HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replace Souray

Old
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Replace Souray

Ok here is a little game I thought up. I think we can all agree, for the most part, that Souray is gone, either because he wants to leave or because he will get more money that the team is willing to pay.

I think to keep Souray in Montreal will require a $6 million contract. That's way too much, but keep in mind everything that Souray brings to the table.

So the point of the game is to replace what Souray brings with *around* $6 million worth of free agent aquisitions. You need to be realistic with what the free agents will accept too, so no cheap contracts for top players.

I know it's hard to judge who will be signed because ultimately, it's the players' choice whether they sign or not, and situations change, but it's just for fun.

Here are my picks:

1. Georges Laraque: $1 million - I was wrong about this guy last year. He's not done, he can still get the job done and would replace Souray's toughness and heart.
2. Sami Salo: $3.2 million - He's basically a clone of Souray before his breakout season (hard shot, injury prone) but better defensively. He's probably better than Souray overall.
3. Kimmo Timonen: $3.8 million - He's an awesome defenceman on both sides of the ice. Good leadership too.

Total: $8 million. It's a bit more than what Souray would get, but it brings ALOT of value to the team.

I may have undervalued what Timonen will get though. It's hard to say with d-men.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Laraque is not a free agent.

I think Salo would be a top choice for me. At a reasonable rate around 3, it would probably cost us closer to 4 to get him out of Vancouver. He is a good PP guy with a right handed shot and is actually solid defensively and has always been a + player.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:41 PM
SOLR

I like your 2 D moves, but I dont want Laraque.(and hes signed past this year ?? no?)

Mcgrattan is gonna be available? I really want a crazy fighter as well, but not @ 1m.

I think Timonen will get 4.5m.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Timonen would be awesome because he is a awesome D-man but that would put us terribly small and weak physsicly on defence. Timonen, Bouillon, Streit, Gorges outch thats way too small and weak to compete.

and he will cost more close to 5 mil$+.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Quiet Robert

To me both Timonen and Salo will get more than the prices you listed.

Timonen is one of the most underrated dmen in the league. I'd rank him just a shade below Markov. He's going to get 4.5+ imo.

Salo as you said has a lot of positives going for him. He's not as physical as Souray, and I don't know if he brings the same leadership but he does have the hard shot and he's a solid defensive guy. I could see him getting around 4 million.

For Souray's toughness factor, you can replace that with a waiver wire enforcer pickup, so about 450K.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Laraque isn't UFA this season, so you might have to re-think that one.

I'd probably sign Salo, but I think it would take more than $3.2 million. Maybe $4 or $4.3 million. My second choice would be Hannan, but he's not exactly Souray's type.
In terms of character I'm not sure you're going to pick up someone. If Aucoin's bought out and will sign a cheap contract (and we can unload one of Dandenault or Bouillon) then I might pick him up. There is of course Smyth, but I think $5.5 million is too much for what he brings to the table.

I'd then try my damnedest to bring Emelin over.

03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

My mistake, I thought Laraque only had a 1 year deal.

Timonen might get over $4 mill...If that's the case, take away from the mill I set aside for Laraque and give it to Kimmo.

For the enforcer, I'm sure someone else is out there. I'd have to think it over.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
GoHabsGO252006

another player that greatly interests me is Schneider. Sure he is getting older, but he's still offers a great first pass, solid D and veteran leadership.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

My original choice was Norstrom, but he's signed past this year. I was really hoping he'd be UFA.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:48 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Vitaly Vishnevski is another guy that could fit in, he offers a very high physical aspect and is a devastating hitter.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
another player that greatly interests me is Schneider. Sure he is getting older, but he's still offers a great first pass, solid D and veteran leadership.
Mat is someone I thought about but ultimately, he's not that great defensively anymore. I don't think he can play the same minutes like he used to.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ok here is a little game I thought up. I think we can all agree, for the most part, that Souray is gone, either because he wants to leave or because he will get more money that the team is willing to pay.

I think to keep Souray in Montreal will require a $6 million contract. That's way too much, but keep in mind everything that Souray brings to the table.

So the point of the game is to replace what Souray brings with *around* $6 million worth of free agent aquisitions. You need to be realistic with what the free agents will accept too, so no cheap contracts for top players.

I know it's hard to judge who will be signed because ultimately, it's the players' choice whether they sign or not, and situations change, but it's just for fun.

Here are my picks:

1. Georges Laraque: $1 million - I was wrong about this guy last year. He's not done, he can still get the job done and would replace Souray's toughness and heart.
2. Sami Salo: $3.2 million - He's basically a clone of Souray before his breakout season (hard shot, injury prone) but better defensively. He's probably better than Souray overall.
3. Kimmo Timonen: $3.8 million - He's an awesome defenceman on both sides of the ice. Good leadership too.

Total: $8 million. It's a bit more than what Souray would get, but it brings ALOT of value to the team.

I may have undervalued what Timonen will get though. It's hard to say with d-men.

I love your choices but can't see how Timonen or Salo cost less than 4 or 4,5 million

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Vitaly Vishnevski is another guy that could fit in, he offers a very high physical aspect and is a devastating hitter.
Another guy I thought about, but he doesn't have much gas in the tank and is always getting hurt.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
I love your choices but can't see how Timonen or Salo cost less than 4 or 4,5 million
I guess you're right...I really hate how the market for defensemen has gone up so much. It used to be that most top d-men got $5 mil max...Guys like Salo wouldn't go for more than $3 mil. Now, with top guys getting $7 mil, and mediocre guys getting $5 mil, it really screws everything up.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Shabutie

Tom motha****in Preissing boys.

Great first pass and reliable defensively...He won't get more than 3m.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Another guy I thought about, but he doesn't have much gas in the tank and is always getting hurt.
Lubomir Vishnovsky is 31, but Vitaly Vishnesky is only 27.

I can't say I follow either guy too closely, and I don't know which is UFA, but Lubo has turned into a fantastic offensive dman. One of the best in the league. He'd be a good fit here, although like Timonen, he doesn't bring much size.

I'd like a Vitaly type of guy too though. Big, tough guy who can hit and block shots. Wouldn't bring much offense though.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The reason I think these guys could potentially go for less is because alot of teams are getting strapped for cap space. There aren't many teams with the ability to be huge shoppers after the crazy contracts handed out last season and the teams that over-indulged. Also keep in mind that Salo and Timonen likely won't be the top FAs this summer, and the teams with money to spend will lose alot of cap space on the Brieres and the Drurys and all that.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
SOLR

I think Emelin is really a no brainer to bring in, particularly in this market.

Also, we could free ourselfves of Bouillon and play someone like Obyrne or Coté.

Markov-Timonen
Komisarek-Emelin
Streit-Dandenault
Bouillon, Coté.

Edit: Forgot Curious Gorges! lol

Last edited by SOLR: 03-09-2007 at 02:30 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Tom motha****in Preissing boys.

Great first pass and reliable defensively...He won't get more than 3m.
I didn't even know he was a FA. I'd definately consider him, he's not bad at all. Wasn't he a + player even when Ottawa was stinking it up the first half of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Lubomir Vishnovsky is 31, but Vitaly Vishnesky is only 27.

I can't say I follow either guy too closely, and I don't know which is UFA, but Lubo has turned into a fantastic offensive dman. One of the best in the league. He'd be a good fit here, although like Timonen, he doesn't bring much size.

I'd like a Vitaly type of guy too though. Big, tough guy who can hit and block shots. Wouldn't bring much offense though.
Vitaly is the FA, and I didn't mean it as he doesn't have much left in his career. I worded it wrong, i meant it like he doesn't have much in the tank to begin with. He deteriorates significantly by the end of the season, and I think after this year, we've had enough of that.

Old
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I guess you're right...I really hate how the market for defensemen has gone up so much. It used to be that most top d-men got $5 mil max...Guys like Salo wouldn't go for more than $3 mil. Now, with top guys getting $7 mil, and mediocre guys getting $5 mil, it really screws everything up.
Yeah, the market for dmen has gone crazy. I think it puts a huge premium on drafting though. I think that these days teams need to be able to draft good, young, NHL caliber dmen who can play the no.5/6 role for 500K to 900K.

Hopefully for us guys like Gorges, Emelin, Fischer, O'Byrne etc...will end up taking the Bouillon/Dandenault spots and we can spend more money on getting some top notch, top 4 guys.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I didn't even know he was a FA. I'd definately consider him, he's not bad at all. Wasn't he a + player even when Ottawa was stinking it up the first half of the year?
If I'm not mistaken, Preissing was leading the league for a good part of the first half of the year...even when the sens were struggling.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
znk

Quote:

Here are my picks:

Dude...before entering the thread those were the 2 names that I was thinking about. GJ.

But Salo will get something like $4-4.5 million.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Subban Fan

Gorges .5M as our 6th d-man...Ric Jackman .5M as our 7th d-man...Dan Briere 5.5M as our 1st center...

Total: 6.5M

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Gorges .5M as our 6th d-man...Ric Jackman .5M as our 7th d-man...Dan Briere 5.5M as our 1st center...

Total: 6.5M
Markov - Komisarek
Bouillon - Dandenault
Gorges - Streit
Jackman

Not a great D...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I was just chatting on IRC with some people who think that Zidlicky might be available should Nashville look to re-sign Timonen. If Souray does indeed bolt, Zidlicky would be a decent acquisition who's signed for 3 more seasons at $3.5 million per. He doesn't have the power shot Souray has, but he's very good on the PP, and is a good passer.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote