HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Orr

Old
03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Colton Orr

I think the guy has finally shown that he is a capable enough guy to throw out there on the 4th line for 5-8 minutes per game. He hits everything in sight and I think over the course of the year that his skating has improved quite a bit (not that it was anything other than atrocious earlier on, though).

I mean, the guy still has a long way to go in the skating department, but I think that that could be easily fixed if we send him to Jason Ward's instructor. I used to have a bit of a concern when he was on the ice and I thought he might be a liability out there, but I don't think I really fear that anymore. He even gets offensive chances once in a while, which is something I never thought I'd see.

I'd like to see him take some boxing lessons or something in the off season, because he has a real real deadly throw when he can get his arms free. Maybe develop that a bit more and such, since the guy could really be a feared fighter in the league in the future.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I think the guy has finally shown that he is a capable enough guy to throw out there on the 4th line for 5-8 minutes per game. He hits everything in sight and I think over the course of the year that his skating has improved quite a bit (not that it was anything other than atrocious earlier on, though).

I mean, the guy still has a long way to go in the skating department, but I think that that could be easily fixed if we send him to Jason Ward's instructor. I used to have a bit of a concern when he was on the ice and I thought he might be a liability out there, but I don't think I really fear that anymore. He even gets offensive chances once in a while, which is something I never thought I'd see.

I'd like to see him take some boxing lessons or something in the off season, because he has a real real deadly throw when he can get his arms free. Maybe develop that a bit more and such, since the guy could really be a feared fighter in the league in the future.

I agree and it is not the fact I am the DAgoon it is the fact the kid trys hard every shift and dude non of us would have wanted to be him SAT in Pitt.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
amen

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

I'm impressed since he's only been on for 1 goal against all year.

ALL YEAR.

Been on for 2 for and is a +1.

While it's never an every play kind of thing, he has been on VS scoring lines in the past if they got in a good line change and whatnot and he's been able to hold his own even in those situations.

He's impressed me lately.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

He must lead the team in most half @ss breakway attempts.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:36 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Thought that was Matt Cullen.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
TomLaidlaw

Good Post. I feel the same way. Early on I use to get nervous anytime he was on the ice, I don't get that feeling anymore. Renney still doesn't have the confidence to play him late in the 3rd in close games but thats ok. He is still young and works really hard every shift and we need his presence on the bench in case thigns get chippy. With Averys yapping and Hollwegs hitting there is always a good chance of things getting chippy.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
bozz723*

Orr got his ass kicked by Laraque. Wanted to take the heavyweight title, and got knocked out. I like him though.

bozz723* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz723 View Post
Orr got his ass kicked by Laraque. Wanted to take the heavyweight title, and got knocked out. I like him though.
Gotta give him credit for going after Big George.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
polako

Laraque was bleeding after that fight, no?

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
LOL He did have the cleanest open shot at Ward today in the Canes game. As soon as I saw him get that puck in the open like that I was shouting "Skate skate to the net !!!"

I was thinking his best shot was to just barrel that baby home.

I think Colton Orr gets Renny another feather in his cap. He has actually looked like a real player the latter part of the season and if he infact continues his progress he has Renny to thank for seeing something in him most people did not.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
NYROrtsFan

Orr is a very good fighter but Laraque is on a different level... That is going to happen. The only others i see him struggling against are the absolutely huge guys like Boogard and McGrattan. And he did very well against Gratts earlier this year.

Something else worth mentioning with Orr is that the line has ended up being matched against some really good lines lately... FOr the last bunch of games they have started off each period against the opposing teams best lines and manage to hold their own.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
LOL He did have the cleanest open shot at Ward today in the Canes game. As soon as I saw him get that puck in the open like that I was shouting "Skate skate to the net !!!"

I was thinking his best shot was to just barrel that baby home.

I think Colton Orr gets Renny another feather in his cap. He has actually looked like a real player the latter part of the season and if he infact continues his progress he has Renny to thank for seeing something in him most people did not.
Yet another reason why Renney would be better in player development and such rather than coaching, IMO.

Old
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

About time folks...
good to see

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:20 PM
NYROrtsFan

All i think Orr needs to improve on is the anticipation in terms of hitting. Although he has functional speed, he doesnt have that Hollweg speed where he can rely on it to make big hits. Orr has to get better at anticipating what is happening so he can use that to measure up the hits. As he's plaeyd more and more, i think he's getting better at that aspect so hopefully it continues.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Fish

Quote:
I see this comment a lot, but I have to disagree completely...if Colton Orr did hit everything in sight then he'd be a much better player than he is. He's okay as a 4th liner, and it's not like the Rangers have very many options. You can also throw him out there if there's rough stuff going on, but I'd like to see more from him in terms of using his body.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:47 PM
BigE

Quote:

Yeah, two breakaways in less than a week. I swear to christ I saw a pig flying out my window the other day!

I'm not sure it's even a stretch to say he's improved in his skating from this year to last year (something which I noticed right at the beginning of the year).

Having an enforcer like him that's capable of participating on an energy line, not taking penalties, and contributing 8 minutes a night would do wonders for our team, though. That's 8 minutes x 82 games that we need not distribute to our other three lines, which would pay dividends come March or playoff time.

Hopefully Pearn can work with him just the way he's worked with Hossa.

As for the fighting: I'm not so sure that taking boxing lessons is going to help, because as you say when he gets an arm free he can really do some damage. For me it's more a matter of him learning how to fight on skates. You could see against Laraque that he dove in head first with both arms looking for the clutch. Were Laraque a true puncher he would have dropped Orr in one punch, but instead he muscled him (which is how he fights: he muscles you to a disadvantage and then throws long, arching strikes). I'd rather see him go in with his lead, adjust for range, and then pull and pop. All the while keep his head up and out of harms way. As you say with that effective hand of his it wouldn't take long for him down a guy (Andre Roy, anyone).

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Yeah, two breakaways in less than a week. I swear to christ I saw a pig flying out my window the other day!

I'm not sure it's even a stretch to say he's improved in his skating from this year to last year (something which I noticed right at the beginning of the year).

Having an enforcer like him that's capable of participating on an energy line, not taking penalties, and contributing 8 minutes a night would do wonders for our team, though. That's 8 minutes x 82 games that we need not distribute to our other three lines, which would pay dividends come March or playoff time.

Hopefully Pearn can work with him just the way he's worked with Hossa.

As for the fighting: I'm not so sure that taking boxing lessons is going to help, because as you say when he gets an arm free he can really do some damage. For me it's more a matter of him learning how to fight on skates. You could see against Laraque that he dove in head first with both arms looking for the clutch. Were Laraque a true puncher he would have dropped Orr in one punch, but instead he muscled him (which is how he fights: he muscles you to a disadvantage and then throws long, arching strikes). I'd rather see him go in with his lead, adjust for range, and then pull and pop. All the while keep his head up and out of harms way. As you say with that effective hand of his it wouldn't take long for him down a guy (Andre Roy, anyone).
It's been said he has lost weight- not suprising why his skating has improved.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Fish

Just for sanity's sake, I looked up Orr's Hits total for the season. He has 40 in 41 games...compared to Hollweg's 199 in 66 games.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:33 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Cullen half assed breakaway? I see him as one of the hardest working players and is always looking to make something out of nothing, but that's not to say he goes too far (Nylander? Just an example, I'm one of the few that like this guy lately).
Now, back to Orr. I think he has incredible potential. He can fight, now lets hone his skill to make him a feared enforcer. He's got a serious pair to even go toe to toe with LaRaque, to say he can't fight because he lost to Geroges is pointless. A developing fighter vs. the best in the league? And he didn't do that bad to boot.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:50 AM
ivrydov

The good aspect is that Orr has played a string of games in a row and hasn't hurt the team. The last time he wasn't dressed Philadelphia came in and ran roughshod over the Rangers. Under normal circumstances he could have sat against Carolina, but if he's not a liability, it's just as well to play him. Ottawa coming in is another one of those teams that will try to strong-arm an opponent if you let them and Orr's presence will help keep them from getting out of hand, as they did against Buffalo in that big brawl.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Just for sanity's sake, I looked up Orr's Hits total for the season. He has 40 in 41 games...compared to Hollweg's 199 in 66 games.
I'm with the Fish here...from many games i saw, he just misses the hit or just bums into opposing player.
He need to learn how to read the game and how to properly hit to be valuable for this team.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 06:49 AM
HAPPY HOUR

And perhaps most important is that his teamates love him and know that opposing teams are not going to get away with cheapshots without retribution ie Ovechkin.I hope we get to keep him as our 4th line winger, especially since it appears that the NHL is looking long and hard into many fans complaints (and lack of attendence) because the game as gone waaay too soft.
I think it was on Don Cherrys Grapevine Sat night where they were saying that they can't sell out Red Wing games anymore.
They polled a few hundred fans and the main complaint was that hockey fans in that area were not happy with the games direction and that they miss the days of intense rivalries and "on nice personalities like Bob Probert and Joey Kocur.
I wonder if Ken Holland took this criticism to heart.because he dressed Darryl Bootland against the Bruins yesterday.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:15 AM
eco's bones

He has improved his skating but it will be issue as long as he's playing at the NHL level. As a heavyweight he's been kind of mediocre. He is responsible defensively but his spot is upgradeable--possible he will be back next year but I don't see a long NHL career for this guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:51 AM
wereback

When was the last time he took a penalty that wasn't a fighting or roughing penalty? He has done exactly what the coaching staff has asked....PROTECT our Skilled players....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote