HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Souray rumors...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
  #26
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 35,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I am honestly not optimistic Johnson is gonna come out of school.

DL stated he wants to give a few young guys a shot, ie. Harrold as stated on Kings talk.

Blake, Visnovsky are the for sures.

Add Harrold and Petiot.

Kings sign Stuart or Souray and re-sign Miller. Dalhman is #7. That's my prediction.
Remember where a lot of people penciled Kopitar to be before the season started? Johnson will earn a spot on the roster. He's too good not to and there is a spot on the roster for him to step into.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
  #27
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What?!? You don't think Blake's play has been offensive this season?



My bad dawg. You are correct, he is very offensive when on the ice.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
  #28
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Don't buy into Rutherford's excuses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I am honestly not optimistic Johnson is gonna come out of school.
Jack Johnson will NOT play 4 years of college hockey. I never understood the rush to get him into the league so fast. Sometimes, it shows more maturity for a young player to say, hey, I'm not quite ready, rather than get to the NHL asap and fail early and lose his confidence.

Johnson has played 2 years at Michigan, in the hopes of winning a National Title. Whether he'll win one or not, probably won't affect his decision to sign after the season is over. I think he knows it's time for him to take the next challenge in his career. Also needs to realize there's a great opportunity to play and learn from Rob Blake, who only has 1 more year left in him. Getting a degree is great, but the Michigan will always be there after his playing days are over, so whether he earns his degree in 2009 or 2025, really doesn't matter. There have been quite a few NHLers who have gone back to school and earned a degree and a Masters. 2 years at Michigan will have given him a great start when he returns after his career is over.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
  #29
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Jack Johnson will NOT play 4 years of college hockey. I never understood the rush to get him into the league so fast. Sometimes, it shows more maturity for a young player to say, hey, I'm not quite ready, rather than get to the NHL asap and fail early and lose his confidence.

Johnson has played 2 years at Michigan, in the hopes of winning a National Title. Whether he'll win one or not, probably won't affect his decision to sign after the season is over. I think he knows it's time for him to take the next challenge in his career. Also needs to realize there's a great opportunity to play and learn from Rob Blake, who only has 1 more year left in him. Getting a degree is great, but the Michigan will always be there after his playing days are over, so whether he earns his degree in 2009 or 2025, really doesn't matter. There have been quite a few NHLers who have gone back to school and earned a degree and a Masters. 2 years at Michigan will have given him a great start when he returns after his career is over.

Kings management seems like they have had little conservation with him regarding signing. Not a good sign considering it's almost April.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
  #30
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings management seems like they have had little conservation with him regarding signing. Not a good sign considering it's almost April.
Just because nothing's been released, doesn't mean they haven't been talking.

Dont you think it's interesting that almost every hockey news agency thinks that Johnson will sign when his season is over?

Where there's smoke, there's fire....

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
  #31
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Just because nothing's been released, doesn't mean they haven't been talking.

Dont you think it's interesting that almost every hockey news agency thinks that Johnson will sign when his season is over?

Where there's smoke, there's fire....

Um. Let me pull out the Manchester Monarchs article from the local fish wrap about a month ago where Hextall says, "We are here to talk to him." If they were discussing it, he would be talking. Plus, DL on Kingstalk pretty much jumped around penciling him for next year...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
  #32
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 35,626
vCash: 500
Maybe they are letting the kid play and will talk to him at the conclusion of his season? Why pester him while he's still trying to help lead his team to the Frozen Four?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:52 PM
  #33
Goallum
Registered User
 
Goallum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Um. Let me pull out the Manchester Monarchs article from the local fish wrap about a month ago where Hextall says, "We are here to talk to him." If they were discussing it, he would be talking. Plus, DL on Kingstalk pretty much jumped around penciling him for next year...
He said that he's not penciling in any young prospect in a sense that with young players you never know if they are going to be ready to play in the NHL. He did not say this in a sense that he doesn't know if Johnson will come out.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
  #34
Fingolfin
Registered User
 
Fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
I don't buy the Souray rumors. Lombardi has said several times (including on a recent KingsTalk) that he was looking to add players in the 27-28 age range, so that they could "grow" with the team. He said this both in reference to a 2nd line center and a defenseman. With Blake and Visnovsky occupying the 30+ crowd on the defensive reserve list, I don't forsee Lombardi signing a guy like Souray. He just won't be of much value in 2-3 years when the team is actually competitive.

- Fin

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
  #35
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 35,626
vCash: 500
Lombardi never said anything regarding age when it came to a 2nd line center. He talked about segments in the reserve regarding defensemen and he grouped Blake and Miller together as the veterans and Lubomir and another 27-28 year old he'd like to obtain as the middle group and Johnson and Harrold as the two young defensemen to learn from them. Then when Blake and Miller move on, Visnovsky and the other 27-28 year old will move up and Johnson and Harrold will shift to where Visnovsky and the other defensemen were at, and that cycle continues to evolve. That is what he meant by building a reserve and breaking down players by birthdates/ages into segments.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
  #36
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,954
vCash: 500
There are four defensemen that may be on the market this summer that are leaps and bounds better than Souray in the defensive zone...Andrei Markov, Brian Rafalski, Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hannan. And all should sign for significantly less than the 20-plus goal scorer. Souray, quite frankly, is one of the most overrated players in hockey right now.

Unfortunately, I think he's going to land in L.A. I hope I'm wrong.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
  #37
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
I couldn't agree more. I would rather have any of those 4 instead of Souray.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
  #38
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
There are four defensemen that may be on the market this summer that are leaps and bounds better than Souray in the defensive zone...Andrei Markov, Brian Rafalski, Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hannan. And all should sign for significantly less than the 20-plus goal scorer. Souray, quite frankly, is one of the most overrated players in hockey right now.

Unfortunately, I think he's going to land in L.A. I hope I'm wrong.

Souray is a stud, he can score, hit, fight and keep up with the new game. Problem is, he is horrible in the defensive end and he is what 30-31 already.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
  #39
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Souray is a stud, he can score, hit, fight and keep up with the new game. Problem is, he is horrible in the defensive end and he is what 30-31 already.

Your post reads like this. No, yes, yes, yes, FINALLY.

It's hard to be considered a stud it you can't play the most important part of your position. See McCabe, Bryan for more information.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
  #40
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
I couldn't agree more. I would rather have any of those 4 instead of Souray.
Markov is the only one I'd really prefer. We need to add some toughness to our blueline...and Hannan is not nearly as effective since the lockout.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
  #41
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Just because nothing's been released, doesn't mean they haven't been talking.

Dont you think it's interesting that almost every hockey news agency thinks that Johnson will sign when his season is over?

Where there's smoke, there's fire....
Which is also a good thing. I was Rutherford's constant hounding that really made JJ dig his heals in and decide to stay at UofM.

Give the kid some space. Say look Jack, we want to sign you whenever you're ready.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
  #42
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Your post reads like this. No, yes, yes, yes, FINALLY.

It's hard to be considered a stud it you can't play the most important part of your position. See McCabe, Bryan for more information.

I would think Stuart or Hannon. Then you add Harrold and Petiot and call it a day.

Blake, Visnovsky, Harrold, Petiot, (Stuart/Hannon), maybe Johnson and then Dahlman. If not Jack Johnson, re-sign Aaron Miller.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
  #43
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I would think Stuart or Hannon. Then you add Harrold and Petiot and call it a day.

Blake, Visnovsky, Harrold, Petiot, (Stuart/Hannon), maybe Johnson and then Dahlman. If not Jack Johnson, re-sign Aaron Miller.
I'd prefer Souray actually. It would be nice to have a guy on the backline who'd be willing to throw em if needed. That way, we don't have to count on JJ to be the tough guy, so he can focus on learning.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
  #44
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Maybe they are letting the kid play and will talk to him at the conclusion of his season? Why pester him while he's still trying to help lead his team to the Frozen Four?
I'm pretty sure that you're right. I don't have a link but I read it in one of the articles when the Kings first got Jack. They said that they respect his decision and that they will talk to him after his season is over.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
  #45
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
The main reason I DON'T want Souray is that anyone who wants to be in LA badly (Valeri Bure, Jeremy Roenick, Rob Blake, etc.) never works out well.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
  #46
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
This is how I see the defense next season and why I don't think the Kings should go after a big offensive guy like Souray -

Visnovsky (offense) -Hannan (defense)
With a guy like Hannan backing up the play Visnovsky can take more chances and jump into the play. Hannan won't provide much offense but the Kings don't really need him to provide any as long as he is good in his own zone. Another plus is that he won't cost as much as some of the other big name FAs on the market.

Johnson (offense)-Blake (defense)
Johnson loves to jump into the play and join the offensive attack. He will be able to do that with Crawford but he is going to have to play with a defensive defensman. If Blake is going to play with JMFJ he is going to have to take on a more defensive role. He is going to have to lay back and let Johnson do most of the attacking.

Harrold (offense)-Miller (defense)
I'm not so sure about this pairing. Harrold played well when he was called up earlier this season but there is no guarantee that he will make the team out of training camp next season. Miller is a bigger ?. He has played pretty well this season but he might not be willing to take a pay cut and there is always the injury risk with Miller even though he has been healthy this season.

Extras - (Dallman, Weaver, Petiot) The Kings depth would be pretty good if some one goes down or struggles. Dallman and Weaver are both ok 6-7 defensman and Petiot might be ready for the NHL next season.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
  #47
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Then when Blake and Miller move on, Visnovsky and the other 27-28 year old will move up...
Visnovsky will be 31 this Summer and 32 when Blake's contract is up. Coincidentally, this is the same as Souray, though, so maybe Lombardi sees these two players as being the future old guys/veterans on the team. That doesn't address the middle age group, though. The Kings would still be without anyone in the 26-31 age group. In a couple of years, the defense would have 2-3 guys that are over 33 and 3-4 that are under 26, barring other signings or acquisitions.

BTW, I still think that an effort will be made to keep Blake as a King until he retires.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
  #48
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,699
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
The main reason I DON'T want Souray is that anyone who wants to be in LA badly (Valeri Bure, Jeremy Roenick, Rob Blake, etc.) never works out well.
Yeah, because they have other reasons to be in LA. They didn't come here to play hockey, I'll say that much.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
  #49
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings management seems like they have had little conservation with him regarding signing. Not a good sign considering it's almost April.
You can't play College hockey if you have secured the services of a player agent. So, given that Michigan's season isn't over yet, that's probably why Johnson and the Kings haven't talk contract.

At this point, all they can do is ask if he would like to begin contract negotiations after the season is over.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
  #50
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wouldn't complain if the top 4 dmen in LA next year are Lubo-Souray-Blake-Johnson. They would definetely be more exciting to watch than they are now and that's what puts butts in the seats. Brad Stuart and his so so stats won't sell a damn ticket.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.