HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Gazette now backs La Presse too!

Old
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wish, but they don't deserve it.

IMO, it's very unwise to take any sport journalist's words without a suitably-sized grain of salt. As this whole fiasco demonstrates (regardless of its veracity), they all have their agendas, biases, and personal interests.
I think there's different kinds of people. You have the columnist who when they give their opinion, it's just that, an opinion. But I would be tempted to believe the guys that are close to the team, isn't it what we're saying to posters, that how would they know "'cause they're not close to the team"????

I don't believe that regular liars in this business would go far and if somebody come with the Bergeron's name, obviously he's not a journalist, he's an entertainer, so he doesn't fit in this category. But then if people are dumb enough to take everything "entertainers" say seriously, it's their problem, not the "entertainers"....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Garo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Journalists are IMO the ones we should have the most confidence in.
... What?

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Does Jack have the tapes??

I'm sorry. There's still no proof. Jack Todd is hardly Mr. Credibility either. He never liked Kovalev anyways.

This media in this city is pathetic. There's an election in 2 weeks but the biggest story is some internet transcript of an interview that never took place by a Russian hockey player.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
MoonlightGraham

So now can we stop criticizing only the FRENCH media and criticize the Montreal media in general?

I have nothing against criticizing the media, I just don't like it when people say it's only the french media that's a problem.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Erik Estrada

Mike Boone on the online Gazette puckcast (volume 1, number 12 (podcast) also casts doubts on Kovalev's assertions.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
So now can we stop criticizing only the FRENCH media and criticize the Montreal media in general?

I have nothing against criticizing the media, I just don't like it when people say it's only the french media that's a problem.
Yes..feel free to start criticizing both the French and English media.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yes..feel free to start criticizing both the French and English media.
That's what I was already doing.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Judge Sauer*

Pulled from the Canadiens forum:

Can anyone confirm this?

"http://www.football-hockey.ru/news/2...in_67421.shtml

New article about Kovy. In brief it says that Brune has been fabricating the story with the help of ex "Soviet Sport" journalist Elena Bochershvilli. They also ask for an extensive interview with Mr Brune and would like to ask him what motivates him to attempt to fraud the public and ruin Mr. Kovalev reputation. The writer also stated that when they met Mr. Brune in Montreal they found him to be adequately intelligent journalist, so they view his actions as a surprise. They also talk about certain french media tendencies to make up stories about players and chase them out of town and saying that hardly anyone wants to play under such scrutiny.

Not precise translation but you get the gist of it."

Went through Google translation, seems about right.

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 03-07-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:52 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro oop007 View Post

Can anyone confirm this?

New article about Kovy. In brief it says that Brune has been fabricating the story with the help of ex "Soviet Sport" journalist Elena Bochershvilli. They also ask for an extensive interview with Mr Brune and would like to ask him what motivates him to attempt to fraud the public and ruin Mr. Kovalev reputation. The writer also stated that when they met Mr. Brune in Montreal they found him to be adequately intelligent journalist, so they view his actions as a surprise. They also talk about certain french media tendencies to make up stories about players and chase them out of town and saying that hardly anyone wants to play under such scrutiny.

I ran it through translation and it seems right to be as well.

Old
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
When the English media actually starts one of these unfounded rumors and devotes their entire sports section to it, maybe. Sorry but just because Jack Todd wrote an editorial giving his opinion on the ordeal two or three days after the fact doesn't mean the blame is now equally spread around.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:

Can anyone confirm this?

Fabricating the story?

Its the exact translation of their own article! I can't believe it! Lol!

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
When the English media actually starts one of these unfounded rumors and devotes their entire sports section to it, maybe. Sorry but just because Jack Todd wrote an editorial giving his opinion on the ordeal two or three days after the fact doesn't mean the blame is now equally spread around.
Yes, by all means, let's continue to generalize, in other words.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Yes, by all means, let's continue to generalize, in other words.
Where's the generalization? La Presse did "break" an unconfirmed report and attacked Kovalev's character while being unable to provide proof that such a thing was warranted, right? And they did devote their entire sports section to this report, right? And the English media did not, right? Have I gotten any part of this chronology wrong so far?

I'm not saying that ALL French media relating to ANY topics is fallible, that's ridiculous. I'm talking specifically about the Kovalev incident.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I say move this damned trade deadline back 3 weeks, that way next year we'll be able to at least have rediculous speculation about trades rather than stories about...well, stories.

Blame the media, blame the government, blame the corporations. (You know what Chris Rock has to say about the media right?) It's fun to see everything as a soulless entity that you're powerless to control. It's been the same for eons...your crops don't grow, pick an entity and blame it. Might as well sacrifice a poster to the hockey gods in order to get the Habs into the playoffs.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
I say move this damned trade deadline back 3 weeks, that way next year we'll be able to at least have rediculous speculation about trades rather than stories about...well, stories.

Blame the media, blame the government, blame the corporations. It's fun to see everything as a soulless entity that you're powerless to control. It's been the same for eons...your crops don't grow, pick an entity and blame it. Might as well sacrifice a poster to the hockey gods in order to get the Habs into the playoffs.
That would be so cool, I bet we'd be the only team doing that.

Old
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Turbo

Quote:

Can anyone confirm this?

Oh, this is good.... basically boils down to a fabrication loop, so much weirdness my head will explode.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Does Jack have the tapes??

I'm sorry. There's still no proof. Jack Todd is hardly Mr. Credibility either. He never liked Kovalev anyways.

This media in this city is pathetic. There's an election in 2 weeks but the biggest story is some internet transcript of an interview that never took place by a Russian hockey player.
Agreed.

Meanwhile, all I hear about on the campaign trail is things like Homophobia and what movie* or food* Dumont likes..

What about the budget, education, healthcare, a possible referendum???

* By the way, its "La grande séduction" and "Scezchuan cuisine"

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Agreed.

Meanwhile, all I hear about on the campaign trail is things like Homophobia and what movie* or food* Dumont likes..

What about the budget, education, healthcare, a possible referendum???

* By the way, its "La grande séduction" and "Scezchuan cuisine"
If you read something other than the JDM, you'll get more news on the election. For instance, you'll get more of a "débat de fond" in Le Devoir. Also, I find that RDI are doing a good job, even though the candidates have not helped much in elevating the level of debate.

Old
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Keep in mind here.

The Russian magazine that originally published the interview, that La Presse is blindly backing with no proof....

Is now denouncing La Presse for making the whole thing up, despite their publishing of the interview in the first place!

THIS is the "credible paper" that Gagnon is risking his reputation on????

Old
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
AD

Quote:
If you read something other than the JDM, you'll get more news on the election. For instance, you'll get more of a "débat de fond" in Le Devoir. Also, I find that RDI are doing a good job, even though the candidates have not helped much in elevating the level of debate.
I'd love to get Le Devoir, but my dollar a day for news has to buy me editorials, politics AND sports.

Thank God for RDI...

Old
03-07-2007, 11:02 AM
mcphee

Quote:
With your permission, I'd like to adopt that as my motto.

As for the papers, I read all three on a more or less regular yet sporadic basis. You want sports : JDM. You want (generally)reliable info + great graphics : La Presse, they have a lot of Habs coverage, but more opinion pieces than straight news. As for The Gaz, as you pointed out, Jack Todd is hardly the spokesman for the Gazette's editorial board. Todd seems to feed on (and feed) any kind of feud between journalists and rarely if ever gets an original thought. In other words, he picks up on something written in La P. or JDM - if he agrees, he doesn't mention his "inspiration"; if he doesn't, he'll make sure to name the other guy and generally try to discredit him. I often wonder what name he goes under here on HF... As for the rest of them, Pat Hickey is lazy and you'll often find factual errors in what he's written. Not worth reading, IMO. Red Fisher, again IMHO, should have retired years ago and writeen a book, so that we could be spared his "cranky old man" routine.

So, in answer to my own question : Is the Gazette a serious newspaper, I would answer that you shouldn't base your opinion of a news source on it's sports coverage. Sports is not serious, hockey is just a game and sports "journalism" is entertainment.

(Cripes, talk about long-winded, but as has already been said, I have a strong opinion, but I'm full of crap)
I also like, esp. when talking about my wife, 'she's not always right but never uncertain' That's an actual quote but I've butchered it somehow. Geez, if the cranky old man routine goes out of style, I'll have to develop new schtick. [Sorry,didn't mean to offend anyone with Yiddish expression]

Fisher is best at feature writing at this point, but he pretty well just does his Saturday column now. The Boone column alongside Fisher's, that mocks him, is pretty funny.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I also like, esp. when talking about my wife, 'she's not always right but never uncertain' That's an actual quote but I've butchered it somehow.
What?

Are you on the juice again?

Old
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I also like, esp. when talking about my wife, 'she's not always right but never uncertain' That's an actual quote but I've butchered it somehow. Geez, if the cranky old man routine goes out of style, I'll have to develop new schtick. [Sorry,didn't mean to offend anyone with Yiddish expression]

Fisher is best at feature writing at this point, but he pretty well just does his Saturday column now. The Boone column alongside Fisher's, that mocks him, is pretty funny.
Wouldn't want to contradick you, but Fisher still does the game write-up when the habs play at home. Maybe not all of them, but I do recall seeing them this year. Between you and me, it's not that hard and he's written enough of them, he probably just grunts a few observations and his typewriter does the rest.

Old
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
But... but...I thought it was a "French media" thing
Ha ha ! That's funny !

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Keep in mind here.

The Russian magazine that originally published the interview, that La Presse is blindly backing with no proof....

Is now denouncing La Presse for making the whole thing up, despite their publishing of the interview in the first place!

THIS is the "credible paper" that Gagnon is risking his reputation on????
This russian paper has probably a lot to lose: nhl players interviews and maybe more.

You might not be aware of the press condition in Russia, nor by the presence of the tantacules of the russian mafia in sports, but if you can read or listen about it, you might get a clearer picture of how things are going there.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote