HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Lidstrom's last month or so..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2007, 02:00 PM
  #1
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Lidstrom's last month or so..

Mainly judging by stats and highlight clips from nhl.com..

Is he slowing down? Last 8 years I havenīt seen anyone being able to get past him on a one on one, but it seems like itīs happend alot lately..

Not alot of points either..

Is it just me?

Pls no flame, just curious...

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
  #2
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Mainly judging by stats and highlight clips from nhl.com..

Is he slowing down? Last 8 years I havenīt seen anyone being able to get past him on a one on one, but it seems like itīs happend alot lately..

Not alot of points either..

Is it just me?

Pls no flame, just curious...
Well, in his last 17 games (dating back to February 1st) he has 1 goal and 16 assists and is a +6. So I dont see how you can say his points are down. ??? That is a point per game pace.

He has lost a step over the past few years, but he was never fast to begin with. He does get beat on the outside more than he used to, but normally he still has pretty good position on anybody going around the outside.

Everybody slows down eventually, Nick is no different. However, he is still a a pretty high level.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
  #3
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Yup...Nick is an aging Hall of Fame D-man, meaning he's less awesome than he used to be but better than just about anyone else. He'll still win the Norris, and deservedly so, but his armor of defense that was at one time infallible has a few dings in it now.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
  #4
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Mainly judging by stats and highlight clips from nhl.com..

Is he slowing down? Last 8 years I havenīt seen anyone being able to get past him on a one on one, but it seems like itīs happend alot lately..

Not alot of points either..

Is it just me?

Pls no flame, just curious...
Well, he still leads all players in +/- and defensemen in points. He should win his 5th Norris trophy this year, putting him in select company.

He has not been as dominant lately. The main reason is probably because his partner on defense - Danny Markov - has been injured. He was actually scratched last night because the Wings finally said "enough is enough".

Let's see how he looks when Markov returns at full strength.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
  #5
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs
Registered User
 
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Surrey. B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Mainly judging by stats and highlight clips from nhl.com..

Is he slowing down? Last 8 years I havenīt seen anyone being able to get past him on a one on one, but it seems like itīs happend alot lately..

Not alot of points either..

Is it just me?

Pls no flame, just curious...
Yes he has lost a step... but the scary thing is hes still miles ahead of the competition... and im a canucks fan lol

WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:59 PM
  #6
19 for president
Registered User
 
19 for president's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 562
Lids has been logging some tough minutes of late and is still avging a ppg. His partner has been playing hurt, and has been pretty bad because of this. Thus he has been forced to hang back more. Cheli was hurt for a bit so he had to log more pk time, schneids was out so he had to log more pp time, he hasn't looked as great as he normally does in the second half. But the guy is getting old, he is slowing down, however he is still amazing. Hopefully when all the dman get healthy in the next few weeks he'll get a few games off. He looked tired last playoffs and if he does again this year it'll be very bad news for the Wings.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:33 PM
  #7
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,735
vCash: 500
Did you guys see that play he made last night? They showed the replay during the game on FSN Detroit. He stole with puck with a quick and smooth swipe 1-handed? That was amazing.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
  #8
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
I am not worried about Lidstrom losing a step. What makes him such an elite player is not in his legs, but on his shoulders. Even if gradually loses his skating ability, he will continue to be a great player. Of course eventually his role will be dimineshed and he will take on Larry Murphy's role, and be very good at least as a PP specialist. I am guessing that by the time Lids is skating like Larry Murphy he will be roughly 96.5 years of age, in the middle of a 68 year long contract with the Islanders.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:42 AM
  #9
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Did you guys see that play he made last night? They showed the replay during the game on FSN Detroit. He stole with puck with a quick and smooth swipe 1-handed? That was amazing.
Do you mean the Kings game?? I was wathcing it, but I did not have the Wings' announcers (Mickey and Daniels). I saw the hightlights and then I heard they were doing the game as well. I had the Kings' announcers. They were OK. But I think I would rather listen to Mickey.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lidstrom, I think he is the best player in the league, not just the best Dman. That man plays the game to the unbelievable dimesions/levels.
He is goint to win the Norris for sure.
He might be a little bit tired, but Babcock has 7 "healthy" Dmen so he could rest him a bit. Babcock's problem is that he has to use Lidstrom, because there are too many injured forwards.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:02 AM
  #10
Crazyhorse
Registered User
 
Crazyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Well, i haven't watched many Wings game this season, but if you take the recent Kings-game into consideration, i would say that he is still playing on a very very high level. He is the best player in the world at positioning, and his ability to read the game is second to none.
The only one who can steal the Norris from him is mr.Niedermayer, but i don't see that happening.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:48 AM
  #11
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
There is another thing which I have never heard/read about Lidstrom, but is very important to point out.
Lidstrom makes mistakes, but he knows when he can make a mistake so he positions himself to that he can fix his mistake if it happens.
This is also the quality which Chelios has, that is way he keeps himself for so long in the league. But Chelios is my favourite player, so he can't do no wrong in my eyes.

I do not know if I explained this very well, but I tried.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:54 AM
  #12
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
-3 last game, happens pretty often even though heīs top of the league in +/-

Go figure..

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
  #13
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
-3 last game, happens pretty often even though heīs top of the league in +/-

Go figure..
The answer is simple. Hasek had a terrible game, that is where the +/- stat is deceiving.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
  #14
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
-3 last game, happens pretty often even though heīs top of the league in +/-

Go figure..
Well, you started out ok, but now you are just trolling.

He leads the league in +/- and you are arguing that he is -3 a lot??? Three games all year he has been -3. Out of 69 games.

Good logic.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:04 PM
  #15
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Well, you started out ok, but now you are just trolling.

He leads the league in +/- and you are arguing that he is -3 a lot??? Three games all year he has been -3. Out of 69 games.

Good logic.
I think we now know who made that YouTube commercial for Rory Fitzpatrick. "What else is Nik Lidstrom hiding?!..."

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
  #16
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Thank God our #1 defensive forward Robert Lang came out a +2

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
  #17
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Well, you started out ok, but now you are just trolling.

He leads the league in +/- and you are arguing that he is -3 a lot??? Three games all year he has been -3. Out of 69 games.

Good logic.
-3 is a terrible stat, and even more so for someone whoīs considered the best defender in the league.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
  #18
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik View Post
I think we now know who made that YouTube commercial for Rory Fitzpatrick. "What else is Nik Lidstrom hiding?!..."
I would love to have been the one to produce that video. That was one of the funnier things I have seen all year.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
  #19
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Thank God our #1 defensive forward Robert Lang came out a +2

Hudler as well. Both guys should get SERIOUS Selke consideration for their recent defensive prowess.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
  #20
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
-3 is a terrible stat, and even more so for someone whoīs considered the best defender in the league.
It happens. Even to the best. 3 times in 70 games. Time for Nick to hang up the blades and retire the ax.

If it happened 15, 20, 25 times a year, then you would actually have a valid point. But since it doesn't...you don't.

Now, run off little troll.


Last edited by Higgy4: 03-12-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  #21
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
-3 is a terrible stat, and even more so for someone whoīs considered the best defender in the league.
How many 2on1s do you expect him to stop? The Wings were friggin horrible period yesterday. One can only they don't have many more 12:30 games left this season since they play like **** every time.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
  #22
Madness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Mainly judging by stats and highlight clips from nhl.com..

Is he slowing down? Last 8 years I havenīt seen anyone being able to get past him on a one on one, but it seems like itīs happend alot lately..

Not alot of points either..

Is it just me?

Pls no flame, just curious...
So, judging by stats you concluded that he doesn't get alot of points.
59 points in 69 games isn't good enough?
19 points in the last 19 games isn't good enough?

Based on these stats i conclude that you either didn't look at his stats or that you expect him to have around 80-90 points in 69 games.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
  #23
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
So, judging by stats you concluded that he doesn't get alot of points.
59 points in 69 games isn't good enough?
19 points in the last 19 games isn't good enough?

Based on these stats i conclude that you either didn't look at his stats or that you expect him to have around 80-90 points in 69 games.
Looking at the massive ammount of pp-time he gets and knowing what heīs capable of, yes.. Iīm kinda dissapointed with his points.

Hiigy4 will not get any responses from me, I tend to have a hard time taking people seriously, who canīt argue their case without calling people "trolls".

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
  #24
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Well, its hard for MOST people to take someone seriously when they obviously dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Lidstrom is on pace for 70 points...again. Like the other poster said, how many were you expecting?

Look, if you want to come in with some valid points and try to have an intelligent conversation I am all for it. But here is what you have concluded thus far and brought to the table in this thread.

1) He isn't getting enough points. (70 point pace)
2) He is -3 a lot. (has happened 3 times in 69 games)

So, as you can see...both are completely false statements. As far as my troll comment, I stand by it. Trolls go onto other peoples boards to stir up arguments. And judging by the fact that everything you say is completely untrue, my only assumption is that you are trolling. Again, you want to be welcome on someone else's board, you better have some sort of grasp of exactly what you came to talk about.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:39 PM
  #25
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Well, its hard for MOST people to take someone seriously when they obviously dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Lidstrom is on pace for 70 points...again. Like the other poster said, how many were you expecting?

Look, if you want to come in with some valid points and try to have an intelligent conversation I am all for it. But here is what you have concluded thus far and brought to the table in this thread.

1) He isn't getting enough points. (70 point pace)
2) He is -3 a lot. (has happened 3 times in 69 games)

So, as you can see...both are completely false statements. As far as my troll comment, I stand by it. Trolls go onto other peoples boards to stir up arguments. And judging by the fact that everything you say is completely untrue, my only assumption is that you are trolling. Again, you want to be welcome on someone else's board, you better have some sort of grasp of exactly what you came to talk about.
He HAS looked slower and has made more mistakes than ever before.

Many of his points have been "secondary assists".

And...I think he plays too much. 30m/game...and many night even more than that, is alot for a guy his age. I know injuries have been part of him declining since heīs played with unfit or bad players, but I hold him in sutch high regard itīs kinda sad to see.

Was really only looking and hoping for an explanation and someone telling me "hey man, heīs soon back to normal again"

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.