However, there where a large number of posters who disagreed with me and cited the risk involved in an, at the time, unknown in Staal. Now, in a draft year with a "worse" top end, I seldom see this opinion expressed by anyone. Is this because Montoya's stock has dropped in our eyes or is it for other reasons?
possibly just impatience and shortsightedness..

having said that, i will readily admit that i am one of those people that may be suffering from both.

Old
06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
dank

am i the only person who is not worried (or very excited) to possibly select another high quality d-man as the BPA in the draft and have a solid stable of guys to be able to trade/play in the future?

Old
06-09-2007, 09:37 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
am i the only person who is not worried (or very excited) to possibly select another high quality d-man as the BPA in the draft and have a solid stable of guys to be able to trade/play in the future?
You're not alone, I feel the same way. I really think we should go BPA at 17, and I think there's a good chance that player will be a Defenseman.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote