HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Orr

Old
03-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Good on Ya Colton. The Rangers have put in mucho time with him. Glad to see him getting some ice time and a little respect. He's a gutty guy that has come from no where and works really hard. I respect anybody like that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
This simply isn't true. We may have to agree to disagree here. Laraque isn't the type of fighter like Tony Twist, probert, Kocur were. Guys who tried to crush your skull with every punch. There are guys who fight to inure people and people who fight to get the decision. BGL is the latter. He has a very simple strategy he uses his strength to smother you then throws short little left jabs until eh feels like he won the fight then throws you to the ground. Did Orr looked "Pulverized" as you called it after that fight? He was smiling, sure he lost but that is usually the result in every BGl fight the guy gets up and skates to the box. Laraque beat Boogard this year in a fight but if you asked NHl players who they are afraid of more I would guarantee you most guys fear Boogard because he punches to KO people not to score the most punches and win on the judges card.
Like you said, we'll have to agree to disagree. But I thought we were comparing Orr and Laraques, and there is no comparison in regards to fighting...ANd, seriously, I really don't care too much about that...Laraques is a 1000X better hockey player then Orr and that's the player I want....

And unless they are knocked cold or bleeding profusley, every goon trys to smile and look like they're having a party after they get their ass kicked..I've seen Orr do it quite alot...!

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Burberry Manning

Orr has been a very good fighter throughout his entire pro career. I would even argue that he has been a top 5 fighter in the minors and will soon be mentioned as a top 5 fighter in the NHL. However, he certainly seems to have taken a step back this year in this capacity. I really do think that the reasons for this are simply 1. He has noticeably lost weight this season 2. He most likely has concentrated his efforts on developing other hockey skills moreso than fighting 3. The level of competition he has faught this season is incredible.....That being said, I really hope to see him use this upcoming offseason to perhaps put on some more muscle-mass and develop better technique against left-handers.

Quite simply, Colton Orr is almost a cult-hero to some fight fans because he has the uncanny ability/strength to literally break faces with one right-handed punch. That is his gift. Unfortunately this season, especially against bigger opponents, he has tended to become more finesse and carefull, stifling his greatest attribute. If you watch his fights with Brash and Laraque he does just this and falls prey to their strategy of locking him in tight and out-muscling him. What I believe he should do to rectify this is take a step back, evaluate his recent performances, and start firing his right-hand cannon more often. He wont out-muscle many heavys he will face but he will knock them out with pure punching power and quickness.

Bottom line....Orr is a hardworking player who is a great teammate and is feared by many in the league for crushing knockouts. He is young, he is hungry, and he has proven that he will work to improve himself. If you put him in your lineup and let him go against anybody not named Laraque or Brashear(who are basically untouchable) he will lay down the law.

Burberry Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Paulie Walnuts

Quote:
every goon trys to smile and look like they're having a party after they get their ass kicked..I've seen Orr do it quite alot...!
Really? I don't recall seeing Roy acting like there was a party after fighting Orr. Belak I couldn't tell because he wore a SHEILD for a month after. What about Goddard? Maybe he was smiling underneath all of that blood.

Big deal Orr lost to Laraque and also lost to Brashear. He hasn't backed down to either of them and probably never will. I just don't understand why you have a problem with Orr so much Larry. He's easily known as one of the toughest in the league, and has never hurt the team with bad penalties or been a liability to the team when on the ice. You have never been able to say a good thing about him and your arguments seem to always lack tangible reasoning. I have to assume that your attitude towards Orr runs deeper than just being a hockey fan. Whatever it is...get help.

Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
NYROrtsFan

Laraque doesnt enforce... To be honest, he doesnt seem to care much about hockey at all. He is a guy who can fight extremely well... The best in the league. But the guy is not an enforcer. People will still take runs with him out there and they know he's not doing anything. He'll accept any challenge, but that is it.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Really? I don't recall seeing Roy acting like there was a party after fighting Orr. Belak I couldn't tell because he wore a SHEILD for a month after. What about Goddard? Maybe he was smiling underneath all of that blood.

Big deal Orr lost to Laraque and also lost to Brashear. He hasn't backed down to either of them and probably never will. I just don't understand why you have a problem with Orr so much Larry. He's easily known as one of the toughest in the league, and has never hurt the team with bad penalties or been a liability to the team when on the ice. You have never been able to say a good thing about him and your arguments seem to always lack tangible reasoning. I have to assume that your attitude towards Orr runs deeper than just being a hockey fan. Whatever it is...get help.
lmao

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Laraque doesnt enforce... To be honest, he doesnt seem to care much about hockey at all. He is a guy who can fight extremely well... The best in the league. But the guy is not an enforcer. People will still take runs with him out there and they know he's not doing anything. He'll accept any challenge, but that is it.
I agree...the Laraque we see now is not the same guy we saw a few years ago either. He has tried to purposely distance himself from the role of enforcer, and concentrate more on the game of hockey itself. He never enjoyed the enforcer role and obviously had/has issues with that part of his game to this day.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

There's nothing tangible about any of this, on either side. It's all opinion..That being said, to me, everything tangible is on the ice. Just my opinion, but he can't skate, He can't play, He can barely hit, and he's a so-so fighter...Maybe I go overboard a bit--and I confess, i do so on purpose--but in part it's becasue of the excessive and groundless adulation that he gets from some....

And did you actually read my post? when I said all goons try to smile away a defeat unless they have been knocked out or were bleeding profusely, I had in mind the fights like the earth-shattering Orr KOs of Roy and Goddard (two pedestrian fighters by the way)..
And have never said Orr has backed down from anyone or criticized him for losing to Laraques because everybody loses to Laraques..So, as for attitude, maybe counter things I said and not things that I didn't..

Old
03-13-2007, 10:40 AM
NYROrtsFan

Godard is a pedestrian fighter?

How about Belak too?

Boogaard?

All ended up having something broken on their faces from Orr.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Paulie Walnuts

Your right...it is all opinion. My opinion is that you feel the need to bash him everytime someone says something positive about him. THere isn't any more "excessive" or "groundless adulation" about Orr than there is about any other player on the Ranger Roster on this or any other board. Yet you seem to feel the need to chime in every time his name is mentioned because he doesn't play the type of game you like - and I find it odd.
By the way, if you consider Roy and Goddard pedestrian fighters, then I really think you have an unrealistic view of the game and don't have an understanding of the enforcer role. Also, Goddard has beaten Brashear in the past - Pedestrian fighter? I think not.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
bleedrngrblue

its amazing....last season, people criticised Orr for not being much of a player. this season, he is so much better, obviously working hard at getting better, and people still find reasons to knock him. Without him, some of the players on this team would be toast.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Godard is a pedestrian fighter?

How about Belak too?

Boogaard?

All ended up having something broken on their faces from Orr.
And did I say Belak (who smoked Orr a few months ago) was? Did I say Boogard was?..

And, really, I couldn't care less about the hammering rights of Orr the God Of Thunder, I care more about what he can do as a hockey player--and that is very little.

Old
03-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Your right...it is all opinion. My opinion is that you feel the need to bash him everytime someone says something positive about him. THere isn't any more "excessive" or "groundless adulation" about Orr than there is about any other player on the Ranger Roster on this or any other board. Yet you seem to feel the need to chime in every time his name is mentioned because he doesn't play the type of game you like - and I find it odd.
By the way, if you consider Roy and Goddard pedestrian fighters, then I really think you have an unrealistic view of the game and don't have an understanding of the enforcer role. Also, Goddard has beaten Brashear in the past - Pedestrian fighter? I think not.
ALthough I do beleive what I'm saying about him, I'm Just playing along and having fun..What this baord is supposed to be about....You guys take it way too seriosuly..

And, actually, what type of game does Orr play?

ANd, I am no fight groupie, but to me, the top fighters are McGrattan, Brashear, Laraques, Boogaard, the LA Pron Star, Peters, and Belak (i.m sure there is more worthy of this level)....I put fighters like Goddard, Roy and Orr in the next pedestrian level..

Old
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Its a PP Goal

Orr has gone a long way in my book. Early in the season he looked absolutely horrible on the ice, he didn't skate well and he fumbled the puck every time he touched it. All criticism directed at him was well deserved. Now he seems a little more comfortable and he definitely improved his skating. I don't mind dressing him for tough physical games. He's still just a borderline NHLer though, I think he should be scratched on most nights in favor of a player that can give you a regular shift.

Last edited by Its a PP Goal: 03-13-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Paulie Walnuts

He can do enough to earn a roster spot for the last 2 seasons. He is respected enough by his coach and teamates to have steadily increased his ice-time over the last few months. Obviously he is considered a Hockey Player by these REAL judges of hockey talent - who understand the game of hockey as a whole, and not just fans of the finnesse players.

Old
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
NYROrtsFan

Fair on Orr the player. What i want from him mostly is him becoming a better hitter. Think the way for him to do that is to see the play happening a bit earlier.

My point was just to refute the idea that he's not a good fighter. Not great, but he is very good.

Old
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberry Manning View Post
Orr has been a very good fighter throughout his entire pro career. I would even argue that he has been a top 5 fighter in the minors and will soon be mentioned as a top 5 fighter in the NHL. However, he certainly seems to have taken a step back this year in this capacity. I really do think that the reasons for this are simply 1. He has noticeably lost weight this season 2. He most likely has concentrated his efforts on developing other hockey skills moreso than fighting 3. The level of competition he has faught this season is incredible.....That being said, I really hope to see him use this upcoming offseason to perhaps put on some more muscle-mass and develop better technique against left-handers.

Quite simply, Colton Orr is almost a cult-hero to some fight fans because he has the uncanny ability/strength to literally break faces with one right-handed punch. That is his gift. Unfortunately this season, especially against bigger opponents, he has tended to become more finesse and carefull, stifling his greatest attribute. If you watch his fights with Brash and Laraque he does just this and falls prey to their strategy of locking him in tight and out-muscling him. What I believe he should do to rectify this is take a step back, evaluate his recent performances, and start firing his right-hand cannon more often. He wont out-muscle many heavys he will face but he will knock them out with pure punching power and quickness.

Bottom line....Orr is a hardworking player who is a great teammate and is feared by many in the league for crushing knockouts. He is young, he is hungry, and he has proven that he will work to improve himself. If you put him in your lineup and let him go against anybody not named Laraque or Brashear(who are basically untouchable) he will lay down the law.

What's up Burberry. I'm a new guy here, and I gotta say that's a great post, and I totally agree with you on Colton Orr.

Colton dosen't nearly get the respect he deserves. He is a good fighter, he has excellent power in his right hand, and he's coming around with the left hand as we have seen in his fights with Cam Janssens. Anyway, the way I look at it is this. In only 2 full seasons Orr has managed 29 NHL fighting majors. Forget about what he did in Jrs and in the AHL. In his 29 NHL majors 9 of them stand out in my mind. Here they are and here's why.

Joe Rullier- Broken Nose
Andre Roy- Broken Orbital Bone
Wade Belak- Broken Nose
Eric Godard- Broken Nose
Eric Godard- TKO<---missed time with concussion problems
Eric Boulton- TKO
Cam Janssens- Knockdown(possible TKO)
Jody Shelley- Bloodied

So let's go back and take a look at how he has performed when taking into consideration what some other Ranger heavies have done since being here. Starting with the great Nicky Fotiu. Is Orr the next Fotiu...hell no, but in all of Nicky's fights I can't recall one single KO, TKO, or anyone leaving the ice with a broken nose. So for Fotiu he had approximately 44 NYR fighting majors in his time here, which I think was around a 5 or 6 year time frame. So in 2 seasons he has done far more damage than Fotiu who is largely considered the greatest Ranger foghter of all time. So maybe that's not a fair comparision, Nicky was a much better technical fighter than Orr, so if you were to switch him with Joe Kocur(my personal fav) and compare them by the numbners. Kocur who is considered by many to be the greatest one punch knockout artist of his time, had 53 fights while he was with the New York Rangers. In those 53 he didn't do quite as much damage. He is a list of what he accomplished in that time.

Claude Boivin- One punch TKO
Troy Loney- TKO
Jay Caufield- TKO
Mike Eagles- KO
Neil Wilkinson- TKO

Strictly from a standpoint of what Kocur did when he was with the Rangers, when looking at the damage done, Orr has done more. If you were to look back careerwise, Kocur has done far more than Colton, but even in his best two seasons combined, Kocur hasen't generated the same amount of damage that Orr has. Now the differece being Colton Orr also losses alot more than Fotiu, and Kocur. I totally agree that this has alot to do with the fact that he has lost alot of the weight to keep up witht he play of the new game. And I like what he has done, ans he in no way has been a defensive liability out there. In fact some nights he gets some damn good scoring chances, but he will never be a scorer at this level. That is a given, but for Orr I think he has done a tremendous job since being here, and I seriously hope that the Rangers hang onto him. I would hate to see what happened with guys like Tie Domi, and Eric Cairns to Colton Orr. You know they both get thie rcareers going in NY, and then get traded away to become very, VERY effective enforcers, while playing a regular shift for thier respective clubs.

One more thing about Orr, while i'm on the topic. There were a few others that came into this league in and around Orr's age group. They started off with the tools, but didn;t fare all that well in thier first few seasons. Once again i'm going to mention Eric Cairns. This guy was huge, and came out of Jrs with a huge reputation. And he got going early in his Ranger career but was labeled as a guy who had a glass jaw, and the Rangers let him get away. Well that same guy turned into one of the best heavyweights in the game. Another guy worth mentioning here is Rob Ray. In his first few seasons Ray couldn't win a damn fight to save his life. Well he went one to be another one of the best one punch artists in the game. Another one worth mentioning is Stu Grimson, who had the skills but according to fight fans at the time didn't have the balance. Grimson is one of the most popular heavies to ever play the game now. So for Orr, two seasons almost completed, and hopefully alot of hockey ahead of him, and who knows what might happen? I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if he becomes one of the best in the game in a couple seasons. Let him develop his skills a little more. I would like to see him come back a little bigger next season, so he can hang with the Laraque and Brashears of the world. Maybe he could work his techniques in the off season as well. He definately struggles with the lefties. This is one Ranger fan that appreciates what this guy brings to the table. I'll take a Colton Orr anyday over a Sandy McCarthy, or a Chris Simon....two guys who did thier work as an enforcer on thier own terms. A guy like Orr never ducked anyone, and i'll take him over a Purinton anyday also being that he's a guy that doesn;t look to get the jump on people, or throw cheap shots. He honest, he's young, he's got KO power, and he should be resigned!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:42 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I definitely think he has improved since last season. I mean, what's with all these partial breakaways he keeps getting?! If he ever learns to finish a bit more, then watch out NHL. I also liked the backhand goal he scored a few weeks ago.

The one thing I do get a laugh at though is his skating. He's still pretty shaky and looks a bit clumsy out there. During one game I can recall watching him coast in a straight line to go pressure a defenseman behind the goal line, and Orr's ankles were rolling in and out. How do you ankles wobble when you're just gliding in a straight line? He looked like his feet were just going to fly out to the sides and he was going to do a split right there in the middle of the ice.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
chosen

The main reason to have a player like Orr is to ensure that your stars don't get hammered. Considering the abuse Jagr and the rest take on a nightly basis Orr has zero affect as a deterrent or as an avenger.

His willingness to fight Brashear or whomever has nothing to do with anything of value to the team. I'd be more impressed if he learned how to throw a body check.

For those who argue that he is young I would say that he is old enough that his game will probably not improve very much if at all. He ain't 20.

I'm not arguing his fighting abilities. He seems to be about average of the guys around the league, which is good enough.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
NYROrtsFan

Disagree COMPLETELY on the idea that he hasnt been a deterrent... There has visibly been much less in terms of people taking runs. That Flyer game was the last game where we seen any goon tactics and the rest have been legit.

Janssen has been zero affect in each game he's played, as well as some other players too.

You are never going to stop players from getting hit. if you think an enforcer can do that, you are mistaken. that will always happen. But what you want to stop is people clearly running around and taking heads.

There has been a considerable difference in what has happened since that Flyers game and Orr being in the lineup. That is just one reason why Orr continues to be in the lineup.

Old
03-13-2007, 01:28 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
What's up Burberry. I'm a new guy here, and I gotta say that's a great post, and I totally agree with you on Colton Orr.

Colton dosen't nearly get the respect he deserves. He is a good fighter, he has excellent power in his right hand, and he's coming around with the left hand as we have seen in his fights with Cam Janssens. Anyway, the way I look at it is this. In only 2 full seasons Orr has managed 29 NHL fighting majors. Forget about what he did in Jrs and in the AHL. In his 29 NHL majors 9 of them stand out in my mind. Here they are and here's why.

Joe Rullier- Broken Nose
Wade Belak- Broken Nose
Eric Godard- Broken Nose
Eric Boulton- TKO
Jody Shelley- Bloodied

So let's go back and take a look at how he has performed when taking into consideration what some other Ranger heavies have done since being here. Starting with the great Nicky Fotiu. Is Orr the next Fotiu...hell no, but in all of Nicky's fights I can't recall one single KO, TKO, or anyone leaving the ice with a broken nose. So for Fotiu he had approximately 44 NYR fighting majors in his time here, which I think was around a 5 or 6 year time frame. So in 2 seasons he has done far more damage than Fotiu who is largely considered the greatest Ranger foghter of all time. So maybe that's not a fair comparision, Nicky was a much better technical fighter than Orr, so if you were to switch him with Joe Kocur(my personal fav) and compare them by the numbners. Kocur who is considered by many to be the greatest one punch knockout artist of his time, had 53 fights while he was with the New York Rangers. In those 53 he didn't do quite as much damage. He is a list of what he accomplished in that time.

Troy Loney- TKO
Jay Caufield- TKO
Mike Eagles- KO
Neil Wilkinson- TKO

Strictly from a standpoint of what Kocur did when he was with the Rangers, when looking at the damage done, Orr has done more. If you were to look back careerwise, Kocur has done far more than Colton, but even in his best two seasons combined, Kocur hasen't generated the same amount of damage that Orr has. Now the differece being Colton Orr also losses alot more than Fotiu, and Kocur. I totally agree that this has alot to do with the fact that he has lost alot of the weight to keep up witht he play of the new game. And I like what he has done, ans he in no way has been a defensive liability out there. In fact some nights he gets some damn good scoring chances, but he will never be a scorer at this level. That is a given, but for Orr I think he has done a tremendous job since being here, and I seriously hope that the Rangers hang onto him. I would hate to see what happened with guys like Tie Domi, and Eric Cairns to Colton Orr. You know they both get thie rcareers going in NY, and then get traded away to become very, VERY effective enforcers, while playing a regular shift for thier respective clubs.

One more thing about Orr, while i'm on the topic. There were a few others that came into this league in and around Orr's age group. They started off with the tools, but didn;t fare all that well in thier first few seasons. Once again i'm going to mention Eric Cairns. This guy was huge, and came out of Jrs with a huge reputation. And he got going early in his Ranger career but was labeled as a guy who had a glass jaw, and the Rangers let him get away. Well that same guy turned into one of the best heavyweights in the game. Another guy worth mentioning here is Rob Ray. In his first few seasons Ray couldn't win a damn fight to save his life. Well he went one to be another one of the best one punch artists in the game. Another one worth mentioning is Stu Grimson, who had the skills but according to fight fans at the time didn't have the balance. Grimson is one of the most popular heavies to ever play the game now. So for Orr, two seasons almost completed, and hopefully alot of hockey ahead of him, and who knows what might happen? I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if he becomes one of the best in the game in a couple seasons. Let him develop his skills a little more. I would like to see him come back a little bigger next season, so he can hang with the Laraque and Brashears of the world. Maybe he could work his techniques in the off season as well. He definately struggles with the lefties. This is one Ranger fan that appreciates what this guy brings to the table. I'll take a Colton Orr anyday over a Sandy McCarthy, or a Chris Simon....two guys who did thier work as an enforcer on thier own terms. A guy like Orr never ducked anyone, and i'll take him over a Purinton anyday also being that he's a guy that doesn;t look to get the jump on people, or throw cheap shots. He honest, he's young, he's got KO power, and he should be resigned!

Great Post.....alot of nostalgia in it. I was a big Nick Fotiu fan as a kid. I agree that Orr, for all his detractors, is needed on this team. they can talk about the NEW NHL all they want, this kid is the real deal, and seems to be working his tail off to improve his game.

Old
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
But what you want to stop is people clearly running around and taking heads.
Did you miss the Chris Simon incident?

Look, no one is a complete deterrent. I'm not even certain there is such a thing as a deterrent. The best deterrent is to have tough guys who can dish it out as well as take it throughout your roster.

Orr and his buddies are dinosaurs. At some point everyone will have to face up to that fact unless the game changes back.

Last edited by chosen: 03-13-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old
03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

Joe Rullier- Broken Nose
Wade Belak- Broken Nose
Eric Godard- Broken Nose
Eric Boulton- TKO
Jody Shelley- Bloodied

Troy Loney- TKO
Jay Caufield- TKO
Mike Eagles- KO
Neil Wilkinson- TKO

Great post, welcome aboard. Add PJ Stock to the list of kids we gave up on too soon. That kid was a cult hero here.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
NYROrtsFan

There is no enforcer that would stop that from happening.

And Simon can actually play some hockey so I wouldnt go throwing him into that "group."

And as long as incidents like the last Flyers game happens, those types of players are going to hang around.

Old
03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
chosen

Quote:
There is no enforcer that would stop that from happening.

And Simon can actually play some hockey so I wouldnt go throwing him into that "group."

And as long as incidents like the last Flyers game happens, those types of players are going to hang around.
I meant Orr not Simon (edited).

I think we are headed more in the direction of guys who can both fight and do other things as well. Orr is not that kind of player. You can argue he might become one but he ain't one now.