HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replace Souray

Old
03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Subban Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Markov - Komisarek
Bouillon - Dandenault
Gorges - Streit
Jackman

Not a great D...

I know but i'm sure we're better defensively with Gorges in the lineup instead of Sheldon "brain cramps" Souray...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Reuben

I hope the prices for defenceman level off soon, i hope the prices this summer aren't as outrageous as last year. perhaps the GM's will be less willing to throw boat loads of money around this summer, unfortunately it only takes one gm to give out an outrageous contract, and drive up the prices.

Salo might be an option depending on the money he's commanding, he's a right handed right defenceman who can play, which are a valueable commodity.imo

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I just don't see how we get a defenseman with a reputation like Salo or Timonen to come here. If they sign for $4M (Eric Brewer and Jay McKee money, remember), then I think that would only be because they're giving hometown discounts to their current teams because they're happy there. If their hometown teams can't afford them even with that discount, and the bidding goes onto the open market... well... the price goes upwards quickly (Kim Johnsson got over $4M too).

Laracque has nis NTC and he has a pretty good gig right now... his incentive to waive that and come here is... ?

I dunno, I imagine we'll be trawling the Plan D waters for rejects again if we can't get Souray signed. And in that scenario, trawling for the less pricey ones like Jackman and hoping for a miracle is better than looking for the next Samsonov IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Reuben

No more plans D's please. we are better of with nothing than a plan D

Old
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I was just chatting on IRC with some people who think that Zidlicky might be available should Nashville look to re-sign Timonen. If Souray does indeed bolt, Zidlicky would be a decent acquisition who's signed for 3 more seasons at $3.5 million per. He doesn't have the power shot Souray has, but he's very good on the PP, and is a good passer.
I think that Zidlicky would be a great option. Those people on IRC are pretty smart.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Laracque has nis NTC and he has a pretty good gig right now... his incentive to waive that and come here is... ?
I may be mistaken, but I think that once a player with a NTC waives it and is traded, the NTC no longer applies.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think that once a player with a NTC waives it and is traded, the NTC no longer applies.
Even if that was true (which wouldn't seem logical to me)... turn it around... the Pens just traded for Laracque because they desperately wanted a guy who could play and protect Sid. They are going to turn around and trade him to us because... ? We overpay massively for him? Because he gets in their doghouse too for his lackadaisicality like he did with Gretzky? Wait, why do we want a lackadaisical enforcer again?

I don't know, I guess Laracque just doesn't seem like any kind of solution I wanted to hear about, that's all.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Even if that was true (which wouldn't seem logical to me)... turn it around... the Pens just traded for Laracque because they desperately wanted a guy who could play and protect Sid. They are going to turn around and trade him to us because... ? We overpay massively for him? Because he gets in their doghouse too for his lackadaisicality like he did with Gretzky? Wait, why do we want a lackadaisical enforcer again?

I don't know, I guess Laracque just doesn't seem like any kind of solution I wanted to hear about, that's all.
I only suggested him because I thought he was going to be UFA.

He's still the heavyweight champ.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Reuben

we could definately use an super heavyweight enforcer who actually intimidates or scares the other team, we haven't had a guy like this in quite some time. it shouldn't be a top priority but definately needs to be addressed.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Where would Laraque fit in the lineup anyway? We have what seems to be an infinite supply of 3rd and 4th line players.

03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Where would Laraque fit in the lineup anyway? We have what seems to be an infinite supply of 3rd and 4th line players.
Carbo dresses about 72 defensemen per game. We could find room.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Carbo dresses about 72 defensemen per game. We could find room.
lol that got a pretty good laugh out of me.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Kimmo Timmonen would be great! Maybe sign Eric Belanger and a power forward?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
For a sec I thought you wrong "sign Belanger as a power forward" and I got really confused.

Guerin would look nice I think. He's still got it.

Old
03-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
yeah I would have to be blind to make that assessment. But Belanger is a fast player who would be a real solid 3rd-4th line player. BONUS: hes french

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I hope the prices for defenceman level off soon, i hope the prices this summer aren't as outrageous as last year.
I think the prices won't stabilize until the cap stops rising. Once that happens, the most spend-happy GMs will finally find themselves handcuffed.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:20 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Belanger doesn't want to come to Montreal, it's in the papers today.

In any case, UFA's are by definition overpaid.

Last edited by sXe: 03-09-2007 at 04:27 PM.
sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Belanger doesn't want to come to Montreal, it's in the papers today.

In any case, UFA's are by definition overpaid.
what... your saying the papers are telling the truth? are we sure they are not making it up for there own agenda? do we have the tape? i'm joking btw, before someone starts getting upset.

UFA's aren't the awnser imo. yup that's what happens when multiple people are bidding on the same thing=overpayment

Old
03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Ok here is a little game I thought up. I think we can all agree, for the most part, that Souray is gone, either because he wants to leave or because he will get more money that the team is willing to pay.

I think to keep Souray in Montreal will require a $6 million contract. That's way too much, but keep in mind everything that Souray brings to the table.

So the point of the game is to replace what Souray brings with *around* $6 million worth of free agent aquisitions. You need to be realistic with what the free agents will accept too, so no cheap contracts for top players.

I know it's hard to judge who will be signed because ultimately, it's the players' choice whether they sign or not, and situations change, but it's just for fun.

Here are my picks:

1. Georges Laraque: $1 million - I was wrong about this guy last year. He's not done, he can still get the job done and would replace Souray's toughness and heart.
2. Sami Salo: $3.2 million - He's basically a clone of Souray before his breakout season (hard shot, injury prone) but better defensively. He's probably better than Souray overall.
3. Kimmo Timonen: $3.8 million - He's an awesome defenceman on both sides of the ice. Good leadership too.

Total: $8 million. It's a bit more than what Souray would get, but it brings ALOT of value to the team.

I may have undervalued what Timonen will get though. It's hard to say with d-men.

I doubt Souray is gone. Gainey is very loyal that way. I see a future 4 year - 20 million dollar contract for Souray in Montreal. I am dead against it but I see it coming

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I doubt Souray is gone. Gainey is very loyal that way. I see a future 4 year - 20 million dollar contract for Souray in Montreal. I am dead against it but I see it coming
5M$ wouldn't be that bad, if I believed Souray could get less than McCabe while the salary cap will rise next year I would say it's a good deal. Not great, just good.

I don't believe you can get Sheldon for that amount, sorry.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
I was just chatting on IRC with some people who think that Zidlicky might be available should Nashville look to re-sign Timonen. If Souray does indeed bolt, Zidlicky would be a decent acquisition who's signed for 3 more seasons at $3.5 million per. He doesn't have the power shot Souray has, but he's very good on the PP, and is a good passer.
Zidlicky for 3 years @ 3.5M$ will be a bargain in this market.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote