HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Does Fleury automatically get a spot?

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 09:07 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
OT - Does Fleury automatically get a spot?

With MA Fleury being released to junior, does he get an automatic spot on team Canada?

We all know he is a good goaltender, and we saw what he could do last year, but there are a couple of interesting things:

1). After his hot start in October, his numbers in November and December were significantly lower (GAA over 4, sv% under 885). Has he lost any confidence, and how quick can he pick it back up?

2). What bad habits has he picked up in Pittsburgh, and are they going to hurt him in the WJC?

3). Has he forgotten how to win? His job in Pittsburgh was to more or less keep the game close. If he did that, it was a job well done. With Canada, he has to win, and that isn't a mentality that you can easily switch on and off.

Just some points to ponder... we all know if one of the other 4 has a bad day, they are gone for sure, but how much leeway do you give Fleury? After all, this isn't a full season where you can get back into it, and change your focus. This is a short 5 or 6 game tournament.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Easilee 27

Did anyone else hear Josh Harding of the Regina Pats. I could of sworn he said that you have to make the team, and just hope the other guy gets hurt. I could have heard him wrong, but if he did say that, he is cut. There is no way Fleury doesn't get the starters job. That would be like not putting Bertuzzi on the World Cup team.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:34 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
With MA Fleury being released to junior, does he get an automatic spot on team Canada?

We all know he is a good goaltender, and we saw what he could do last year, but there are a couple of interesting things:

1). After his hot start in October, his numbers in November and December were significantly lower (GAA over 4, sv% under 885). Has he lost any confidence, and how quick can he pick it back up?

2). What bad habits has he picked up in Pittsburgh, and are they going to hurt him in the WJC?

3). Has he forgotten how to win? His job in Pittsburgh was to more or less keep the game close. If he did that, it was a job well done. With Canada, he has to win, and that isn't a mentality that you can easily switch on and off.

Just some points to ponder... we all know if one of the other 4 has a bad day, they are gone for sure, but how much leeway do you give Fleury? After all, this isn't a full season where you can get back into it, and change your focus. This is a short 5 or 6 game tournament.
From what I remember, Cape Breton wasn't a really strong team last season. Fleury seemed to do alright when making the transition from losing in the Q to winning at the WJC.

Another point: the NHL is a much faster game. Things will slow down for him and I suspect that with defensemen in front of him, he will strive.

Hopefully, we won't have to see what happens when he falters. Remember last WJC, he played when he had the flu because Leveneu was playing wretchedly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Team Canada; their camp is in Kitchener and they are playing games against the University All-Stars this weekend.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Doug Who?

Without implying that the goaltender selection process will be a farce and will be mainly for appearances, I think Fleury is as automatic a selection as there can be.

I don't put a lot of weight into his stats as a Penguin given the quality of their team and his own inexperience. I might be concerned about his attitude though. Given that he's essentially an NHL goalie now he may have more swagger to his step in a junior dressing room than some can tolerate.

From what I've seen of him he seems like a good kid but he's just that, a kid. He's immature which makes him more prone to attitude issues.

If he rubs some players the wrong way maybe they stop playing in front of him...if he thinks he's so good let's see him do it on his own...sort of thing.

Worst case scenario's can be a lot more interesting to discuss but personally I think he'll be fine and will backstop Canada to the gold medal this year.

Old
12-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Remeber last week when the Pens were in Edmonton? Fleury was amazing. He's the starter hands down guaranteed. The NHL is a major step up from CHL so I expect him to be awesome this tournament.

Closed Thread