HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie in Phoenix - Paul Mara out with Flu Coincidense?

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 07:13 PM
AVE MAN

vCash: 500
Comrie in Phoenix - Paul Mara out with Flu Coincidense?

I dunno maybe this is purely a coincidense, but the Oilers were at one time very interested in Paul Mara, tonight he's out with the "flu". Comrie is in Phoenix. Could there be a deal soon to be announced for Paul Mara, or is this just a strange coincidense?

Old
12-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Scorpion88

Chalk me up for COINCIDENCE.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Strange coincidence, nothing more. Trust me, Paul Mara ain't goin' anywhere...

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Old
12-12-2003, 07:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

I think they want to meet with Lowe

Chalk it up to coincidence IMO.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Yet, during the 2nd intermission interview w/ Principe, Lowe said that he hadn't had any contact with Winter or Comrie in Phoenix.

Why come to Phoenix if they're not going to talk to Lowe?

Old
12-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Oiltalk

Man Mara would be a breath of fresh air. However I'm sure Comrie and Winter are just trying to spice things up with the media by heading down to Phoenix.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:35 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Yet, during the 2nd intermission interview w/ Principe, Lowe said that he hadn't had any contact with Winter or Comrie in Phoenix.

I wondered that too, but I figure it's just a matter of Lowe not saying a damn thing to the media from here on out. He's going chat with Comrie, but you won't hear that from him...

Old
12-12-2003, 07:36 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:

Well I know the Comries are friends of the Gretzkys, but I mean the timing and all. I don't even know if 99 is in Arizona.

Certainly peculiar.

I'm sure Brownlee will have all the facts tomorrow........lol.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Allan

Just because MCI and Lowe haven't talked doesn't mean that the two sides couldn't both have talked to Barnett.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Chayos

Quote:

To take a PHO physical.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Man Mara would be a breath of fresh air. However I'm sure Comrie and Winter are just trying to spice things up with the media by heading down to Phoenix.
Why spend the money to come to some random NHL city unless there is something on the go. I can see Comrie in PHO as they have a lot of D-men to spare and they have some ok prospects

Old
12-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
To take a PHO physical.
That one popped into my head right after I posted my query. Certainly possible, maybe Barnett wants to get all his ducks in a row before he gives an official offer for Comrie's rights to Lowe.

Or maybe Comrie felt like knocking on Lowe's hotel room door, then running away like the scamp he is before Lowe comes out.

Lowe: "Damn kids..."
MC: "Hee hee hee..."

Old
12-12-2003, 09:13 PM
SunshinesDad

Quote:
That one popped into my head right after I posted my query. Certainly possible, maybe Barnett wants to get all his ducks in a row before he gives an official offer for Comrie's rights to Lowe.

Or maybe Comrie felt like knocking on Lowe's hotel room door, then running away like the scamp he is before Lowe comes out.

Lowe: "Damn kids..."
MC: "Hee hee hee..."
Comrie can talk to Lowe anytime without leaving Edmonton. It doesn't make sense to go all the way to Phoenix just to talk to Lowe unless he is expecting to finalize things with Lowe before Sunday so he will just go on to Anaheim?

I really hope that Lowe has moved on from that Anaheim deal but there has been no official notification that the Ducks deal is off the table.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Silver

I guess there is always the off chance that Winter and Comrie wanted to hit the links this weekend...

Old
12-12-2003, 10:06 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
Comrie can talk to Lowe anytime without leaving Edmonton. It doesn't make sense to go all the way to Phoenix just to talk to Lowe unless he is expecting to finalize things with Lowe before Sunday so he will just go on to Anaheim?

I really hope that Lowe has moved on from that Anaheim deal but there has been no official notification that the Ducks deal is off the table.
But, why wouldn't Comrie and Winter just fly to Anaheim if the two teams are close to a deal? Why waste time going to Phoenix first when you could just go straight to Anaheim. Something definitely has to be up and I wouldn't be surprised if Comrie is no longer an Oiler when the Oilers arrive back into town.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
But, why wouldn't Comrie and Winter just fly to Anaheim if the two teams are close to a deal? Why waste time going to Phoenix first when you could just go straight to Anaheim. Something definitely has to be up and I wouldn't be surprised if Comrie is no longer an Oiler when the Oilers arrive back into town.
I think the oil got a better deal from PHO and he is there to do his Physical and Contract. Just a hunch but i could see him in the Next PHO game MIN on monday.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:41 PM
thistle

If some how we could wrangle Taffe & Mara for Comrie + horcoff and/or laraque I'd be ecstatic! Not bloody well likely though...

Old
12-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
If some how we could wrangle Taffe & Mara for Comrie + horcoff and/or laraque I'd be ecstatic! Not bloody well likely though...
I'll second that: Taffe & Mara would be more than welcome (not to mention someone like Bierk). I also think that's pretty unlikely, too.

I'm not sure if this whole Ducks debacle has changed Lowe's ability to negotiate-if anything, it's shown he's ready to deal.

Old
12-13-2003, 03:38 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
I don't want to burst your bubble guys, because I know that you would like to see someone (valuable) added to the roster for an asset like Comrie, who's been sitting in his laz-y-boy all season - However, PHO really does not need another center. Especially a small 'offense-only-type' like Briere. He was very popular with fans, media and the team, but he also was a defensive liability. BFrancis HATES that! That's why he was dished to BUF...

In any case, Mara is not available, IMHO. He is too young with too much upside to trade him at this point. However, could you imagine the Oil's 'D' with Brewer AND Mara... Scary...

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Old
12-13-2003, 04:11 AM
Mr Sakich

I don't think the yotes are good trading partners. They are absolutely loaded at centre. Behind Langkow they have:

Hrdina - on pace for 20 pts this season
Gratton - on pace for 28 points this season
Sillinger - on pace for 17 points this season
Taffe - on pace for 8 points this season.

I am sure that barnet is real happy with this group. These guys are expensive as well - 6 mill for this pile of crap.

Why would Barnet want a guy who costs 1.65 mill and could outscore these four combined? If Barnet isn't the worst gm in hockey, then he isn't trying hard enough.

Old
12-13-2003, 04:21 AM
Jerky Leclerc

The LA Times report Winters and Comrie were heading to Pheonix to meet with Lowe.

The OC Register took a more cautious approach and reported what Lowe said and that there was no scheduled meeting between the two sides.

Murray said in both papers that there are a few players on the market but he can't do anything until the Comrie thing is resolved. Comrie asked him to wait a few days so they could work out an agreement with Lowe. If Winters and Comrie are working another deal to another team, they would not have asked Murray to hold up on making other deals. There are four more days until the trade freeze goes into effect.

So why are Winters and Comrie in Pheonix? There is no doubt in my mind that they are meeting with Lowe. Are they hoping to drop by unexpectantly like long lost cousins during the holidays? I doubt it. Agents won't waste there time doing that. I say Mr. Lowe hasn't been too honest with the media.

Old
12-13-2003, 05:58 AM
SunshinesDad

Are you kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
If Winters and Comrie are working another deal to another team, they would not have asked Murray to hold up on making other deals. There are four more days until the trade freeze goes into effect.
Winter and Comrie would do anything they need to do to get him playing again. Comrie has walked out on and screwed over many teams in the past, why not add Anaheim to his list. I am not saying he is doing that but you can't be naive enough to think that he wouldn't.

It is called keeping all options open. Same reason why you interview at many different places when looking for a job and might get offers from a couple different ones.

Old
12-13-2003, 06:03 AM
hockeyaddict101

Lo and behold he does. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Well I know the Comries are friends of the Gretzkys, but I mean the timing and all. I don't even know if 99 is in Arizona.

Certainly peculiar.

I'm sure Brownlee will have all the facts tomorrow........lol.
According to Brownlee, Comrie and Winter are trying to get Anaheim to rework the deal and here is the link.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031213/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Also interestingly in the Journal (which seems to be Lowe's mouthpiece) Comrie will most likely be dealt by December 19th as the offers have gotten better since the Anaheim episode.

Old
12-13-2003, 06:33 AM
AVE MAN

I think this Comrie thing is pretty close to being complete; however, I very much doubt the team he's going to is the Ducks. I think Lowe got a better offer while he was negotiating with ANA and thats why he asked for the 2.5mil. (to stall the deal) Don't forget last year everyone thought Niinimaa was going to Torornto for Tucker. Then during that negotiation NYI stepped upped and offered a better package. I really wouldn't be surprised if we hear something today. I think Comrie could very well be going to PHO and Mara could very well be part of the package coming back. Gretzky has always been quite fond of Comrie.

Old
12-13-2003, 07:02 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
According to Brownlee, Comrie and Winter are trying to get Anaheim to rework the deal and here is the link.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031213/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Also interestingly in the Journal (which seems to be Lowe's mouthpiece) Comrie will most likely be dealt by December 19th as the offers have gotten better since the Anaheim episode.

Does this mean Lupul is back on the table? Or maybe Rucchin?

Closed Thread