HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Gazette now backs La Presse too!

Old
03-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Thinkaboutthat

vCash: 500
The Gazette now backs La Presse too!

Now The Gazette backs La Presse 100% this morning in Jack Todd's column. And Kovalev recognized to his teammates yesterday that he did give that interview. And oh yeah, the article in the russian paper is signed by the same person who conducted the interview.

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Courtnall6

This whole thing is just stupid. The media has nothing better to write about right now. I wish they would just drop it.

Courtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:07 AM
mcphee

Maybe I'm nit picking, maybe I'm a fussy old fart, but the Gazette didn't back anything. One columnist did. He doesn't speak for anyone other than himself. That's kind of like the way we throw around 'the french media'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Thinkaboutthat

McPhee, it's worth noting that Todd is the only one who wrote about the story for the Gazette...

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
MathMan

And he used that bogus "only someone who has travelled with the team and is familiar with its inner workings could come up with all these things that seem ripped right off the HF boards" tripe, too. Sigh.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Giddens

I'm not surprised. Reporters will support each other. Todd and Brunet might be good friends but he would support him even they are not friends because it became a debate about ethics in the profession. Just like doctors don't critize other doctors, even, in some cases, after a blatant medical error.

Giddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Oh boy, the bastion of journalistic excellence known as Jack Todd is backing a story...it MUST be true now!

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddens View Post
I'm not surprised. Reporters will support each other. Todd and Brunet might be good friends but he would support him even they are not friends because it became a debate about ethics in the profession. Just like doctors don't critize other doctors, even, in some cases, after a blatant medical error.
But... but...I thought it was a "French media" thing

Plus, I think the media community has been rather split on this. There is a long tradition of rivalries between newspapers and they aren't afraid to show competitors in a bad light. Sports are definitly no exception. So nope, I don't believe Jack Todd is backing Brunet and co. simply for the sake of solidarity. I think he believes La Presse.

Personally, I'd like for a 3rd party source to get access to the damn tapes. Until then, I think the story as it appeared in the Russian article is probably a mix of truths and embellishments.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:42 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post
McPhee, it's worth noting that Todd is the only one who wrote about the story for the Gazette...
Zurkowski has written about it in his beat stories this week, thougfh briefly. I doubt anyone at the Gazette decided to let Jack speak for them.

Old
03-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Zurkowski has written about it in his beat stories this week, thougfh briefly. I doubt anyone at the Gazette decided to let Jack speak for them.
I wonder if we are going to get a "The Gazette : a serious newspaper?" thread now ?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
But... but...I thought it was a "French media" thing

Personally, I'd like for a 3rd party source to get access to the damn tapes. Until then, I think the story as it appeared in the Russian article is probably a mix of truths and embellishments.
Is the National Geographic talk about this important event ? Even if i am a french speaker , i trust them more than 110 %

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I wonder if we are going to get a "The Gazette : a serious newspaper?" thread now ?
really serious . As much as the Reader's digest

Old
03-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

So Todd is now part of the french-media-mafia and is a pro-franco for reporting this?

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:01 AM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
So Todd is now part of the french-media-mafia and is a pro-franco for reporting this?
No ! dodoyou mean that hehe can be ....can be ..a dangerous separatist ???

Old
03-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by milou View Post
No ! dodoyou mean that hehe can be ....can be ..a dangerous separatist ???

Maybe!!!!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:08 AM
CaptCrunch

Just listen to some of the russian members of the board (i.e.: Slitty, Kaiser) if you want a "3rd party opinion".

For my part, its not even a debate. He did say those things and the habs organisation made a great attempt at deception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Interesting. So it's not a tabloid and the journalist is pretty well respected? In an interview Kovy said the newspaper was a "yellow-paper" and only came out once a week and not many people read it.
- It's not tabloid.
- I'm not sure about journalist but author has his own show at most popular radio station here "Mayak" - if i'm not mistaken.
- It's not "yellow paper".
- Yes, he is right it comes out once in a week but it's because of quality of their materials - I like it a lot, not lame things every day like some others...
- Yes, Sport-Express and Soviet Sport has more readers but they write about all sport scene, while Football-Hockey (former All Hockey) write only about Hockey and Football and does it a lot better, Imo.

Now I see it, for myself at least, after numbers of interviews for this newspaper, Kovalev is trying to save his face and doing it in a very bad way...

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what this even means anymore. La Presse always seemed to be admired by anglos, though usually by people that never read it. The Gazette, I go through it every morning, leaves me wanting more information. I don't read thru editorials much, so I can't say much about political biase. Their news seems to lack something, stories don't get fleshed out, if that makes sense.

They seem best at features, or human interst stuff. I think the ideal or standard we had of papers is gone.

I know you were more refering to how we perceive the paper, but still. Ask me whether J de M is more or less credible than LaP. and I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap. I don't read either. That's why I like to treat stuff individually

Old
03-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
"I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap."
The motto of the Montreal media, at large, expressed by board elder McPhee here, you guys.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what this even means anymore. La Presse always seemed to be admired by anglos, though usually by people that never read it. The Gazette, I go through it every morning, leaves me wanting more information. I don't read thru editorials much, so I can't say much about political biase. Their news seems to lack something, stories don't get fleshed out, if that makes sense.

They seem best at features, or human interst stuff. I think the ideal or standard we had of papers is gone.

I know you were more refering to how we perceive the paper, but still. Ask me whether J de M is more or less credible than LaP. and I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap. I don't read either. That's why I like to treat stuff individually
With your permission, I'd like to adopt that as my motto.

As for the papers, I read all three on a more or less regular yet sporadic basis. You want sports : JDM. You want (generally)reliable info + great graphics : La Presse, they have a lot of Habs coverage, but more opinion pieces than straight news. As for The Gaz, as you pointed out, Jack Todd is hardly the spokesman for the Gazette's editorial board. Todd seems to feed on (and feed) any kind of feud between journalists and rarely if ever gets an original thought. In other words, he picks up on something written in La P. or JDM - if he agrees, he doesn't mention his "inspiration"; if he doesn't, he'll make sure to name the other guy and generally try to discredit him. I often wonder what name he goes under here on HF... As for the rest of them, Pat Hickey is lazy and you'll often find factual errors in what he's written. Not worth reading, IMO. Red Fisher, again IMHO, should have retired years ago and writeen a book, so that we could be spared his "cranky old man" routine.

So, in answer to my own question : Is the Gazette a serious newspaper, I would answer that you shouldn't base your opinion of a news source on it's sports coverage. Sports is not serious, hockey is just a game and sports "journalism" is entertainment.

(Cripes, talk about long-winded, but as has already been said, I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap)

Old
03-07-2007, 08:54 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:

So, in answer to my own question : Is the Gazette a serious newspaper, I would answer that you shouldn't base your opinion of a news source on it's sports coverage. Sports is not serious, hockey is just a game and sports "journalism" is entertainment.

(Cripes, talk about long-winded, but as has already been said, I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap)
Interesting posts by the elders of Habs Board. I never thought the Gaz too serious, in contrast to the Globe and Mail, but I'm spoiled here with a subscription to International Herald Tribune. Moreover, it turns out that every day IHT has 3 quotes from papers around the world in its editorial section (Other Views - Opinions from Around the World), and the Montreal Gazette is occasionally one of them .

Anyhow, it's hilarious from my perspective to see Montreal papers and readership get excited over a declaration like this. My feeling is that Kovalev did say what is being attributed to him and is in damage control mode. I hope that the spotlight on him compels him to shift into 5th gear and make something of this season.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Turbo

Quote:
I would answer that you shouldn't base your opinion of a news source on it's sports coverage. Sports is not serious, hockey is just a game and sports "journalism" is entertainment.
Your strong but crappy opinion makes a lot of sense. Wish more people would realize that. On the other hand, being passionate fans, I guess we can all be forgiven when we get carried away from time to time. Just good to ground yourself afterwards and remember sports & sports journalism = entertainment = not serious.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Kafka

Great, I am happy to see ALL journalists standing right and leaving personnal interests asside. Journalists are IMO the ones we should have the most confidence in.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Great, I am happy to see ALL journalists standing right and leaving personnal interests asside. Journalists are IMO the ones we should have the most confidence in.
... after our elected leaders, of course.

Old
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Journalists are IMO the ones we should have the most confidence in.
I wish, but they don't deserve it.

IMO, it's very unwise to take any sport journalist's words without a suitably-sized grain of salt. As this whole fiasco demonstrates (regardless of its veracity), they all have their agendas, biases, and personal interests.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Pretty strange though that when the story was that La Presse might have been wrong, not a lot of newspaperse were backing them, and not that the topic deviate to the press in general and the fact that THEY might be a reason for players not to come in, everybody's backing up everybody......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote