HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Simon suspended for remainder of season and playoffs

Old
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
Ban him for LIFE.

Nobody will miss Chris Simon.

IF you BAN him for LIFE, no NHL player in the future will EVER use the stick to the face like that EVER again.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Hazeltherabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Ban him for LIFE.

IF you BAN him for LIFE, no NHL player in the future will EVER use the stick to the face like that EVER again.
I have to agree. He needs to be expelled from the league.

Hazeltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcar67 View Post
Knowing that it's Soupy Campbell dishing out the penalty, I'd say 7-10 games. It should probably be more but if Neil didn't get anything for his hit on Drury and Janssens only got 3 games for his on Kaberle, I just don't see anything longer than 10 - if even that much.
Simon's play is not at all comparable to what Neil or Janssens did. At least those two guys make a hockey plays. There is not play in hockey which calls for swinging a stick at someone's mouth.

03-09-2007, 08:36 AM
25 A L I V E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeltherabbit View Post
I have to agree. He needs to be expelled from the league.
Short of actual on ice murder, I doubt the league would ban anyone nowadays.

25 A L I V E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:42 AM
chosen

I've been a fan for many years and that was on a par with Maki slamming his stick on Green's skull, something I'm sure most of you don't remember. It was far worse than the Bertuzzi incident but thankfully with a much better outcome. If I were Hollweg I'd consider suing him for assault.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Seriously just stop. The guy is not a classless clown. He's one of the better guys in the league who did something horrible.
Sorry. Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanhan, Nik Lidstrom are relly good guys. Not Chris Simon. Methinks you might want to reel it back a bit with the better guys in the league stuff.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 03-09-2007 at 08:52 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hazeltherabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 A L I V E View Post
Short of actual on ice murder, I doubt the league would ban anyone nowadays.
Thats too bad. There is no room in the sport for things like that. I am glad Simon is not a Pred.

Hazeltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
the fact is that he is a good guy. Everyone knows it.
If he was a "good guy" before he certainly no longer is. Hard to fathom that anyone could have anything positive to say about someone who tried to kill another person, and make no mistake about it, what Simon did was attempted murder.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

For what its worth from Newdays Zipay:
Quote:
For the ugly reaction, Simon was immediately ejected, but should be suspended indefinitely---today not tomorrow---for the rest of the regular season at least, and 20 games into next year.

Anything less sends the wrong message.
Quote:
The Rangers' Steve Avery compared the blow to Marty McSorley's two-handed stick attack from behind on Donald Brashear, a shameful incident that wound up with McSorley, then a Bruin, in a Vancouver courtroom in 2000, found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Anyone know who this steve guy is thats on the Rangers

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Stoney La Rock

I have always supported the NHL's police-it-yourself policy, but this time I think that the league needs to set a precedent. What Simon did was not only stupid, dangerous, and verging on criminal, but it gives the NHL another black eye, another reason for non-fans to tsk-tsk about how violent and barbaric the sport of hockey is. Had that stick landed a few inches in either direction, we could well be discussing a career-ending injury to Hollweg or worse. Simon needs to be held accountable. He owed his teammates better, he owed the sport of hockey better, and he owes his fellow players better. I don't care if he snapped. I don't care if he had one of those moments where judgment goes out the window. It was a selfish act, and he should be out of the league for it. The NHL should implement a no-tolerance rule when it comes to this kind of crap, because it has no place in the game.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
ran1gers

For those who have it taped, play it in slow motion you can see Simon get up and follow his eyes, as he stands up he is already looking for Ryan. He starts to skate toward him and has an almost menacing look on his face. The nurons in his pea sized brain had already fired and made the decision to strike with his stick to the throat (Lucky he missed). Eveyone who has played the sport on any level knows where they are slashing or chopping at another player. He had intent. Much like McSorley...I think he got about 44 games for that, plus he was never brought back into the league by any team and was charged with assault...not a bad idea here either. Simon my friend, you need to go...terrible decision on your part. As if your role as an enforcer hasn't already taken a hit in this new No Hit League.

ran1gers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
25 A L I V E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1gers View Post
For those who have it taped, play it in slow motion you can see Simon get up and follow his eyes, as he stands up he is already looking for Ryan. He starts to skate toward him and has an almost menacing look on his face. The nurons in his pea sized brain had already fired and made the decision to strike with his stick to the throat (Lucky he missed). Eveyone who has played the sport on any level knows where they are slashing or chopping at another player. He had intent. Much like McSorley...I think he got about 44 games for that, plus he was never brought back into the league by any team and was charged with assault...not a bad idea here either. Simon my friend, you need to go...terrible decision on your part. As if your role as an enforcer hasn't already taken a hit in this new No Hit League.
McSorely recieved a 23 game suspension.

25 A L I V E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
I have always supported the NHL's police-it-yourself policy, but this time I think that the league needs to set a precedent. What Simon did was not only stupid, dangerous, and verging on criminal, but it gives the NHL another black eye, another reason for non-fans to tsk-tsk about how violent and barbaric the sport of hockey is. Had that stick landed a few inches in either direction, we could well be discussing a career-ending injury to Hollweg or worse. Simon needs to be held accountable. He owed his teammates better, he owed the sport of hockey better, and he owes his fellow players better. I don't care if he snapped. I don't care if he had one of those moments where judgment goes out the window. It was a selfish act, and he should be out of the league for it. The NHL should implement a no-tolerance rule when it comes to this kind of crap, because it has no place in the game.
The Simon play was not an example of policing themselves. If Simon had gone over and challenged Hollweg, that would have been.

Old
03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Ban him for LIFE.

I don't think you can say that. In the heat of battle, anything can happen and players will always react first to what they want to do before thinking what they should be doing.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Simon play was not an example of policing themselves. If Simon had gone over and challenged Hollweg, that would have been.
I didn't explain it right - that's not what I was referring to. By police-it-yourself, I meant the league and its history of dealing with these incidents in-house and not necessarily doling out the punishments one would expect - i.e. a few game suspension when the media is clamoring for criminal charges to be filed. Believe me, I don't feel that punishment should be dictated by the media or anyone else, but it's time for the league to take a firm stance about what will be tolerated and what won't be. These incidents are not so "isolated" anymore.

Old
03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 A L I V E View Post
McSorely recieved a 23 game suspension.
The following off season it was increase to one full calendar year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ts/1012327.stm

It would look really good on Simon if the Islanders missed the playoffs by a single point .

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Briannj1970

I have to side with those who think that legal action is in order for this one. There's certain actions within sports that work within the guidelines of the rules and what the NHL is capable of in terms of doling out punishment. Then you have something like this that goes so far above and beyond that nothing less than police action will do. I could care less about how sorry he probably feels and how bad he feels for what he had done. I think he needs to be made poster child for what NOT to do in the NHL.

Clear intent to injure. Regardless of Holliweg getting up and being okay, Simon deserves nothing less than to be banned from the game and to have the police take a look into it.

Briannj1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I didn't explain it right - that's not what I was referring to. By police-it-yourself, I meant the league and its history of dealing with these incidents in-house and not necessarily doling out the punishments one would expect - i.e. a few game suspension when the media is clamoring for criminal charges to be filed. Believe me, I don't feel that punishment should be dictated by the media or anyone else, but it's time for the league to take a firm stance about what will be tolerated and what won't be. These incidents are not so "isolated" anymore.
Wasn't trying to isolate your post.

This play wasn't anything close to being hockey related. If Simon had cross checked Hollweg in the face, it's a dirty play but it's at least close to a hockey realated move.

For that reason, the penalty should be severe.

Old
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Some people seem to be saying the same thing. "Simon is a class act player who lost his cool," "He looked sorry in his interview." That does NOT matter, if I break a rule, then look sorry and regretful, being the good guy I am, does not take away from the fact that I broke a rule. If we go by some of your (no induvidual person on here, just in general) rationale, as long as we are sorry we can do whatever we want. That's not how it works.
Hollweg is how much smaller than him? I thought Simon was an enforcer? This isn't the first time either. I think Simon should touch up on his golf swing.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

New chant.

Dun Dun Dun Dun-Dun; Dun Dun Dun Dun-Dun; Dun Dun Dun Dun-Dun; Dun Dun Dun... SIMON SUCKS!!!!

Drop Potvin, that was so long ago. Simon tried to KILL one of our players. He deserves the chant now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I don't think you can say that. In the heat of battle, anything can happen and players will always react first to what they want to do before thinking what they should be doing.
The heat of battle happens every game, and you don't see players using their sticks to clothesline someone every game. Not only is it common sense not to do so, but young hockey players have it drilled into their heads not to use their sticks as a weapon. Simon knew better. I don't care what his excuse is.

Old
03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Everyone seems to be saying the same thing. "Simon is a class act player who lost his cool," "He looked sorry in his interview." That does NOT matter, if I break a rule, then look sorry and regretful, being the good guy I am, does not take away from the fact that I broke a rule. If we go by some of your (no induvidual person on here, just in general) rationale, as long as we are sorry we can do whatever we want. That's not how it works.
Hollweg is how much smaller than him? I thought Simon was an enforcer? This isn't the first time either. I think Simon should touch up on his golf swing.
Losing your cool is one thing. If Simon had dropped the glove and went after Hollweg that would have been one thing. Ditto if he cross-checked him the face. That's what you do if you loose your cool. But when he lined him up and swung a stick in his face that's somehting completely else.

Old
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I've been a fan for many years and that was on a par with Maki slamming his stick on Green's skull, something I'm sure most of you don't remember. It was far worse than the Bertuzzi incident but thankfully with a much better outcome. If I were Hollweg I'd consider suing him for assault.
Regrettably being as old or older than you, I do remember the incident very well. For the younger posters. Maki hit Ted Green(yesterday's ChRIS Simon) with a two hander over the head.Green did not wear a helmet since helmets were not mandatory. Green could never play again nor did he ever fully recover mentally from the hit though he did coach in the NHL. He experienced incredible neurological difficulties. Hollweg will be lucky to escape with a few stitches. Simon must be held accountable for his actions. Once again a season long suspension is warranted.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
TrevorJ

Dirty hit and he should face the music for it, but what about the non-call on the hit from behind? Simon looked like he wasn't all there when he swung the stick.

Lots of comparisons to McSorley that I don't agree with. He should not play again this spring and a large part of next fall but not sure this should cost him his career.

TrevorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
The heat of battle happens every game, and you don't see players using their sticks to clothesline someone every game. Not only is it common sense not to do so, but young hockey players have it drilled into their heads not to use their sticks as a weapon. Simon knew better. I don't care what his excuse is.
You're correct, this type of stuff happens hundreds if not thousands of times without any incident...before someone snaps and does something they probably regret later.

My point of the post was to say, IF the NHL suspended Simon for life, we would still have this type of incident happen again.

And I don't think this type of incident is only happening in just the NHL but also in junior leagues, beer leagues, European leagues, you name it.

It's hockey and sometimes crap happens.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote