HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

scalpers at game time?

Old
03-06-2007, 11:57 AM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
well theres rough and then theres ugly, and i know edmonton is not that bad crime wise but some parts are downright hideous

but ive been to seattle,calgary,vancouver,san jose, san francisco, oakland, vegas, (most of the main cities on far west coast) and yes edmonton is nice enough for me

just stating that lots of people in big cities think edmonton is a hole
not my personal opinion though
Not bad crime wise? Nina Courtepate? Or the other numerous innocent young people killed in our city over the past few years?

Our murder rate is VERY high compared to other cities per capita. Drug busts, break and enters, gang violence, stabbings and shootings in bars flood the paper everyday. I would say that Edmonton has a crime problem.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=299761

Ticket Exchange thread is also a great way to get tickets

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Agent Zero

vCash: 500
WEDNESDAY MARCH 7, 2007 8:00PM
OILERS VS LIGHTNING

looking to sell two tickets at a face value of $37.00 each.

Sec 303 row 46 seat 5
sec 303 row 46 seat 6

send me a pm if your interested

thanks!

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 94 View Post
You're right, some places are ugly. But not really dangerous.
Just bring a friend when walking around or taking the LRT, you'll be fine.
Avoid groups of Native males in the Northeast, and the roadkill bars at all costs, though.
Hate to respond to my own post, but visitors to Edmonton should stick to taxis and avoid public transit altogether. This sort of thing is becoming quite widespread throughout the city:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...25711-sun.html

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:36 PM
OilerLord

Quote:
Hate to respond to my own post, but visitors to Edmonton should stick to taxis and avoid public transit altogether. This sort of thing is becoming quite widespread throughout the city:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...25711-sun.html
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I must say that I diasgree with most people's perception of how 'dangerous' ETS has become.

In the Edmonton Sun article that you referenced, it's important to read the last line. It states,"About 200 assaults were reported on the transit system last year, when ETS gave about 60 million rides."

Now I am not naive enough to believe there were only 200 assaults total. You have to take into account the unreported assaults as well. Let's multiply the reported number by a factor of 10 to give us 2000. (A number which I feel is a lot higher than the actual number.)

This would mean that one assault occurs in every 30,000 rides!

In the interest of being as unbiased as possible, I feel it is neccesary to disclose the fact that I do work as an operator for ETS. However, I still feel that ETS is a very safe method of travel; as long as you use some common sense.

Regards,
Oilerlord

OilerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:50 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Have you been to other cities in North America? Edmonton's "horrible" areas are down right pleasant compared to the rough sections in other major cities.
Although aesthetically a number of areas of Edmonton are "rough", I have to agree with this.

Hell, I live right on 118th Ave. And when I lived on campus, I regularly walked home from a friend's house in the Stadium area due to the LRT stopping. That's a route that takes you down 111th and then through the downtown core via 109th after midnight on a weekend.

Never been mugged, beaten, or as you can all deduce, murdered. I've never even been offered drugs or seen so much as a discarded needle.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerLord View Post
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I must say that I diasgree with most people's perception of how 'dangerous' ETS has become.

In the Edmonton Sun article that you referenced, it's important to read the last line. It states,"About 200 assaults were reported on the transit system last year, when ETS gave about 60 million rides."

Now I am not naive enough to believe there were only 200 assaults total. You have to take into account the unreported assaults as well. Let's multiply the reported number by a factor of 10 to give us 2000. (A number which I feel is a lot higher than the actual number.)

This would mean that one assault occurs in every 30,000 rides!

In the interest of being as unbiased as possible, I feel it is neccesary to disclose the fact that I do work as an operator for ETS. However, I still feel that ETS is a very safe method of travel; as long as you use some common sense.

Regards,
Oilerlord
I believe it really is very dangerous for a lone male or female to be using the ETS on off-peak hours in the northeast area of town. I have several friends who have been robbed and beaten by groups of roving natives on the LRT between Belvedere and Clareview.
If you're travelling in a group, travelling during busy hours, or travelling downtown, you're a heck of a lot safer - no question. But passengers need to be careful.

Old
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
OYLer

Hope, faith, charity, & some forgiveness to be administered with hard righteousness !

Quote:
I believe it really is very dangerous for a lone male or female to be using the ETS on off-peak hours in the northeast area of town. I have several friends who have been robbed and beaten by groups of roving natives on the LRT between Belvedere and Clareview.
If you're travelling in a group, travelling during busy hours, or travelling downtown, you're a heck of a lot safer - no question. But passengers need to be careful.
Try losing your way in East LA, Southside of Chicago, Gastown towards East Hastings, the Bronx, Washington, DC - the inner city, anywhere non-affluent, if you can focus through the smog in Mexico city. Crime grows as cities grow but ghettos still aren't a festering reality in Edmonton.

Maybe the time is right for an Emonton chapter of the Guardian Angels to ride free on public transit to help put the run on those cowardly punks. Gangs are always tough if they can intimidate with numbers. Taking back the streets means putting the smackdown on pukes who find their collective courage in doing drugs an alcohol and looking for defenseless victims.

In that senseless 14 year old girl's **** & murder trial, they're all guilty as sin. Lock'em all up for life, without payroll, and throw-away the key, can we say test subjects for Aids research. If your big enough to do an adult crime, you've past age 12, then you're old enough to do the time. If you get a minimum of Twenty to Life (good behavior - etc.) you can come down from the iron cross at age 33 (if you were say 13) and attempt redemption. Older perpetrators of violent crimes are to be treated even more harshly, independent of socio-economic status.

Last edited by OYLer: 03-11-2007 at 11:40 AM.
OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

You're right, there are no ghettos in Edmonton. Just cowardly groups of roving punks. And they need to be punished much more severely for violent crime.