HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carbonneau's Future

Old
03-09-2007, 09:25 AM
AH

vCash: 500
Those other coaches people keep referring to (Therrien, Vigno, Julien) are all dedicated coaches who took a step back in their careers (minor leagues, juniors, although Julien got lucky) in order to prove their worth again. Carbonneau is too egotistical to do that. The guy assumes that being handed this job is his RIGHT.

He should be fired just for that.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Those other coaches people keep referring to (Therrien, Vigno, Julien) are all dedicated coaches who took a step back in their careers (minor leagues, juniors, although Julien got lucky) in order to prove their worth again. Carbonneau is too egotistical to do that. The guy assumes that being handed this job is his RIGHT.

He should be fired just for that.
And you should be fined for talking our of your ass and presenting it as facts.

Give me a proof that Carbo think his job was given to him as a right.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:09 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Carbonneau is too egotistical to do that. The guy assumes that being handed this job is his RIGHT.
Link?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
brownman*

So we dump Carbo and then what, bring back Gainey behind the bench? Yeah, I'm sure Bob would be delighted to step back into the actual spotlight after the season this team has had. The organization needs stability, something it has been lacking for quite some time and since the Habs AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE CONTENDERS UNTIL 2009 (as per the team's own announcement) it would be insane to expect any changes unless they result from inter-team conflicts.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
And you should be fined for talking our of your ass and presenting it as facts.

Give me a proof that Carbo think his job was given to him as a right.
So you're going to tell me that WHEN Carbs get fired (because he will one day), he is actually going to take the route of Tremblay, Vigno, Therrien, etc ... and actually re-dedicate himself to the coaching game by taking a step back? Are you kidding me?

Hiring a personality like Carbs was the worst thing Gainey could have done. We would have been better off with Muller as head coach. The guy actually bothered to coach CIS hockey during his time off.

Having said all that, I actually want Carbs to succeed here. But he just has to stop being such a d!ckhead. He needs to admit to himself that he doesn't know it all and that he has a long way to go to get to even the guy he replaced, Claude Julien.

Old
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
imagine the medias...

there are not enough french canadiens on the teams. The GM is anglophone, the owner is american... now, an anglophone coach????

personnally I don't care but I imagine the medias biitching the habs even more.
What does it matter what language the coach speaks? Now it's going too far.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Haddock

Quote:
So you're going to tell me that WHEN Carbs get fired (because he will one day), he is actually going to take the route of Tremblay, Vigno, Therrien, etc ... and actually re-dedicate himself to the coaching game by taking a step back? Are you kidding me?

Hiring a personality like Carbs was the worst thing Gainey could have done. We would have been better off with Muller as head coach. The guy actually bothered to coach CIS hockey during his time off.
And Carbo was an assistant-coach here before for a season and worked as assistant-gm in Dallas for more than that. There's no doubt in my mind he'd go back to similar positions if things didn't turn out here in the future. As of now, you're still talking out of your ass. You're just pissed because your favorite sports team is losing.
Go buy some candy.

Old
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
C'mon now we all know the post game press conferences are more important than the game itself.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Having said all that, I actually want Carbs to succeed here. But he just has to stop being such a d!ckhead. He needs to admit to himself that he doesn't know it all
How do we know that Jarvis and Muller haven't asserted that Carbo's system should remain intact even after all the struggles? How do we know they don't vouch for keeping the same ****** lines together? It's all conjecture and we don't know jack****

Old
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Ross MacLochness

What I don't like is how people chime in with "Well the players listened to Carbo the first 35 games of the year, and look at our results."

Well even back then our 5-on-5 play sucked balls but we had Huet playing like an All-Star and #1 special teams (Muller and Jarvis' domain) to disguise it all. So it's not like the players just started tuning Carbo out on the cue of December 23rd. There were deep rooted problems with our talent and system of play going back god knows how long, and add the fact that our coach has never even coached before in his life and voila you have a disaster of a season on your hands.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
AH

Quote:
And Carbo was an assistant-coach here before for a season and worked as assistant-gm in Dallas for more than that. There's no doubt in my mind he'd go back to similar positions if things didn't turn out here in the future. As of now, you're still talking out of your ass.
I dont think so. He will pull a Ted Nolan and stay out of the game for 10 years before he realizes that he needs to pay his dues again (like Nolan did last year).

Old
03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
brownman*

Quote:
I dont think so. He will pull a Ted Nolan and stay out of the game for 10 years before he realizes that he needs to pay his dues again (like Nolan did last year).
Carbo has more "friends" in the game than Nolan who will tell him straight up that he can't dick around and expect another head coaching job (when that day comes, it certainly won't be this year)

Old
03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
With all the Russians prima donna that we have, the Habs should hire the best Russian coach available ! Have you ever noticed that there is no EUROPEAN coaches in the NHL.... Bizarre....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Haddock

Quote:
And that's what talking out of your ass means. Speculations aren't facts.

Old
03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
AH

Quote:
And that's what talking out of your ass means. Speculations aren't facts.
Of course it's speculation on my part. But it doesn't stop me from reading the person.

I also know that once Bob leaves the Habs, he will retire and stay out of hockey for good. It's speculation on my part, but that's the impression I get.

Old
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Capitano

The coach can only do so much. I highly doubt Carbonneau is telling our D to be come giveaway machines.

You can blame a coach for a system I guess, but the players are the ones that play. Unless Carbo changed something in his tactics from the beginning of the season up until now, I can't blame him. It is possible that other coaches have studied our tactics and have come up with gameplans to counter us though, I think that's the more likely scenario.

Our PK went from 1st to 14th. We lost Begin for a bit and that could account for some drop I guess, but our PK has let us down more than anything else since Christmas.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
flappuck

The problem isn't the coach.

The problem is that our "core" players don't make a difference.
Where was Kovalev last night? Koivu? Souray? Samsonov? Markov?
Hell, even Begin doesn't seem to want to win...

These guys are supposed to be our top players yet they ain't doing squat.
The kids are playing with more intensity and desire than those guys.
If we're gonna lose, might as well lose with the kids and dump the old guys that don't want to play.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Carbonneau himself said that he's not the greatest communicator, so if he acknowledge that already, could you imagine how much he really isn't talking to his players? And in today's world, where players need to be talked to, and need some shoulder to cry on, he's not going to last long.

Éric Bélanger just said how Hartley has rebuild his confidence and clearly it's one of the biggest problem on this team 'cause even with an average talent like we have, you need to play better and give better opposition. But clearly, there's no confidence whatsoever.

So ask yourself this question, can you really think that Carbonneau is the type of guy to rebuild some confidence???? Does he actually know how to do this? Carbonneau = Mario Tremblay, he definately portray himself like somebody not easy to talk to, and not only is he not great technically, but he's not great at motivation as well. Aren't you suppose to be good at least in 1 of the 2????

I don't see Bob firing him, but let's hope for the sake of this org. that Carbo will understand the message. It's OK to realize that you may be a good assistant but in charge it's a different ballgame.

And then everybody else needs to be accountable and the firing or leaving of Carbo if it happens, doesn't mean that the core is suddenly great or that Gainey didn't make any mistakes.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote