HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impressed with Datsyuk

Old
03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Don't forget that in his prime Sergei was also one of the fastest players in the league, and had among the fastest slapshots too. Hasek was once asked who had the hardest slapper, and he said it was Feds. He called in a very "heavy" shot. Whoever said he wasn't much of a playmaker wasn't paying attention. Recall that Sergei came through the Red Army team and was a classical Russian center. Playmaking is required, not optional. Along with his highly lauded defensive skills...

Basically he could set up a guy from anywhere with the same tape-to-tape passes we see from Dats, but he also could score from anywhere, and then he was able to get back on D whenever needed because he was probably the fastest (and most gifted) skater on the team. I loved watching Sergei skate because he was just in a class above most players when it came to pure skating ability.

No one should take this as a putdown of Dats, another very, very skilled player. It's just that Sergei was pretty unique.

Old
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
GuloGulo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Don't forget that in his prime Sergei was also one of the fastest players in the league, and had among the fastest slapshots too. Hasek was once asked who had the hardest slapper, and he said it was Feds. He called in a very "heavy" shot. Whoever said he wasn't much of a playmaker wasn't paying attention. Recall that Sergei came through the Red Army team and was a classical Russian center. Playmaking is required, not optional. Along with his highly lauded defensive skills...

Basically he could set up a guy from anywhere with the same tape-to-tape passes we see from Dats, but he also could score from anywhere, and then he was able to get back on D whenever needed because he was probably the fastest (and most gifted) skater on the team. I loved watching Sergei skate because he was just in a class above most players when it came to pure skating ability.

No one should take this as a putdown of Dats, another very, very skilled player. It's just that Sergei was pretty unique.
Shortly put: Sergei was the last true Soviet #1 center. They didn't come around more than one a decade, and they were pretty damn standout every single one.. Mikhailov, Larionov, Fedorov.
No Datsyuk isn't of the same school. And comparisons are unfair on many levels. Datsyuk is much more like Larionov in his NHL incarnation.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
D000

Zetterberg nothing without Datsyuk? How can you possibly explain that? Explain how great he was in the lockout, without Datsyuk. Explain how great he is on the Swedish national team, without Datsyuk. Explain each time he has played without him, and his success.

D000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Fedorov was in his early career unbelievably fast, he had great wrist shot and he aslo had a fantastic slap shot and he was a definseve demon caseu he knew how to play defensce, but also his speed was his huge advantage over other star players in the league. But .....
Pure playmakers: Datsyuk, Larionov, Forsberg, Oates, Thornton ......
Playermakers/goalscorers: Zetterberg, Fedorov, Yzerman, Sakic, Lacavalier, Lindros ....
Goalscorers: Hull, Moginly, Gangne, Hejduk, Shanahan, Kozlov, Selanne ....

You can also group them in: Power forwards, Snipers, Playmakers.

Quote:

Fedorov was probably the fastest player in the league or one of and could do those things at very high speed, but he was not a so great playmaker/offensively as the rest of his game.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
So has Dats IMO
Haha

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Fedorov was probably the fastest player in the league or one of and could do those things at very high speed, but he was not a so great playmaker/offensively as the rest of his game.
If Fedorov wasn't so valuable as a defensive center, he'd have been the protoype speedster sniper ... the kind who'd look oh-so-damn-good on today's Red Wings.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
wingnut22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Zetterberg is nothing without Datsyuk just to let you all know.
I'm going to assume you have never watched Zetterberg play, and spend all day trolling on other teams boards, and hope for your sake that you are about 9 years old. Please stop making such ignorant comments.

wingnut22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
14ari13

Signing day is April 1 for Red Wings

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0...70313016.shtml

Seems like Datsyuk will be signed soon.
The things have been going well for the team, I believe that he wants to stay with the Wings, now he just have to give the Wings some discount.

Old
03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

Ari, now you are walking on hallowed ground. I personally only own one Wings jersey.

Fedorov could thread needles with his passes as well as anyone. Remember those drop passes and other 'cute' plays that would get the guys in trouble once in a while (I think Shanny, Feds and Stevie did this one year when they were on one line)? If they didn't score enough, that's what the coaches would come back with... being too cute... not enough shooting... you know the drill. He wasn't considered a pure scorer because he WAS a Soviet/Russian center. Compare his role to say Bure or Mogilny, his Red Army linemates. While Sergei could score or snipe, as SMOE reminds us too, that was not his primary role. I think you are understating his playmaking abilities. He should be remembered more for that than scoring, I think. But yes, he is from a different mold as compared to Larionov and Dats. He just has more than they do.

Old
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0...70313016.shtml

Seems like Datsyuk will be signed soon.
The things have been going well for the team, I believe that he wants to stay with the Wings, now he just have to give the Wings some discount.

Kira should be happy to learn that everyone is saying Dats wants to stay in Detroit, and furthermore that he's building a new house in the area. I think he'd find the idea of leaving Michigan terrifying. He's an incredibly shy person for one thing. And if you've ever had to change countries/cultures (Canada does NOT count), it's not a very easy thing to do. In fact, it is really, really hard.

Old
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
CCCP

Quote:
What do you guys mean by "the most complete player"?
I have to ask this because I do not think Fedorov was good enough offensively. He had a great shot and had great speed, but I do not think he was a great playmaker.

Yeah, he sucked big time offensively!!!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
DelVecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post

Yeah, he sucked big time offensively!!!

Irrelevant.

When he was drafted, the Wings wanted him as 'a defensive center with offensive upside' (Almost an exact quote btw). We got much more than we asked for. It may have been luck that Stevie was injured in 93-94 when Sergei racked up his big offensive season; But 91 ALWAYS performed his primary role with offense to spare.

If anything, his big offensive seasons fueled unreasonable fan expectations for more, when he was in fact performing his role on the team (defense).

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Ari, now you are walking on hallowed ground. I personally only own one Wings jersey.

Fedorov could thread needles with his passes as well as anyone. Remember those drop passes and other 'cute' plays that would get the guys in trouble once in a while (I think Shanny, Feds and Stevie did this one year when they were on one line)? If they didn't score enough, that's what the coaches would come back with... being too cute... not enough shooting... you know the drill. He wasn't considered a pure scorer because he WAS a Soviet/Russian center. Compare his role to say Bure or Mogilny, his Red Army linemates. While Sergei could score or snipe, as SMOE reminds us too, that was not his primary role. I think you are understating his playmaking abilities. He should be remembered more for that than scoring, I think. But yes, he is from a different mold as compared to Larionov and Dats. He just has more than they do.
I appreciate Fedorov and what he has done for the Wings as everybody. When I think of the Wings' 3 cups, I always think of Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom and Shanahan (in no order). As Chelios says "I would give him standing ovations".
There is probably a little bit of misunderstaning because I talk about the different styles (scorer/playmaker and pure playmaker) I am not saying that one is better than the other and if I had to choose I would probably choose a scorer/playermaker over a pure playmaker.
I guess it is like this:
scorer/playermaker>pure playmaker>pure scorer, but it is not always like this.

Old
03-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D000 View Post
Zetterberg nothing without Datsyuk? How can you possibly explain that? Explain how great he was in the lockout, without Datsyuk. Explain how great he is on the Swedish national team, without Datsyuk. Explain each time he has played without him, and his success.
Well he will have lots of time to prove himself as a wing without Datsyuk. Meanwhile Datsyuk finishes top 5 in points next season playing alongside Ovechkin.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:11 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Meanwhile Datsyuk finishes top 5 in points next season playing alongside Ovechkin.
And no longer needs to worry about his playoff performance...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:50 AM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Well he will have lots of time to prove himself as a wing without Datsyuk.
Oh, you mean like last season, when he put up 85 points in 77 games as a center with Samuelsson and Holmström as his wingers?

Stop trolling, troll.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:00 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
Oh, you mean like last season, when he put up 85 points in 77 games as a center with Samuelsson and Holmström as his wingers?

Stop trolling, troll.
He spent a large portion of the season playing with Shanny and Datsyuk.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 07:24 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Ok guys, what would you do (I already asked this question some time ago)!

Would you resign Datsyuk now or after the playoffs? And what kind of salary would you give him, based on his performance?

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 08:04 AM
whitesox_2000_22*

I think that with the additions of Bertuzzi and Calder that Datsyuk is going to have more room to move in the playoffs so he should be getting his points...just think Datty, Zetts and Tuzzi wow...all i can say

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelVecchio View Post
Irrelevant.

When he was drafted, the Wings wanted him as 'a defensive center with offensive upside' (Almost an exact quote btw). We got much more than we asked for. It may have been luck that Stevie was injured in 93-94 when Sergei racked up his big offensive season; But 91 ALWAYS performed his primary role with offense to spare.

If anything, his big offensive seasons fueled unreasonable fan expectations for more, when he was in fact performing his role on the team (defense).
What's irrelevant? He said: "Fedorov was not GOOD ENOUGH offensively", so, i responded to that. IMHO, he was way better than GOOD ENOUGH offensively. so, that's pretty much makes your whole comment irrelevant!!!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
What's irrelevant? He said: "Fedorov was not GOOD ENOUGH offensively", so, i responded to that. IMHO, he was way better than GOOD ENOUGH offensively. so, that's pretty much makes your whole comment irrelevant!!!
Are you that chick in your avatar or is it someone you know. I would not mind explaining "some things" to her.
But as for Fedorov, if you read my posts in this thread, you'll see that I talk more about the style not the talent and I am not taking anything away from what Fedorov has done.
I just expressed my opinion of Sundin and Fedorov and it upset some posters, but I really just expressed my opinion, that's all.

Old
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
I just expressed my opinion of Sundin and Fedorov and it upset some posters, but I really just expressed my opinion, that's all.
And we just expressed our opinion of your opinion. That's all.

Old
03-14-2007, 01:04 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
And we just expressed our opinion of your opinion. That's all.
......just like you, just like you, ................ you probably know the rest and I hope you know what I talk about.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:26 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
Fedorov is one of the most complete players ever, Datsyuk is not.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Datsyuk ever sat out 60 games in a season because he wanted more money. Also, I don't think Datsyuk has ever asked for a contract in the neighborhood of $10M a year. Yeah, Fedorov is better. He's better at pretty much everything, especially in the playoffs. But even right now, he's making $2M more than Datsyuk. Datsyuk is well worth the $3.9M he's making, even if he doesn't score a ton in the playoffs.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:30 PM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13 View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think Datsyuk ever sat out 60 games in a season because he wanted more money. Also, I don't think Datsyuk has ever asked for a contract in the neighborhood of $10M a year. Yeah, Fedorov is better. He's better at pretty much everything, especially in the playoffs. But even right now, he's making $2M more than Datsyuk. Datsyuk is well worth the $3.9M he's making, even if he doesn't score a ton in the playoffs.
For the love of...