HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lost in the Chaos - Dubinsky!

Old
03-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Firefly

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Lost in the Chaos - Dubinsky!

What did you all think of his first game? I didn't get to check on his ice time but I was happy to see him getting some quality minutes...and not looking totally lost as a result! Had a few good shots, looked strong with the puck down low. There were a few times when you could tell he was greener than green, but not very often. Pretty pleased with the kid!

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:11 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The kid reminds me of Brad Richards with the sick 2 way game and very impressive face-off skills.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:12 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Hopefully he can develop into a Lecavlier.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
The kid reminds me of Brad Richards with the sick 2 way game and very impressive face-off skills.
I forgot all about his faceoffs. Renney should have shown some balls and put him against Sillinger at the very end there.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Dubi's more physical than Richards.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
If Dubi turns into a player like Richards I would be very happy.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:15 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Dubi's more physical than Richards.
I didn't really compare the physicality and that's a even more plus for us. I was comparing the face-off aspect and 2-way game of the two.

Let me just add, the stride is very similar too.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:17 PM
BigE

He obviously needs more work, but he showed good hustle, won a couple key draws, and made solid, yet unspectacular contributions.

Being thrown into the fire of a heated playoff race and rivalry such as Rangers-Isles should be a tremendous boost for the kid. Hopefully he takes it back to Hartford and really starts to bear down offensively.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I was impressed with his skating ability.

Edit... oh, and his defensive responsibility

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i was absolutely irate that the kid took a pretty vicious elbow in the 2nd period to the face from (i believe) Hill and nothing was called.

his game was fine. hes got fairly good ability to get open and control the puck. i was pretty happy with that, but one thing i noticed for sure. he looks a LOT smaller in the NHL than in the AHL. in the AHL the kid looks like Zdeno Chara, here he looks like any old jabroni.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Fish

I was pleasantly surprised, mind you I was surprised they decided to call him up instead of Callahan or Dawes.

I thought for his first NHL game he did pretty well, Renney even gave him some power play time in the third with the game tied. He looks like a rookie in his own zone, but I did notice he took it conservatively a lot of the time and played higher than you might expect.

Looked to be a decent skater in terms of acceleration, lacks a little at the top end...good strength and a decent shot. We didn't see much of his passing, and he didn't do much working along the boards, but like his time in the AHL he doesn't mind going to the front of the net.

I think it'll be a while before we know we've got with Dubinsky, he's still a fairly raw player and he's not exactly the most modest of players which may rub some of his team mates the wrong way eventually...but perhaps age will help him calm down there.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i was absolutely irate that the kid took a pretty vicious elbow in the 2nd period to the face from (i believe) Hill and nothing was called.

his game was fine. hes got fairly good ability to get open and control the puck. i was pretty happy with that, but one thing i noticed for sure. he looks a LOT smaller in the NHL than in the AHL. in the AHL the kid looks like Zdeno Chara, here he looks like any old jabroni.
If it was the one behind the Isles net, then Dubinsky kind of skated into Hill and appeared to kind of fall at the same time. I think Hill was just defending himself, with Dubinsky initiating the contact...

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:28 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
he's very stong with the puck and big, a little bit like Nash (of course not in the same class of talent), if he learns to shield the puck with his big legs and body he'll be a very good player

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Balej20*

Good game by Dubi...Obviously he needs more ice time if they expect him to produce any goals.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Pizza

Well it was one hell of a game to make your NHL debut in. He's got a long way to go but he's going to learn alot. 8:35 TOI meh, not bad for your first game as a Ranger.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:19 AM
DontStaal

i like. wawaweewa.

He's big, throws hits, has a powerful stride, i thought i saw him keeping up with Straka, so ye, i was impressed.

His faceoffs were awesome, i don't recall him losing any (well he probably only took like 4 but still).

I remember people said he needed to bulk up... he looked pretty big out there. There's only room for improvement.

He's a keeper

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:50 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
I remember people said he needed to bulk up... he looked pretty big out there. There's only room for improvement.
I still think he does. He has a very strong base and good form to be strong but I still think he needs to gain more strength to become a real effective NHL'er. I believe he will though as he is still very young and raw.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
If it was the one behind the Isles net, then Dubinsky kind of skated into Hill and appeared to kind of fall at the same time. I think Hill was just defending himself, with Dubinsky initiating the contact...
That's exactly what it was, IMO.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Barnaby

He looked solid. He can keep up for the most part. I didn't walk away feeling he would be a great player or trash... in other words... time will tell...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:23 AM
eco's bones

I only saw the first period. Size wise and skating wise he looked fine. He looks like he can keep up. I don't see him becoming the 2nd line center next year though. Maybe the 3rd.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Ola

I loved what I saw. He had no problem keeping up with the tempo.

One aspect is a big weakness for him, and thats for example gooing back behind his own net and to take the puck up ice on a controlled transition game. He struggled mightly with it in preseason, and his line last night had a set play were Dubi bolted out and Straka came back to skate it up ice. It takes allot longer and its vunerable if the D with the puck is attacked before Straka is back, though its no biggie, he got the skills but no experience since he probably never faced many set trapps in the WHL.

Though, I've seen Dubinsky about 25 games in HFD. Several times last night I saw Dubinsky beeing able to put himself in the same positions that he scores from in the AHL, now he didn't make that last move, opted to make safe passes instead, nothing wrong with that, but with more games under his belt I am sure Dubi would have created some great chances last night.

Last night was just a tease, but I think he handled every challenge well, along the boards, in the neutral zone and on the rush. He kept up, he created open ice for himself ect.

Now like everyone also saw, Dubi is really raw. He will comeup short on the backcheck, he will screw up in the transition play and stuff like that. Wheter we keep him up this season, or give him a short right from the start next season, or let him develop even more in the AHL, I defenitly belives really strong in this kid!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:37 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I think his skating stride makes him appear to be going slower than he actually is going. He's got a good quick 1st stride. He's a big boy. Only 20 he will pack on another 10-20 pounds of muscle. Same & Joe talked briefly about how he lost 20lbs of baby fat during the 1st couple of months of the season and that could very well explain the slow start.

The thing that has to jump out at people is that Schony is schooling these kids on playing a solid 2 way game. That is so important. He appears to be good on draws. He sees the ice well and plays the way I like to see centerman play in their own end. He covers the slot and clogs the middle where the quality scoring chances come from.

This kid is only going to get better. He's only 20! All of a sudden you are starting to hear that more and more of the kids are being deemed NHL ready, which is great news. With another wave of quality picks coming into to Hartford later this month and next year things are really starting to look bright. It will be interesting to see if we still have no faith in our scouting staff and still want to fire them.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:38 AM
alkurtz

I was impressed for the same reasons I was impressed with him in training camp and when I saw him play for Hartford earlier this year: when he's on the ice things happen, he's competitive and involved, he has a nose for the puck and the action, he's a strong, powerful skater. He did a super job last night and to get any 3rd period ice time he must have impressed Renney also. Ranger rooks are usual buried in period 3. I don't think he will ever be the offensive force that Brad Richards is (Richards was always an offensive force: his last year stats in junior are sick and he jumped immediately to the Bolts), but Dubinsky could be a superb #2 center, contributing offensively and defensively. Having a dynamic and talented #2 center is what seperates good teams from elite teams. Hope he gets a real shot to make the team next year in the role and eventually can be a mainstay of our team.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't remember him losing one faceoff. That's the kind of guy you need around in the playoffs... Someone who can win you those key faceoffs.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:26 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Hopefully he can develop into a Lecavlier.
I was thinking more along the likes of Super Mario.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote