HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Souray rumors...

Old
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I am honestly not optimistic Johnson is gonna come out of school.

DL stated he wants to give a few young guys a shot, ie. Harrold as stated on Kings talk.

Blake, Visnovsky are the for sures.

Add Harrold and Petiot.

Kings sign Stuart or Souray and re-sign Miller. Dalhman is #7. That's my prediction.
Remember where a lot of people penciled Kopitar to be before the season started? Johnson will earn a spot on the roster. He's too good not to and there is a spot on the roster for him to step into.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
What?!? You don't think Blake's play has been offensive this season?

My bad dawg. You are correct, he is very offensive when on the ice.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Street Hawk

Don't buy into Rutherford's excuses....

Quote:
I am honestly not optimistic Johnson is gonna come out of school.
Jack Johnson will NOT play 4 years of college hockey. I never understood the rush to get him into the league so fast. Sometimes, it shows more maturity for a young player to say, hey, I'm not quite ready, rather than get to the NHL asap and fail early and lose his confidence.

Johnson has played 2 years at Michigan, in the hopes of winning a National Title. Whether he'll win one or not, probably won't affect his decision to sign after the season is over. I think he knows it's time for him to take the next challenge in his career. Also needs to realize there's a great opportunity to play and learn from Rob Blake, who only has 1 more year left in him. Getting a degree is great, but the Michigan will always be there after his playing days are over, so whether he earns his degree in 2009 or 2025, really doesn't matter. There have been quite a few NHLers who have gone back to school and earned a degree and a Masters. 2 years at Michigan will have given him a great start when he returns after his career is over.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Jack Johnson will NOT play 4 years of college hockey. I never understood the rush to get him into the league so fast. Sometimes, it shows more maturity for a young player to say, hey, I'm not quite ready, rather than get to the NHL asap and fail early and lose his confidence.

Johnson has played 2 years at Michigan, in the hopes of winning a National Title. Whether he'll win one or not, probably won't affect his decision to sign after the season is over. I think he knows it's time for him to take the next challenge in his career. Also needs to realize there's a great opportunity to play and learn from Rob Blake, who only has 1 more year left in him. Getting a degree is great, but the Michigan will always be there after his playing days are over, so whether he earns his degree in 2009 or 2025, really doesn't matter. There have been quite a few NHLers who have gone back to school and earned a degree and a Masters. 2 years at Michigan will have given him a great start when he returns after his career is over.

Kings management seems like they have had little conservation with him regarding signing. Not a good sign considering it's almost April.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Kings management seems like they have had little conservation with him regarding signing. Not a good sign considering it's almost April.
Just because nothing's been released, doesn't mean they haven't been talking.

Dont you think it's interesting that almost every hockey news agency thinks that Johnson will sign when his season is over?

Where there's smoke, there's fire....

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post

Dont you think it's interesting that almost every hockey news agency thinks that Johnson will sign when his season is over?

Um. Let me pull out the Manchester Monarchs article from the local fish wrap about a month ago where Hextall says, "We are here to talk to him." If they were discussing it, he would be talking. Plus, DL on Kingstalk pretty much jumped around penciling him for next year...

Old
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Maybe they are letting the kid play and will talk to him at the conclusion of his season? Why pester him while he's still trying to help lead his team to the Frozen Four?

Old
03-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Um. Let me pull out the Manchester Monarchs article from the local fish wrap about a month ago where Hextall says, "We are here to talk to him." If they were discussing it, he would be talking. Plus, DL on Kingstalk pretty much jumped around penciling him for next year...
He said that he's not penciling in any young prospect in a sense that with young players you never know if they are going to be ready to play in the NHL. He did not say this in a sense that he doesn't know if Johnson will come out.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Fingolfin

I don't buy the Souray rumors. Lombardi has said several times (including on a recent KingsTalk) that he was looking to add players in the 27-28 age range, so that they could "grow" with the team. He said this both in reference to a 2nd line center and a defenseman. With Blake and Visnovsky occupying the 30+ crowd on the defensive reserve list, I don't forsee Lombardi signing a guy like Souray. He just won't be of much value in 2-3 years when the team is actually competitive.

- Fin

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lombardi never said anything regarding age when it came to a 2nd line center. He talked about segments in the reserve regarding defensemen and he grouped Blake and Miller together as the veterans and Lubomir and another 27-28 year old he'd like to obtain as the middle group and Johnson and Harrold as the two young defensemen to learn from them. Then when Blake and Miller move on, Visnovsky and the other 27-28 year old will move up and Johnson and Harrold will shift to where Visnovsky and the other defensemen were at, and that cycle continues to evolve. That is what he meant by building a reserve and breaking down players by birthdates/ages into segments.

Old
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

There are four defensemen that may be on the market this summer that are leaps and bounds better than Souray in the defensive zone...Andrei Markov, Brian Rafalski, Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hannan. And all should sign for significantly less than the 20-plus goal scorer. Souray, quite frankly, is one of the most overrated players in hockey right now.

Unfortunately, I think he's going to land in L.A. I hope I'm wrong.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
PRMan

I couldn't agree more. I would rather have any of those 4 instead of Souray.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
There are four defensemen that may be on the market this summer that are leaps and bounds better than Souray in the defensive zone...Andrei Markov, Brian Rafalski, Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hannan. And all should sign for significantly less than the 20-plus goal scorer. Souray, quite frankly, is one of the most overrated players in hockey right now.

Unfortunately, I think he's going to land in L.A. I hope I'm wrong.

Souray is a stud, he can score, hit, fight and keep up with the new game. Problem is, he is horrible in the defensive end and he is what 30-31 already.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Souray is a stud, he can score, hit, fight and keep up with the new game. Problem is, he is horrible in the defensive end and he is what 30-31 already.

Your post reads like this. No, yes, yes, yes, FINALLY.

It's hard to be considered a stud it you can't play the most important part of your position. See McCabe, Bryan for more information.

03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
I couldn't agree more. I would rather have any of those 4 instead of Souray.
Markov is the only one I'd really prefer. We need to add some toughness to our blueline...and Hannan is not nearly as effective since the lockout.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post

Which is also a good thing. I was Rutherford's constant hounding that really made JJ dig his heals in and decide to stay at UofM.

Give the kid some space. Say look Jack, we want to sign you whenever you're ready.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Your post reads like this. No, yes, yes, yes, FINALLY.

It's hard to be considered a stud it you can't play the most important part of your position. See McCabe, Bryan for more information.

I would think Stuart or Hannon. Then you add Harrold and Petiot and call it a day.

Blake, Visnovsky, Harrold, Petiot, (Stuart/Hannon), maybe Johnson and then Dahlman. If not Jack Johnson, re-sign Aaron Miller.

Old
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
I would think Stuart or Hannon. Then you add Harrold and Petiot and call it a day.

Blake, Visnovsky, Harrold, Petiot, (Stuart/Hannon), maybe Johnson and then Dahlman. If not Jack Johnson, re-sign Aaron Miller.
I'd prefer Souray actually. It would be nice to have a guy on the backline who'd be willing to throw em if needed. That way, we don't have to count on JJ to be the tough guy, so he can focus on learning.

Old
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Maybe they are letting the kid play and will talk to him at the conclusion of his season? Why pester him while he's still trying to help lead his team to the Frozen Four?
I'm pretty sure that you're right. I don't have a link but I read it in one of the articles when the Kings first got Jack. They said that they respect his decision and that they will talk to him after his season is over.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
PRMan

The main reason I DON'T want Souray is that anyone who wants to be in LA badly (Valeri Bure, Jeremy Roenick, Rob Blake, etc.) never works out well.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
RightKinger

This is how I see the defense next season and why I don't think the Kings should go after a big offensive guy like Souray -

Visnovsky (offense) -Hannan (defense)
With a guy like Hannan backing up the play Visnovsky can take more chances and jump into the play. Hannan won't provide much offense but the Kings don't really need him to provide any as long as he is good in his own zone. Another plus is that he won't cost as much as some of the other big name FAs on the market.

Johnson (offense)-Blake (defense)
Johnson loves to jump into the play and join the offensive attack. He will be able to do that with Crawford but he is going to have to play with a defensive defensman. If Blake is going to play with JMFJ he is going to have to take on a more defensive role. He is going to have to lay back and let Johnson do most of the attacking.

Harrold (offense)-Miller (defense)
I'm not so sure about this pairing. Harrold played well when he was called up earlier this season but there is no guarantee that he will make the team out of training camp next season. Miller is a bigger ?. He has played pretty well this season but he might not be willing to take a pay cut and there is always the injury risk with Miller even though he has been healthy this season.

Extras - (Dallman, Weaver, Petiot) The Kings depth would be pretty good if some one goes down or struggles. Dallman and Weaver are both ok 6-7 defensman and Petiot might be ready for the NHL next season.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Then when Blake and Miller move on, Visnovsky and the other 27-28 year old will move up...
Visnovsky will be 31 this Summer and 32 when Blake's contract is up. Coincidentally, this is the same as Souray, though, so maybe Lombardi sees these two players as being the future old guys/veterans on the team. That doesn't address the middle age group, though. The Kings would still be without anyone in the 26-31 age group. In a couple of years, the defense would have 2-3 guys that are over 33 and 3-4 that are under 26, barring other signings or acquisitions.

BTW, I still think that an effort will be made to keep Blake as a King until he retires.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
The main reason I DON'T want Souray is that anyone who wants to be in LA badly (Valeri Bure, Jeremy Roenick, Rob Blake, etc.) never works out well.
Yeah, because they have other reasons to be in LA. They didn't come here to play hockey, I'll say that much.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Street Hawk

Agent

Quote:
You can't play College hockey if you have secured the services of a player agent. So, given that Michigan's season isn't over yet, that's probably why Johnson and the Kings haven't talk contract.

At this point, all they can do is ask if he would like to begin contract negotiations after the season is over.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wouldn't complain if the top 4 dmen in LA next year are Lubo-Souray-Blake-Johnson. They would definetely be more exciting to watch than they are now and that's what puts butts in the seats. Brad Stuart and his so so stats won't sell a damn ticket.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote