today's optional practice shows real character in a couple of our players

Old
03-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Silva

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Silva
today's optional practice shows real character in a couple of our players

from Bish's blog

"As you might expect, the optional practice following three games in four nights was not well attended. Donning gear and hitting the ice were Jeremy Reich, Chuck Kobasew, Joey MacDonald, Bobby Allen, Patrice Bergeron, Jason York, Brandon Bochenski and Phil Kessel."

Kobasew is no surprise as he didn't play in those 3 games and he is trying to come back. MacDonald really isn't a surprise because he only played 1. York and Allen aren't really surprises because they are battling for the #6 D spot.

How about Reich, Bergeron, Bochenski, and Kessel though? Out of all the other players, these are the 4 guys that showed up. I think it shows a LOT about these guys' character.

EVERYTHING I read about Kessel's "attitude problems" have been completely wrong. Completely. He wants to win and he wants to be the best he can, even if that means going to an optional practice after 3 games in 4 days.

Mr Goalchenski was wrongly accused of being a floater when he came here and a guy that could ONLY score. He got compared to Muzz a lot which is really unfair. He CAN score, but as we have seen he can backcheck, forecheck, set up plays, and he brings the effort. Why was Bochenski at the optional practice and not Chistov, Tenkrat, Sturm, Axelsson, and Donovan?

And Patrice Bergeron. One of the stars of our team. He is struggling. He knows it. He is likely battling an injury or coming off an injury. But it's not like he is doing nothing about it. I can't complain about his lack of production (I know he had 2 assists last game but it's still not the same Bergy) when I see that he is doing everything in his power to improve.

I say congrats to these players who showed up to the optional practice. Here's to goals from Kessel, Bochenski, and Bergeron tomorrow a beat down by Reich a strong performance from Allen a quick recovery by Kobasew and um....motivational speaking from MacDonald on the bench? And from York in pregame skate?

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
bleedsblackandgold47
Gotta big dome, eh?

Gotta love it. I especially like seeing Reich there, he has a pretty diminished role on the team but it's important. We need more players like him.

bleedsblackandgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Slick

Love to hear that. Surprised Chara wasn't there. I guess it's understandable considering the insane amount of ice minutes the guy plays, especially after this stretch, but it just seems in his character to be at every skate possible.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Neely08

I agree, good post.

Bergeron, by watching him I'd think he'd need rest more than anything. Or maybe his injuries are better, and he's just trying to get timing and that extra step he seems to be missing back.

Anytime I start to worry about Bergeron, I watch this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_AP_a9F1o

I think you're right about Kessel too, he can smell it and knows good things are right around the corner. Same for Goalchenski.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I agree, good post.

Bergeron, by watching him I'd think he'd need rest more than anything. Or maybe his injuries are better, and he's just trying to get timing and that extra step he seems to be missing back.

I think you're right about Kessel too, he can smell it and knows good things are right around the corner. Same for Goalchenski.
Bergeron has definately been hampered by something this year, but he had a fantastic game the other night. Even when the guy isnt scoring he brings value by heading up a PK that has been crucial in the last two wins.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Silva

Quote:
I agree, good post.

That's exactly what I am thinking. If his injury was still nagging him I would think for sure that he would rest on an optional day, even regular practices maybe. The fact that he shows up for the optional practice suggests to me that he is now healthy and trying to get his game back.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Wow, these are the things I love to see in a team. It definetly shows a lot and it brings a good feeling to the atmosphere in the locker, giving the rest of the players confidence that they can indeed win games and get into the playoffs.

These are very valuable aspects to a team player who wants to show dedication and passion and Reich, BoSki, Bergy and Kess really want to show the team that they have a chance.

On a side note- Reich and Laperriere tommorrow night? Let's hope that optional skate brought out a little more something in him.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamD1337 View Post
Wow, these are the things I love to see in a team. It definetly shows a lot and it brings a good feeling to the atmosphere in the locker, giving the rest of the players confidence that they can indeed win games and get into the playoffs.

These are very valuable aspects to a team player who wants to show dedication and passion and Reich, BoSki, Bergy and Kess really want to show the team that they have a chance.

On a side note- Reich and Laperriere tommorrow night? Let's hope that optional skate brought out a little more something in him.
Reich suprises me everytime he's on the ice, with a pass, beating someone one on one, getting shots.

And, you know he's still thinking about that hit by Souray, and going to drill someone.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
en12384

Quote:
I agree, good post.

nice find on that video!

en12384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by en12384 View Post
nice find on that video!
Wasn't me, someone posted this before.

Yeah, it's good stuff.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
mattyports

Send a message via AIM to mattyports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
EVERYTHING I read about Kessel's "attitude problems" have been completely wrong. Completely. He wants to win and he wants to be the best he can, even if that means going to an optional practice after 3 games in 4 days.
Attitude problems? Please. Everything I've seen from Phil makes me laugh when I think about the ESPN mag article, and other reports that came out around the time of the '06 Draft.

He's a nice kid (weird saying that since I'm 23 myself, but he is "a kid"), a little shy in interviews, but he's always self-effacing and gives credit to his teammates 11 times out of 10.

At the end of warmups, he's without fail a) one of the last two off the ice and b) always gives a puck to one of the kids sitting rinkside.

On that note, I should mention that Savard is big into flipping pucks into the crowd towards the end of the B's warmup as well. I applaud their efforts -- it's these little things that make a kid a lifelong Bruins fan.

Last edited by mattyports: 03-05-2007 at 10:37 PM.
mattyports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

A few guys did go to the rink, but they didn't skate...

A number of other players, including the likes of team captain Zdeno Chara, Glen Murray, P.J. Axelsson, Andrew Alberts and others, reported to the rink but did not skate.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...t_workout.html

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
A few guys did go to the rink, but they didn't skate...

A number of other players, including the likes of team captain Zdeno Chara, Glen Murray, P.J. Axelsson, Andrew Alberts and others, reported to the rink but did not skate.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...t_workout.html
Damn if Murray skated... maybe Axelson showed up just to hide his Muzz's skates.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyports View Post
Plus, he's usually the last one off the ice for pregame warmups, too.

Attitude problems? Please. He's a nice kid (weird saying that since I'm 23 myself), a little shy in interviews but he's always self-effacing and gives credit to his teammates 11 times out of 10. At the end of warmups, he's without fail a) one of the last two off the ice and b) always gives a puck to one of the kids sitting rinkside.

On that note, I should mention that Savard is big into shoveling pucks into the crowd towards the end of the B's warmup as well. Great guys, both of them.
Last game I went to, he was like you said last guy off the ice and tried to throw a puck over the ice for a kid. It didn't go over so he tried again. Still didn't go over so he skated over to that hole in the glass and popped it through there

The kid is 19 years old in his first NHL season. Sometimes I get the feeling someone (family? agent? advisor?) MAY tell him to talk about team first (I mean he even mentioned team first when he played down in Providence for that conditioning stint) but I'm sure no one tells him to take full advantage of warm ups and give pucks to the kiddies.

Kudos to the Thrill

Old
03-05-2007, 10:40 PM
massilem

vCash:
I was sort of under the impression that some of them had to be there, but I could (of course) be wrong. I was pleasantly surprised to see Bergey and Phil there and agree that it showed a lot of character with them being there. I knew all the rest were coming, but maybe they had already committed the night before and it wasn't a "you must be there thing."

I think there was a charity event that several of them were skating in that afternoon, which could explain why some guys were hanging around but not necessarily on the ice

Also saw Wideman, don't think he skated but I speculate that he could have been working out with the trainer (either that or his hotel shower is broken :-p)

Old
03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Attitude problems? Please. Everything I've seen from Phil makes me laugh when I think about the ESPN mag article, and other reports that came out around the time of the '06 Draft.

He's a nice kid (weird saying that since I'm 23 myself, but he is "a kid"), a little shy in interviews, but he's always self-effacing and gives credit to his teammates 11 times out of 10.

At the end of warmups, he's without fail a) one of the last two off the ice and b) always gives a puck to one of the kids sitting rinkside.

On that note, I should mention that Savard is big into flipping pucks into the crowd towards the end of the B's warmup as well. I applaud their efforts -- it's these little things that make a kid a lifelong Bruins fan.

Contrary to what the board "insiders" have to say.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
stungun

practice was optional but i bet most of the other guys did their own off ice workouts or rehab or just rested. not like they all got together and went drinking and skiing at blue hills....

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Fair Warning

Quote:
I agree, good post.

Awesome video about Patrice Bergeron. One of the best fan-made videos I've seen.

...The end of it made me a bit nostalgic.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan09 View Post
Awesome video about Patrice Bergeron. One of the best fan-made videos I've seen.

...The end of it made me a bit nostalgic.
Awesome avatar btw. One of my favorites on here.

Thing I remember about Bergeron before the weight of the franchise was thrown on his shoulders. He wasn't phased in the playoffs one bit at 18, in fact he seemed to thrive. He knew when to rip it, and from where, or jump up and make a big play.

Can't wait to see Bergeron in the playoffs again.

Old
03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
neelynugs

Quote:

that's good news for the fans of this board, especially. they were told kessel will be a problem at some point, for sure (i think the exact words were "trust me, he will be a problem"). not certain if that response was typed in blood, but i can check then again, we heard the same about savard, and it appears to be 0 for 2 with 2 K's.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:27 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but you watch that video and you just know that in a couple of years (if not already) Bergeron will be far more beloved by B's fans than Thornton ever was.

There's a passion in his game that you just don't see from Joe. Him showing up at the optional skate today, and practicing, just makes that even more clear.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
PZelfond

good to hear the news

PZelfond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:07 AM
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
The kid is 19 years old in his first NHL season. Sometimes I get the feeling someone (family? agent? advisor?) MAY tell him to talk about team first (I mean he even mentioned team first when he played down in Providence for that conditioning stint) but I'm sure no one tells him to take full advantage of warm ups and give pucks to the kiddies.

Kudos to the Thrill
I can't help but feel that Kessel is going to develop into something special... live up to the whole "American Sidney Crosby" hype. Between his play, his character, and his attitude and effort... some 25-odd years from now, when they're hoisting #81 up to the rafters in the Garden (or whatever its called by then)... maybe I drank a little too much tonight.

primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:10 AM
octopi

Quote:
Same for Goalchenski.
Wait, you guys actually have a player in the system with the word "Goal" in his name? Awesome.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:01 AM
misterjaggers

It's good to see most of the regulars taking a rest. They must pretty beat up by this point in the season.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote