HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should Boivin/Gainey do about overaggressive Press

Old
03-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Reiher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Don't ban the media, just answer their questions wrong. They'll figure it out.

reporter: "what went wrong tonight?"
Koivu: "I thought my pre-game meal had too much salt on it and the lettuce was limp in my salad."

reporter: "what's it going to take to get the team back on the winning track?"
Carbo: "Prostitutes. Lots of them. A hooker for each player. Maybe even in between periods"

Have fun with them.

Reiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Pere Noel

I say we take the matters in our own hands.

Call the radio talk show, and bash the media for their terrible work/professional ethic, one sided stories, and unfair negativity.

If they can bash players without boundaries, judgement, and fair play.... well it is more than fair that we bash the media back, but please, with fair play and judgement.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 05:12 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
There seems to be a total lack of perspective on these boards. As if somehow, the reasons the Habs are crumbling is the media's fault. I think a lot of fans here are looking for a scapegoat. Yet the Habs started to suck around Christmas and this Kovalev controversy just broke out a few days ago.

Gainey and Boivin wouldn't gain much by restricting access to the media. When you think about it, the Kovalev controversy wasn't caused by the Habs allowing access to the media.

We are in North America. Freedom of speech, freedom of information. People want coverage of their favorite team. They like hearing what the coach has to say, get players interviews and the like.

Not giving the press access means not getting the players side of the story. It means relying on guesswork or secondary sources, which is, ironically, exactly what happened in the Kovalev story. A story which has you guys all hilariously worked up.

What sane person wants that to happen?

Overall, I think the overabundance of media is just proof that the Habs have a healthy, thriving market.
well, lookie who shows up?

Nice to see you around again.

I like what farber said about this whole kovalev situation.... dont trust anyone... dont take any side

If I was a player, especially in a market like montreal, I would make sure that I just give the ordinary cliche remarks to every single question, otherwise, you have no idea what can of worms can be opened. Let the opinionated folks form their opinions, but make sure nothing controversial comes out of your own mouth. Most hockey players have this routine down pat.

Whatever comments kovalev made in the russian paper, or meant to say, I would assume were far from cliche.

I dont know if people are blaming the season over this kovalev thing. As a habs fan, its just a frustrating time and this media/kovalev thing is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Hackett: 03-07-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
I think it's time Canadians management stepped in and pulled some credentials. Their is reasonable reporting and then their is the tabloid type crap. Reporters who fall in the second category should have their credentials pulled right now. If you can't do your job responsably, you have no business getting help from the canadians organization. It's a free country so you can still report on them, but they are a private company and don't need to be doing you any type of favours like press credentials. Also, as of next year, maybe it's time to limit access. No locker room access at any time. Only post game interviews at a press conference (like in the NFL) and only 1 weekly coach press conference instead of this daily crap and 3 GM interviews per season, one at the start, one after the trade deadline and one at the end of the season. That should be more than eneough to get the sporting story out. The tabloid garbage will continue but a price will be paid if a story is printed which just serves to sell papers rather than be backed in fact. The paper/reporter reporting will lose their credentials. I bet that threat alone would cut down this crap dramatically and force them to do their homework.
Wow you guys are so scary sometime.

It wierd because everyone is wrong EXCEPT the Habs management. The sports analysts, the medias, the newspapers, CKAC, TEAM 990, all of them are only living to destroy the Habs .

Those guys find stories, report them when they are credible. They are doing their job. You guys act like no one should attack the Habs, no one should talk against the Habs, no one should talk against the Habs players and no one should say that the Habs won't make the playoff.

Plus there is a strong francophone bashing on those boards, it kinda sad when you realise that the Habs are playing in a province where 80% of the population is francophone.

You guys are giving God without confession to players who didn't even score 20 goals in the NHL (perezhogin, kostistyn) but you keep bashing a guy like Latendresse who is our most physical forwards when most of the guys of his age are playing in the junior. And he is only 2 goals away from Kovalev, our superstar who is often playing the full duration of the PP! I agree that Bouillon is having a tough year but he never fully recovered from his knee injury and despity his efforts every night, he seems to have lost a lot of confidence.

I am not over protecting our local players (and not only them, I could add guys like Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec) but I can tell you without a doubt that they all work extremely hard every night. If our most skilled players would work like those guys, we would be inside a playoff spot at the moment. Hec, give me a full team of guys with Plekanec attitude and we would be damn good at the moment.

If I come back to the media case, I can say that their job at not easy. They need to cover the Habs when the Habs management are almost never talking to them. The Habs are drawing so much attention here in Quebec, I can't understand why Gainey refuse to give at least a little feedback.

You saw what Jacques Martin did? He send a personnal letter to every season ticket holder, explaining to them why he trade Todd Bertuzzi. I am not asking the same thing in Montreal but why can't he just explain, 5 mins, just 5 mins after the trade deadline, why he decide to trade Rivet and why he decide to keep Souray.

Why the Habs expelled Maurice Richards from the organisation? Why the Habs expelled a guy like Guy Lafleur? Because one time, just one time they talk against the organisation.

I heard a radio interview earlier today where Rejean Tremblay explained that one day Pat Burns got caught by a cop while he was driving drunk. The cop decide to take care of him and didn't arrest him. The media never heard of the story, until one day the Habs organisation send a ''mise en demeure'' to every newspapers, saying that they would sue them if they would publish that story. But the media didn't even know that the story exist.

Just think one second how hard it is hard for a media to cover the canadians.

RDS need to be extremely positive with the Habs, they need to negociate a other TV contract next year and Radio-Canada ( and even TVA) will try to diffuse some Habs games and if RDS lose the Habs TV contract, they will love a major part of their income. So RDS will just do and say what the Habs management want to heard and they will defend them like they would defend their own lives.

The others sports medias (TQS sport section, La Presse, Le Journal de Montréal, The Gazette, CKAC , TEAM 990, etc...) what do you think they can do? The Habs management are almost never talking to them , with two exceptions, the press conference at the end of the season and the golf tournement at the beginning of the season.

So they have two choices, either they work on the stories coming from RDS or they work their own stories. CKAC doesn't have the same restriction as RDS since there is no competition for the radiophonic game description.

So they try to gather feedback where they can, they try to find stories relate to the hockey club. If you think that they are just trying to be sentionnalism, just imagine what they could have say about outside hockey stories involving Chris Cheelios, Mike Ribeiro, Jose Theodore etc...

I am sure that if a story finally hit the newspapers, their source are very solid.

The problem is that you , the ''heavy fan'', you only want to heard positive story. You want to heard that Andrei Kostistyn is the next Marian Hossa. You want to heard that our team is the best in the league and will easily do the playoff every year. You want to heard that Carbo is the best coach, that Gainey is the best GM, that the Habs are the best organisation in the league and every habs players are great human being who would give their own lives for their team.

The problem is that writing this is not a journalist a job. A newspaper is not a fan club. A radio is a not a fan club. A journalist is a not fan club president. Their job is to critize! Bottom line!

Trust me, I really love the Habs. I love the Habs and hockey like any sports on earth. I have habs stuff around me since I am on this planet. But it doesn't stop me from thinking and I won't bash for weeks a newspaper because it negative toward the Habs. I won't send a hatefull e-mail to a journalist who is working on a story that I don't like. Those guys are doing their job and THEY HAVE THE RIGHT to do so.

The Habs organisation is not perfect. The players are not perfect. The Omerta inside the Habs organisation is far from being a perfect thinking. Carbo , Gainey , Muller are not perfect. And when you do mistakes and you are a public figure, guess what, it might be in the newspapers soon.And no one is asking them to be perfect.

No matter what will happen, I will always love the Habs. But let get realism for a second. Andrei Kostistyn is probably not the next Marian Hossa. Alexei Kovalev never had a good season since he left Pittsburg. Saku Koivu can't be competitive in a 82 games schedules, due to many diseases and injuries. We don't have a etablished impact player at the moment. There is a lot of team who are better than us in the NHL at the moment. Our last 1 pt per game player left in 1997 and he is now retired (Damphousse). We didn't pass the second round of the playoff since 1993. We had one of the most desastrous Habs edition in the early 2000's.

When you are a journalist and you need to live with those facts everyday, you can't always be positive toward the Habs success. And when you are covering something who is the ''main event'' in the province of Quebec, you better have a lot of stuff to talk about every day.

Anyway it was just my two cents. Thanks for the long read.

Last edited by Cyrrus147: 03-07-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Fozz

There's only one way to fix this problem with the media and, as difficult as it seems to be, it's rather quite simple:
Put a winning team on the ice!
When the team wins, everything's perfect in the press world.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
They should put a better team on the ice... That will solve all the problems.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:39 AM
As the Glorious Weep

I personally don't see the point of post-game interviews since all you get is the same cliched response every single time.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Bob should just keep doing what he's doing. Stay quiet and get the media all worked up so they continue to make ****ing fools out of themselves.

See...I'm getting all worked up again.

Please no more media threads..
Agreed, Im convinced that part of the reason there is so much negative press towards teh tram is becasue some reporters are upset with Gainey and the team for not speaking to them.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
SunnyHab

Do people actually think that Demeres and Benoit Brunet actually have Journalistic or media credentials. They are only there to promot themeselves as former Habs who know the game of hockey. This happens in football also in the states. But I find the football players know alot more about the sport than Brunet when they speak.

SunnyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch

put on the ice a winning team?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
New Jersey (I think) does not allow the media into the room, and they just pay the fines.
Sounds good to me.. Profit in playoffs > loss in fines

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post

put on the ice a winning team?

+1

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Kafka

The Montreal Canadians need the medias, just like politicians need the medias during a campain. How many private corporation can be covered like a sport team? Not many. Still, it doesn't allow the sport team to control each thing that will get published.

We now see all journals in Montreal covering the Habs agreeing with LaPresse. Les Canadiens are trying to deny de news, and in fact, I don't know how they could do something different. Still, by saying the thruth, not only Kovalev would have been in trouble, but also the team itself with a ticket for a trip out of the playoffs.

The press isn't there for propaganda, and you should be glad about it. Yes Montreal can act like they did in the past and put journalists out of a plane. In the end, you will have journalists covering the habs as long as people will buy adds in the journals, thinking those articles are read.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
The problem is that writing this is not a journalist a job. A newspaper is not a fan club. A radio is a not a fan club. A journalist is a not fan club president. Their job is to critize! Bottom line!
Most of your post was pointless; but this is just stupid. A journalist's job is to REPORT FACTS WITHOUT BIAS. Good news or bad news, it doesn't matter. As long as a story is true, it's fair game.

The problem is that most of the writers who have weighed in on this have shown a clear bias. Especially a bias against Kovalev that was there before the "story" ever broke.

The fact is Montreal is cursed with a lot of very poor sports journalists who don't do their jobs reporting facts. The "insights" they offer are little more than thinly-veiled attempts to attack players they personally dislike, or on a slow day, stir up controversy by playing on their audiences' biases: pro-french, anti-french, anti-euro, etc. etc.

It's all about selling more papers in Montreal, not reporting facts. You're being lied to, and eating it up.

FOX News does a better job of reporting objective, factual news on the US-Iraq War than the hockey scribes at LaPresse.

Here's where I get flamed big time: The psyche of the general "pure-laine" crowd, thoughout 400 years of history, has rarely allowed for objectivity or reason to win over passion, emotion and opinion. When it does happen, it happens big, in cases like the Quiet Revolution. To me that's what makes, and will always make, the French heritage in Quebec into a distinct society. Only in small parts of North America (like the Bible Belt) can you find such a phenomenon. It makes Quebec distinct from Canada and there exists a little of it in franco communities outside Quebec. The very language that's spoken reinforces this.

It's also one of the reasons that Quebecois hockey players are so driven, so passionate and so much fun to watch. I'm not bashing the fact, but I'm calling it out. Sometimes it's a force for good, sometimes for bad (ya beaucoup plus de racisme, par example, a travers La Belle Province). For example, when a Quebecois(e) sees an innocent in need of help, there is no more noble and heroic creature. Quebec is a place where people have such large Hearts that sometimes not enough energy is going to the brain before the mouth opens.

In this case the sports writers are feeling it, and in turn using it, in a bad way: to inflame passions, sell newspapers, and cause people united (fans of the CH) to take sides. That's why LaPresse is in the wrong. They are cynically playing on an aspect of culture to make more money at the expense of their meal ticket.

So when people say it's as bad elsewhere, don't ignore the special character of Quebec that makes this a special circumstance.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Wow you guys are so scary sometime.

It wierd because everyone is wrong EXCEPT the Habs management. The sports analysts, the medias, the newspapers, CKAC, TEAM 990, all of them are only living to destroy the Habs .

Those guys find stories, report them when they are credible. They are doing their job. You guys act like no one should attack the Habs, no one should talk against the Habs, no one should talk against the Habs players and no one should say that the Habs won't make the playoff.

Plus there is a strong francophone bashing on those boards, it kinda sad when you realise that the Habs are playing in a province where 80% of the population is francophone.

You guys are giving God without confession to players who didn't even score 20 goals in the NHL (perezhogin, kostistyn) but you keep bashing a guy like Latendresse who is our most physical forwards when most of the guys of his age are playing in the junior. And he is only 2 goals away from Kovalev, our superstar who is often playing the full duration of the PP! I agree that Bouillon is having a tough year but he never fully recovered from his knee injury and despity his efforts every night, he seems to have lost a lot of confidence.

I am not over protecting our local players (and not only them, I could add guys like Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec) but I can tell you without a doubt that they all work extremely hard every night. If our most skilled players would work like those guys, we would be inside a playoff spot at the moment. Hec, give me a full team of guys with Plekanec attitude and we would be damn good at the moment.

If I come back to the media case, I can say that their job at not easy. They need to cover the Habs when the Habs management are almost never talking to them. The Habs are drawing so much attention here in Quebec, I can't understand why Gainey refuse to give at least a little feedback.

You saw what Jacques Martin did? He send a personnal letter to every season ticket holder, explaining to them why he trade Todd Bertuzzi. I am not asking the same thing in Montreal but why can't he just explain, 5 mins, just 5 mins after the trade deadline, why he decide to trade Rivet and why he decide to keep Souray.

Why the Habs expelled Maurice Richards from the organisation? Why the Habs expelled a guy like Guy Lafleur? Because one time, just one time they talk against the organisation.

I heard a radio interview earlier today where Rejean Tremblay explained that one day Pat Burns got caught by a cop while he was driving drunk. The cop decide to take care of him and didn't arrest him. The media never heard of the story, until one day the Habs organisation send a ''mise en demeure'' to every newspapers, saying that they would sue them if they would publish that story. But the media didn't even know that the story exist.

Just think one second how hard it is hard for a media to cover the canadians.

RDS need to be extremely positive with the Habs, they need to negociate a other TV contract next year and Radio-Canada ( and even TVA) will try to diffuse some Habs games and if RDS lose the Habs TV contract, they will love a major part of their income. So RDS will just do and say what the Habs management want to heard and they will defend them like they would defend their own lives.

The others sports medias (TQS sport section, La Presse, Le Journal de Montréal, The Gazette, CKAC , TEAM 990, etc...) what do you think they can do? The Habs management are almost never talking to them , with two exceptions, the press conference at the end of the season and the golf tournement at the beginning of the season.

So they have two choices, either they work on the stories coming from RDS or they work their own stories. CKAC doesn't have the same restriction as RDS since there is no competition for the radiophonic game description.

So they try to gather feedback where they can, they try to find stories relate to the hockey club. If you think that they are just trying to be sentionnalism, just imagine what they could have say about outside hockey stories involving Chris Cheelios, Mike Ribeiro, Jose Theodore etc...

I am sure that if a story finally hit the newspapers, their source are very solid.

The problem is that you , the ''heavy fan'', you only want to heard positive story. You want to heard that Andrei Kostistyn is the next Marian Hossa. You want to heard that our team is the best in the league and will easily do the playoff every year. You want to heard that Carbo is the best coach, that Gainey is the best GM, that the Habs are the best organisation in the league and every habs players are great human being who would give their own lives for their team.

Trust me, I really love the Habs. I love the Habs and hockey like any sports on earth. I have habs stuff around me since I am on this planet. But it doesn't stop me from thinking and I won't bash for weeks a newspaper because it negative toward the Habs. I won't send a hatefull e-mail to a journalist who is working on a story that I don't like. Those guys are doing their job and THEY HAVE THE RIGHT to do so.

The Habs organisation is not perfect. The players are not perfect. The Omerta inside the Habs organisation is far from being a perfect thinking. Carbo , Gainey , Muller are not perfect. And when you do mistakes and you are a public figure, guess what, it might be in the newspapers soon.And no one is asking them to be perfect.

No matter what will happen, I will always love the Habs. But let get realism for a second. Andrei Kostistyn is probably not the next Marian Hossa. Alexei Kovalev never had a good season since he left Pittsburg. Saku Koivu can't be competitive in a 82 games schedules, due to many diseases and injuries. We don't have a etablished impact player at the moment. There is a lot of team who are better than us in the NHL at the moment. Our last 1 pt per game player left in 1997 and he is now retired (Damphousse). We didn't pass the second round of the playoff since 1993. We had one of the most desastrous Habs edition in the early 2000's.

When you are a journalist and you need to live with those facts everyday, you can't always be positive toward the Habs success. And when you are covering something who is the ''main event'' in the province of Quebec, you better have a lot of stuff to talk about every day.

Anyway it was just my two cents. Thanks for the long read.
All i can say is AMEN

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
+1
You don't find his remark just a tad glib? Not exactly atypical for him.

A single season removed from winning the Cup (a season in which the Habs finished 3rd in the NE with 96 pts) Guy Carbonneau was traded for giving a member of the press the finger while golfing in the off-season. Point being, icing a decent team does not keep the media wolves at bay.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
AH

The best thing they can do is fold the team / move them elsewhere.

This will turn these pyrannas into pan handlers. They will be scraping dirt off the street just to survive.

That will teach 'em how good they had it. What a nice gig they had covering a loved team by millions.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I concur that nothing will keep them at bay. Never has, never will. I just think that the individuals within this amorphous mass we refer to as "the media" should be held accountable for what they write by the Habs organisation. Some of the articles that Brunet and Tremblay have recently written, for example, have really taken on tones of personal attack against Gainey and some of the players.

You'll never stop "the media" as a whole from continuing to run wild with the Habs, because the bottom line is there are paying customers who want that quantity and style of coverage.

But I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens should roll out any welcome mats for those specific individuals who cross the line. Who they deem to cross the line, that is, based on whatever their own criteria for line crossing is. I put people on my ignore list, people put me on their ignore list here, I think it's fair for the Habs organization to have its own "ignore list" for the media. Won't stop some of the more rabid types from spouting nonsense, but at least it sets a standard which some others might try to meet, since there has to be *some* advantage for a journalist covering the Habs to not be "ignored" by the organization.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I concur that nothing will keep them at bay. Never has, never will. I just think that the individuals within this amorphous mass we refer to as "the media" should be held accountable for what they write by the Habs organisation. Some of the articles that Brunet and Tremblay have recently written, for example, have really taken on tones of personal attack against Gainey and some of the players.

You'll never stop "the media" as a whole from continuing to run wild with the Habs, because the bottom line is there are paying customers who want that quantity and style of coverage.

But I don't see why the Montreal Canadiens should roll out any welcome mats for those specific individuals who cross the line. Who they deem to cross the line, that is, based on whatever their own criteria for line crossing is. I put people on my ignore list, people put me on their ignore list here, I think it's fair for the Habs organization to have its own "ignore list" for the media. Won't stop some of the more rabid types from spouting nonsense, but at least it sets a standard which some others might try to meet, since there has to be *some* advantage for a journalist covering the Habs to not be "ignored" by the organization.
I think the Canadiens (read management) will deal with the media in their usual fashion. I don't think that they will "blacklist" any particular news outlets or individual reporters. The players are a different story, the NHL requires that the Clubs make players available to the press, but that does not mean the players have to say anything. I think the scrum reporting will still generate it's share of hockey clichés/news, but players will likely watch what they say or offer the handy no comment. Individual interviews will likely taper off in frequency and will be conducted only with the "respected" members of the media.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
A really long thought out post was here.
Thanks for the update Brunet.
Down with "The Organization"
Down with "The Godfather"
And long live the Habs

A reporter is supposed to present without bias, not state his opinion or criticize. That's what a columnist does.
After last years Koivu incident and now this one, it does feel like something has to be done to protect the players sanity. I wouldn't be able to stand it if some guy kept writing about how I type my reports or how long my coffee break is.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
There seems to be a total lack of perspective on these boards. As if somehow, the reasons the Habs are crumbling is the media's fault. I think a lot of fans here are looking for a scapegoat. Yet the Habs started to suck around Christmas and this Kovalev controversy just broke out a few days ago.

Gainey and Boivin wouldn't gain much by restricting access to the media. When you think about it, the Kovalev controversy wasn't caused by the Habs allowing access to the media.

We are in North America. Freedom of speech, freedom of information. People want coverage of their favorite team. They like hearing what the coach has to say, get players interviews and the like.

Not giving the press access means not getting the players side of the story. It means relying on guesswork or secondary sources, which is, ironically, exactly what happened in the Kovalev story. A story which has you guys all hilariously worked up.

Overall, I think the overabundance of media is just proof that the Habs have a healthy, thriving market.
Excellent point. Good to see you post again.

There is still a lot of backlash because Gainey restricted access to the plane for journalists. Since every team in the league had that policy Gainey had to comply in an effort to offer the same advatanges to players wanting to come to Montreal.

The only effective way to deal with aggressive media is exactly what BG is doing now, not bite. There is no 2 words Gainey can say that won't be analysed every wich way. The journalists not only have to answer to the team but more importantly to the readers.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Kafka

Quote:

My innability to write well in english prevents me from posting posts like yours. Thanks for pointing out your nose again on this board.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
They should put a better team on the ice... That will solve all the problems.
Can they put a better team of journalist too?

Not that it will necessarily improve the Habs... but it would be much more fun to listen to smart journalists as opposed to Bergeron and other ding dongs like that.

I mean those guys, they hardly have any logic at all, and can not carry much of an analysis.

It's like a team of bad 4th line players, that have no skills, can't skate, can't pass, can't see the big picture, and that makes bunch of mistakes.

There has to be some skilled journalists out there with some great intelligence???

Anyway, that would make things so much more fun.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Most of your post was pointless; but this is just stupid. A journalist's job is to REPORT FACTS WITHOUT BIAS. Good news or bad news, it doesn't matter. As long as a story is true, it's fair game.
Well, you are right as far as information pieces are concerned. The thing is, a large part of what makes the media today is opinion pieces. Columnists, analysts and the like. Montreal did not invent opinion pieces. They are prevalent in every newspaper and every TV station. They are usually clearly labelled as such but unfortunately, the lines have been blurred somewhat to make information "entertaining".

Quote:
The problem is that most of the writers who have weighed in on this have shown a clear bias. Especially a bias against Kovalev that was there before the "story" ever broke.

The fact is Montreal is cursed with a lot of very poor sports journalists who don't do their jobs reporting facts. The "insights" they offer are little more than thinly-veiled attempts to attack players they personally dislike,
Again, this is not unique to montreal. It's everywhere.

And there wasn't a "bias" against Kovalev before the story broke. Face it, he just hasn't played consistently well since his arrival with the team. In fact, an arguement could be made that most of the time, he sucks. This is made worse by an extremely high salary, his superstar status and his nonchalant attitude. Of course he's on the radar! That's what a star UFA will be anywhere. He certainly didn't help his cause with an incident such as the weird "ouch, my wrist... I'm gonna bump into Souray and let the other team score" stunt.

Pretty much all Kovalev can bring to a team is scoring. He is a pure scoring high-profile forward... and currently not even a top 100 forward in scoring in the NHL! That's just brutal, bordering on theft.

And it's not just a media thing. How many times have you heard Carbonneau this year say something like "our veterans need to do more"? I've heard that tune several times and it is clear that Kovalev is one of the prime targets of such comments.

Quote:
So when people say it's as bad elsewhere, don't ignore the special character of Quebec that makes this a special circumstance.
Meh... I don't know. I think people get worked up pretty well by Kypreos, Healy, McGuire, Larry Brooks, Cherry and so on...

The way I see it, La Presse clearly divided the content of the Kovalev coverage into two different kinds. News and opinions. Mathias Brunet reported (accurately) a translation of an interview that appeared in a Russian magazine. Now, if that interview has been fabricated in part, that's the fault of the Russian magazine. La Presse asked the magazine about it and then reported it. They clearly identified the source. That's news.

Guys like Rejean Tremblay or Gagnon giving their opinions is another matter entirely. Just like other media of opinions in Quebec. Villeneuve and so on. It's the same thing everywhere. There are sport shows on Fox and every other channels where loudmouths go at it.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
mcphee

At one point in the early 70's, Serge Savard suggested keeping the media out of the room, and in fact, not communicate with them at all. Henri Richard told Savard that they were just doing their jobs. Savard suggested Richard should engage them in sexual relations if he liked them so much Richard slapped Savard across the face and the media continued their access.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote