HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morris Lukowich Perspective on Comrie $$ Deal

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 08:55 PM
hillbillypriest

vCash: 500
Morris Lukowich Perspective on Comrie $$ Deal

I had Fan 960 on the radio on the way home (in Calgary) today after a fairly long interview with Jason Gregor on the Comrie situation, host Rob Kerr took a number of calls to get people's opinon on Lowe's request for money in the Anahiem Perry + pick deal. After a number of calls that generously used the word extortion, Kerr took a call from former NHLer Morris Lukowich that shed an interesting perspective on things.

Lukowich talked about how he was miserable riding the bench in Winnipeg and was desperate for a trade. There was a proposal to move him to Boston, which at the time would have bumped his salary from $200,000 Canadian to $200,000 US under the rules of the collective agreement of the day. He said that Harry Sinden was interested in the deal but wasn't prepared to pay him in U.S. dollars. To make the deal go, he asked Lukowich to accept a revision to his deal designed to bring his salary back down to what it would be if his Canadian salary were converted to US at the prevailing FX rate.

Lukowich took the deal, and said on the show that he was happy to do so because it ended a miserable situation in Winnipeg for him. Given his experience, he felt that it was conceivable that Comrie might have accept the $$ eating deal that Lowe pitched him to end MC's own current misery.

Nice of Lukowich to phone in. Though his comments added an interesting perspective by showing a somewhat comparable precedent that he didn't feel was an extortion as much as a pragmatic move to end a difficult situation for him.

btw: There's been a lot of media talk that the NHLPA was going to have strong thing's to say against Lowe's actions. Kerr also intimated this on his show. However, I've not heard of any actual statements on this by anyone associated with the PA (other than Rich Winter). Is anyone aware of an actual official statement by the NHLPA on the situation? I'm not aware of anything. I think the silence is speaking deafening volumes...

Old
12-12-2003, 11:39 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Is anyone aware of an actual official statement by the NHLPA on the situation? I'm not aware of anything. I think the silence is speaking deafening volumes...
The official comment was "We are monitoring the situation"

Closed Thread