HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The positives of playing/living in Edmonton.

Old
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
ThePhoenixx

vCash: 500
The positives of playing/living in Edmonton.

I posted something like this in another thread, but thought it deserved its own due to the uninformed bashing thrown Edmontons' way. Others have revelled in posting the negatives, so I thought a positive thread was in order.

Let us take a look at some of the positives.

Great tax structure
Great schools
Great culture
Great fan support
Support for a new arena
Great dressing room atmosphere
Great spring, summer, and fall weather.
Global warming

These are just the more general ones and I am sure I missed a few. One could add that young rich millionaire hockey players look for one thing more than any other. In Edmonton, unlike the vast majority of NHL cities, they are number #1 in that category.

But I guess it is cold in the winter and they don't plow the streets very well.

ThePhoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Raoul Duke*

Don't forget West Edmonton Mall.

Just joking.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
metallicat

I think your #'s 1 and 2 are irrelevant, or can be made irrelevant by many/most NHLers. Not really sure how the culture of the city is a selling point to NHLers either. #'s 4, 5, and 6 are definetely positives, but they are a common factor in a lot of NHL cities these days. And great weather compared to which cities exactly? I like the weather here, but a guy from the US? Probably not so much.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Bucket

But your forgot about our lovely winters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns14hRqwY8

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
AM

Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I think your #'s 1 and 2 are irrelevant, or can be made irrelevant by many/most NHLers. Not really sure how the culture of the city is a selling point to NHLers either. #'s 4, 5, and 6 are definetely positives, but they are a common factor in a lot of NHL cities these days. And great weather compared to which cities exactly? I like the weather here, but a guy from the US? Probably not so much.
will likely not kill you here.

Thats gotta be a positive.

As for the cold, indoor parking and remote start tend to take the edge off most peoples angst over it.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
dashingsilverfox*

The one thing more than anything that will hold UFA's back from signing here is (other than last year's aberration) is that most players want to play for a winner. Tha won't be the case here for a very long time. KLowe has just screw things up too badly.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFanAlways View Post
But your forgot about our lovely winters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns14hRqwY8
bryzgalov has a mental deficiency...he's just plain weird...the guy comes from russia, not exactly a tropical destination...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
ThePhoenixx

Quote:
#1 is completely relevant. It means that the player gets a bigger cheque. Just like in Florida he will get the biggest cheque of them all! No taxes!

#2 is relevant for older players with kids. Parents like their kids. Cultural activities are the same. Good for kids.

Weather is more subjective, but it is called sunny Alberta for a reason.

ThePhoenixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

The best and most knowledgeable fans in hockey.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Murphy

If I'm a pro hockey player I want to playing in Edmonton during playoff time. How cool would that be?

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:

Edmonton needs to do a much better job of promoting its cultural offerings. There are extremely healthy - and extensive - live theatre, art, music, and festival communities here, and a I'd bet the majority of Edmontonians don't know about them. As of a few years ago, at least, Edmonton had the highest per-capita number of active live theatre seats in North America. The Folk Festival is amongst the largest in North America, the Heritage Festival is the largest of it's kind in the World, and the Fringe Festival is #2 in the World. The number of Festivals (http://www.festivalcity.ca/festivalcalendar/) put on in this city is significantly disproportionate to our small size. The Winspear is an exceptional music venue, the post-renovation Jube is very, very good, and there are a number of excellent smaller venues in the area like the Arden Theatre, The Timms Centre for the Arts, etc. We also tend to punch above our weight with respect to landing the touring shows.

There is definitely no question that Edmonton is neither New York nor LA - and it's not even Toronto - but if someone is interested in arts and culture, they could do a lot worse than the 'Chuck...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:38 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
It isn't Calgary.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Edmonton needs to do a much better job of promoting its cultural offerings. There are extremely healthy - and extensive - live theatre, art, music, and festival communities here, and a I'd bet the majority of Edmontonians don't know about them. As of a few years ago, at least, Edmonton had the highest per-capita number of active live theatre seats in North America. The Folk Festival is amongst the largest in North America, the Heritage Festival is the largest of it's kind in the World, and the Fringe Festival is #2 in the World. The number of Festivals (http://www.festivalcity.ca/festivalcalendar/) put on in this city is significantly disproportionate to our small size. The Winspear is an exceptional music venue, the post-renovation Jube is very, very good, and there are a number of excellent smaller venues in the area like the Arden Theatre, The Timms Centre for the Arts, etc. We also tend to punch above our weight with respect to landing the touring shows.

There is definitely no question that Edmonton is neither New York nor LA - and it's not even Toronto - but if someone is interested in arts and culture, they could do a lot worse than the 'Chuck...
How many Oilers are here in the summer to go to Folk Fest, or K-Days? These are all great festivals and events, but hardly a reason IMO that a player would choose to play here. These cultural events might sell a non-professional athlete looking to uproot his family for a different city though.

Old
03-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2 View Post
If I'm a pro hockey player I want to playing in Edmonton during playoff time. How cool would that be?
That would be the coolest. Lots of time to work on most players' second passion... golf.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
edmonton_ice

Attendance

The games are well attended and the City loves there hockey.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
rec28

Quote:
How many Oilers are here in the summer to go to Folk Fest, or K-Days? These are all great festivals and events, but hardly a reason IMO that a player would choose to play here. These cultural events might sell a non-professional athlete looking to uproot his family for a different city though.
Well, the thing is that a lot of this goes on in the winter months, too. There's a lot more than just summer festivals going on. In addition, a lot of players live here year-round and raise families here. All I'm really saying, though, is that Edmonton tends to be dismissed in terms of arts & culture when reality is far different from perception. We deserve failing marks for the lack of exposure it gets.

Old
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:

Edmonton actually does an excellent job of promoting arts and culture. The Festival City positioning strategy has been widely adopted by its tourism stakeholders, business and convention groups. There is a 'festival in a box' initiative to integrate Edmonton's arts and festival components into conventions.

From a tourism perspective, Tourism Edmonton 'gets' how important arts and culture is in terms of quality of life for citizens but also primary reason for leisure travel. They've also built really strong buy-in with broad stakeholders. Impressive work!

From experience, I can tell you it is a challenge to promote these great assets in your own backyard. When people travel, these are among the first activities most travellers seek out. Unfortunately, busy lives and routine often prevent us from discovering the amazing arts and cultural experiences just outside our front door.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
rec28

Well, Calgary would be one, actually, and I actually quite like Calgary as a city. I lived there for a while and while its citizenry is relatively affluent, its arts communities have always been on relatively shaky ground. A few years ago, when they were close to losing their philharmonic orchestra, Rick Bell from the Calgary Sun wrote a rather scathing column chastizing Calgarians for putting their stock portfolios ahead of lifestyle and community concerns. Things have turned around since then with respect to support (case in point, recent arts & culture spending numbers), but the underlying arts & culture network still isn't that substantial.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily comparing to other NHL cities (and I really hate the inevitable pissing matches that such comparisons bring). It's more a quasi-off-topic comment on Edmonton's utter failure to capitalize on it's cultural assets in general. Perception is at odds with reality.

Last edited by Slats432: 03-08-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old
03-08-2007, 03:04 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Edmonton actually does an excellent job of promoting arts and culture. The Festival City positioning strategy has been widely adopted by its tourism stakeholders, business and convention groups. There is a 'festival in a box' initiative to integrate Edmonton's arts and festival components into conventions.

From a tourism perspective, Tourism Edmonton 'gets' how important arts and culture is in terms of quality of life for citizens but also primary reason for leisure travel. They've also built really strong buy-in with broad stakeholders. Impressive work!

From experience, I can tell you it is a challenge to promote these great assets in your own backyard. When people travel, these are among the first activities most travellers seek out. Unfortunately, busy lives and routine often prevent us from discovering the amazing arts and cultural experiences just outside our front door.

I don't doubt that the effort has been made, I just don't think it's been particularly effective. An arts and culture destination is decidely not the first thing that pops into most anyone's mind when thinking about Edmonton, and that's a shame because we make a very strong case for it.

Old
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx View Post
I posted something like this in another thread, but thought it deserved its own due to the uninformed bashing thrown Edmontons' way. Others have revelled in posting the negatives, so I thought a positive thread was in order.

Let us take a look at some of the positives.

Great tax structure
Great schools
Great culture
Great fan support
Support for a new arena
Great dressing room atmosphere
Great spring, summer, and fall weather.
Global warming

These are just the more general ones and I am sure I missed a few. One could add that young rich millionaire hockey players look for one thing more than any other. In Edmonton, unlike the vast majority of NHL cities, they are number #1 in that category.

But I guess it is cold in the winter and they don't plow the streets very well.
Toby Petersen and a big mall...what more could ya ask for?

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Well, Calgary would be one, actually, and I actually quite like Calgary as a city. I lived there for a while and while its citizenry is relatively affluent, its arts communities have always been on relatively shaky ground. A few years ago, when they were close to losing their philharmonic orchestra, Rick Bell from the Calgary Sun wrote a rather scathing column chastizing Calgarians for putting their stock portfolios ahead of lifestyle and community concerns. Things have turned around since then with respect to support (case in point, recent arts & culture spending numbers), but the underlying arts & culture network still isn't that substantial.
This "art and culture" stuff is really a load to be honest with you. My wife is an award winning playwright and author, and when we lived in Alberta she did extensive work in both cities, working with the arts communities. I don't want to burst your bubble, but her position was that Calgary had by far the better arts community, and a lot of that stemmed from the affluence of the city. That was from someone who worked in the community itself. Having said that, she thought both sucked in comparison to the United States, which I have found out in spades is true from experiencing it first hand. The affluent support the arts, the greater the number of affluent people there, the greater the support for the arts. It's the nature of the beast.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
I don't doubt that the effort has been made, I just don't think it's been particularly effective. An arts and culture destination is decidely not the first thing that pops into most anyone's mind when thinking about Edmonton, and that's a shame because we make a very strong case for it.
A couple of things. It's a pretty new initiative only one year old or so. The program is just being implemented so I am not sure what specific measures and results are in place. They can tell you that. However they have been able to include some pretty broad stakeholders and corporate sponsorship (!) which alone is impressive.

The program is really targeted at regional tourism audiences: Alberta, interior British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. I don't know specifics in how it is promoted to local (and the visiting friends and relative market which is huge). It is integrated into convention groups but it is likely a secondary message for long-haul, international audiences that come to Canada for the Mountains and great outdoors.

Miles ahead of Tourism Calgary which thinks only of Stampede (a great ten days) and cowboy hats. The arts are a dirty word despite the huge number it deliver - employment, attendance, revenue, and quality of life.

Festival City is a great initiative, imo. But I don't know the specific measures but a longterm outcome is no doubt changing attitudes/perceptions about the city's image. It does indeed have a vital arts community. This program may help in the longterm to convince many residents of this fact while also driving regional tourism dollars, investment, and economic development tool to attract and retain workers. (See 'Rise of the Creative Class').

Edit: Link http://www.festivalcity.ca/eventplanners/

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 03-08-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast View Post
The affluent support the arts, the greater the number of affluent people there, the greater the support for the arts. It's the nature of the beast.
Demonstrably false.

Would you agree that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver boast a more affluent population than Edmonton, Regina or Saskatoon?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b-2031aa3dd03b

Last edited by rec28: 03-08-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
metallicat

I am not debating that this city has a lot going for it in terms of the arts, all I'm saying is that I doubt there are many NHLers that choose Edmonton because of these festivals and the artsy culture.

Old
03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
I am not debating that this city has a lot going for it in terms of the arts, all I'm saying is that I doubt there are many NHLers that choose Edmonton because of these festivals and the artsy culture.
I agree. Sorry, I was focused more on the positives in general for we drones of having a vibrant arts and culture community.

For hockey players, no, it is likely not a driver. Might have a bit of bearing for those with kids/family. Could be a positive recruiting tool to show these hockey families a different side of what a prospective new home might offer. Edmonton or Calgary's strength is likely about community, connection, ability to be part of the heart of a community. As opposed to being anonymous in a big southern U.S. city. Add on clean, safe, favourable taxes and there are some strengths.