HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should Boivin/Gainey do about overaggressive Press

Old
03-06-2007, 11:05 PM
momotan

vCash: 500
What should Boivin/Gainey do about overaggressive Press

I think it's time Canadians management stepped in and pulled some credentials. Their is reasonable reporting and then their is the tabloid type crap. Reporters who fall in the second category should have their credentials pulled right now. If you can't do your job responsably, you have no business getting help from the canadians organization. It's a free country so you can still report on them, but they are a private company and don't need to be doing you any type of favours like press credentials. Also, as of next year, maybe it's time to limit access. No locker room access at any time. Only post game interviews at a press conference (like in the NFL) and only 1 weekly coach press conference instead of this daily crap and 3 GM interviews per season, one at the start, one after the trade deadline and one at the end of the season. That should be more than eneough to get the sporting story out. The tabloid garbage will continue but a price will be paid if a story is printed which just serves to sell papers rather than be backed in fact. The paper/reporter reporting will lose their credentials. I bet that threat alone would cut down this crap dramatically and force them to do their homework.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Bob should just keep doing what he's doing. Stay quiet and get the media all worked up so they continue to make ****ing fools out of themselves.

See...I'm getting all worked up again.

Please no more media threads..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Ross MacLochness

Heh, I was just going to ask in the Kovalev thread what type of fines would the team be looking at if every player, coach, and Gainey just boycotted talking to the media the rest of the year? Could Gillett afford that? The situation right now is beyond pathetic.

They want a quote from Kovalev? Too bad. Make it so they can only get team comments from some intern PR guy.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Last year I suggested limited media access to the locker room and Press Conferences. I also suggested a retainer. Media outlets pay a few mil at the start of the season, and they get to report on the team. They get it back after, unless they do something stupid like publish unsubstantiated claims of an interview or take unwanted pictures of players in the hospital or stake out outside the home of injured players as if they are some sort of FBI agents.

They called me hitler.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
I think it's time Canadians management stepped in and pulled some credentials. Their is reasonable reporting and then their is the tabloid type crap. Reporters who fall in the second category should have their credentials pulled right now. If you can't do your job responsably, you have no business getting help from the canadians organization. It's a free country so you can still report on them, but they are a private company and don't need to be doing you any type of favours like press credentials. Also, as of next year, maybe it's time to limit access. No locker room access at any time. Only post game interviews at a press conference (like in the NFL) and only 1 weekly coach press conference instead of this daily crap and 3 GM interviews per season, one at the start, one after the trade deadline and one at the end of the season. That should be more than eneough to get the sporting story out. The tabloid garbage will continue but a price will be paid if a story is printed which just serves to sell papers rather than be backed in fact. The paper/reporter reporting will lose their credentials. I bet that threat alone would cut down this crap dramatically and force them to do their homework.
Push it a bit further. Do like Wirtz in Chicago and stop broadcasting the games altogether. Then kick the media out of the locker room and retire all the habs coverage.

That'll show them. Brilliant idea!

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Heh, I was just going to ask in the Kovalev thread what type of fines would the team be looking at if every player, coach, and Gainey just boycotted talking to the media the rest of the year? Could Gillett afford that? The situation right now is beyond pathetic.

They want a quote from Kovalev? Too bad. Make it so they can only get team comments from some intern PR guy.
That's a good idea, they should hire a PR person with a stuttering problem. Like that Stuttering Bob guy from Howard Stern's show

03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:

Doesn't Detroit do something like that? At least back in the Yzerman era? I think it's a good idea.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
Actually, I was thinking along the same lines. It would probably do wonders for the atmosphere in the dressing room if reporters weren't allowed in there, and bringing their negative crap with them. Reporters could have access through NFL type press conferences post-game and go through the Habs media guy to get personal one-on-one interviews with players.

The NHL has a policy that teams MUST allow reporters into the dressing within 10 minutes of a game's completion. I think they should allow an exception in Montreal where the press is overly involved in trying to stir up trouble rather than just covering the team.

Boivin should seriously consider closing the dressing room to reporters, just to give the players some element of privacy.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
Actually, I was thinking along the same lines. It would probably do wonders for the atmosphere in the dressing room if reporters weren't allowed in there, and bringing their negative crap with them. Reporters could have access through NFL type press conferences post-game and go through the Habs media guy to get personal one-on-one interviews with players.

The NHL has a policy that teams MUST allow reporters into the dressing within 10 minutes of a game's completion. I think they should allow an exception in Montreal where the press is overly involved in trying to stir up trouble rather than just covering the team.

Boivin should seriously consider closing the dressing room to reporters, just to give the players some element of privacy.
New Jersey (I think) does not allow the media into the room, and they just pay the fines.

Old
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's a good idea, they should hire a PR person with a stuttering problem. Like that Stuttering Bob guy from Howard Stern's show
Doesn't former Gm Andre Savard have a stuttering problem. Words were coming out of his mouth like molasses.

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Vlad The Impaler

There seems to be a total lack of perspective on these boards. As if somehow, the reasons the Habs are crumbling is the media's fault. I think a lot of fans here are looking for a scapegoat. Yet the Habs started to suck around Christmas and this Kovalev controversy just broke out a few days ago.

Gainey and Boivin wouldn't gain much by restricting access to the media. When you think about it, the Kovalev controversy wasn't caused by the Habs allowing access to the media.

We are in North America. Freedom of speech, freedom of information. People want coverage of their favorite team. They like hearing what the coach has to say, get players interviews and the like.

Not giving the press access means not getting the players side of the story. It means relying on guesswork or secondary sources, which is, ironically, exactly what happened in the Kovalev story. A story which has you guys all hilariously worked up.

What sane person wants that to happen?

Overall, I think the overabundance of media is just proof that the Habs have a healthy, thriving market.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Last year I suggested limited media access to the locker room and Press Conferences. I also suggested a retainer. Media outlets pay a few mil at the start of the season, and they get to report on the team. They get it back after, unless they do something stupid like publish unsubstantiated claims of an interview or take unwanted pictures of players in the hospital or stake out outside the home of injured players as if they are some sort of FBI agents.

They called me hitler.

That would be great actually...

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:31 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
There seems to be a total lack of perspective on these boards. As if somehow, the reasons the Habs are crumbling is the media's fault. I think a lot of fans here are looking for a scapegoat. Yet the Habs started to suck around Christmas and this Kovalev controversy just broke out a few days ago.

Gainey and Boivin wouldn't gain much by restricting access to the media. When you think about it, the Kovalev controversy wasn't caused by the Habs allowing access to the media.

We are in North America. Freedom of speech, freedom of information. People want coverage of their favorite team. They like hearing what the coach has to say, get players interviews and the like.

Not giving the press access means not getting the players side of the story. It means relying on guesswork or secondary sources, which is, ironically, exactly what happened in the Kovalev story. A story which has you guys all hilariously worked up.

Overall, I think the overabundance of media is just proof that the Habs have a healthy, thriving market.
Please don't leave us again.

Old
03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:

They wouldn't gain anything by stricting access to the media. Atleast not in the short term. But that wouldn't be the point of the whole thing.

And I know I could live without the post game cliches for a month. No more "We knew it was important to get a good start and stay out of the box, but we didn't follow the gameplan..."? Oh dear....

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:35 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Push it a bit further. Do like Wirtz in Chicago and stop broadcasting the games altogether. Then kick the media out of the locker room and retire all the habs coverage.

That'll show them. Brilliant idea!

The suggestion is ONLY that the press not be allowed in the Habs locker room. This is NOT a big deal. You never see news reports from the locker room in the NBA, NFL or Major League Baseball (one exception is when a team wins a championship). Most teams give very limited access to their locker room in these sports. All interviews are either done on the court or on the field of play or done in a media room/press conference situation.

In England, reporters are not allowed in the locker rooms of ANY of that country's pro-soccer teams, and they have at least four levels of professional soccer.

In no way does this directive interfere with television coverage of those sports, what it does do is make the locker room a place where the athletes can get some privacy and escape the sometimes relentless media attention.

In the '80's and early '90's many teams in the NHL had a policy of not allowing reporters into the dressing room. However, when Bettman arrived one of the first moves he made in trying to make the NHL more 'media friendly' was create a policy that all dressing rooms should be opened to the media.

In most cities it's not issue, but if it has become one in Montreal then Boivin can act to 'calm' the dressing room, by not allowing reporters inside it. He can't stop the media from reporting what they report - nor should he be allowed to, but he can act to ensure that reporters aren't negatively impacting the dressing room.

The locker room is NOT a public space, and reporters do not have a "right" to be there.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
SOLR

Bring back the nords and I promise you less QQing around the habs. The province of Quebec is just to big a hockey market for 1 team, thats the only truth I see in this. Since my team left, all we have seen is an unfocused Canadiens organization, like theres nobody to fight anymore, nobody to compete with. Scandals one after the others, poor performance on the ice and as an organization, over-focused medias sharks witch reminds me a lot of OUR media sharks in Quebec city, like they moved to Montreal in 1995.(Not just Alain Crête and Diane Hayfield.)

Last edited by SOLR: 03-06-2007 at 11:43 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Habitant#1

How about this for the locker room: 1 reporter per media outlet. That way the reporters compete for the spot with professionalism and respect. Like say Red Fisher.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
tinyzombies

I think the odd random beat-down would keep the press in line. These aren't reporters, they're con men. Time to break out the brass knuckles.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

No, it suggests that the media are making le Canadien a surrogate nationalistic symbol and it rankles them that the team is loaded with what they consider to be foreign mercenaries.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
They wouldn't gain anything by stricting access to the media. Atleast not in the short term. But that wouldn't be the point of the whole thing.
What would be the point then?

There's nothing to gain at all, short or long term.

I've read your post about a total media boycott and just can't understand what you think this would accomplish.

Old
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post

In the '80's and early '90's many teams in the NHL had a policy of not allowing reporters into the dressing room. However, when Bettman arrived one of the first moves he made in trying to make the NHL more 'media friendly' was create a policy that all dressing rooms should be opened to the media.

In most cities it's not issue, but if it has become one in Montreal then Boivin can act to 'calm' the dressing room, by not allowing reporters inside it. He can't stop the media from reporting what they report - nor should he be allowed to, but he can act to ensure that reporters aren't negatively impacting the dressing room.

The locker room is NOT a public space, and reporters do not have a "right" to be there.
The changes that were made in the habs environment actually went your way.

The reporters used to travel with the team and have incredible access. Gainey shut that down. Never has this organisation been so tight lipped or tried so much to control the message, not the other way around.

Vlad is right in this, you can't stop the coverage because people want to hear about the habs. The only thing you'll succeed in limiting the access of the locker room is to have a bunch of op-ed pieces that are going to piss you off much much more than the current coverage.

You think Bergeron has to go in the locker room to forge his opinions? How do you feel about having 10 Bergeron saying anything they feel like saying because they don't feel accountable?

The only way to shut this down is to go the way of the Expos and become so mediocre that nobody will care anymore about either you or your players. Is that what you prefer?

Old
03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Bring back the nords and I promise you less QQing around the habs. The province of Quebec is just to big a hockey market for 1 team, thats the only truth I see in this. Since my team left, all we have seen is an unfocused Canadiens organization, like theres nobody to fight anymore, nobody to compete with. Scandals one after the others, poor performance on the ice and as an organization, over-focused medias sharks witch reminds me a lot of OUR media sharks in Quebec city, like they moved to Montreal in 1995.(Not just Alain Crête and Diane Hayfield.)
+1

Never liked the nords but I sure miss them

Old
03-06-2007, 11:47 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
+1

Never liked the nords but I sure miss them
Thats the spirit, how about Nords with Crosby?

Theres a funky rumor resurfacing in town...Red Bull...

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
No, it suggests that the media are making le Canadien a surrogate nationalistic symbol and it rankles them that the team is loaded with what they consider to be foreign mercenaries.
So I say that the vast number of journalists covering the Habs suggest that it is a market that draws a lot of interest and your answer is that the vast number of journalists suggests some sort of nationalistic agenda?

You do know that there are hundreds of journalists of all backgrounds, working for a wide variety of different media outlets, don't you?

Old
03-06-2007, 11:51 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Thats the spirit, how about Nords with Crosby?

Theres a funky rumor resurfacing in town...Red Bull...
Red Bull, Coke, Cirque du Soleil... I'd be happy with anybody. I feel I was a bit too young to fully enjoy the Quebec/Montreal conflict. I'd give a lot to bring Quebec back...

Even if they were chronic underachievers.