HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Great Gino Odjick

Old
03-09-2007, 11:23 PM
LesCanadiens

vCash: 500
OT: The Great Gino Odjick

Considering all the tension around here....thought this might lighten things up. God, I miss Odjick. One of the true characters of the game...some quiotes, and a little classic Gino on YouTube at end:

> From Faceoff.com/La Presse:
Odjick said he hoped to return to the lineup this season: "If you can teach a dog to run after a ball in a week, you can teach an Indian to run after a puck in a month."

> From the Montreal Gazette:
After Montreal's 2-1 win over Boston (playoffs), being outshot 44-13 in the process: "We'd better get out of town before we get arrested," said forward Gino Odjick. "We just stole a game."

Talking about Montreal's 4-3 loss Thursday, in which the Canadiens gave up three goals in the third period, and the overtime winner: (from faceoff.com, Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette) So, was it the players? The coach? The
Hurricanes' grit? Does it really matter? Gino Odjick, master of the art of going to the heart of a problem and diagnosing it with an economy of words, explained it this way yesterday: "We had her on the dance floor, but we
couldn't take her home." Lovely.

> From The Sporting News:
Gino Odjick returns to the Montreal Canadiens lineup tonight and, from the sound of things, he has a score to settle with Florida goaltender Trevor Kidd. "I figure (Kidd) will wake up (this morning) at 9:30 and read the paper at 10. That leaves him nine hours to learn the duck dance," Odjick said yesterday. "I haven't played in a week and all I've been doing is shooting at watermelons - because that's the size of his head."
"I figure to get 10 minutes of ice (against the Panthers). That means I should be good for three shots. And I was hitting the melon often last week. I'm an Indian, so I'm good at hunting." ...
Former Panther Bill Lindsay, now Odjick's teammate in Montreal, was equally, if not more, critical of Bure upon his departure. But Odjick, in his unique style, said, "That's bridge under the water."

"Mom always told me not to say anything when you don't have anything good to say," he said, waxing philosophical. "If you look at it long and hard, he [Campbell] gave us a chance to punish him [McLaren] ourselves, by beating them and putting them out of the playoffs. He [Campbell] did a good job. What McLaren did was wrong, but we're all human, we all make mistakes. We're not living in a perfect world. He's forgiven. If we want to find a way to take further action, we'll salt him away, like dried meat."
If anyone would know how McLaren felt when he had his meeting with Campbell, Saturday, it would be Odjick. The 11-year enforcer has been called onto Campbell's carpet numerous times, and has banishments of 8 and 10 games on his résumé.
So from Odjick's experience, how does one prepare to plead their case before the league's disciplinarian?
"Certainly the best thing to do is not to go in and lie . . . and degrade yourself," he said. "I've been suspended probably more than anybody else in the league. But if you cross the line, you end up having to pay."
Odjick's lost wages for his eight game sitdown in 2000 while with the New York Islanders totaled $30,867.
"Believe me," he said, "when you start digging in your pocket on a regular basis, it settles you down."
>
No source:
Gino Odjick explains the difference between himself and coach Mike Keenan; "He gets frustrated and says stupid things. I get frustrated and do stupid things."
>
No Source:
The comparison is an interesting one. "Theoren Fleury." In his prime, the feisty forward had a reputation of being the most annoying player in the NHL. Former Vancouver Canuck Gino Odjick once said, "He's like a bug. You just can't get rid of him."

> From A.P.:
Odjick also was upset with a hit by Carolina's Sean Hill on Oleg Petrov.
"I know that Hill took a run at Petrov's head and sometimes people think they won't have to pay for what they do because they are in the playoffs,'' Odjick said. "But it's like David Copperfield, it's just an illusion. So, Mr. Hill, if you want to keep taking shots at heads, you will live by the sword and you might have to die by the sword if you're a man. I don't know if you are yet.''

> From BBS:
Gino Odjick on the effect of his suspension without pay and its’ effect on his wife Jolene, "She won’t be able to play bingo or shop for a whole month. Maybe Colin (Campbell) will get what he deserves when I tell her she can’t play bingo or go to the stores. My advice to him is to run."
>
From BBS:
"In the morning, the sun will still rise and I'll still have to go to the bathroom" – Gino has his own way of sounding philosophic.

> From the Vancouver Province:
"Finally, a rink where I get to use my speed." - Gino Odjick walked into Yoyogi Arena, took one look at the huge Olympic-size ice surface and, you guessed it, cracked a joke.
>
From The Hockey News:
“I guess every dog has it’s day” – Gino explains to the media how he managed to score two goals, including the game-winner, on Colorado’s Patrick Roy.

And of course who can forget?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE5QAD5t2VE

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Shabutie

Possibly the ugliest player in NHL history, but his quotes always bring a smile to my face.

Darron Langdon also had some funny ones.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice post, we need a character player like that. I agree with Shabutie, not the most handsome guy ever to play on our team.

03-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Seriously, the next HABS Jersey i'm buying will have Odjick's name on it.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Maddas*

I gave him a good kicking the other day.

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:47 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Gino would even make our lineup look better. Come back Gino

KOMO_ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:58 AM
terreur

Gino was a hell of a player

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:02 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Not during his Habs days.. but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLIDC...elated&search=

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post

I agree....the Odjick (from his Vancouver days) was much better.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Belso

I remember when there was this incident in Montreal where I think it was Therrien who scratched him and Gino got so mad he just left. It was reported the following day that he was missing, somewhere in the WOODS!

HA HA!!

I liked him too.. He was a special player...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote