HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Not an injury report, but this makes me almost more upset.

Old
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Not an injury report, but this makes me almost more upset.

Via Kuklas:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=290064

"Recently, the NHL put together an “all-star” team of television experts comprised of John Shannon, the NHL’s vice president of broadcasting, Jim Wilkes, an ex-Molstar TV executive and Al Mountford, famous in the broadcasting industry for his hockey camerawork and the man who shot the 1980 Lake Placid “Miracle On Ice.” The three men have compiled a DVD and have met with every team in the league in an effort to help the regional broadcasters produce a better televised hockey game."

So... let me see if I have this right. The NHL has been a positively moribund TV sport for, oh, EVER... and they finally decide to do something like this now, in 2007, after losing their ESPN slots and being unable to land anything of note on free TV?

Help me out... this is something anyone with half a Odgay Amnday brain does after the first year of poor numbers, no? More fool me, for thinking that this kind of thing would OBVIOUSLY have already been done.

It's things likes this which make me believe, truly and honestly, that the people who run the NHL are the most short-sighted and empty-headed people to run a sport since whoever ran the gladiator pits in Rome.

I love hockey. I do. Hearing stuff like this actually gives me a headache, though. An actual headache.

Un-fricking-believable.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:48 PM
TomHBlain

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Via Kuklas:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=290064

"Recently, the NHL put together an “all-star” team of television experts comprised of John Shannon, the NHL’s vice president of broadcasting, Jim Wilkes, an ex-Molstar TV executive and Al Mountford, famous in the broadcasting industry for his hockey camerawork and the man who shot the 1980 Lake Placid “Miracle On Ice.” The three men have compiled a DVD and have met with every team in the league in an effort to help the regional broadcasters produce a better televised hockey game."

So... let me see if I have this right. The NHL has been a positively moribund TV sport for, oh, EVER... and they finally decide to do something like this now, in 2007, after losing their ESPN slots and being unable to land anything of note on free TV?

Help me out... this is something anyone with half a Odgay Amnday brain does after the first year of poor numbers, no? More fool me, for thinking that this kind of thing would OBVIOUSLY have already been done.

It's things likes this which make me believe, truly and honestly, that the people who run the NHL are the most short-sighted and empty-headed people to run a sport since whoever ran the gladiator pits in Rome.

I love hockey. I do. Hearing stuff like this actually gives me a headache, though. An actual headache.

Un-fricking-believable.
Ironically, I think your namesake is the best way to save the game of hockey, television-wise. Of all the sports, I think hockey has the most go gain by going to an HD/WideScreen format. Its not like the technology isn't available, being used, etc... its just not really promoted all that much!! I think the worst part is that hockey has a 2nd hand cable station running the bulk of their games and that station doesn't have the power to make such things happen or promote them properly.

Honestly after the CBA thing go settled the first thing I wanted to see the NHL do was take a bargain basement contract with ESPN just to get the exposure train moving again. By taking a little more to be on a step up from PBS (which, BTW does offer enjoyable programming...) they are keeping their game in the cellar both commercially and technologically.

TomHBlain is offline   Reply With Quote