HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry on HNIC

Old
03-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I thought he was leaving the joke franchise.

Seriously, the Oilers are a laughing stock.
******* bandwagon fans. Seriously, if you can't handle a rough year then just sit out and join another team.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:31 AM
MuzikMachine

vCash: 500
Doesn't something similar exist already?

I thought there was a rule that a player can't be traded from one team to another team, then traded back to the first team in the same season.

I recall in the 2002-03 season that Dean McAmmond was traded from Calgary to Colorado as part of the Chris Drury trade at the beginning of the seaon. Calgary then reaquired McAmmond at the trade deadline but he was not allowed to play as could as a team could not reaquire a player they traded.

Does this rule still exist under the new CBA? If the player was traded to a 3rd team and reacquired, would that be ok (ie Col trades McAmmond to __, who later on trades him to Cgy)?

As for the current UFA's resigning after being traded at the deadline, if it becomes a common trend over a couple seasons that traded UFA's are resigning with their old teams, then I agree that the league should look into doing something.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I thought there was a rule that a player can't be traded from one team to another team, then traded back to the first team in the same season.

I recall in the 2002-03 season that Dean McAmmond was traded from Calgary to Colorado as part of the Chris Drury trade at the beginning of the seaon. Calgary then reaquired McAmmond at the trade deadline but he was not allowed to play as could as a team could not reaquire a player they traded.
That was a little different.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0313/1522976.html

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 03-12-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:15 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Why does ANYONE who mentions something about the Oilers in a negative light automatically an idiot? This board is unbelieveable.
Probably because it was Don Cherry that said it.

Quote:
Normally, I'm inclined to let the free market act how it will, but the NHL is already highly regulated and this is a regulation that has some merit. It turns NHL players, basically, into prostitutes and cheats teams out of players/prospects though agreements that are made between players and their teams in private.
Yes, turns them into prostitutes, and the big pimp-daddys that are the owners are out peddling their warez. The only way it "cheats" teams out of players/prospects is if the owner and general manager are too stupid to recognize that there's a possibility that an unrestricted free agent can sign anywhere if they don't come to terms with a contract prior to July 1st. If Snow and Wang didn't think Smyth was worth a 1st, Nilsson, and O'Marra for their playoff drive and only a chance to resign him, they wouldn't have done it. You basically insult owners and general managers as not being smart enough to recognize the possibility that maybe, just maybe, that player might even sign back with the original team. Especially given it happened to players in the past.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote