HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The positives of playing/living in Edmonton.

Old
03-09-2007, 12:27 AM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
It's not about the city itself that scares off some UFA's. It's about the pressure, fish bowl type of community, that scares off some people.

Lupul admitted it. He stated he was scared at first to play here, and the word around the NHL is that the fans are tough on you. He did mention though, that it hasn't been anything like that for him - he noted the fans have been very supportive (I guess he must not read HF).

Jay-Bo? Spends his summers here - but doesn't want to play here, going by sources.

Comrie - ''I love Edmonton, it's my hometown'' but then also mentioned Edmonton as a fishbowl.

That type of perception, right or not, does hurt the image somewhat.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Negatives:

Poor air connections.
Brutal Winters
Off the mainstream of entertainment tours and world focus.
Not a cosmopolitan city
Lacks variety in products and things to do generally.

Advantages:

Being a backwater means it is off the terrorist's target list.
Clean and non polluted environment (though global warming and the Oilsands may alter this in the future).
Low cost of living (until now when the Oil prices have driven home prices up)
Relatively small and compact size
People are friendly and there is less crime than major cities.
Vibrant economy
Strong source of Canadian hockey players. Hockey is beloved here.
Traffic is not a horrendous problem in rush hour.

The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot.

I agree except for one thing; how is Edmonton not cosmopolitan?

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
WheatiesHockey

Edmonton can be very much living the dream or living the nightmare for player from Saskatchewan or Alberta who wants to play for the team he grew up rooting for in his youth.
For players like Stoll,Pisani and Lupul depending on how well the team is doing playing in Edmonton can be a blessing or a curse. Right now it is a curse. Last spring it was heaven.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
mudcrutch79

Don't forget all that gorgeous snatch in EDM!

[sticks out tongue, waggles it]

mudcrutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
For most things Vancouver and Toronto and Montreal are more expensive then Edmonton--atleast the last time I was back in Edmonton was about 95/96--and it was alot cheaper then Vancouver
The economics of Alberta vs TO/Montreal/Vancouver have changed substantially
over the last few years. Find me a 4 year old production built 1400 sq ft bi-level on a small lot far away from the center of town with an unfurnished basement for $440,000 anywhere in greater Montreal or a 500 sq ft house with a dugout basement on a 33 ft lot in North York for $250,000. The advantage of no PST has also disappeared as many products are priced much higher in Alberta than we would see in Ontario. But this is not so large an issue for hockey players since the Alberta
flat tax makes their salaries stretch further. On $1 mil in taxable earnings the savings is about $70K and on $5 mill it is about $400K.

If I had a hockey players salary I would buy a nice place in Edmonton and a house
in Canmore. I can think of worse ways to live.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
but in this day and age where players come and go after a few years-

Would a player stay to live in Edmonton after they retire?

Enless the are from Edmonton

How many former oilers live in Edmonton?

not just own houses

But actually live in Edmonton?

Most players own houses for obvious reasons..property prices always go up.

I don't see property prices being a lure for the players

As we just got hit with the hard truth again--with Smyth, anyone can get traded.

Players with the oilers might only be here for a few years and then move on

I know from the 80's only about 1/4 of the team stayed in Edmonton in the off season, the rest all went back to where they were from or where their wives/girlfriends lived.

Hockey players are nomads

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Demonstrably false.

Would you agree that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver boast a more affluent population than Edmonton, Regina or Saskatoon?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b-2031aa3dd03b

FTR the hill report includes such things as movie going "as spending on art events" and includes any consumer entertainment purchase from HDTV, entertianment centres, Blurays, ipods, XXXDVD's, you name it, as arts consumption.

This study doesn't accurately depict art spending unless anything under the roof of bestbuy, 300, Justin timberlake, and Silvia Saint's latest boobbuster are considered art.

Basically just pumps out national per capita consumer spending type #'s which would look amazingly the same. Edmonton has money, Edmonton spends money.

Nothing really to do with arts.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-10-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
FTR the hill report includes such things as movie going "as spending on art events" and includes any consumer entertainment purchase from HDTV, entertianment centres, Blurays, ipods, XXXDVD's, you name it, as arts consumption.

This study doesn't accurately depict art spending unless anything under the roof of bestbuy, 300, Justin timberlake, and Silvia Saint's latest boobbuster are considered art.

Basically just pumps out national per capita consumer spending type #'s which would look amazingly the same. Edmonton has money, Edmonton spends money.

Nothing really to do with arts.
Hey Replacement, per my post #37, yes, the report is skewed somewhat because it includes Justin Timberlake dvds and the ilk. However, as noted:

In 2005 Albertans paid admissions totalling more than $140-million to the live performing arts — with Calgary leading all major Canadian cities with a figure of $139 a head — almost twice the $81-million Albertans spent on hockey and football games.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Don't forget West Edmonton Mall.

Just joking.

That's funny because there's actually a movie coming out in November called Christmas in Wonderland thats going to be filmed at WEM about a little girl who "is enthralled by the mall and becomes convinced Santa lives somewhere inside it, instead of at the North Pole." Some pretty big names starring in it such as Ray Liotta, Leslie Nielson, and Chris Kattan. Maybe, just maybe, this movie will really help us land some big name free agents in the future

Heres the link: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a44bb7&k=78255

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post

That's funny because there's actually a movie coming out in November called Christmas in Wonderland thats going to be filmed at WEM about a little girl who "is enthralled by the mall and becomes convinced Santa lives somewhere inside it, instead of at the North Pole." Some pretty big names starring in it such as Ray Liotta, Leslie Nielson, and Chris Kattan. Maybe, just maybe, this movie will really help us land some big name free agents in the future

Heres the link: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a44bb7&k=78255
Man if that mall here in Edmonton ever disappears we'll fall right off the map. It's like the first thing a visitor hears, "have you been to the mall?"

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
OYLer

Expectancy has a life of its own...

There is no other better place in any other city, I'd rather be, than running mile after mile, through Edmonton's core, on its dazzling river valley trails. But just after the first good, clean, bug-clearing fall frost. Running, early September to late fall, and me legging-it, day after day, through an extended Indian Summer. The flora, at first charactered with colour, then bursting into golden hues, and finally with re-fired lickings of orange and jagged bites of red, as the always surprising reheat extends an autumn's glory. With the trails less frequented, curious fauna less cautiously present, now that the school-agers have been sequestered back into book learning, prepare for seasonal change.

Breaking into a laboured sweat, a crisp embrace of an early morning chill shudders away idle thoughts. Seconds pass into minutes of uninterrupted aloneness. I run from the shade into the rising sun. Time passes slowly now struggling uphill. I glimpse an Oilers baseball style cap approaching. Older, a genuine orginal, artifact of a by-gone era, bobbing towards me, well perserved, in the classic bright orange, bold, and with that lighter more royal blue background. Surprised, I notice her age is revealed less by her firm choppy gate and more by her weathered hands, wrinkled but strong.

A see an older wary feminine appraisal, it notes I am equally as tired, as she. Bluegrey eyes spy the top of an Oildrop peaking from beneath my half-unzipped, long out of style, track suit top. The heat of a more risen sun now over-fuels my overheated attempt to tone neglected muscles. A once "Proudly Sponsored by Molson Canadian" teeshirt now sweatily still sporting the Edmonton Oilers registered trademark is looking damp and more than half-wornout. I see her lower her strangers' guard, just a tad, a slight lightening of faternal expression. True Copper & Blue fans don't even acknowlege sexism.

Logo to logo we meet and nod, each moving to the right, to pass. Just as she recedes, I hear her intone quietly, "Maybe this year... now that would be n... "

E-Town like many temperate and intemperate locales has its simple pleasures, its discovered beauty, and its handsome & hopeful places. And so as, another finely tuned fall slips towards a whitening solstice, after the sounds of folks leaving our many summer festivals calm, there is always a new season of Oilers' hockey to look forward too.

P S
I was going to wait until this fall, to write this little piece of remembrance but felt that as time passes, so will some of us who gaze more cynically at this world, from under greying eyebrows

Last edited by OYLer: 03-10-2007 at 06:43 PM.
OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Tyrolean

Portland OR, is a similiar city to Edmonton. 1 Mil. pop., no sales tax, one major Pro team. I wonder if basketball players like it there?

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
It's not about the city itself that scares off some UFA's. It's about the pressure, fish bowl type of community, that scares off some people.

Lupul admitted it. He stated he was scared at first to play here, and the word around the NHL is that the fans are tough on you. He did mention though, that it hasn't been anything like that for him - he noted the fans have been very supportive (I guess he must not read HF).

Jay-Bo? Spends his summers here - but doesn't want to play here, going by sources.

Comrie - ''I love Edmonton, it's my hometown'' but then also mentioned Edmonton as a fishbowl.

That type of perception, right or not, does hurt the image somewhat.
What about Montreal though, thats a much worse 'Fish bowl' type than us. Some of their fans ear paper-bags, i dont think thats ever happened here. And the thing is, even if you are losing, its a packed house with cheering. It seems Montreal has no problem attracting FA's, i see no problem with the fishbowl type thing. I think this 'Fishbol' mentality is in every Canadian city, i think unless we are winning or contending, attracting FA's over alot of US cities are hard.

I think its a bad name and Rep that will hurt us, because Edmonton offers alot and more of what alot of other cities offer aswell, those two things might be the only disadvantage IMO.

Just my two cents.....

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I think your #'s 1 and 2 are irrelevant, or can be made irrelevant by many/most NHLers
#1 is not irrelevant at all. When you play 50%+ of your hockey games in a low tax area, it's a big benefit.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:26 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

several cities in the states have started taxing pro athletes from visiting teams on the games played in that city

Pensylvania started and I think it is now up 15 states that now do it

Old
03-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
The best and most knowledgeable fans in hockey.
That is not a plus....

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:11 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

also in Edmonton whenever players go out, regardless of if they are with their family or not--if someone recoginzes tgem they get approached and sometimes it can be annoying.

Both Messier and Gretz said that was the one thing they appriated when they left Edmonton-- the comment they both made "being able to walk down the street and not being recognized"

even 4th liners and minor leaguers get recognized walking down the street in edmonton.

Most out up with it, but some do not like the fact how high of a profile they have in the city

Old
03-11-2007, 09:17 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
#1 is not irrelevant at all. When you play 50%+ of your hockey games in a low tax area, it's a big benefit.
Ha. These guys make more money on interest in a year, than I will make salary wise for the rest of my life. They can live in the highest taxed area of North America without batting an eye. Nobody chooses to play in Edmonton because taxes are low.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote