HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Stone

Old
03-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Ryan Stone

Still a real nowhere man in terms of pro production but I still think he's got a shot at being a solid nhl contributor and is worth a gamble. The Oilers have lots of bullets going into this year's draft and their three picks will have a lot of value come June, what do you guys think about going after him?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:07 AM
WheatiesHockey

Stone is a true team guy if there ever was one. He does have grit and guts and tries to make a contribution every shift he plays.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Still a real nowhere man in terms of pro production but I still think he's got a shot at being a solid nhl contributor and is worth a gamble. The Oilers have lots of bullets going into this year's draft and their three picks will have a lot of value come June, what do you guys think about going after him?
My question: Why?

I like Stone (his family is actually really close with my girlfriend's family) but he doesn't have much offensive potential and he'd simply be competing with guys like Brodziak, Jacques, Thoresen and Stortini (and soon O'Marra) for bottom 6 icetime. I can't really think of any reason why we would trade for Stone, we already have a plethora of prospects fighting for jobs and Stone isn't really an upgrade on any of them.

03-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
My question: Why?

I like Stone (his family is actually really close with my girlfriend's family) but he doesn't have much offensive potential and he'd simply be competing with guys like Brodziak, Jacques, Thoresen and Stortini (and soon O'Marra) for bottom 6 icetime. I can't really think of any reason why we would trade for Stone, we already have a plethora of prospects fighting for jobs and Stone isn't really an upgrade on any of them.
I think Stone has plenty of hockey skills and smarts, he just needs to outgrow his tendancy to be overly physical and concentrate more on just playing the game.

Messier's career started out a lot like Stone's did, lots of pims and very few points, but their competitiveness and skillset are a lot alike. His upside is actually quite high compared to the Oilers 2nd or third pick in the first round imo, if he can be had for that.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
His upside is actually quite high compared to the Oilers 2nd or third pick in the first round imo, if he can be had for that.
You would trade New York's or Anaheim's first rounder for Stone? I've seen the guy play quite a bit and I can honestly say I wouldn't even consider making that trade. He's a good character guy but he's destined to play a bottom 6 role in the NHL and we already have enough guys fighting to fill that role. The only year in the WHL that Stone showed much offensive upside was in his fourth season and that's typically the year that guys show a big bump in their scoring rates.

Keep in mind Messier's career started at the age of 18 in the NHL where he almost scored more than Stone scored as a 21 year old in the AHL.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Nice junior player. Good character and decent skill set. But doesn't project to a top two centreman, imo. The Oil have this type of player in abundance with Brodziak, MAP, Stoll, O'Marra.

I'd rather the Oil address longterm need in the first round than clog its system further.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 01:59 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Man, Oi'll say you really only like one type of player don't you. I have watched Stone a lot this year and he has never impressed me. I can't remember 1 game where I came out thinking "man that Stone kid is awesome" whereas, I have with Tyler Kennedy many times.

Stone wasn't worth a 1st when he was drafted and has done nothing to show me top 6 upside. He isn't worth a 1st now. Not by a long shot.

Stone absolutely shouldn't be on our to-do list.

Oi'll, you like physical guys, why don't you just hope we draft one, like JVR? There are a bunch this year with much more upside then Stone, imho.