HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Simon suspended for remainder of season and playoffs

Old
03-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Uncle Jorgi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
You don't find anything at all strange about Simon swinging his stick at Hollweg when he just as easily could have dropped his gloves and beat the hell out of him and avoided all this? Even for a psycho, it seems as though the easier, MORE SELF SERVING way to do this is to jump Hollweg and fight him. The whole play took place in less than a few seconds. I truly don't think he got up with the intention of doing what he did. I would be here saying this if he were still a Ranger and I am saying it now because I truly don't think anyone conciously gets up and says "I'm so pissed I am going to end my own career right now by almost killing this guy."
I have never seen someone get hit hard enough to leave them unable to reason what they are doing, yet still retain all of their motor functions. His balance did not sway in any way when he was getting up from the hit, when he was laying the lumber on Hollweg, or when he had a whole Rangers team piling into him afterwards. That would seem to contradict the notion that he had sustained a head injury that jarred him loose of all capability of being a human being. And to refute your theory that fighting him would be easier than swinging a stick at his head, i have to ask if you have ever swung a stick or gotten in a fight. Swinging a stick and giving a cheapshot is the much easier, albeit cowardly, option of the two. Fighting isn't the easier or more self -serving of the two for a psycho ... a nutcase just wants to hurt the other guy in the quickest, most brutally efficient way possible, and i think the replay shows thats exactly what happened here.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
"It always looks worse," Witt said. "I saw the guy after the game, he looked fine. That's enough to tell me that it wasn't THAT bad. You know what I mean?
I find the best way to make sure that people understand what you're saying is to say something that's not totally stupid. i.e. not that.

Simon is extremely lucky he didn't cause a serious injury. because he didn't doesn't mean that it "wasn't THAT bad" obviously .

Quote:
"The ref obviously thought it was clean," Witt said of Hollweg's hit. "Maybe if there had been a call, it would have never escalated to that."
first of all he's wrong. Simon obviously wasn't thinking, and if there wasn't enough time behind Hollweg's hit and Simon's reaction for Simon to form a thought, why would a penalty call change that? he didn't look and see if the referee had his arm up.

and what's his point anyways? the refs should go around calling any hits penalties to protect Chris Simon's temper?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:54 PM
dynamoovechkin

Brutal, just brutal play by Simon. Had nothing to do with hockey. Kind of reminds me of Perezhogin axe-chopping Grant Stafford in the AHL, which left Stafford in convulsions.

First of all, on the anniversary of the Bertuzzi hit, and with the playoffs a scant month away, and considering Simon's history, one has to think that this will be quite severe- along the lines of the McSorely thing. (Marty does the color analysis for San Jose- quite well I might add- should be interesting to hear his take on it during tonights SJ-VAN game). Also the league is in the process of addressing hits to the head, so here's hoping Soupy really steps up and sends a MESSAGE! (I'm not buying the anti-Ranger bias theory either)

This hit most reminded me of the Dave Brown/Tomas Sandstrom cross check to the head behind the net. Had nothing to do with the flow of the game, without question a premeditated intent to injure. Delivered by a super villain/goon.

The beauty of this all is that 1- Hollyweg is unhurt, 2- This win could singlehandedly turn our season around 3- This loss could derail theirs 4- We get a chance to see what kind of cojones the league office has 5- We get to see if they are serious about trying to curtail hits to the head and 6- All this message board banter is kind of fun, no?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Tbg1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
He better get AT LEAST season + playoffs. No room anywhere in hockey for the kind of **** that ******* pulled tonight.

I'm ashamed he was once on our team and I'm sure Islanders fans feel the same way right now.
Although i agree theres now place in hockey for that S*** but Hollweg got away with a boarding of Simon right before that, totally avoidable, no different then Cam Janssen's hit on Kaberle....... Chris simon will problably get suspended for rest of season and playoffs.......Mor ethan fair, but as far as the DA is concerned let the NHL handle it.....

Tbg1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515 View Post
Although i agree theres now place in hockey for that S*** but Hollweg got away with a boarding of Simon right before that, totally avoidable, no different then Cam Janssen's hit on Kaberle....... Chris simon will problably get suspended for rest of season and playoffs.......Mor ethan fair, but as far as the DA is concerned let the NHL handle it.....
There is no way in hell that Hollwegs borderline clean hit was anything like Janseen who took a 20 foot run and hit a guy. First I am a Janssen fan and didn't think he deserved to be suspended at all as the guy was watching his pass and the hit was on 2 second after the pass as timed by NJ Devils TV people. Hollweg threw a middle to soft check and you can clearly see him try to hit Simon on the side. Simon is a jerk end of story. No DA needed throw him 40 games and goodbye

Last edited by FLYLine24: 03-10-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:18 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

This incident is on a level of McSorley/Bertuzzi proportions, therefore, he should be gone for a half-year to a year.

It's time for Bettman to put his foot down and tell the players and the fans that this **** will not be tolerated. Any less than rest of the year + playoffs would be a joke, and the NHL would instantly lose the small semblance of credibility it has left.

McSorley's tirade was disgusting. Bertuzzi then ended someone's career, and got off lightly for what he did. Now, Simon should be done, for a LONG, LONG time.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:21 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515 View Post
Completely different story.

Hollweg looks like he sidesteps Simon's hit, and then helps him along into the glass... but what I don't get is why Simon left his feet. Was he looking to fake a hit from behind, or was he just being a complete assclown before and after the incident?

If you can find it on youtube, there is no way in hell that Hollweg is behind Simon, he's clearly off to Simon's left.

Old
03-10-2007, 02:36 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Brutal, just brutal play by Simon. Had nothing to do with hockey. Kind of reminds me of Perezhogin axe-chopping Grant Stafford in the AHL, which left Stafford in convulsions.
Stafford actually swung at Perezhogin first, both sides were wrong in that affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I totally agree with you. What he did was despicable and unwarranted in any situation. But if Avery can go on Tv interviews and call other teams goalies whiny babies and call Janssens a meathead then why is Witt an ass for saying what he said. Im not trying to argue, but I guess its from the fans perspective. To bad this incident marred an excelent game by both teams.
Janssens IS a meathead, Witt is an ******* for saying something so stupid at such a wrong time.

And he's one to speak to, a guy who's been delivering shots to the head behind the play since he first came into this league, Brendan Witt. I'd like to see someone do that to him, then say what he said about it, and see how Witt, and you other Islander fans react to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson View Post
"Hey pot...you're black!"

Sincerely,
The Kettle

Avery is saying something about Janssens and Simon? Are we forgetting his spear of Witt in the 3rd game of this season?

That being said, what Simon did was disgusting and doesn't belong in the game...period. This is the same guy who, when he was on the Rangers, continually punched Scatchard in the head with his glove still on when he knew Scatch couldn't fight because he had a brace on his hand. He loses it from time to time. He needs to sit for at least a year IMO.

We are all lucky Simon's stick didn't hit him higher on the face...it could have killed him. Nobody should be defending that.
Avery is dirty, no doubt, but Witt has been delivering cheap shots since he's entered this league. He is no innocent victim, so let's not annoint him a saint here, guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Islander fans are trying to justify Simon hitting a homerun with Hollweg's face. "It was the concussion", "cheapshot by Hollweg". If Simon was hurt so bad he should have maybe hmmmmm, stayed on the ice? Or perhaps skated away to receive medical attention? Anyone trying to defend Chris Simon should probably put down the kool-aid.
Well said, Zach.

Anyone defending Witt should put down the drugs as well, a classless thing to say by a dirty player, and then a bunch of clowns trolling, and bringing up Avery.

1. Stop trying to take the focus off of Witt.
2. Take the checks, and face the facts.
3. Get a clue.

Had Hollweg done this to Simon, and Avery said that, you Islander fans would be crying "BLOODY ****ING MURDER."

Give me a break, you self-centered hypocrites.

Old
03-10-2007, 07:27 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
This right here pisses me off almost as much as the hit itself:
From Yahoo!

"It always looks worse," Witt said. "I saw the guy after the game, he looked fine. That's enough to tell me that it wasn't THAT bad. You know what I mean?

"The ref obviously thought it was clean," Witt said of Hollweg's hit. "Maybe if there had been a call, it would have never escalated to that."

What the ****?
Witt is a braindead idiot. Would you expect anything more from him?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

I think Simon got offended and also thought it was a dirty hit from behind when his head went into the boards. Although there is no excuse for what he did which was very cowardly and not like Simon at all, I must say i still like him but dont respect him like I use to. it was a very bad reaction and deserves a major suspension, major I would say rest of this year and why not all of next or half atleast, he could have killed Hollweg had he hit him in the throat. This is what makes hockey look bad and simon should pay the price, no questions,and I wouldnt be shocked if this puts a damper on his career as well.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:25 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
Witt is a total piece of s+++. It wasn't bad becuse he wan't hurt, it doen't matter, you can shoot someone in the leg or you can shoot someone in the head, it doesn't matter, the intent was there. So he hit him in the chin and he didn't get hurt, he is lucky it hit the chin and not the neck or head. Witt is just an idiot I think
Witt sucks..he goes after guys like prucha and hen when someone like orr or hollweg goo for him he tries to goat them into a penalty and runs like a chicken

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Anybody figure out how much $$ Simon is set to lose if/when he gets suspended for the rest of the season???

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:40 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Just want to clarify that i do not condone what Simon did becaus he was reckless and stuoid and could have done some serious damage. What i amtrying to say is that the initail hit (still no excuse) was a hit from behind according to the league and was not called. Hollweg seems to have a lot of those hits.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Tuxman

u are blaming hollweg for simon's actions which could be seen as trying to justify simon

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:51 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I am blaming the league and officials because that was a hit from behind. maybe if there was no instigator things would be different but I dont know.

Old
03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Tuxman

Quote:
I am blaming the league and officials because that was a hit from behind. maybe if there was no instigator things would be different but I dont know.
u might be right but i cannot blame anyone but simon for this

Old
03-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Tuxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
So you can honestly say that if Avery was on the Isles and did the exact same things for them as he has done for the Rangers,you would post on these boards saying that Sean Avery is a "piece of ****. I didn't think so. Just the fact that opposing teams are reacting not only to what he does on the ice, but what he says to the media shows that he is doing exactly what he wants to do.
I remember Isles fans absolutley loving Kasper and his antics when he was on your blueline. Remember those borderline hipchecks, and following Messier around the ice talking **** in his ear. That was great stuff and Ranger fans hated him for it. But man we were happy when he came over to our side. Too bad it was five years too late. Sean Avery is an aggravating pain in the butt. Exactly what the Rangers needed. Even Isles fans can't deny that.
same as witt, we all hate him but if he played for us, we'd probably love him

Old
DutchShamrock

Quote:
That was not a hit from behind. Drop the bias and watch the replay... shoulder to shoulder. Simon turned and jumped into the glass. He was trying to draw one. Shoulder to shoulder. I don't even care where Simon ended up because as long as the hit is from the side it is irrelevant.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-10-2007 at 11:11 AM.
DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dok101

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know where you are coming from, but really, it is just an exercise in futility. The league and its officiating is what it is. For as long as there has been a National Hockey League, there have been questions regarding the officiating. Since that won't change, trying to provide some rationale for Simon's actions is, as I said, an exercise in futility because it cannot be rationalized. Under no circumstances can a player do what Simon did. Or what McSorley did, or Bertuzzi, or Perezhogin.

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

and he deserves the balme no doubt, but I think my point is that the blame can go around as well. What he did was wrong and totally uncalled for, but what i wasthinking was what if he just hauled off and just starting punching him with his fists, would that have made it better? The guys now know about the instigator and if he would have done it with his fists he probably would have still gotten suspended.

Old
03-10-2007, 11:03 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
That was not a hit from behind. Drop the bias and watch the replay... shoulder to shoulder. Simon turned and jumped into the glass. He was trying to draw one. Shoulder to shoulder. I don't even care where Simon ended up because as long as the hit is from the side it is irrelevant.
I have seen it many times and it was a hit from behind according to the league. i think it is rule 140 or soemthing. its not being bias its being factual. So how come those get called mst of the time. When a guy is turned and cannot see a hit it is considered a hit from behind. Check the rule book unless I interpretted it wrong.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-10-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old
03-10-2007, 11:03 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
There is not much to Hollweg's game. If he didn't do what he did, he wouldn't get dressed. In due time, he'll go the way of fellas such as Steve Webb. The one dimensional agitators have been going the way of the dodo bird since the league came back. Hollweg's shelf life has all but expired.

Avery on the hand has talent and, in my opinion, has the potential of producing numbers in the Darcy Tucker range in the near future.
Hmmm.. Can you get find out the winning numbers in the next lottery with that Magic 8 Ball your using??? I'll take that Do-Do bird on my team anyday. And for now so will Ranger management.

Old
03-10-2007, 11:04 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
This incident is on a level of McSorley/Bertuzzi proportions, therefore, he should be gone for a half-year to a year.

It's time for Bettman to put his foot down and tell the players and the fans that this **** will not be tolerated. Any less than rest of the year + playoffs would be a joke, and the NHL would instantly lose the small semblance of credibility it has left.

McSorley's tirade was disgusting. Bertuzzi then ended someone's career, and got off lightly for what he did. Now, Simon should be done, for a LONG, LONG time.
the main difference between the 2 incidents you use and Simon is that those 2 guys went out of there way to do what they did while Simon's was sort of a heat of the moment kind of thing. I think Simon's incident compares better with what Tony Granato did in 1994 and got 15 games for(ie hitting Wilkenson in the head with a stick after wilkenson hit him in a somewhat questionable way)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxman View Post
same as witt, we all hate him but if he played for us, we'd probably love him
Exactly......

Old
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

everyone here has made good points. I guess as a hockey fan I am more pissed that this happened because I love hockey and now it will continue to get a bad rap.