HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 3/11: Canes vs Rangers (en)Large in the Margin edition

Old
03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
QuebeCaniac

vCash: 500
we need our powerplay to start scoring big goals. We came close to score a few times, Ladd looks good in the crease to screen shots, but we can't get any puck in the net.

What is wrong with Stillman. He is useless out there.

Grahame looked good, Lundqvist too.

Now let's focus on our next game against Florida.

QuebeCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
As terrible as we have been, the least Laviolette could do is try some other guys on the shootout. Where's Erik Cole? Why not guys with speed like LaRose or Letowski? Kaberle would probably be effective. Let's actually try and solve our biggest weakness.
I agree with that entirely. We NEED new blood on the shootout. Walker, LaRose, hell even Vasicek needs a shot.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Canes actually played one hell of a game and looked good on the 3 powerplays they actually got. Lundqvist was just stellar today unfortunitely for us.
We played solid, but we need to be better. That 4-on-3 in the overtime was the perfect opportunity, but we missed the net on every set-up shot. Either improve the accuracy or crash the net, doesn't help anyone if we just stand there and hit the glass behind the net.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I made a point to watch Stillman today too. He took every bit of the legs out of his line. If he's not healthy, let him sit.
He looked hurt at one point too, didn't he?

Anyways, I wish they could hit the net a bit more often. And perhaps go down to block a shot more than twice. An ok game though.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
As terrible as we have been, the least Laviolette could do is try some other guys on the shootout. Where's Erik Cole? Why not guys with speed like LaRose or Letowski? Kaberle would probably be effective. Let's actually try and solve our biggest weakness.
1. Erik Cole was tried a few times on the shootout. He fell down once without getting a shot off and is pretty notoriously terrible there.

2. Frank Kaberle has a weak shoulder still from his injury and would be uncomfortable in that position anyways.

3. Chad Larose has hands of stone. Knowing his luck, he'd beat the goaltender and a black hole would swallow the puck.

4. Trevor Letowski is plain weaksauce.

I think we just need for our players that are supposed to be good on the shootout to be good on the shootout.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
1. Erik Cole was tried a few times on the shootout. He fell down once without getting a shot off and is pretty notoriously terrible there.

2. Frank Kaberle has a weak shoulder still from his injury and would be uncomfortable in that position anyways.

3. Chad Larose has hands of stone. Knowing his luck, he'd beat the goaltender and a black hole would swallow the puck.

4. Trevor Letowski is plain weaksauce.

I think we just need for our players that are supposed to be good on the shootout to be good on the shootout.
Or we simply need for the league to bring back ties. Personally I would prefer that one.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:22 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Thankfully there's no shootouts in the playoffs. I would be all for giving guys like Larose, Letowski and Kaberle a shot. Kaberle beat Vokoun on a penalty shot in OT last year.

Williams skated in and took a shot from 2 feet away. Whitney missed the net. I doubt anyone else on the team could do worse. It's worth a shot.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Thankfully there's no shootouts in the playoffs. I would be all for giving guys like Larose, Letowski and Kaberle a shot. Kaberle beat Vokoun on a penalty shot in OT last year.

Williams skated in and took a shot from 2 feet away. Whitney missed the net. I doubt anyone else on the team could do worse. It's worth a shot.
That's the shot I thought of when I mentioned his name. Pretty sweet move for a defenseman.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikan View Post
He looked hurt at one point too, didn't he?

Anyways, I wish they could hit the net a bit more often. And perhaps go down to block a shot more than twice. An ok game though.
He sure did. He looked like that knee was giving him all kinds of trouble. I would understand him staying in the lineup if he was tearing it up, but he's giving no more than a healthy Anson Carter could give right now, and that's not much. Only if you rest Stillman, he'll be ready to play down the stretch when we need him to be healthy. This was a crunch game, but i'm talking about the REAL crunch games that are coming down the stretch.

One MAJOR problem that existed today was that Carolina was taking far too many shots without people in front of the net for the rebound. Who is to blame for that? My instincts would say the players away from the puck. It looked like it was taking so much effort for Carolina to gain control of the puck in the NYR zone that they commited all three forwards to digging the puck out and when they did, there was nobody out front to cash in.

Lundqvist was fit to be tied early in the game with the lack of strong rebound control, but as Carolina picked it up he also picked it up. I think there were at least three times that if Carolina had a forward where he was supposed to be they would have cashed in.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:24 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
That's the shot I thought of when I mentioned his name. Pretty sweet move for a defenseman.

And for that matter, Babchuk earlier this year against Atlanta.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
And for that matter, Babchuk earlier this year against Atlanta.
Or even thinking about that slapper that Rolston let loose against Luongo that caught him off guard. With Anton, you can't tell me him doing that wouldn't be worth a shot. If the goalie is the least bit surprised that's in the back of the net before he knows it.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Or even thinking about that slapper that Rolston let loose against Luongo that caught him off guard. With Anton, you can't tell me him doing that wouldn't be worth a shot. If the goalie is the least bit surprised that's in the back of the net before he knows it.
And the best part would be that not even Anton would know where it was going. He couldn't give it away with his eyes.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
And the best part would be that not even Anton would know where it was going. He couldn't give it away with his eyes.
This is true. It's almost as likely to end up being a the "souvineer" of some lucky fan as it is to be a goal. Either way it's prety likely to hit one net or the other.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

we don't have any skilled one on one players and Cam has not really settled into shootouts yet... I will be surprised if we win a shootout at all... I honestly think shootouts will keep us out of the playoffs

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Canes actually played one hell of a game and looked good on the 3 powerplays they actually got. Lundqvist was just stellar today unfortunitely for us.

Best goaltender since the all star break....

These are tight games. A lot on the line. Every point counts. Every missed point counts

03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Foppa2118

How did Cole look out there for you guys? Was he skating ok or did he look a little rusty?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

What's the status on Cam Ward?

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:26 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What's the status on Cam Ward?
See the new thread.

CioCio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
WoodGundy

I am emotionally and virtually bankrupt after the game today. I don't have any faith in the team beating anyone right now.

The Rangers played 3 in the last 4 nights and are as banged up or more so than the 'Canes right now. Our record in character defining games this year is terrible.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote