HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which scenario will make Isles more likely to sign Smyth?

Old
03-11-2007, 05:18 PM
melubsdonna

vCash: 500
Which scenario will make Isles more likely to sign Smyth?

A) The Isles make the playoffs and go on a long run with Smyth being a big part of it

B) The Isles miss the playoffs and potentially lose 3 first round picks for nothing

What do you guys think?

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post
A) The Isles make the playoffs and go on a long run with Smyth being a big part of it

B) The Isles miss the playoffs and potentially lose 3 first round picks for nothing

What do you guys think?
Better question is what scenario would make Smyth resign with the Isles. He is UFA.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
dynastydays

It's irrelevant to the Oilers if you're contemplating his availablity, as Edmonton will not be interested in making an offer to Smyth for anything near what a number of other teams likely will be making.

Lowe has made his opinion on Smyth's value pretty clear, be that right or wrong I see no point in thinking he has been disingenuous with his remarks in the least.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Cerebral

I think a playoff run is New York's best chance to resign Smyth. I just can't see him passing up the opportunity to see what offers are out there though, he has been talking about "taking care" of his family for the past year so I really don't see why he wouldn't wait an extra month or two to see if some teams really covet him.

03-11-2007, 05:31 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I think a playoff run is New York's best chance to resign Smyth. I just can't see him passing up the opportunity to see what offers are out there though, he has been talking about "taking care" of his family for the past year so I really don't see why he wouldn't wait an extra month or two to see if some teams really covet him.
Do I detect a hint of facetiousness?

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
grego

I don't really care where Smyth signs, but I suspect Wang will give him a healthy offer to stay on the Island.

I am not sure if the Oilers would give Ryan the deal he turned down, and if he wants that kind of deal or more he will have to look around the NHL.

The Oilers were offering Ryan a high deal for all the intangibles and to keep him an Oiler forever. Now that the Oiler only part has been broken you look at it as, how much is a player like this worth to the team.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I'm over the loss. He can go wherever he wants for all I care now.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Tyrolean

I wish Smyth all the money he can get as a UFA. This probably means never playing for Edmonton again so I can live with that. The team that signs him to a 5 year contract will be having a diminishing asset in the last 2 years.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Oilers rule

i hjope he come back and that the ilanders dont make it past the second round

Oilers rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
CanadianDestroyer

I see Ryan Smyth as nothing more than a rental for the Islanders. He'll play with them in the playoffs then, once they exit (they will leave, the East will get tough past the first-round) it's straight to the UFA market for him.

I seriously do not see him coming back to Edmonton. If he does then; wonderful, the rebuilding may begin quicker than anticipated.

The thing about the Islanders is they have a tough time come the FA market. Blake, Simon, Asham, Kozlov, Zednik, Robataille, Poti, Hill, Bouchard and Dunham are all headed to UFA along with Smyth. Hilbert and Hunter are headed to RFA as well. So they will have to let someone go and Smyth will go because they already screwed themselves over financially with Yashin and DiPietro. They'll look to simply patching the team together rather than invest into another huge, long-term deal. So, Smyth is a rental that will go once they leave the playoffs.

What's really going to screw the Islanders over is they gave up half the farm for a rental that will leave. That's going to mess them up.

So, Smyth will not likely stay with the Islanders so now we have the other teams offering him long-term deals to come aboard. The Oilers might have an advantage with the whole "home-town" factor if they determine his leadership is vital to the team. But, if it comes down to money again then the Oilers will be short-handed (though if they let some UFAs go they'll have more cap room).

CanadianDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post

What do you guys think?

Who cares, Lets move on!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Homer Thompson

To the tune of "My Girl" from the band Chilliwack,

"Gone, gone, gone, he's been gone so long, a gone, gone, gone sooo long..."

Homer Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Asiaoil

If Smyth signs with the Isles then it truly is all about the green - but for some reason I think he ends up in OTT after we ship them picks and prospects for Redden to clear cap space. Still want JayBo more than Redden but that would be OK.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Only way Smyth forgoes UFA is if the Isle offer him 6.5-7M for 5+(+++? this is Wang) years.

Baring crazy contract like that, I think he'll wait till UFA. His agent is probably advising him to do just that.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:17 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
If Smyth signs with the Isles then it truly is all about the green - but for some reason I think he ends up in OTT after we ship them picks and prospects for Redden to clear cap space. Still want JayBo more than Redden but that would be OK.
Redden, Smith would suuuuuuuuck to resign next summer though. If we're trading for Redden there better be a pre-negotiated contract.

Well I guess Smith is probably near gone anyways. He could even be traded at the draft to a team looking for vet. leadership at a reasonable price(Philly). He still has many years ahead of him, but we can't afford him, Redden(can replace with another #1D) and Staios. I'll be sad to see him go.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Redden, Smith would suuuuuuuuck to resign next summer though. If we're trading for Redden there better be a pre-negotiated contract.

Well I guess Smith is probably near gone anyways. He could even be traded at the draft to a team looking for vet. leadership at a reasonable price(Philly). He still has many years ahead of him, but we can't afford him, Redden(can replace with another #1D) and Staios. I'll be sad to see him go.
That's the trade I would make - one where Redden comes over for an agreed upon 5 year contract extension worth about $25 - $27 million. The guy is good but just not $6.25 million worth of good per year - he's overpaid about $1 million per.

Smith actually wont have many years left after next season - he will be 35 next year and there are a lot of miles on that chassis - he's never been the fastest guy either and I expect the wheels to fall off sooner rather than later.

Old
03-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
That's the trade I would make - one where Redden comes over for an agreed upon 5 year contract extension worth about $25 - $27 million. The guy is good but just not $6.25 million worth of good per year - he's overpaid about $1 million per.

Smith actually wont have many years left after next season - he will be 35 next year and there are a lot of miles on that chassis - he's never been the fastest guy either and I expect the wheels to fall off sooner rather than later.
I agree, Smith doesn't have as much value as people think over here. If you can get anything decent for here I'd do it in a second. As for Ryan Smyth, I think I can get a better player for 5-6 mil than him.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:13 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I agree, Smith doesn't have as much value as people think over here. If you can get anything decent for here I'd do it in a second. As for Ryan Smyth, I think I can get a better player for 5-6 mil than him.
I don't think you and Asia are in agreement.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:10 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
I don't think you and Asia are in agreement.
You're right - we don't. Smith is good value for next season but after that I'm leery of any contract more than 2 years at anything more than $3 million. Frankly I think it will be time to part company come July 2008 if we are a playoff team - earlier if we miss again - but for now at $2 million a year he's solid value.