HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rebuilding Excuse

Old
03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
HABSMANIA21*

vCash: 500
The Rebuilding Excuse

How many times might one hear this excuse? How long can a team rebuild for?
Can a rebuilding team get worse year after year?

Some teams might be looking to be perepetual rebuilders but what are they building? Look at the Chicago Blackhawks one playoff game win in like 9 or ten years. Are the rebuilding or do they just suck?

When could some people wake up?

Hearing or reading people say they did not expect to win this year? Why not?

How about after we beat Buffalo in Buffalo?

To freefall down the standings im sure is something im not sure to be proud of and to say you don't expect to win in ludicrous. What did you expect?

When a team keeps saying their rebuilding whats this supposed to mean. A team may turn things around quickly.

Where is direction?

Last edited by HABSMANIA21*: 03-09-2007 at 02:00 PM.
HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Ross MacLochness

We are going to hear that excuse for however long it takes Bob to get a top 20-30 NHL player for this team.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

When was this team ever rebuilding? 7th-10th place year after year is not rebuilding, it's limbo.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Poochie_D

We either need to trade our "best players" this summer for players of similar skill levels or sell our players off for prospects and draft picks. Lets make a decision once and for all.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
When was this team ever rebuilding? 7th-10th place year after year is not rebuilding, it's limbo.
yeah we never sucked enough to get a franchise player or two (except Price i hope)

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Actually, the excuse we're hearing is that fans couldn't handle a rebuilding so we're in prepetual semi-rebuild.

You think this is tough, wait until we really have to rebuild.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I think that our best talent just isnt NHL ready yet; however there is no excuse for the mediocre play of late.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Actually, the excuse we're hearing is that fans couldn't handle a rebuilding so we're in prepetual semi-rebuild.

You think this is tough, wait until we really have to rebuild.
What's the difference? In the end, losing is losing.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Honestly i think this will be better for the franchise. Ship the poison out and try and get some marquee players.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
What's the difference? In the end, losing is losing.
It's the difference between being middle of the pack and last. Do you think a coach, gm , etc. could keep their job if the team was last in the NHL. It's a vicious circle.

edit: We're still in playoff contention and people wwant Gainey & al. fired. Do you imagine being where Philly is right now, fans would demand we change GM every year.

Last edited by sXe: 03-09-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
yeah we never sucked enough to get a franchise player or two (except Price i hope)
In 2001, we were horrible. We were last at some point IIRC but at the end of the season montreal were on a winning streak so we ended up with #7 pick.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Dave i actually agree with you, what's the world coming to lol. but it's more the 7th-11th position though and we are on track to finish in that range again. the Maple Leaf syndrome is what i like to call this.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Ross MacLochness

I am for anything that gets us out of this perpetual mediocrity. 12 straight years of getting so excited for the season, thinking "Finally this is the year we become a contender" only to have them finsh 7-8-9 is just too much for me to handle anymore. It's torture. My Dad has been a Blackhawk fan since the 50's and since about '94 he knows every year they are probably going to suck. I would honestly rather have that than what we've seen the past 12 years.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
It's the difference between being middle of the pack and last. Do you think a coach, gm , etc. could keep their job if the team was last in the NHL. It's a vicious circle.

edit: We're still in playoff contention and people wwant Gainey & al. fired. Do you imagine being where Philly is right now, fans would demand we change GM every year.
Well if they don't then nothing is accomplished.

I don't want Gainey fired, and while I think Carbo deserves quite a bit of blame for this year, I don't want him fired either (Montreal always fires their coaches right when they start to learn from their mistakes).

Old
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Well we do have some great young players to stop that rebuilding mode. In 2-3 years, we should have a good crop of good young players. Higgins and Latendresse should develop into great fowards and there's a few bright spot on the depht chart.

It will take more than the 5 years of Gainey's plan, but it will work...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Well if they don't then nothing is accomplished.

I don't want Gainey fired, and while I think Carbo deserves quite a bit of blame for this year, I don't want him fired either (Montreal always fires their coaches right when they start to learn from their mistakes).
So true.

Problem is :
1- most fans don't think this way
2- No media person (french/english/chinese) thinks this way. None.
3- Management needs support of everyone to do this; owner (lose ticket sales), sponsors, etc.

Popular opinion is against us my friend.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

I am not worried and honestly i have given up on this season and am excited for the draft. I trust the direction we are headed.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Reuben

Quote:
So true.

Problem is 1- most fans don't think this way
2- No media person (french/english/chinese) thinks this way. None.
3- Management needs support of everyone to do this; owner (lose ticket sales), sponsors, etc.

Popular opinion is against us my friend.
what i can't believe is alot of people wanted us to be buyers at the trade deadline, can you imagine how much further that would have set us back. and for a 2 month rental to boot. me personally i thought we should have been whole sale sellers, but somehow the people like myself who said this weren't real Habs fans according to some. I'd say we were minor sellers at the deadline if anything. i'm still amazed that some people thought this team had a shot at the cup this year, good to see that some fans recognized we were pretenders all along.

I like the direction we are headed as well, i just think the process could have been sped up if we sold more at the deadline. this being said i can understand why they didn't do this considering the position in the standing we were in at the time.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
mcphee

I don't think re-building is a fair excuse. When the team was winning, no one talked of re-building, so it's not valid now. Things went rightfor awhile, the team was playing consistent hockey, though we were uncomfortable with having to dominate on special teams.

Things started to get away from the team, and like any team that has lost over a few months, you can put together a list. Injury to Huet, though the team was laready in trouble. Slumps by key players, young players not stepping up, player combinations. Coaching, not filling holes with a deal, you can make a case for all or none of them.

I don't think the team has used this excuse, we have. They simply couldn't over come adversity. Since the flu bug weekend, every good game that we thought would be a turning point, got our hopes up, but it wasn't sustained.

At this point, they're snake bit, how many games over the last 10 have they dominated the first 10 shifts,got nothing for it, then have a d men pass into his partner's skate, than the resulting bad angled shot goes in off our D's butt ? Then you see them sag. They get down by 3, rally and lose by 1.

There's no excuses, not upstairs,behind the bench or on the ice. It's too bad, but there simply isn't time to re-group this year. They need to go 10-3, and it still might not be enough.

It'll be interesting to see what decisions are made on certain players.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Evil Ted

The injury to Huet has really killed this team, we were a contender for the playoffs and beyond before he went down.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

I am just hoping management will send a message this off season.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Ismellofhockey

The team is clearly not as bad as it looks right now. Slumps happen, some are longer than others and some are worsened by injuries to key players, like your goaltender for example.

The Rivet trade was awesome, if the Habs can re-sign Markov & Souray this summer, trade Samsonov and sign Brière, it'll be a very solid team.
Look at who's in the wings:

Skill:
Kostitsyn
Kostitsyn
Grabovsky

Character:
Chipchura
Maxwell
White
Ferland

Defence:
Fischer
Emelin
Côté

Goal:
Price
Halak

Plus we have two 1sts this year. That's a lot of depth to go with a good young core presently with the team.
So the future is not bleak, and the present isn't this bad either once Huet returns.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Dark4ng3l

The problem is that when we were winning our special teams were what was keeping us in the games. We are nothing without our powerplay and penalty killing. The goaltending had to be top notch too as we were regularly allowing 35+ shots per game. Something is wrong with our 5on5 play where we are one of the worst teams in the league. Our special teams play at least demonstrates that we have the potential and we should be at least middle of the pack 5on5.

I am pretty sure the 5on5 play is partly a coaching/system problem because our special teams work too well for it to just be the players. And I dont mean that the system is necessarly bad, just that it is probably not well adapted to the kind of team we have(mostly a fast skilled team on our offensive lines) and thats why the 3rd line does so well 5on5 and the first 2 lines have been bad.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Reuben

coaching has the biggest impact on special teams imo. if you can't outwork or even match the effort of the opposition 5 on 5 your going to have problems. to me this is what's lacking on the 5 on 5 play. if we were outworking teams 5on 5 on a nightly basis and ending up with the same results i would then start considering the coaching/system etc, however this has yet to happen. our players haven't played hard for a full 60 minutes in what seems to be forever.

Old
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
brownman*

Everyone keep in mind that the Montreal Canadiens organization pledged to be a contender in 2009 (the team's centennial) not 2007; so take that for what it's worth. Clearly the front office didn't expect the team to make the run it did into late December. TSN and all the major networks pegged the Habs to finish 10th in the East, so everything is going to plan really

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote