HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbonneau's Future

Old
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
momotan

vCash: 500
This isn't the Montreal Canadians owned by the molson brewerie which pandered to the media and the crowd as soon as a player showed a middle finger or the team started losing. They had reason to fear media/fan repurcussions and pulled the trigger way to quickly countless times. This team goes by the heirarchy of Gillet, Gillet's son, Boivin, Gainey and Carbo. It's pretty obvious they could care less about what the media wants and i suspect their access will get even more restricted next season. The media is still whining about being thrown off the canadian's flights and hotel bookings. What they want is a team that comes to play 60 minutes and plays both ways for that 60 minutes. Exactly the way Gainey and Carbo played and the way coached and GMed the Stars. The whole farm system is being built that way and that is why the AHL bulldogs have been the dominant team for 3 years. When the Canadians were doing what Carbo wanted, they were #4 in the conferance and could beat anyone. For some reason (probably a whole bunch) they have stopped listening. So the best solution is to axe the guys who don't want to show up and try and replace them with players who do. That won't be easy but that is what needs to be done. Better to go with 4 lines of 2nd and 3rd line players that come to play every night then what we have now.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Habs_Apostle

Firing the coach hasn't worked in the past. Firing the coach and hiring a new guy seems like a temporary solution; everyone gets excited and seems to play hard for the new guy for a little while but once the novelty wears off they revert to their crappy play. Maybe we should just stick with the current staff for two or three more seasons and give it a chance. I'm inclined to start moving players at this point rather than the manager and coaches. Very disappointing season - started off with so much hope and has ended terribly. I don't think the team is as bad as they are showing now, but they likely weren't as good as they showed at the beginning of the season either. Some major changes are due - maybe it's time for Koivu to go? Perhaps it's time for a youth movement. Let's see just how good our prospects are.

Go Habs Go!

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
You all talk like the Habs fell from grace this year, they're not supposed to contend for 2 more seasons as per the club itself.

2009 is the goal year, last time I checked 06-07 isn't over just yet.
There's a difference between contend and actually look like a team. This is worse than the last year of therrien. This team has not improved since André Savard was replaced.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
deandebean

The coach ain't the problem here, even if I think is an amateur compared to the previous one.

This time, look at the core of the team. And look at the GM. When was the last good move he made? Really?

Old
03-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Where is the Hab team that played the Leafs last Monday?

Carbonneau needs to find that team....they haven't played even half that good since.

Come out flying, finish checks, draw some penalties....maybe even score the 1st goal..and for pete's sake...SKATE! I don't understand how this Habs team gets outhustled all the time. They sure ain't a tough team, but they should at least have a speed advantage over most teams.

Carbonneau gets one more year to prove himself....if this team does not improve, he's gotta go.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Even Philly and LA plays well sometimes. One game desn't make a team...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Other coaches being fired doesn't make Carbo a good coach.

Pure sementics.
You are right, but we tought we were right the three previous times. 0/3 What are the odds we are right this time? Stability is what is needed, and the worst thing that could happen now would be to see Gainey and Carbonneau leave the boat. That way, we lose, the players win, and the concession sucks for an other 5 years.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post

Carbonneau needs to find that team....they haven't played even half that good since.

Come out flying, finish checks, draw some penalties....maybe even score the 1st goal..and for pete's sake...SKATE! I don't understand how this Habs team gets outhustled all the time. They sure ain't a tough team, but they should at least have a speed advantage over most teams.

Carbonneau gets one more year to prove himself....if this team does not improve, he's gotta go.
carbo isn't the one who needs to find that team, only the players can find that kind of effort within themselves alone. these players are suppose to be professionals and shouldn't need the coach to tell them to come to play hard everyday.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
This time, look at the core of the team. And look at the GM. When was the last good move he made? Really?
Trading Rivet for a 1st and a young D-man seemed to unanimously please everyone.

Until Burke opened his trap and suddenly it was no longer good enough, but objectively, it was a great return.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:35 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Trading Rivet for a 1st and a young D-man seemed to unanimously please everyone.

Until Burke opened his trap and suddenly it was no longer good enough, but objectively, it was a great return.
I had forgotten about it. Sure, it was a good move. OK, you've got me.

Ok, before that one then?

Old
03-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
There's a difference between contend and actually look like a team. This is worse than the last year of therrien. This team has not improved since André Savard was replaced.
Bob Gainey Up Here in the GM work
Look at our lineup folks, we have a great young nucleus and we will get rid of the deadweight this summer.

Andre "I love small soft euros" Savard & don't get me confused with a real gm Serge down here

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Reuben

[QUOTE=Jyroe Habs Fan;8433328]Bob Gainey Up Here in the GM work
Look at our lineup folks, we have a great young nucleus and we will get rid of the deadweight this summer.

I hope we get rid of some deadweight, I'm not sure there are too many suckers who will take them though. we can only hope.

Old
03-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think he should be fired tomorrow and Gainey should take control of the team for the rest of the season.

I don't think this is Guy's fault; it's quite clear the whole team has completely quit on the season. I don't think Carbo has done a very good job but no coach could win with the effort these guys are putting in. It's a real shame too because I don't think our roster is even close to as bad as our play suggests.

As bad as this team needs some stability behind the bench, I don't think there's any way we could justify retaining Carbo after this monumental collapse (has there been a worse one in this team's history?). If he is likely to be replaced next season, what's the point of keeping him on until the end? Gainey's return probably wouldn't help us much but it is possible. If not, we're no worse off than we are right now.

Gainey hired carbo.

Carbo is Gainey's guy

I think gainey will attempt to change the culture of the team by making moves before he even thinks about carbo's future.

This is all overreaction to a bad season. Carbo's job is not in danger.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:28 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Jesus would'nt have done a better job than Carbo with this team...
For sure but Jesus knows nothing aboout hockey!

Pat Burnes knows lots though

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:41 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
The coach ain't the problem here, even if I think is an amateur compared to the previous one.

maybe it's time the coach identify the right players as part of the core...

Plekanec, Higgins, Kostytsin and Komisarek or Koivu, Samsonov, Souray and Kovalev...

obvious choice for everyone but the coach it seems

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think he should be fired tomorrow and Gainey should take control of the team for the rest of the season.

I don't think this is Guy's fault; it's quite clear the whole team has completely quit on the season. I don't think Carbo has done a very good job but no coach could win with the effort these guys are putting in. It's a real shame too because I don't think our roster is even close to as bad as our play suggests.

As bad as this team needs some stability behind the bench, I don't think there's any way we could justify retaining Carbo after this monumental collapse (has there been a worse one in this team's history?). If he is likely to be replaced next season, what's the point of keeping him on until the end? Gainey's return probably wouldn't help us much but it is possible. If not, we're no worse off than we are right now.
Nope...it's called sending the wrong message.

My 2 cents

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
maybe it's time the coach identify the right players as part of the core...

Plekanec, Higgins, Kostytsin and Komisarek or Koivu, Samsonov, Souray and Kovalev...

obvious choice for everyone but the coach it seems
core players for me right now
Koivu, Higgins, Markov, Komisarek, Souray. Huet if he wasn't injured

Old
03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
core players for me right now
Koivu, Higgins, Markov, Komisarek, Souray. Huet if he wasn't injured
problem is, the first name you've put is being outplayed and outworked by a guy lots of people still consider "3rd line C" material...

(not saying I consider Plekanec 3rd line material, just that I see theses comments a lot)

Old
03-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
problem is, the first name you've put is being outplayed and outworked by a guy lots of people still consider "3rd line C" material...

(not saying I consider Plekanec 3rd line material, just that I see theses comments a lot)
He's still our most productive forward and i think overall Koivu is a hard working player.

BTW why did you include Samsanov and Kovalev in yours? they are being outplayed by 3rd and 4th liners as well and not producing either.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
He's still our most productive forward and i think overall Koivu is a hard working player.

BTW why did you include Samsanov and Kovalev in yours? they are being outplayed by 3rd and 4th liners as well and not producing either.
Considering how Carbonneau plays Kovalev, it's fair to say the coach think he's an important piece of the puzzle (what puzzle you'd ask, well that's another topic )...

and Samsonov, wasnt he brought to "help Kovalev" ?

Old
03-09-2007, 06:55 AM
All-Star

This is my post from another thread. It applies here as well.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8435822&postcount=16

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:03 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canindian View Post
No. Michel Bergeron. This guy "deserves" it !
that mostly depends on what "it" is .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Fozz

Carbonneau is a rookie coach and there's no doubt that he's gained a lot of valuable experience this year. If we get rid of him, he'll turn out like the others (Vigneault, Therrien & Julien) and win elsewhere.

This is a young team with a lot of very good young players coming up and already on the team and a young coaching staff. Patience is the ultimate virtue to have if you're a Habs fan these days.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
RC51

Carbo tells the team to STOP taking real dumb penilties, but they don't
Carbo tells the team to work harder but they don't
CArbo askes his core to bring their "A" game but they don't
Carbo askes his goaltenders to not to let in week goals don't they don't
Carbo benches some and everybody gives him flack
Carbo goes one on one with Koivu and Kovalev, do they respond? they don't
The team has a meeting, do they re-commit? they don't.
Carbo tries almost every line combo, do the players find any chemistry? they don't

this team is in dire need of a breakup. Half the team wants out or knows it's about to be kicked out. the other half keeps trying.
The real cancer is those players that talk a big game all the while just cashing in their paychecks and waiting to move on. They are the liars on the club and their is more then one. They don't give a rats ass about the Habs, the city,the fans. It's all about them, their fat contracts and coasting along until the playoffs so they get to play golf or go home to enjoy their millions sooner after all they don't get paid extra for the playoffs and thats a big issue for them.
Their are two faced liars on this club. Don't think for an instant it's only the russians if we know what was in the heart of all players I think the result would shock a few.

Yes, their are liars on this club.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Carbo tells the team to STOP taking real dumb penilties, but they don't
Carbo tells the team to work harder but they don't
CArbo askes his core to bring their "A" game but they don't
Carbo askes his goaltenders to not to let in week goals don't they don't
Carbo benches some and everybody gives him flack
Carbo goes one on one with Koivu and Kovalev, do they respond? they don't
The team has a meeting, do they re-commit? they don't.
Carbo tries almost every line combo, do the players find any chemistry? they don't

this team is in dire need of a breakup. Half the team wants out or knows it's about to be kicked out. the other half keeps trying.
The real cancer is those players that talk a big game all the while just cashing in their paychecks and waiting to move on. They are the liars on the club and their is more then one. They don't give a rats ass about the Habs, the city,the fans. It's all about them, their fat contracts and coasting along until the playoffs so they get to play golf or go home to enjoy their millions sooner after all they don't get paid extra for the playoffs and thats a big issue for them.
Their are two faced liars on this club. Don't think for an instant it's only the russians if we know what was in the heart of all players I think the result would shock a few.

Yes, their are liars on this club.
Most players do what they can. Same with Carbo. But the team is untalented.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote