HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Simon suspended for remainder of season and playoffs

Old
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The result is not the issue. It was a clean hit. It's not Hollweg's responsibilty to ensure Simons' head doesn't hit the glass.
So the Hill hit on Avery which put him onto the ice and into the boards headfirst should have been a penalty as well by that standard. Clean hit, but you know, his head did hit the boards.

Gotta love the fans out there that have seen what, 2 out of 500 body checks by Hollweg that have been boarding. I mean legitimate boarding. Half of his penalties are marginal. He'll hit the guy on the shoulder and he'll turn into the boards, just like Simon did. Then he gets these horrible charging and boarding calls for open ice hits where he stopped taking strides 30 feet before contact. There is no doubt that Hollweg has a rep around the league but you can argue that much of it is biased perceptions. He has taken some bad penalties for some bad hits, but he's always stepped up and taken full responsiblity... even before his hearing.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Just listened to Gretzky on ESPN radio and he went into the role of the inforcer with Dan Patrick. Partrick actually defended hockey because they were getting alot of emails making this whole thing with violence and hockey compared to other sports a RACIAL thing.
IM not even gonna get into tahat because its absurd.
I heard the racial angle.How White America has no problem with two whites guys fighting in the NHL but would scream if two brothers in the NBA got into a fight?Talk about a moronic point of view.These idiots don't realize that fighting is part of the NHL.When two guys fight,they receive 5 minute majors for fighting.Fighting in the hockey is accepted as part of the game.In the NBA,two guys fighting will be suspended because fighting isn't part of the NBA.Besides,the NBA fights aren't fights

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
neversummer

Jacked from behind

I'm not surprised that someone finally lost their cool. On any given shift guys are jacking each other from behind. Sometimes its called, most times its not. To me anyone who hits someone in the back is a coward. Hollweg's hit was clean....bearly. Its not his fault, this is how we finish our checks nowadays. planting someones head into the boards from behind is not cool or tough. Who teaches these Euros to check, they are the worst offenders. Its usually way late too. Finishing your check has become planting a guy ten minutes after he passes the puck, usually with your hands or arms instead of your shoulder.
Hollweg should not have talked to the media either. He was all happy and jolly. He at least should have played the victim and said, "Simon could have ended my career tonight, and I hope the league takes action."
I wrote something like this just last week and it was moved by the HF gods in five minutes to some junk yard, I don't know where. Anyone here think hitting a guy from behind into the glass, who can't see you coming is cool, or thinks its cool when it happens to your favorite player?????

neversummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I heard the racial angle.How White America has no problem with two whites guys fighting in the NHL but would scream if two brothers in the NBA got into a fight?Talk about a moronic point of view.These idiots don't realize that fighting is part of the NHL.When two guys fight,they receive 5 minute majors for fighting.Fighting in the hockey is accepted as part of the game.In the NBA,two guys fighting will be suspended because fighting isn't part of the NBA.Besides,the NBA fights aren't fights
Yeah most non-fans have no clue how this game is played and have even less knowledge of its history and the dynamics off the ice.

And I guess those who emailed in didnt realize that Simon is Native American and one of the biggest goons in the sport is Brashear and one of the best fighters is Laraque.

This is what im talking about, suddenly you get all these experts on the sport (black, white, so forth, it doesnt matter) and its relation to everything else but they never once went to a game, laced up a pair of skates themselves, or even made an attempt to get into the sport for what it is. Maybe they would actually love the game for what it really is.

The ignorance is what kills me. It really upsets me because hockey players are the nicest guys and go above and beyond with charities and community benefits more than any other sports and i follow them all. They are no better than any other athletes, but they dont deserve the mass stereotyping either.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-09-2007 at 02:13 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer View Post
I'm not surprised that someone finally lost their cool. On any given shift guys are jacking each other from behind. Sometimes its called, most times its not. To me anyone who hits someone in the back is a coward. Hollweg's hit was clean....bearly. Its not his fault, this is how we finish our checks nowadays. planting someones head into the boards from behind is not cool or tough. Who teaches these Euros to check, they are the worst offenders. Its usually way late too. Finishing your check has become planting a guy ten minutes after he passes the puck, usually with your hands or arms instead of your shoulder.
Hollweg should not have talked to the media either. He was all happy and jolly. He at least should have played the victim and said, "Simon could have ended my career tonight, and I hope the league takes action."
I wrote something like this just last week and it was moved by the HF gods in five minutes to some junk yard, I don't know where. Anyone here think hitting a guy from behind into the glass, who can't see you coming is cool, or thinks its cool when it happens to your favorite player?????
Hollweg did the smart thing with the media, all he said was he was happy that his team won the game.... You cant discriminate against a guy for being happy that his team won.... The media was bombarding him with questions, the stupid thing to do would be to put the NHL on the spot by saying "Simon could have ended my career tonight, and I hope the league takes action." Let him handle himself on the ice not off.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:

Listen, I'm sick and tired of hearing this bullcrap about hitting from behind. If the officials aren't calling it, blame them. Hollweg gets an unfair rap as far as I'm concerned, and Simon made a hit on Prucha Tuesday night which was worse as far as I'm concerned, it was high and from behind, luckily Prucha only came away with a couple cuts from his visor. Simons elbow may have been tucked, but he led with his forearm into Prucha's head on the boards and glass.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1gers View Post
You gotta love this guy....

"Let's just see if Colin Campbell finally does something about this stuff and doesn't give him three games like he gave that other meathead from New Jersey," Avery said.

If you're okay with Avery saying that, then you should all be okay with Witt's *****ing after the game.

Works both ways.

Personally, I'm not okay with either. I know Witt's pissed, but keep it to yourself and give the media the general "unfortunate bounce" crap.

And Avery should just keep his mouth closed. I don't want to hear anything about "dirty play" from that guy. Not excusing what Simon did by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
There's some decent Isles fans, they really shine when something like this happens. But unfortunately you also realize what insane homers 90% of them are. Don't know **** about hockey, just know Isles never lose isles are never wrong etc etc. Pathetic. Just like the Isle fan who was behind the glass right when it happened, stood up and was clapping and cheering ecstatically. Totally disgusting.
WHAT? Have you even been to the Isles board today? I don't think ANYONE has defended Simon. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have him dress in an Isles uniform again.

I STILL can't fathom it.

And to that fan cheering - trash. Just ignore the idiots like that.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
The media drives me crazy when something like this happens and they jump on the ban fighting in the NHL bandwagon. What happened last night wasn't fighting. It was one player who lost his common sense and did something stupid and dangerous. They're two separate issues.

I'm probably going to get slammed for using this as an example, but think about the Tyson/Holyfield debacle. There are parallels to be drawn. Everyone knows that any time two fighters step into the boxing ring, there is potential for serious injury, and hockey is the same way for a multitude of reasons. However, just like everyone thought that Tyson crossed the line with his ear biting, Simon crossed the line last night, and that is not the type of sportsmanship or retaliation that anyone wants to see in any sport. I don't care if the people involved are black, white, or purple. There are standards to be upheld. If Simon had come back with his fists instead of his stick, most people would have respected that. Instead, he acted like a thug. Had there simply been a fight between Simon and Hollweg after Hollweg's hit, it wouldn't have made any headlines at all.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
If you're okay with Avery saying that, then you should all be okay with Witt's *****ing after the game.

Works both ways.

Personally, I'm not okay with either. I know Witt's pissed, but keep it to yourself and give the media the general "unfortunate bounce" crap.

And Avery should just keep his mouth closed. I don't want to hear anything about "dirty play" from that guy. Not excusing what Simon did by any means.

WHAT? Have you even been to the Isles board today? I don't think ANYONE has defended Simon. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have him dress in an Isles uniform again.

I STILL can't fathom it.

And to that fan cheering - trash. Just ignore the idiots like that.
Yeah i don't think many Isles fans are defending Simon. How could you?

Old
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah most non-fans have no clue how this game is played and have even less knowledge of its history and the dynamics off the ice.

And I guess those who emailed in didnt realize that Simon is Native American and one of the biggest goons in the sport is Brashear and one of the best fighters is Laraque.

This is what im talking about, suddenly you get all these experts on the sport (black, white, asian... etc. it doesnt matter) and its relation to everything else but they never once went to a game or laced up a pair of skates themselves.

The ignorance is what kills me. It really upsets me because hockey players are the nicest guys and go above and beyond with charities and community benefits.
Wait until the black caucus finds out Simon got a three game suspension ten years ago for calling Mike Grier the N word

Simon snapped when he was a Ranger three years ago when he attacked Ruslan Fedotenko.Sam Rosen and JD were rendered speechless.Fedotenko cleanly checked Simon who responded by punching Fedotenko in the back of the head,slashing him,cross-checking him to the ice and then jumped on up of Fedotenko and starting punching him in the head.Simon received only two games for that

Old
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Once again this arguement has NO merit what so ever. The hit was borderline penalty at best. Even if it was completely from behind, you do NOT two hand someone across the face, because that is not cowardly (It is probably the MOST cowardly thing a person can do in hockey). Hollweg did the CLASSY thing and did not say anything directly about Simon and tried to focus the interview on the team winning the game. Hollweg not being able to see the stick flying at his face (which, if a faction of an inch lower, could have killed him) is cool to.

If you don't like the way a player is playing against your team, send out your biggest and best fighter and fight the guy. You don't two-hand someone across the face because you do not like the way he plays. The only uniform Simon should be wearing next is prison orange. There is something coming up in ESPN next about the incident and something about criminal charged being assessed to Simon.

EDIT: They didn't say anything because of the basketball game going into OT. Could be interesting to see if there will be charges brought against Simon.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 03-09-2007 at 02:33 PM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Who teaches these Euros to check, they are the worst offenders.
Now Hollweg is European?

Jees you have no clue do you?

Old
03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Campbell, the NHL's chief disciplinarian, spent Friday, trying to schedule a face-to-face meeting with Simon to review the play, either in New York or Toronto.

The suspicion is that Simon would receive a significant penalty, perhaps in the 12-to-15-game range, for the attack
Quote:
He's been suspended five other times by the NHL already, the most severe coming in 1994, a five-game penalty for slashing the Ottawa Senators' Dennis Vial to the head, when Simon was with the Quebec Nordiques.

Simon also received a two-game suspension for kneeing Sergei Zubov; two games for crosschecking Ruslan Fedotenko; two games for elbowing Anders Eriksson; and one game for crosschecking Peter Popovic in the playoffs
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Old
03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Duhatschek: NHL needs to send a message with Simon

Quote:
One-, two- or three game suspensions generally do not resonate with NHL players in any meaningful way (unless it's Ottawa Senators' goaltender Ray Emery, who was in the midst of a nice personal roll when he got dinged last month and hasn't quite been the same player ever since).

No, a suspension needs to approach or spill into the double figures before it makes any sort of an impression. Then you get the players' attention on a couple of levels. First, they're suspended without pay (and the days of teams quietly slipping the money back to the players as a post-season bonus are long gone). Moreover, you also put their jobs in jeopardy, especially the fringe guys, the ones like Simon and Janssen who, from game to game and night to night, really can't afford to let someone else take their place in the line-up, for fear that they may never get their jobs back
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...beSportsHockey

Old
03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Simon has some rap sheet

Old
03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Simon has some rap sheet
yea he should get at least the rest of the season. if he gets less than that the league is a joke.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Who teaches these Euros to check, they are the worst offenders.
Dang I must have missed the memo. I guess California is in Europe now!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Forget_The_Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
he is a piece of ****. Hollweg had concussion problems in his junior career. this couldve ****ing killed him. big man. damn im 16 and i want to get on that ice and beat the **** out of simon. AHHHHHH
LMAO! trying to act tough over the internet.

if there was a fight between you and simon, my money is on him.

Forget_The_Past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forget_The_Past View Post
LMAO! trying to act tough over the internet.

if there was a fight between you and simon, my money is on him.
I'll put 500 Vbucks on Simon

I haven't seen one regular poster on the Isles board defend the hit. Most of us are all of the same opinion that he should get a nice suspension. If any of them are defending it, they're just trolling, ignore them.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Forget_The_Past

I'm not defending the hit, I'm just laughing at that collinsjimster acting like a tough guy over the internet.

Forget_The_Past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...elateds-sports

Nassau DA looking into the incident whether or not Simon commited a crime and be charged.

And apparently Simon suffered a concussion coming from the Isles doctor...which I don't buy for a second, a weak attempt IMO to try to make it look like he was a victim.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:03 PM
GarretJoseph*

Imagine if it was Jagr & Not Hollweg.. Or Crosby?

What the media is doing with it now.. times it by 1000 if it was a super star player.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
he is a piece of ****. Hollweg had concussion problems in his junior career. this couldve ****ing killed him. big man. damn im 16 and i want to get on that ice and beat the **** out of simon. AHHHHHH
lmao kick his ass dude!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Melanson

Quote:
"Let's just see if Colin Campbell finally does something about this stuff and doesn't give him three games like he gave that other meathead from New Jersey," Avery said.
"Hey pot...you're black!"

Sincerely,
The Kettle

Avery is saying something about Janssens and Simon? Are we forgetting his spear of Witt in the 3rd game of this season?

That being said, what Simon did was disgusting and doesn't belong in the game...period. This is the same guy who, when he was on the Rangers, continually punched Scatchard in the head with his glove still on when he knew Scatch couldn't fight because he had a brace on his hand. He loses it from time to time. He needs to sit for at least a year IMO.

We are all lucky Simon's stick didn't hit him higher on the face...it could have killed him. Nobody should be defending that.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...elateds-sports

Nassau DA looking into the incident whether or not Simon commited a crime and be charged.

And apparently Simon suffered a concussion coming from the Isles doctor...which I don't buy for a second, a weak attempt IMO to try to make it look like he was a victim.
Yeah, that smacks of him pulling the old "i was knocked loopy, i didn't have control of myself, i actually can barely remember what i did, blah blah blah" defense if he does get charged with a crime. The simple fact is, as horrified as i was when i saw the footage, i wasn't really that surprised because i knew it was Simon that did it. He's been toeing the edge separating the deep end from the rest of the pool his whole career, and his suspension sheet shows it. He's never had any respect for his opponents, and this is just the most blatant example, in a career full of them, of how much of a psychotic punk he really is. His indefinite suspension should stay indefinite ... he should never play another game.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote