HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most disappointing season in recent memory?

Old
03-10-2007, 04:05 AM
philosophical___

vCash: 500
Most disappointing season in recent memory?

this has to be the most disappointing season in my recent memory. not because we're a horrible team, but frankly we're not. this team is just ridiculously mediocre and frustrating.

the reason why it's disappointing is because they showed they can be a top 6 team in the east, but then showed their true colours. the habs team teased us all by overachieving. and it pisses me off.

what makes it worse is that as a habs fan i've been sitting on this perception that over the last 3 or 4 years, we've been building a system to destroy division rivals, especially the leafs. but it's obvious that now whatever we've done is not good enough, our scouting and drafting has been no better than theirs.

philosophical___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Hab-a-maniac

2002-03 was pretty lousy if I recall. That year though, we realized 2002 was a bit of a fluke and the Habs shortness on skill and size was pretty bad. Plus Theo turned into a sieve. But this year's team has much less of a good excuse so this could be the most disappointing Hab season since 1994-95 (96-97 was crap but we snuck into the playoffs) and most unsatisfactory result since 1969-70 (when the Habs finished 14 games over .500- better than any finish since 93- and gasp, missed the post-season). The future looks good, but does that mean it will be good? If anything, the Habs since 2000 have always had the potential but it gets squandered.

This 5 year rebuilding plan just marginally improved the team and now this setback. If things aren't where they should be (contender) by 2009, the mob will be out in full force to burn management at the stake. If anything, we've shown a unique ability to take good prospects, mold them into drones for a cruddy defensive system and shoot any confidence they had by placing them in a supporting role with a bunch of overpaid, sour veterans. Happens all the time. We always miss out on the character leader vets and settle with whiners and/or creampuff vets (Kovalev, Perreault, Juneau, Audette, Dackell, Breezy, Sundstrom, Samsonov, Dandy, Ninny-ma).

Guys in this position need to take charge and not be so passive. Our 2007 squad beats out the 2004 and 2002 teams in skill but those two teams had an abundance of heart by comparison. Lots more guys willing to sacrifice for the betterment (Quintal, Gilmour, Lindsay, Asham, Kilger, Sheldon and Rivet were there for both, later on there was Ward, Dowd, Langdon). I'm not saying that I want names like that again, but they still gave that extra something I don't see today from guys like Ryder (he, like Saku, could feed off the example before but now?), Bonk, Dandenault, Sammy, Kovalev, etc. There's less of a drive in this team than I've seen in the past 4 years at any point. It's truly disheartening but not surprising when you analyze it closely.

It's a bad mix and Gainey hopefully knows that. This is a far cry from the veteran stability he was able to create in Dallas through adding guys like Carbo, Skrudland, Nieuwendyk and Lduwig-wow, talk about familiar names. Gainey knew what to expect from those former teammates. Too bad the only NHL'er left who was a teammate of his is Chelios. The true leader types have been few and far between and we always seem to lose those guys anyway (Souray, Gilmour in his self-centred kind of way, Dowd was a good guy in his stint while Quintal and Rivet despite their shortcomings were solid leaders).

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophical___ View Post
this has to be the most disappointing season in my recent memory. not because we're a horrible team, but frankly we're not. this team is just ridiculously mediocre and frustrating.

the reason why it's disappointing is because they showed they can be a top 6 team in the east, but then showed their true colours. the habs team teased us all by overachieving. and it pisses me off.

what makes it worse is that as a habs fan i've been sitting on this perception that over the last 3 or 4 years, we've been building a system to destroy division rivals, especially the leafs. but it's obvious that now whatever we've done is not good enough, our scouting and drafting has been no better than theirs.
Well to add, I think our amateur scouting and drafting has been very stronger, superior to the Leafs even. But what they do better than us, as do 90% of the league's team, is take a good prospect and make him fit into a team. Leafs trades over the years have paid off more than ours (Sundin, Tucker, McCabe were all steals). If you gave Kostitsyn or Perezhogin or Higgins a spot with the Leafs, they'd tear it up moreso because of the superior veteran presence and scoring talent. Their D would kinda suck still.

But if you put Steen, Stajan or Wellwood on our team, they'd all acheive Plekanec numbers at best. Because for some reason our team puts together lousy veteran support and crappy handling of the youth. Why do you think Chicago has drafted studs all these years and seen it all dissipate? They're still rotten so it wouldn't surprise me if they screw up with guys like Toewes, Ruutu, Seabrook, Barker and the like.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:59 AM
GNick42

Many were expecting more of the Habs this season and are disappointed. Myself included. This year is definitely a step back but hopefully we can learn from it and make a bad thing a good thing for the future.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:31 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Many were expecting more of the Habs this season and are disappointed. Myself included. This year is definitely a step back but hopefully we can learn from it and make a bad thing a good thing for the future.
What's disappointing is the fact that they played above their head in the first half (before X-Mas) and played as one of the worst NHL team since then. If they would had been just average, we would accept better the fact that they are an average team who would fight for the 8th spot. What's disappointing is also the fact that their top players, the best paid like Kovalev and Samsonov in particular + the less than steallar performance by Higgins (when he came back from injury) and Ryder, just let a very bad taste in mouth.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:50 AM
RC51

NOPE, I am only just slightly disappointed.

Just a few years ago the Habs had a team with even less talent and had almost NO prospects doing well, had no new rookies.
The Habs were way way down to the bottom of the barrel.

This years team has more talent, has identified many that need to move on. Has a much bigger UFA pool to pick from in the off season and above all has already 3-4 rookies doing well and a hugely improved prospect pool. 2 first rounders this year along with the usual rest of picks.

Recent memory? NO WAY, it's was a lot worse just a few years ago.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Turbo

Yes if you consider that at xmas, all dreams were permitted and then we witnessed on of the worst collapses ever.

That said, 2002-2003 was a much more depressing season. Had just beaten Boston the year before, Theodore had emerged as what most pundits were calling a legitimate star and we all thought they would carry that into the next season. Needless to say the Czerkawski, McKay, Juneau, Dackell, Audette couldn't carry the team far, Theodore was miserable, Therrien was fired, and most importantly there didn't seem to be any youngsters coming up in the system other than Ribeiro - unless you want to count Ward or Hossa. Was the last year for Andre Savard as GM too. That was quite pitiful.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:19 AM
GNick42

Our slide started just after Laura Gainey's death. Not that I am blaming that but I get the impression Gainey's mind is not 100% on the team like it was before. Kind of reminds me of Serge Savard when he made all his millions in investments running the Habs went to the back burner

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:33 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Our slide started just after Laura Gainey's death. Not that I am blaming that but I get the impression Gainey's mind is not 100% on the team like it was before. Kind of reminds me of Serge Savard when he made all his millions in investments running the Habs went to the back burner
Like Gainey has anything to do with the performance of the team from one half of the season to the next. That's all on Carbo and the players' shoulders.

This has got to be one of the worst collapses though.

22-9-5 on Dec 27, 11-21-1 since.

Carbonneau was right back in January; this is way more than a slump.

03-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The 1995 lockout shortened season was my most disappointing in recent memory. We had a very good team just two years removed from a cup and just sucked that year. Before that, it would have been the 1980 season when the cup string ended.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Ross MacLochness

This season has been a huge kick in the balls, but also a big wake-up call, for me at least.

We've been the exact same team for 12 years. A few minor tweaks here or there, always bringing in the same type of players. Always playing a system that requires the goalie to play like a superstar. On the bubble constantly, squeeze in some years, sometimes not. Always playing not to lose.

I thought when Gainey came in, with our prospect base, we would start to climb the standings and stay at the top as a contender for a long time. Well I guess it's time for Plan b, Bob.

Is a top player in this league really to much to ask? How bout a team that can actually move the puck up the ice? Or *gasp* a team that has talent and plays to win!?!

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:50 AM
brownman*

I remember 2000 being a real **** parade simply because it was another year full of colossal injuries and yet the Habs found themselves within reach of a playoff spot on the final game of the season at home against Ottawa. With the Sens up 2-1 with 10 minutes left, Alffie sniped one from the slot, far side extinguishing any playoff hope for us; this season has been absolutely disappointing also but much like 2001, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of improvement and had expectations up way too high in early January. Oh well, still have my Red Sox coming up

Last edited by brownman*: 03-11-2007 at 02:29 PM.
brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Shabutie

This is the most disappointing season in the 2000s without a doubt.

Why?

Cuz we have a better team (on paper) then we've had in 10+ years. Yet these heartless pukes can't make the playoffs.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:28 PM
j52

This team's free fall has been disappointing.
Bob Gainey was no doubt shattered by his daughter's death, and no one gets on with life that quickly after such a loss. His mind can't be focussed on hockey.
Guy, in his many interviews , seems to be frustrated, and unable to come to grips with how to motivate his team. He seems to have lost control of the team, although whether he actually has is another story.
The Habs, dump and chase system is useless, an probably contributes to their failure on 5-5 hockey. They need to carry the puck and skate. A small team doesn't bump a larger team off of the puck to regain it.
Finally, Huet played very well last year, and stole some games for the team. He is not a great goalie though. He does not have a good glove hand, a la Roy, Brodeur, etc. He gets his body in front of the shot when he is playing well. That leads to rebounds. The opposition were aware of that this year.
The management has tweeked the lineup hoping to make it into the playoffs for most of the past 15 years. Jack Todd of the Gazette has a great article on this today.
It is time for a major overhaul. No excuses about favourite players, (The Habs let
Plante, Harvey,Geoffrion, Lafleur, and other greats finish their careers elsewhere.),
money, taxes in Quebec, no-trade contracts, the media, etc. Gut the so called core of this team, and build around SOME of the younger players, and some new additions.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quite honestly if you look at the team on paper, it's not that impressive. Samsonov aside, the team lacks both offensive punch and defensive skill (when you realise that Bouillon and Dandenault aren't what they used to be).

The team played fantastic disciplined hockey the first half of the season, and it's disappointing to see the freefall that is happening now, but going into the season noone expected Montreal to be anything more than a 6-8th place team. That's a goal that is still achievable, mind you.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 02:26 PM
KadoCH

Most dissapointing for me recently would be the 99-00 version of the Habs. The first time I ever got to see them play in real life was the last game of the season that year. Well if anyone remembers it was against the Sens and if they would of won the game they would of made the playoffs. They never pulled it out though and lost 3-1 needless to say devasting loss and by far more dissapointing than this years team for me anyway.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Most dissapointing for me recently would be the 99-00 version of the Habs. The first time I ever got to see them play in real life was the last game of the season that year. Well if anyone remembers it was against the Sens and if they would of won the game they would of made the playoffs. They never pulled it out though and lost 3-1 needless to say devasting loss and by far more dissapointing than this years team for me anyway.
Yeah that's mine too, which I posted the other day (but for some reason I wrote 2001). It was devastating considering everything the team had gone through that year and to end up with something like 85 pts was remarkable till Alffie's snapper ended the dream

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
At least we can look back at that team and be proud that it pulled so close to the playoffs with a terrible roster and incredible amount of injuries.

In 5 years I'll think about this team and shake my head in disgust. Oh wait I even do that now.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
This is the most disappointing season in the 2000s without a doubt.

Why?

Cuz we have a better team (on paper) then we've had in 10+ years. Yet these heartless pukes can't make the playoffs.
^ What he said, though I'd go so far as to say this is the most disappointing Habs season in the 20 years I've been watching. It's certainly been the biggest collapse I've ever seen.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
LeHab

If there are no miracles from a goalie, we can almost forget about playoffs. It has been like that for the last decade.

I say the team is on par with what we had in past years except we don't have a hot goalie to ride this time.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Quite honestly if you look at the team on paper, it's not that impressive. Samsonov aside, the team lacks both offensive punch and defensive skill (when you realise that Bouillon and Dandenault aren't what they used to be).

The team played fantastic disciplined hockey the first half of the season, and it's disappointing to see the freefall that is happening now, but going into the season noone expected Montreal to be anything more than a 6-8th place team. That's a goal that is still achievable, mind you.
Maybe 8th, but 6th looks unlikely because the Habs would have to pass 3 teams to get there.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

We've had weak teams before but a lot of them had more heart than what we have now. For instance I remember how much an inspiration Gilmour was wich is the complete opposite of the negative distraction we got from Sammy and Kovy this year(then again I think fans and media asked too much of Kovy and Saku, frankly. These guys are not what they used to be. They're not 25 years old anymore. The GM should have taken that under consideration and got more guys to rid the pressure these two guys are under).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
The 1995 lockout shortened season was my most disappointing in recent memory. We had a very good team just two years removed from a cup and just sucked that year. Before that, it would have been the 1980 season when the cup string ended.
what a strange year that was

the habs were an automatic win on home ice and an automatic loss on the road. I've never seen anything like it

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Habitants

2005 was the most dissapointing season, no hockey at all!

i prefer habs sucking to that...

but yes, for the habs to be top 6 for half the season then fall to bottom 6 is VERY dissapointing

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Yup this year as been very disapointing because of our great start

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote