HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm curious...

Old
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
multiball

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
If you recall, during the Quidditch World Cup Final, Harry observed that Sissy had a look on her face like she had a piece of s*** right under her nose.
I'm happy that I had to Google "Narcissa Malfoy" to even understand that you geex are making a Harry Potter reference - on a hockey message board. Touche.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Uh... ok. Thanks Mom.

I dont remember Fox saying that. he may have but I dont remeber it.
If you came up with this on your own, my apologies. Fox said this during both Chicago and Columbus broadcasts.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
I'm happy that I had to Google "Narcissa Malfoy" to even understand that you geex are making a Harry Potter reference - on a hockey message board. Touche.
You had to google Narcissa Malfoy and we are the geeks, eh? Loser.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:08 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
If you came up with this on your own, my apologies. Fox said this during both Chicago and Columbus broadcasts.
Sorry... I work until 5PM and missed most of both games. Scary that Foxy and I are on the same wave length. I wish I had his hair!!!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:10 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I think you may have had a point, but you lost all credibility with me on this particular agrument when you suggested Modry (and gave reason of his prior tenure with the Kings).
It was more than just because he had been with the Kings before.

Modry was one of the very few Kings who showed up for the draft party the Kings had a few seasons ago. He arrived with his very young son and couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. I also remember him being a solid "team" guy in his previous stint with the team, and at some point wearing the "A".

Given the choice, I'd be hard pressed to select someone who put their team in jeopardy by breaking their wrist fooling around with Avery.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Given the choice, I'd be hard pressed to select someone who put their team in jeopardy by breaking their wrist fooling around with Avery.
I don't know... Maybe the fact that he was fooling was Avery is, to the contrary, an example of why he's deserving of it? We don't know.

As for Modry, I have no reason to doubt that he's a good guy, but he's a stranger to this management, this coaching staff, and much of the player personnel. He's not happy being here (and it's apparent). He won't be here past middle of April.

Thornton, on the other hand, knowing that this would be a crappy team, and that his role would be to serve as a mentor for our young guys, chose to take on that task.

Old
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
It was more than just because he had been with the Kings before.

Modry was one of the very few Kings who showed up for the draft party the Kings had a few seasons ago. He arrived with his very young son and couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. I also remember him being a solid "team" guy in his previous stint with the team, and at some point wearing the "A".

Assuming what you state about Modry is correct, I presume Thornton is wearing the A for the same reason...and Modry is NOT wearing the A because he (1) is a salary dump so we could trade Norstrom (2) will not be here next season (3) is not happy to be here (4) is funny looking (5) sucks (6) cannot hit, fight, pass, shoot or score.

Old
03-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Osprey

Something else to consider: the 3 alternate captains on the team all have Cup rings. Coincidence? I highly doubt it. It's quite obvious what the coaches value the most in their selections, and there shouldn't be any doubt, whatsoever, about why these players made the cut: they know how to win (something which Modry, for one, doesn't). I think, as someone else suggested, that PSP is just taking shots at Thornton because he's unhappy with his play.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:26 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You had to google Narcissa Malfoy and we are the geeks, eh? Loser.
No, you're the adolesents.

Quote:
Can Dancing with the Stars references be far in the future?

Quote:

Thornton, on the other hand, knowing that this would be a crappy team, and that his role would be to serve as a mentor for our young guys, chose to take on that task.
Mentors need to be guys who accomplish their missions. Have not seen this guy give it all on the ice since he got here. Maybe he's just so blah that I missed it.

And people give Army the raspberry....

A's should be going to young leaders, not has beens.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
lakings41

Quote:
You're right. How long they've been a King has nothing to do with it. You're all right. It is sad that we're all out of guys who are leaders both on and off-ice. We have to resort to guys who are pretty much only good in the room. (edit: adding to what PSP said earlier in post 12)

Thornton has brought a little jam to the last 3-4 games, but his overall contribution to the Kings on the ice has been mediocre to awful this year. I will hold comment on Aaron Miller's worthiness of the "A" tonight. This being the night that Mr. Miller failed to position himself to cut off not one, but TWO passes on the game losing 2 on 1 goal vs. the Red Wings. A replay showed him to be in the first few seconds of his shift as well...

It's ironic that this thread showed up on a night when I thought to myself "it's embarrasing to have a man with an A on his uniform end up being beaten so badly that he winds up on his knees and the puck in the net...

Bring on JMFJ and the free agent defensive corps - this group needs the mercy rule called.
Agreed. Funny how we have a fifty page thread on why Dustin Brown is detrimental to the squad at a whopping 22 years of age. All the while Aaron Miller makes ridiculous errors that usually have everything to do with his speed or lack of movement. I've never seen a pylon get so much love. It's like Tim Watters re-visited without falling on the puck.
This club can seriously put people on suicide watch. What an eyesore!

Re-BUILD, Re-TOOL. Call it what you want but we're a joke and our management needs to go off the next two summers.

As for Thornton being an assistant i'm fine with it. He's used sparingly under Crow and could be more useful if given the confidence (ice time).

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
It's not that sad that we don't have any leaders that can do it on and off the ice.

It only makes sense, as we suck. Let's let our players focus on one thing before moving to another, as that's the stage that this team is in. I'd venture to say that part of the reason this team sucks is because we don't have any players that LEAD BY EXAMPLE. You can't just get leaders through free agency, so there's only one way this is going to change. Our players that are here NOW need to emerge. Until then, we can forget about watching this team in May.

Everyone would do well to note that.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
. You can't just get leaders through free agency, so there's only one way this is going to change. Our players that are here NOW need to emerge. Until then, we can forget about watching this team in May.
In the cool light of dawn, this is a great point. I should clarify that I was upset at last night's defence and thought that changes were in order there through free agency. I can't suggest change within the Assistant Captaincy because I don't see better options. We're doing the best we can there - and that's the part that's so frustrating.

Until one of Lubo, Frolov, or Kopitar emerge as leaders worthy of the A, we'll have to make due with locker-room-type leaders like Thornton and Miller - whose level of play is << how good we're told they are in the room. I will trust whoever makes those decisions as they are closer and more involved than any of us could ever hope to be. I just wish they had better options to choose from.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I wish they could just strip everyone of an A until someone steps up. The only person coming close to leading by example is Cammalleri.

Nobody is really deserving of having a distinction on their jersey at this time. Just numbers, name and crest. That's it. Nobody is special enough for that added extra.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Moberman

Living in No. Cal and being friends with two avid Sharks fans/Kings Haters, they were really dissappointed to see Thorton go. They believe Thorton was a great team leader and that he posses many intangibles that the box score doesn't show. He's respected around the league and seriously, no body give's a dargn about Modry. It's really quite simple.

Now about Miller, he just jumped onto the ice just as the takeaway occured. He was thrown in the middle of an attack facing two Wings boring down on him with a head full of steam. As soon as the turnover happened the Detroit announcers were exicted as hell. Everyone knew it was trouble. Besides, why rip on Miller when he wasn't even on the ice for Clarke's turnover?

Moberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
No, you're the adolesents.

FWIW, this is not the first time mutiball and I have had a light-hearted discussion about a topic. On this topic, you were not invited to join and your opinion means nothing.

On the topic of adolescents, if you would like to compare doctorates, accomplishments or bank accounts, let me know.

Further, learn to spell before you call someone out.

Last edited by Zad: 03-10-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

They gave him the A to try to justify his overpayment

CowMix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
guzmania

Quote:

On the topic of adolescents, if you would like to compare doctorates, accomplishments or bank accounts, let me know.
Hockey board/children's book. Sorry I missed the scintillating repartee on Harry (JRR at the very least, IMHO.)

You might have a little more, but did you earn it yourself? So, you got a couple a hundred grand in the bank? Anyone put you through college? Eight years worth of degrees and a resume that covers 30 years. I am a supervisor of technical maintenance and a union steward at maybe the most prestigious television production facility in the world. Dr. Phil I am not. I am a hourly worker of the world. Figures? I do more than six per.

Accomplishments? I've never been arrested, divorced, or dressed up my friends for a picture. You ever in a band? Have you painted a picture? Gotten multiple emmy recognition? Ever misspelled a word?

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:19 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
I guarantee, I have more zeros in my paycheck than yours... unfortunately, they're after the decimal point!!!

Old
03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I wish they could just strip everyone of an A until someone steps up. The only person coming close to leading by example is Cammalleri.
"Stop parroting Jim Fox's propaganda and form your own opinions."

Uh, sorry that was someone else's insult. Nevermind!

Old
03-11-2007, 12:02 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Hockey board/children's book. Sorry I missed the scintillating repartee on Harry (JRR at the very least, IMHO.)

You might have a little more, but did you earn it yourself? So, you got a couple a hundred grand in the bank? Anyone put you through college? Eight years worth of degrees and a resume that covers 30 years. I am a supervisor of technical maintenance and a union steward at maybe the most prestigious television production facility in the world. Dr. Phil I am not. I am a hourly worker of the world. Figures? I do more than six per.

Accomplishments? I've never been arrested, divorced, or dressed up my friends for a picture. You ever in a band? Have you painted a picture? Gotten multiple emmy recognition?
No, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night...

Quote:
Ever misspelled a word?
NEVAR!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Goallum

Quote:
So are you saying that since we're on a hockey board, we can never make reference to other subjects? My initial reference was pretty vague, I didn't expect many to get it, but I knew that those that did would enjoy it.

As for those that didn't get it, I guess you could go three routes: ignore it (I'm guessing that goes for the majority), be good-natured about it (multiball), or be a ***** about it (you).

Old
03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
CBGB

Quote:
PSP, I have learned to accept the fact that you will never say anything positive about the Kings, and will often go out of your way to shed light on a particular obscure crown-bearing turd, but you're REALLY reaching here.
Hmmmm...

40 years of ineptitude....

Trading away a 2nd round draft pick (#31-35)for Cloutier
Signing Cloutier to a 2 year extension
Willsie
Thornton
McCauley
and
(cough) Blake

The 30th ranked PK
Worst goaltender in the league

Why the hell SHOULDN'T he be negative????????

Kopitar?

Jack MF Johnson?

"The Future"

Please.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
Where the hell did I say that he shouldn't?
Quote:
Kopitar?

Jack MF Johnson?

"The Future"

Please.
Unfortunately when I became a fan of LA Kings, I didn't have the power of foresight to know that years later they would fail to draft the gift to hockey-watching humanity that is Corey Perry. So I'll take solace in whatever I can. Even crap like Kopitar and JMFJ, if I have to.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
So are you saying that since we're on a hockey board, we can never make reference to other subjects? My initial reference was pretty vague, I didn't expect many to get it, but I knew that those that did would enjoy it.

As for those that didn't get it, I guess you could go three routes: ignore it (I'm guessing that goes for the majority), be good-natured about it (multiball), or be a ***** about it (you).
What he said...watch out for this one. He's a smart one. Sometimes two.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hmmmm...

40 years of ineptitude....

Trading away a 2nd round draft pick (#31-35)for Cloutier
Signing Cloutier to a 2 year extension
Willsie
Thornton
McCauley
and
(cough) Blake

The 30th ranked PK
Worst goaltender in the league

Kopitar?

Jack MF Johnson?

"The Future"

Please.
Do you ever stop whining? You are the Mississippi River of whining. Less whining, more buying me the single malt whiskey you promised months ago. If the juice was running, you'd owe me more than a few.

Kopitar.
Jack Johnson.

The future.

Repeat it. It's real. Accept it.