Notices

minni - canucks feelings

Old
03-06-2007, 01:51 AM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
minni - canucks feelings

hey wild fans, i just wanted to say that as a canuck fan it seems like the wild always bring their toughest game against us... why is that? im just curious, does it all stem from our '03 playoff series against each other? do you all consider the canucks your #1 rivals?

here's from a canuck fan point of view, for example, when i ask my brother, "so who are we playing next?" and he tells me the wild, my reaction's always something like, "damnnnnit, that sucks" just b/c i know it's going to be a really tough game and chances are you guys might blow us out like 6-1 b/c if i remember correctly that's happened quite a few times, twice last year

anyways, that's what most canuck fans think when we think of the wild, i so do not want to face you guys in the playoffs, that would be hell all over again

so what do you guys think? if i could get some responses to my above questions and anything else you guys want to add, that would be awesome... and i know i'd enjoy the read...

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Bam Beet*

OMG did these need its own thread?

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:53 AM
vitogor

I don't think the '03 playoffs have anything to do with that. There are only a handful of Wild players left from that team - Fernandez, Walz, Schultz, Gaborik... I think that's it. The Canucks have changed quiet a bit as well - new GM, new coach, new goalie (we miss you, Cloutier ), new system, some of biggest agitators are gone (Bert, Ruutu, May, Jova). I think the rivalry has pretty much disappeared in the last couple of years. I know that a lot of the Canucks fans didn't see it as a rivalry in the first place, and always saw the Wild as an annoying little cousin that they were forced to put up with, but to us it was a huge deal. When I looked at the schedule and saw Vancouver, I would mark my calendar. Now when I see Vancouver on the schedule, I don't feel any different than if it was Calgary, Colorado, or Edmonton. The Wild plays tough against all of the Northwest teams, not just the Canucks. Those are very important games, and are always tough for both teams involved.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Line View Post
OMG did these need its own thread?
why not? He wants to know what our feelings are towards his team, I don't see anything wrong with that.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
hey wild fans, i just wanted to say that as a canuck fan it seems like the wild always bring their toughest game against us...
We sure didn't on Sunday.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
cc

I watched Calgary's game against Minny and they played pretty much the same way. Any percieved rivalry that exists seems to stem from the three teams being so close together in points and in the same division.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
The Big E

Without the Fat, Lazy Pig, The Mouth, The Sieve and The Hair, the rivalry isn't quite the same.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Karl

Here is my feeling on the whole Wild-Nucks "rivalry" thing, there is no rivalry. Yeah they had a great playoff series in 2003 and there was a little animosity in 2004, but the main players are gone on the Nucks that made the "rivalry". Yes I know that some Canucks fans turn up there nose that the lowly Minnesota Wild and fans think they have a rivalry, but to a new franchies it was a fun thing to have a "rival" to play against. Now when I watch a Wild-Canucks game it feels like another Northwest division game.

I would love to get out of the Northwest and in a division with Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis. Fewer late night games and to get some real rivalries started with old Norris Division teams.

Last edited by Karl: 03-07-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:02 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

i know a lot of the players are gone but a lot of the core is still there for us, ohlund, salo, naslund, morrison, the sedins, cooke, linden... but i also see your guys' point, that cooke's the only hateful guy left, it's kind of hard to have a hate on for our swedish stars, or salo, morrison... seems like nonis let go of all the jerkish type players, and now they're all injured ... even w/ all that said, i hate playing the wild, they still make me shudder, especially w/ all that speed they have... dangerous...

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
wildslip

i think the only rivarly is
Columbus just becuz we came in the same year

wildslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Tleve

It's interesting to hear a Wild fans point of view. I really like the Wild this year and have a very healthy respect for them but I view them as more of a rival than I have in the past. It must be the division race and my appreciation for the talent on the Wild team. I think the Wild has the potential to be very dangerous in the playoffs and I love watching Wild/Canuck games (I'm going to the one on the 12th). I would like to seem them do well in the post-season unless they meet the 'Nucks.

By the same token, I hate Calgary although I respect the talent on that team as well. I would love to see them miss the post season or bow out really early on.

Why that is - I don't know but I think that Minnesota's getting a whole lot of respect from Nuck fans and around the league now - and they deserve it.

Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 04:28 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleve View Post
Why that is - I don't know but I think that Minnesota's getting a whole lot of respect from Nuck fans and around the league now - and they deserve it.
as Pierre Maguire said, we're the sleeping giant of the west...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
sorace88*

Send a message via MSN to sorace88*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
pierre macguire also said that the addition of cloutier would sore up the kings goaltending situation, look how that worked out. You are not a sleeping giant at all, you could cause some trouble for a top team in the first round but you don't have depth to do much else.

sorace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
ceber

Pfft. Depth.

Old
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorace88 View Post
pierre macguire also said that the addition of cloutier would sore up the kings goaltending situation, look how that worked out. You are not a sleeping giant at all, you could cause some trouble for a top team in the first round but you don't have depth to do much else.
I don't know if he'd said it before but this morning on Vancouver radio Pierre McGuire said that both the Nucks and the Wild were the sleeping giants in the west. This time, I'll choose to agree with him.

Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Here is my feeling on the whole Wild-Nucks "rivalry" thing, there is no rivalry. Yeah they had a great playoff series in 2003 and there was a little animosity in 2004, but the main players are gone on the Nucks that made the "rivalry". Yes I know that some Canucks fans turn up there nose that the lowly Minnesota Wild and fans think they have a rivalry, but to a new franchies it was a fun thing to have a "rival" to play against. Now when I watch a Wild-Canucks game it feels like another Northwest division.

I would love to get out of the Northwest and in a division with Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis. Fewer late night games and to get some real rivalries started with old Norris Division teams.
Wes Walz sure doesn't talk like it. He takes every chance he can to make some pretty bad comments regarding the Canucks whenever he can. The guy has somewhat of a massive hate-on for us.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
After watching last night's game, all I can say is that they're going to have to do a hell of a lot less sleeping and a hell of a lot more gianting if they want to play more than 4 or 5 games this postseason. If they thought they had trouble with the San Joses yesterday, they ain't seen nuthin' yet, because that's the way people are going to be playing them every night in the playoffs.

Last edited by Wild Thing: 03-07-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorace88 View Post

So says the pot after calling the kettle black...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Goldy

I think there is a bit of a rivalry here. Moreso than we have with any other team.

It started in the playoffs a few years ago, and games since continue to be chippy. This had a lot to do with Ruutu and Cooke continually stirring the pot, but both teams play these games with lots of intensity.

I hope we don't realign the divisions. I love the passion of the fans of our current division rivals. This doesn't exist to the same extent with St. Louis and Chicago.

As far as Columbus, maybe they consider us their top rival (because they always seem to elevate their game against us), but the Wild don't see them as a rival - they are a joke every year. Perhaps the biggest group of underachievers in the league.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Yammer

My feeling is that Minnesota gets inspired for Vancouver, and Vancouver doesn't.

The rivalry was created in 03, not because of the specific hated Vancouver players as much as because Vancouver was doing well and thinking itself elite, and Minnesota was still thought of as a lowly expansion squad.

When Minnesota put the boots to us, the feeling in Vancouver was still not one of respect, but more of a grudging feeling that Lemaire's anti-hockey coaching methods and Cloutier's mental fragility had robbed the superior team.

Vancouver has also had long-running hatreds against Edmonton, the arrogant and disgustingly successful (until recently) City of Champions, and against Calgary, which is seen as a dirty team. Perhaps there was no room in the collective ill-will to form a hatred against Minnesota, whereas the Wild have always seemed to play passionately against us.

I know one thing, that that last game on March 4 was a good one.

And who in their right mind would want to face Minnesota in the playoffs now? Demitra, Gaborik, Rolston, plus the speed of Walz and the unequalled intimidation factor of Boogardt. That is some forward corps.

The irony is that Vancouver will hope that it has better defense with which to face the Wild.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
coastal_nuck

I'm not sure about every Canucks fan, but I for one look forward to the matchups. We all know that it's going to be a tough game simply because you guys always come up big against us. The intensity is there and for Vancouver, that's not always the case. The rivalry between the two make for some great games to watch.

Minnesota also has a great team this year... Gaborik and Demitra scare the crap out of me everytime they're out there.

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:57 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
I think there is a bit of a rivalry here. Moreso than we have with any other team.

It started in the playoffs a few years ago, and games since continue to be chippy. This had a lot to do with Ruutu and Cooke continually stirring the pot, but both teams play these games with lots of intensity.

I hope we don't realign the divisions. I love the passion of the fans of our current division rivals. This doesn't exist to the same extent with St. Louis and Chicago.

As far as Columbus, maybe they consider us their top rival (because they always seem to elevate their game against us), but the Wild don't see them as a rival - they are a joke every year. Perhaps the biggest group of underachievers in the league.
The teams the fans see as rivals and the teams the players do are probably different. Players have commented about a rivalry with CBJ. I never felt it, but apparently there was a bit of a "measuring stick" thing going on between the teams. That might be dying since they've both been around long enough now.

As for realignment, I think we'd quickly pick up new rivalries just fine. Look at the Boston game. Maybe we don't need to realign (I wish we would), but we sure need to fix the schedule. Imagine if we had a two night stand in Boston? That next game would have some fire to it, I think.

Old
03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Percuvius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
hey wild fans, i just wanted to say that as a canuck fan it seems like the wild always bring their toughest game against us... why is that? im just curious, does it all stem from our '03 playoff series against each other? do you all consider the canucks your #1 rivals?

here's from a canuck fan point of view, for example, when i ask my brother, "so who are we playing next?" and he tells me the wild, my reaction's always something like, "damnnnnit, that sucks" just b/c i know it's going to be a really tough game and chances are you guys might blow us out like 6-1 b/c if i remember correctly that's happened quite a few times, twice last year

anyways, that's what most canuck fans think when we think of the wild, i so do not want to face you guys in the playoffs, that would be hell all over again

so what do you guys think? if i could get some responses to my above questions and anything else you guys want to add, that would be awesome... and i know i'd enjoy the read...
This isn't even close to waht this Canuck fan thinks.

Percuvius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Lux Aurumque*

There is no rivalry.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
There is no rivalry.
A few years ago there was. Lately not so much. I don't think this Vancouver team has any rivalries. Before the overhaul every team in the Northwest was a Vancouver rival.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote