HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Impressed with Datsyuk

Old
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
D000

vCash: 500
Impressed with Datsyuk

Since Hank got injured, Pav has 9 points (5 games). I'm really impressed with the way he's been playing without Zetterberg, better than I thought he would of. What are your thoughts?

D000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
afgsyko

he's been playing very good! how much does he get paid anyways? i think its worth it now

afgsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
GuloGulo

So far Datsyuk has beyond doubt fulfilled all the requirements of a true #1 center.

He scores, he creates play, he can carry the play in the offensive zone, he is responsible defensively, he makes his linesmates better (and even more importantly retains his play regardless of who they are). Of course, one cannot expect this to go on for ever, weaker linesmates will eventually hinder production.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:03 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
So far Datsyuk has beyond doubt fulfilled all the requirements of a true #1 center.

He scores, he creates play, he can carry the play in the offensive zone, he is responsible defensively, he makes his linesmates better (and even more importantly retains his play regardless of who they are). Of course, one cannot expect this to go on for ever, weaker linesmates will eventually hinder production.
In the regular season...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:45 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about this playoff season.

It's about damned time you said something nice about the guy!

kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
It's about damned time you said something nice about the guy!

When you've got someone of his skill set, you should expect the world from him. He's doing great things in the regular season but this is a franchise that isn't just happy with regular season success. He needs to do what other greats of the past have done for this team...deliver when it counts the most. He'll always be considered a skilled player or an entertaining player but I don't think he'll reach the great status until he does something memorable in the postseason. I know he's your boy and all but you've got hold him to a higher standard when this team itself has been held to a higher standard. Making the playoffs is something we all yawn at...win another championship. Dats would be a god if he helped lead this new generation of Wings to an 11th Cup.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Habitants

he is playing great, and i particularly enjoyed it when holmstrom was on the line.

who do you guys suppose will be on his line tommorow? any chance its samuelsson?
what is the status of cleary?

im looking for a player to pick up in my pool for tommorows game. thx

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
he is playing great, and i particularly enjoyed it when holmstrom was on the line.

who do you guys suppose will be on his line tommorow? any chance its samuelsson?
what is the status of cleary?

im looking for a player to pick up in my pool for tommorows game. thx
He's been centering Filppula and Sammy while Homer and Z are out, so you may see Sammy on his line tomorrow.

Old
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM
silkyjohnson50

Babcock said it's going to be Homer and Sammy on the #1 line with him.

I personally would rather have Homer and Filppula on the line.

You would think that Sammy would be a guy that could succeed playing with Pavel being that he's a guy with a big shot and ain't affriad to use it, but i personally can't stand it when they're put together. Sammy holds on to the puck too long to take advantage of a player like Pavel. I hope he proves me wrong for now though.

I just really hope that Babcock is smart enough to put Homer with Hank and Pav come playoff time, and not Sammy like it was before he got injured in December.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by D000 View Post
Since Hank got injured, Pav has 9 points (5 games). I'm really impressed with the way he's been playing without Zetterberg, better than I thought he would of. What are your thoughts?
I guess people have forgotten that Datsyuk was doing ok without Z, and Babcock kept putting players with Datsyuk to jump start them. That includes Z who was in quite a slump. I think Samuelsson will be with Datsyuk just long enough for Sammy to catch fire. Then Babcock will let Sammy burn on some other line

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:39 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Always thought of him as a #1 center. Although just like Federov was he has a high price-tag to keep.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:51 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
Always thought of him as a #1 center. Although just like Federov was he has a high price-tag to keep.
Fedorov earned his high price-tag...

Old
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Birko19

I'm really glad that Datsyuk is playing hot right now, but please save this streak for the playoffs because I have a feeling that if this guy does't show up this year Kenny won't sign him.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:30 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Fedorov earned his high price-tag...
So has Dats IMO

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:34 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
So has Dats IMO
Fedorov is one of the most complete players ever, Datsyuk is not.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:56 AM
14ari13

He is +28, 6th in the league, 4th among forwards. He and Z both Started slow this season, but they got hot in December.
I think both he and Z will de very well in the playoffs.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:58 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
In the regular season...
He was also great at the Olympics, Russians best player.
It is not easy to be good in the playoffs, one has to learn some different tricks, but he'll be ready this time.

Old
03-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Fedorov is one of the most complete players ever, Datsyuk is not.

BINGO!

Few players compare to all of what Sergei did in his best years in Detroit. Fedorov played well in the postseason and won a Hart and Selke trophy in the regular season. How many skilled forwards could play regular minutes as a defenseman and not be a liability? Say what you want about him and his contract issues...he was one of the best players and most complete players in the league when he was still a Red Wing. Fedorov was a Swiss army knife as a player and pretty much everything he did was a good as anyone did it in the league.

Datsyuk is eye candy with skill and is a highlight reel regular but he'll never be confused with the great two-way forwards in the league...like his Swedish linemate for instance. He's our guy but when we've had the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov and Shanahan don this uniform in the last 15-20 years...expectations and standards are higher than for most franchises. If the Wings had never won a title with Yzerman and that group, we'd be looking at Datsyuk and Zetterberg as the saviors of the franchise and probably wouldn't be as critical towards them. Right now, they're trying to carry the torch of the last generation of Red Wings and hold up their high level of play.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:27 AM
14ari13

What do you guys mean by "the most complete player"?
I have to ask this because I do not think Fedorov was good enough offensively. He had a great shot and had great speed, but I do not think he was a great playmaker.

Old
03-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
What do you guys mean by "the most complete player"?
I have to ask this because I do not think Fedorov was good enough offensively. He had a great shot and had great speed, but I do not think he was a great playmaker.
His defensive responsibilities were far greater than his offensive, he owned superstars in every game, more often than not leaving them totally embarrassed.
As if this wasnt enough Bowman used him as a defender pretty often, giving him even less chanses of producing.

Never the less, he topped out at 120 points during the dead hockey era. Imagine having the best defensive forward in the league, who was also capable of filling in as a defender, and also roughly reaching a ppg/average every season - he was also + 276 in (+/-) during his time with the wings, and keep in mind, he always faced the oppositions best line.

He was just barely edged out by Forsberg in the late 90:s, other than him he probably was the best even though Jagr, Lindros and Lemieux were active.

The reason Im not naming Gretzky, is that I will never claim hes the best player ever, points arent everything.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
So has Dats IMO
Right.

Sergei had a Hart, Pearson, 2 Selkes, and 3 consecutive 20+ point playoffs to his name when he signed his last contract with the Wings. He ended up with a contract averaging around $6.25M/yr in an era when the top guys were pulling in $9-10-11M/yr. Does it not seem a bit odd that Pavel is looking for similar money in an era when the top guys are pulling in $7M/yr?

Old
03-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

He'll look nice passing layups to Ovechkin all season long next year.

I kid, I kid.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Babcock said it's going to be Homer and Sammy on the #1 line with him.

I personally would rather have Homer and Filppula on the line.

You would think that Sammy would be a guy that could succeed playing with Pavel being that he's a guy with a big shot and ain't affriad to use it, but i personally can't stand it when they're put together. Sammy holds on to the puck too long to take advantage of a player like Pavel. I hope he proves me wrong for now though.

I just really hope that Babcock is smart enough to put Homer with Hank and Pav come playoff time, and not Sammy like it was before he got injured in December.
And once again, i can't stand it when Sammy is placed on Datsyuk's line. Datsyuk just got done playing his worst game since December. Put Homer-Pav-Filppula back together and keep Sammy off Pav's line.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D000 View Post

Zetterberg is nothing without Datsyuk just to let you all know.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Zetterberg is nothing without Datsyuk just to let you all know.
"okay"

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote